Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The good things about Fallout 4

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Everyone on the codex is a "woman"... :M

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, it is piss easy. You just need to make a combat character.

Not on Survival.

Played some more and came to a conclusion.

Fallout 4 is a better shooter+RPG hybrid than Borderlands 1 and 2.

The reason why I am playing F4 isn't because of quality of story and characters, no those are on the same level as the Fallout 3/Skyrim before them. Nope, it's the combat and crafting. I am pretty sure they got someone from iD software to help them in this area. You can see resemblance between animations during combat in F4 and RAGE. Not to mention, crafting is almost similar to the crafting in RAGE. It's a good thing.

I don't think you know what a good shooter is. Cause as a shooter, this game is a fucking abomination.

I mean is great if you are physically impaired and never played a fps before.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed it. Just finished the game.

It's a Bethesda game, so you know what to expect. The role-playing was a bit light, but I really enjoyed the main story and the choices you had to make. I even felt like I kinda fucked up at points with all the betrayals and stuff, and it was a long time since I felt like that in a rpg. So one big point to Bethesda for that.

Otherwise I like the combat a lot. Felt smooth and satisfying. Just make sure to download some UI mods that remove the "hidden"-stuff while sneaking and the enemy radar thingy + health-bars. It's easier to play the game as a true fps, then try to game it like a role-playing game, well, since combat and sneaking don't really seem to depend on any special skills, except maybe % more damage with specific weapons. Another thing I liked is how the game feels like a horror game from time to time. Creeping around the city by night, hearing distant gunfire and such. I don't know, the atmosphere can grab you if you let it, and some of the dungeons just feel out right creepy with the ghouls.

Just wished it there was more choices to be made outside the main-quest, and outside of factions. The cool thing with the main-quest is how it all feel interconnected with each other, the factions and the world. But everything else just exists in a vacuum. Sure, you can get someone to reference something sometime, but it is not often. Every building are its own little adventure, but I would rather have 1 big adventure than 10 smaller ones.

Dialogue system is both good and bad I guess. I mean, it feels more natural at times when talking to people. In the other games, people have an tendency to tell you their whole life story and here you were just to barter a bit. Here it's more to the point. I kinda liked that. You get a short introduction and you are set. It feels more natural. I'm thinking about PoE for an example. Anyway, you don't have to be a personal best friend with everyone in the wasteland. But at the same time, when talking to important characters it sure feels a bit lacking. One of the greatest things for me in a rpg is when you finally get to meet the big bad guy, or just someone you "admire" and you get the chance to talk and ask questions. Unfortunately in Fallout 4 it's over all too quick. I would love to go more in-depth on certain topics especially in the main-quest, but alas.

Overall I liked it. I know it's popular to hate on Bethesda but I feel they hit home (somewhat) with this game.

Settlement perks, hacking, and modding. Not a single combat perk, Strength 3, Percetion 5 (used to be 4, found a bobblehead), Endurance 3 and Agility 3. Used the Power Armor all of once, and I'm completely fine. Maybe because traps and a good kitted out sniper rifle don't give a shit about your stats, eh?

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Mates - there are lots of things to love about Fallout 4. Don't believe me - there are loads of comments on the Interweb about it. From a simple 5 minute trawl through metacritic user reviews.

Imagine a Venn diagram if you will

Good for people who like shooters

Gun play is vastly improved to give the game a good weapon handling feeling

The new Power Armor actually FEELS like Power Armor

The gun modding system is by far the best addition to the series though

My favorite game of all time is Bioshock, for its blend of story, action, FPS, exploration and beautifully crafted levels and atmosphere. Well Fallout 4 delivers on all these in spades, above ground the world is rich, alive and dangerous!

It has more complexity than the New Vegas landscape and reminds me more of GTAV and I cant wait to explore all of it

The gunplay is a remarkable improvement, as is expected with the amount of time between Fallout 3 and 4, and the two best words to describe it are modern and fulfilling

The adittion of more Legendary creatures that drop better gear and weapons is nice

Gunplay is great and makes combat in the wasteland feel very visceral especially when put up against the new AI

This is the best FPS that was ever made in the PC gaming history

Excellent work, Bethesda. As a casual mainstream console gamer, and loyal diehard fans of Call of Duty, and Ubisoft's user-friendly sandbox action games, I never like Bethesda’s Elder Scroll series or Fallout series, because they lack fantastic action elements, have long dialogue with clunky choices, and are too complicated due to their frustrating attribute and skill system, in which casual gamers don’t know what’s going on in the character level-up mechanism and miss the fantastic gun blazing moments in Call of Duty

Addition of Call of Duty FPS mechanics, and introduction of bullet time, both are the best features highly praised by casual FPS gamers

Good for people who like Sims

The building aspect alone has been keeping me occupied for hours

Deciding whether to keep a neighbours sofa for use in your own home or scrap it for parts is a nice touch and I love the way NPCs come and live with you and can be assigned as workers

Every object in the world is placed with care and though, every object has functions

I enjoy the voice acting and while the voiced name is mostly a "gimmick", hopefully it can be used by modders and expanded upon by Bethesda in future updates/DLC and upcoming games

I can understand some peoples criticism of the minecraft, base building elements but I feel it just drew me in to the story a bit more

Character creation is the best tool I've ever seen for sculpting faces

I crafted numerous items and I indeed began to get the place quite palatial

I had a sweet rooftop terrace come patio going on

In order to move the chair I could not shoot or defend myself so this involved a lot of moving it putting it down shooting bloat flies or ordering my faithful mutt dogmeat to get them

You can modify gear extensively. It's fun, if a bit annoying to hoard up the required components

My house in Diamond city makes me feel right at home in a Fallout game

The new crafting system is awesome, makes use of all the junk you pick up

For the first time in a Bethesda game you can create a Skinny, Muscular, or Fat character

There's tons of crafting in the game from cooking to chemistry to upgrading gear to building

Building settlements (Positive) - You can build a settlement then you can govern it

The customization in fallout 4 is unbelievable you can turn any gun into something you want and it makes it your weapon, you will feel more comfortable with the weapons, also you can build settlements which is weird but really interesting

Good for people who like iphones

Removal of annoying skill system, replaced by easy-to-learn perks

This game is the Apple of the gaming industry

Voice acting - I don't know why but everytime i hear my character's voice, i get excited

Good for people who like RPGs

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
- Companions aren't a WIN button any more. They seem to miss a lot and have trouble turning/tracking enemies
And they are immortal. Stupid and stuck in every texture.
- No more dump stats. In New Vegas charisma, agility and perception were completely useless. In F4, all of the attributes seem useful
And since you can now raise up any attribute stat on each level AND because there is no level limit now they are ALL dump stats, because no matter what your initial stars are, you can level them all you want.
- In general the AI seems to be more alert. If you can see them, they can probably see you
Especially that now stealth is non-functional apart from long-range sniping.
- The combat animations are well done and varied
Maybe that's why net is full of animation glitches and retarded xamples of people falling stucking in the floor.
- The armor/weapon mods are really cool
And you have to mod every single piece of armor with bland and boring mods, like +1 DR,+2 DR etc, and for that first you have to farm shitload of junk.
- Power armor is now way better. Instead of being just another armor, it has its own mechanics and upgrades, including a jetpack (!)
And you get it at the first quest...and all around the wasteland...and from encounters, where it is guarded by bloatflies. Plus a limited use due to running on fusion cores - a mechanic only a complete imbeciles would appreciate.
- Lockpicking is harder
If you fail Bethesda's minigame master locks with more than 3 bobby pins, then you are mentally challenged.

Sykar

Arcane
/snip

Good for people who like RPGs

9e65ee978616fbf68ee2dca95dc644fe7a55a432c49b06b397aa40c4ff428cdc.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed it. Just finished the game.

It's a Bethesda game, so you know what to expect. The role-playing was a bit light, but I really enjoyed the main story and the choices you had to make. I even felt like I kinda fucked up at points with all the betrayals and stuff, and it was a long time since I felt like that in a rpg. So one big point to Bethesda for that.

Otherwise I like the combat a lot. Felt smooth and satisfying. Just make sure to download some UI mods that remove the "hidden"-stuff while sneaking and the enemy radar thingy + health-bars. It's easier to play the game as a true fps, then try to game it like a role-playing game, well, since combat and sneaking don't really seem to depend on any special skills, except maybe % more damage with specific weapons. Another thing I liked is how the game feels like a horror game from time to time. Creeping around the city by night, hearing distant gunfire and such. I don't know, the atmosphere can grab you if you let it, and some of the dungeons just feel out right creepy with the ghouls.

Just wished it there was more choices to be made outside the main-quest, and outside of factions. The cool thing with the main-quest is how it all feel interconnected with each other, the factions and the world. But everything else just exists in a vacuum. Sure, you can get someone to reference something sometime, but it is not often. Every building are its own little adventure, but I would rather have 1 big adventure than 10 smaller ones.

Dialogue system is both good and bad I guess. I mean, it feels more natural at times when talking to people. In the other games, people have an tendency to tell you their whole life story and here you were just to barter a bit. Here it's more to the point. I kinda liked that. You get a short introduction and you are set. It feels more natural. I'm thinking about PoE for an example. Anyway, you don't have to be a personal best friend with everyone in the wasteland. But at the same time, when talking to important characters it sure feels a bit lacking. One of the greatest things for me in a rpg is when you finally get to meet the big bad guy, or just someone you "admire" and you get the chance to talk and ask questions. Unfortunately in Fallout 4 it's over all too quick. I would love to go more in-depth on certain topics especially in the main-quest, but alas.

Overall I liked it. I know it's popular to hate on Bethesda but I feel they hit home (somewhat) with this game.
Double-Facepalm-Picard-01.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Why the face-palm? For me liking the game overall? For liking something specific within the game? Factions? Last time I felt like factions mattered was in New Vegas. Before that, lets see... Risen.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
good things:

1. power armor 3D rendering and concept. too bad that is of limited use.
Facing supermutants should always require to have power armor equipped.

2. some music tracks because they're reminiscent to Fallout 1.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good thing:
Idiots (read modders) willing to fix Bethesda mess for no pay.

Bad thing:
Everything else.

Drakron

Arcane
I suspect there is a lot of content that was cut, question is if it was cut for being shoved as DLC or because they run out of time.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another thing I liked is how the game feels like a horror game from time to time. Creeping around the city by night, hearing distant gunfire and such. I don't know, the atmosphere can grab you if you let it, and some of the dungeons just feel out right creepy with the ghouls.
Turn out the lights, put on yer headphones, sneak in to the
Museum of Witchcraft

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
I will preface with a red faced admission that I am, for all intents and purposes, a virtual game world Plyushkin.

d0bfd0bbd18ed188d0bad0b8d0bd-250x296.png

I sit all the day long collecting so called "junk" so that I may store it in my garage. Just in case I will need that dirty ashtray one day.
I don't actually "do" anything with this junk but I MUST collect this junk after each building I enter. Trudging back and forth from one conquered apocalyptic factory shell to the next. My pockets and bags full of surprises and wonders. Creeping along the Wasteland roads is an especially joyous past time as that activity often yields the remains of fallen adversaries from an armed altercation I can only imagine the reasons for. The filthy long johns of tattooed raider bitches festoon my living room. Sometimes I fashion a rug from their mud and blood soaked garments. I revel Mama Murphy with tales of how I stripped their bodies and left them for the bloatflies while we sip radioactive cocktails in our shanty made for two. Nuclear apocalypse is the best thing ever happened to me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dark humor is abundant in F4. My favorite kind. Devious and twisted people crafted this game world for their flock of mutants to enjoy.

All by itself a little red buggy vehicle sits sadly in the forest. Jangles the Moon Monkey pilots the motionless transport while listening to distant songs on a forgotten radio. Best to leave Jangles alone lest you mistakenly rile Swan's cousin Lennie. Lennie fashioned a walking stick from an old fire hydrant and an oak tree the clever lad. Jangles is his best friend in the whole world.

My interest was piqued at the sight of an old abandoned pram sitting alone at the entrance to some dark hole or another. Perhaps some tasty leftover was sitting in it? Sadly, no, just one lone pack of cigarettes sat on the pillow of a pram that never held a babe in it's embrace.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
UNB0ATB.jpg

I have no idea why random Brahmin has this name. No mods used.

So you have not stopped traveling merchants to buy or sell stuff? Do you think the game designers are not competent enough to craft a mutated ox that would simply follow the merchant like a tail? Never bothering potential customers on the road by waiting like a lap dog in Paris Hilton's purse. Or did the designers create a somewhat randomly waddling 2 headed 4 ton nuisance who has a few guards in tow? Just enough reason to not point blank a shotgun shell or 10 in it's blankly staring cud chewing skull because the merchant is worth more alive than KIA? How many times has an Idiot blundered in to my Toon while perusing a merchant's inventory. Too many.

What's for dinner tonight? Brahmin steak. Yum.

Bradylama

Arcane
And since you can now raise up any attribute stat on each level AND because there is no level limit now they are ALL dump stats, because no matter what your initial stars are, you can level them all you want.

Actually you should really avoid pumping up base stats when you could be getting a new perk. The thing is though, any stat can be a dump stat depending on the type of character that you're planning. Charisma especially will always be a dump stat because you can get equipment that boosts it up to 6 from 1, and on top of that there are Grape Mentats you can make which boost your Charisma an additional five points. They don't gate off the Mentats either by requiring Chemist perks, anybody can make them with the ingredients. So unless you want to do settlement shit, or get the Lone Survivor perks, Charisma is a complete waste. You can save in the middle of a conversation too at every dialogue prompt, which means you can just savescum until the RNG passes the check.

Hypothetically there's no level cap and you could max every stat and be super SPECIAL if you want, but if you spent your perk points correctly you're going to be massively OP by level 42 anyways, if not 32.

Strength is also useless for anybody other than melee, big gunners, and hip shooters, because carry weight isn't gated with low strength at all. Each additional point of strength adds a whopping TEN POUNDS to your carry weight, from a minimum of 210.

Endurance is completely garbage. They put Toughness right at the top for 1 END, which is really the best perk in the whole tree, and you can supplement lower health with END boosting equipment or damage reducing chems. All the other END perks are for really niche shit like breathing underwater or making rads heal you. None of which can't be made up for with chemicals.

Intelligence is also fucked because a lot of its perks are rendered effectively useless. Unless you want to plan a character that synergizes Science with Armorer for the nicest Power Armor upgrades, most of the perks on the tree are rendered moot by the way the game was designed. Hacking doesn't gate off much but a few isolated storage rooms. There's typically always a password or a key somewhere. Gun Nut is effectively useless, because you can take mods off of a weapon and store it for use with another one. Guns are so plentiful that, so long as you're patient enough, you'll eventually pick up a weapon which has the mod you're looking for so you can swap it out. That makes Gun Nut a convenience perk for the early game which ends up being a waste later on. Nuclear Physicist is effectively pointless because Fusion Cores are so plentiful that you'll never conceivably run out in the first place. And to top it all off, you can get a ton more XP from the Idiot Savant perk if your intelligence is kept low, and Idiot Savant triggers for quest XP as well as kills.

JVIkUEU.png

Compared to Charisma, Intelligence, and Endurance - Perception, Agility, and Luck have a ton of great perks to choose from and boost combat ability for any kind of character build except hip shooters. The whole system is a horribly imbalanced piece of shit that punishes players for not min/maxing. It hamstrings the appeal of the settlement system by gating off the most important elements behind the worst stat, and has a garbage distribution spread of perks between the stats.

baturinsky

Arcane
You need Int6 for Science (needed for PA mods) and Cha6 for Local Leader.
In theory, both are not strictly necessary. But what's the point of playing Fo4 without PA pimped up to the nines and a luxurios estate complete with best shops money can buy?

Endurance, on the other hand, is pretty meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom