Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New Vegas Mod thread

aron searle

Arcane
I'm not looking for tweak mods, I.e mods that change or add to game mechanics (I have those).

But mods that add areas and content, but not overly unbalanced or cheese.

I tried "a world of pain", but fuck it was stupid, it added so much unbalanced stuff that I had several thousand caps before even leaving good springs, and starting enemies had plasma rifles.

Project Nevada is less derp than some of the shit that is out there, but it is by no means perfect... it's just the best there is at the moment.

Gord

Arcane
For quests mods you can have a look at the stuff by PuceMoose.
I liked some of his stuff for FO3, but haven't really played his FONV mods yet.
He's got a, let's say "unique" style you might like or not, so check it out and see for yourself.
Tales from the burning sand

New Vegas Bounties is also considered quite good.

And then, of course, there's the quest category on the Nexus

sirfink

Scholar
New Vegas Bounties is extremely popular. However, it's not that great. It's just hunting various "boss" type guys around the Wasteland, many of whom carry very overpowered gear. Also, the voice acting is horrible as -- like all mods with VO -- the guy recorded it with his cheap headset microphone. But hey, you might like it.

Tycn

Savant
Stereotypical Villain said:
Project Nevada is less derp than some of the shit that is out there, but it is by no means perfect... it's just the best there is at the moment.
This.

Plus EVE for graphics whoredom and you're good to go.

Misterhamper

Scholar
From what I have read (haven't played those yet), those quest/land mods should be pretty good and derp-free:

Area 51 - Project Roswell

Paradise Lost

Rust Town

Tales from the Burning Sand

Goodsprings Filler

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
aron searle said:
I'm not looking for tweak mods, I.e mods that change or add to game mechanics (I have those).

Since Jaesun wouldn't let me start my own thread I'll ask my question here (even though it's the exact OPPOSITE of what you are asking for)...

What tweak mods do you have installed? I have yet to play NV so I don't want any fanboy added content. Going to mod sites is... interesting to say the least. You spend more time sifting through nude, Cloud Sword, and romance mods than actually finding good ones that fix the console-related annoyances of NV.

Any help is appreciated.

Gord

Arcane
Depends on what you are looking for specifically, but there are a number of basic and/or generally interesting mods out.

For the UI I recommend Darns Darnified UI for New Vegas, should make the interface much nicer.
There are other UI mods though, and Darn has vanished about half a year ago, so they may have more features.
Project Nevada might help if you want better shooter elements, but I've not used it yet. FWE for FO3 which it was based on was interesting though.
Other options are Arwens realism overhaul or XFO's New Vegas overhaul. All three are modular.
For better textures look for Ojo/Poco Bueno, improves quite a lot of the vanilla textures.
And for weapon textures there is the weapon retexture project.
If you want more/better weapon mods grab either Weapon mods expanded (WMX) or weapon mod expander (WME).
For better weapon effects there's EVE, plays well with WME, not so well with WMX right now.

Go and look them up on the Nexus, can't be arsed to do it myself right now.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't have many balance mods or straight-up new content, however, I do have a few that chance the game in subtle, but very positive ways, if those are up your alley.

If you don't have New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE), get it ASAP. New Vegas Mod Manager is also great for... well, yeah, what it says.

A couple of technical ones: the FNV 4GB patch removes a lot of the game's crashing and stuttering, plus allows it to use more RAM. You'll find it on the NVSE page if you use NVSE; if you don't, there's another version on the Nexus somewhere. Additionally, there's the New Vegas Stutter Remover, which uses script injections to fix a lot of the game's buggy code, improve performance, and generally make the game more stable. It works brilliantly for me, and has removed almost all stuttering while also allowing me to disable v-sync without the game running too fast. Unfortunately, it has yet to be updated for the latest patch, but keep the link on hand in case it is: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/ ... p?id=34832

As for actual gameplay mods,

1) Brighter Larger Radius Pip-Boy Light, makes the flashlight actually useful.

2) Bindable Pip-Boy Light, allows you to set up a custom key to turn the light on and off. Unfortunately I can't find any links to it at the moment. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/ ... p?id=35631 may be a reasonable alternative.

3) Easy Unlocking and Hacking, makes the mini-games super easy when you pass the skill check for lockpicking and hacking. Removes a lot of tedium.

4) Sprint Mod, allows you to sprint faster when holding down a key. Consumes AP as stamina, giving more incentive to increase agility, both for combat and exploration.

5) New Vegas Map Markers, adds a bunch of map markers to certain locations around New Vegas, mostly concentrated around the Strip. Extremely useful if you ever get tired of crossing through Freeside all the time.

6) Inventory Sorters, adds prefixes to inventory items to make it much easier to find them in the inventory list (i.e. food items marked with [FOOD], healing items marked with [AID]).

7) Sensible Dismemberment, significantly reduces chances of dismembering and exploding limbs, while allowing certain weapons to dismember in more logical/realistic ways, i.e. a shotgun will no longer decapitate, but it will still cause heads to explode.

8) Immersive Karma, removes messages for gaining and losing karma, as well as sound effects.

9) Karma-Less Petty Crime NV, stealing no longer causes karma loss.

10) Community Bugfix Compilation Patch, what it says on the tin. More or less New Vegas' version of the Fallout 3 Unofficial patch, albeit less extensive.

Last, unless you have an alternative you prefer, DarN's new UI for New Vegas, similar in function to the ones he made for Fallout 3 and Oblivion, can be found here: http://ui.darnified.net/wip/DUIFONV/v1/DUINVv04.7z Unfortunately, DarN has apparently disappeared off the face of the earth, so it hasn't been updated in a long while, but it still works just fine.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
mindx2 said:
Thanks Gord and sea. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions are welcome. Is the NVSE difficult to setup?
I can't speak for pirated versions, but running it using Steam, all you need to do is copy the files to your game install folder. There are instructions on the NVSE web site, here: http://nvse.silverlock.org/

Gord

Arcane
Not at all, extract it into your New Vegas folder and that's it.
By some evil magic they have managed to make it start automatically I think.

Edit:
Regarding sea's comment: I don't know about pirated versions, but if you have a localized no-gore version (like myself) you may need to install a bloodpatch first for NVSE to recognize the .exe.
Oh and btw., I'm afraid "Sensible Dismemberment" above links to the FO3 version. Don't know about a FONV version.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah, I'm no pirate. I'm a collector as well so I have my collector's edition sitting on the shelf. Finally getting around to playing it after playing through a lot of retro games lately (Chaos Strikes Back, WC2, U6, with a little Thief thrown in).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'll just keep my shit posts in GD.

Edit: Alright, which mod wants to fess up?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've tried both of the "Area 51" mods and they, along with all the other supposed content-adding mods, were incredibly retarded. Rife with spelling and grammatical errors, no voiceovers (which is understandable) and as mentioned often completely unbalanced, made me dump them immediately.

Even the DLC's suck because they tend to vary from NV's formula so drastically which is barely good enough to tolerate GameBryo as it is.

My advice is to stick with your favorite game mechanics mods and enjoy the original content. It's all decent enough to waste your time on.

My favorite useful mods are

4GB Enabler (if you can find this still, makes NV run much smoother and works properly now after the latest patch -- no more arms swingly wildly over your head)

I Hate Cazadors -- self-explanatory

The various weight mods -- adds weight from caps and adjusts weights on other items to make more sense

All the texture mods, as mentioned

Centered 3rd Person -- self-explanatory

Others I can't recall right now.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Jaesun said:
Crispy said:
I Hate Cazadors -- self-explanatory

Fuck people are morans.

??

You didn't feel that the overgrown mosquitoes were just a *little* too hard to kill?

Or did you just mean that most people wouldn't immediately understand the nature of that mod?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom