Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New Vegas Mod thread

Radisshu

Prophet
Crispy said:
Fuck you.

The stock Cazadores are ridiculously overpowered. They also serve no function in the game other than being a nuisance, appearing nowhere in any quests. In fact, they're so annoying at the beginning of the game if you don't specifically roll up a SUPAR HEAVY GUN WIELDING DEATHDEELERR that it's enough to turn one off from the game quickly.

These things are insects, mutant or not, with transparent wings, FFS. A few shotgun blasts is all it should take to take them down, NOT more damage than a huge armored radscorpion would take.

God damned apologists.

I thought so too until I realised all you need to do is aim for the wings.

Yes, but aiming is for faggots. Real men just point the shotgun in a direction and mash the trigger, praying to kill whatever is between them and their freedom to go anywhere at level 1.

But seriously Crispy, they're flying things with bright orange wings. It never occurred to you that shooting them there would make things much easier?

tumblr_l606c1aSb41qbzf0vo1_500.jpg

Oh god where am I supposed to shoot oh god oh god

legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-link-queen-gohma-sword-300x225.jpg

oh

edit; regarding their hitpoints: Cazadores have 200 HP but 0 DT, while Radscorpion Queens have 200 HP and 18 DT.

Caesar has 220 HP. WTF HAX ??!?!?!?!?!1

aron searle

Arcane
The real issue with Cazadores is Vats.

You can pump agility to the max, but until you get to very high levels (and can choose perks that + to action points), you only have enough action points to deal with 1 of the fuckers at a time.

2-3 and they move so fast you will find it quickly dissolves into typical fucking madness shit shoot like crazy 1st person shooter when dealing with cazadores (don't bullshit that you can hit their wings without vats).

Unless you cheesy abuse the AI, in which case you can pick them off 1 by 1 at level 1 with a peashooter.

EvilSatan

Educated
You bro's never threw grenades, nukes, missiles, or sniped Cazadors?

How can you call yourself RPG players if you are only using banal boring gun weapons and not flamethrowers, energy weapons and the like?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seeing how quickly they moved, along with their lack of DT, made it seem obvious to me that they were made to be killed with DPS weapons. And kill them I did. The 9mm SMG, a tier 2 weapon, has a base DPS of 154. So it takes a little more than a second of sustained fire to kill a single 'dor and your DPS weapons only just keep getting better from there and Cazadors won't ever have more than 200 HP (except the legendary one who has 400 but hey, the top tier 12.7mm smg has a base DPS of 324 so still no problems there as long as you came reasonably prepared)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Roguey said:
Seeing how quickly they moved, along with their lack of DT, made it seem obvious to me that they were made to be killed with DPS weapons. And kill them I did. The 9mm SMG, a tier 2 weapon, has a base DPS of 154. So it takes a little more than a second of sustained fire to kill a single 'dor and your DPS weapons only just keep getting better from there and Cazadors won't ever have more than 200 HP (except the legendary one who has 400 but hey, the top tier 12.7mm smg has a base DPS of 324 so still no problems there as long as you came reasonably prepared)
I assumed the Legendary Cazador was one hard motherfucker, so instead lay a bunch of C4 in the tunnel and ran away with the detonator.

A high enough skill in either guns or energy weapons will allow you to cripple that motherfucker with one (in the case of an Anti-Material Rifle), or a couple (in the case of a Plasma Rifle), shots... after that... well, it's not exactly hard after the fucking thing is slowed down.

Gord

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Project Nevada, worth it ? Also, does this and the other mods work with Old World Blues installed?

The predecessor for FO3, FWE was worth trying out, so I guess the same may apply to PN. If you are into the kind of stuff they introduce, go for it.
It should work after installing OWB, but everything introduced with OWB (enemies, guns, etc.) won't be affected probably until they make a patch.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
aron searle said:

You can pump agility to the max, but until you get to very high levels (and can choose perks that + to action points), you only have enough action points to deal with 1 of the fuckers at a time.

2-3 and they move so fast you will find it quickly dissolves into typical fucking madness shit shoot like crazy 1st person shooter when dealing with cazadores (don't bullshit that you can hit their wings without vats).

Unless you cheesy abuse the AI, in which case you can pick them off 1 by 1 at level 1 with a peashooter.

First of all, you regular Cazadores (not young ones) should not be tangled with until you are ready to handle Deathclaws. Avoiding the outer-reaches of the map will nearly guarantee you can avoid them. Also, get a good shotgun or submachine gun and aim for their wings in VATS. That's really all it takes. If you are commenting on how hard they are, yeah, they are SUPPOSE to be hard.

Why do I get the feeling many people that complain about Cazadors are the ones who are targeting their heads in VATS? I never had problems with them and actually enjoy fighting them. I just figured since they move so fast and do it with their wings those should be areas to target first and it somehow turned out to be true.

Saxon1974

Prophet
aron searle said:

This is my main problem with this game and all major action rpgs today. There all FPS hybrids. I think the game would be much more fun if the combat was turn based where all enemies have actions points and it went round by round. Thu combat in the game feels like im playing half life.

Only other complaint so far is the world seems crammed to close together. The first town and second town I went to were a 5 minute walk apart.

Also, where are the Mexicans? Have the designers ever been to the southwest?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think people WAY over analyze the Cazadores, and just need to accept they are a high level creature and get over it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Let it be known that I made an attempt to respect op's thread, but he hasn't chimed in so I'll assume it's okay to continue this conversation.

I'll accept criticizm for the perception that I can't deal with a Cazador. I can see how that became the prevailing opinion. But it's not true. One of them was never a problem. True -- aim at wings, slow the thing down, step on its head and pump it full of lead. No problem.

But yeah, it's rarely just one, isn't it? Usually you're going to encounter two, three adults, often along with their young. Get a swarm of these things around any character less than maybe 15th level and you've got a problem.

Well, after the fact, just reload then sneak attack with a few grenades. That should take care of them. Nope. Cripple a few, but you're soon surrounded anyway. Reload again.

Try spamming VATS this time. Great. One down. Out of points. RT here we come. RUN! Reload.

Well, fuck. Just spray with your 12.7mm SMG. Where the fuck do I find one of those? I got a 10mm one with 150 rounds. Okay, I survived this time, but I'm down to 5% health and now I'm almost out of ammo. Hmm. This was just a "random encounter". Worth it? Fuck that. Reload.

Why not just skip whatever quest you're currently doing? Head in a different direction? Okay, good point. Reload, start sneaking away...

Hey, wait a minute. This isn't the first time I've encountered these things. They've been a pain in the ass all over the Mohave. They never seem to be related to any quests, and they're constantly often enough forcing me to reroute (Edit: that was a bit hyperbolic, so corrected), to run out of ammo if I decide to fight a pack of them, they swarm and mutilate any of my NPC's, they're just plain fucking my shit up. I wonder...

Oh yeah, there's a simple little mod that doesn't REMOVE them from the game, doesn't COMPLETELY GIMP them, it just brings their HP down to a REASONABLE level. Why am I using caps, that's gay. Anyway let me tell you, in all the years that I've been playing RPG's, if there had been similar mods, ones that were designed responsibly, and that only corrected what in my mind was/is a glaring error in the balance of a particularly annoying and pointless encounter, whether it were designed unreasonably tough for a low-level character, or were unreasonably overpopulous in the game, such as our favorite Cliff Racers, or maybe the ridiculous number of encounters in the Orc Caves, etc., you can be damned sure I would've downloaded and installed those babies, feeling that my usage of them were justified, judicious, and not unreasonable, from a "self-DM'ing" standpoint.

Is this LARPing? Is it copping out? I don't think so, and believe me, I am a stickler for game balance, authenticity, and not being a CRPG pussy.

I Hate Cazadores, as I mentioned, was one of the first mods I downloaded for NV. And I'm glad I did.

EvilSatan

Educated
Face it Crispy, the one challenging aspect of FONV you bitch out from. Sad stuff breh.

You seriously want to VATS an entire pack of Cazadores? Why not just smash A for awesome?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
:roll:

This isn't GD, dude. Put up some kind of valid point or GTFO. I listed many ways attempting to deal with the things, VATS being only one and VATS being one suggested several times ITT of doing so.

In the end I felt the things were just a WTF? creature overlooked by the otherwise fairly well-balanced creature list put in by Obsidian. So I corrected it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think Crispy plays on hard difficulty, I understand cazadores can get a pain in the ass because of the HP bloat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How are Cazadores that big a deal? I mean, they're hard, but they're supposed to be. I took them out with a cowboy repeater no problem.

Drakron

Arcane
Poison mostly, Deathclaws are tough because they hit like a truck but there is no after effects ... Cazadores on the other hand have a nasty poisoning effect that will eat out your HP even after combat is done.

Also a good way to lose followers.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Excidium said:
I think Crispy plays on hard difficulty, I understand cazadores can get a pain in the ass because of the HP bloat.

Yes, Hard with "Hardcore". Again, taking on one or maybe even two I could handle at the time. (Clarfication: now, with my guy at I think 30th level, they're no problem even in groups) It was just the swarms of them, especially on me right away when warping out of fast travel to certain locations, that made me ragequit one too many times.

Appealing to the court of RPG Codex opinion here: please take my word for it that I enjoy a challenge. My post history regarding RPG's should bear that out. I truly just felt that these things needed a little nudge in the right direction to bring them more inline with the difficulty of all the other creatures I was encountering AT MY LEVEL. Had they only appeared later on, in the more remote locations, I'd have no problem with them and I'd actually relish the challenge.

Oh, and BTW, switching back to Normal difficulty is something I'd never stoop to. ;)

BALANCE. GIVE ME BALANCE.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Something else to chew on: as soon as the mod comes out to tone down the dragons (their appearance frequency) in Skyrim, I'll be the first to download it. That is, if they become derp-level annoying.

Are you guys sure you aren't exaggerating stuff?

In NV my characters (2 playthroughs, getting on the 2nd one now) can handle ANYTHING at lvl 10ish (12-13?) with a few shooting related perks and any decent firearm (which are readily available, more than 50% of the firearms are viable). Just sneak, and snipe them. I play on Very Hard and Hardcore (which doesn't matter in this case).

Crispy do you walk straight into packs of cazadores or something for them to charge at you in this way? You can snipe a single target at the edge of a pack from far away, and even if you miss, only 1-3 will notice you and be on alert. Shoot a few more times, and even if you miss, the few on alert will break away and move towards you so you can pick them off in smaller clumps.

And in tight quarters like caverns, sneak.

I seriously don't understand why 'difficulty' in NV is even an issue, other than the lack of it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy is an old man with slow reflexes. It's only natural he finds shooters overwhelming for his crippled cognitive capabilities.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Crispy said:
Oh, and BTW, switching back to Normal difficulty is something I'd never stoop to. ;)

BALANCE. GIVE ME BALANCE.
The problem is that those games are balanced to be played on Normal, increase difficulty and the enemies just get bloated Health bars. they're still dumbfucks running in your direction with a sledgehammer, but this time taking three times more headshots until they drop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom