Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thinking of replaying BG1?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
And you'd like to utilize either TuTu or Trilogy but are bummed about the changes done to animal/monster summoning and animate dead spells in BG2? I know I was.

So check this out:
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=110&Itemid=83

You want Ding0s Tweak pack, currently on version 20. WeiDU compatible, can be installed after all other mods. The most important tweak is the very last one:

22: Ghreyfain's BG1-Style Summoning Spells(BG1Tutu Compatible!)
One of the first things that can be noticed in BG2 is how very weak the Monster Summoning X spells are. This component strives to bring things more in-line with how they were in BG1. Monster Summoning I will summon either 8 level 1 creatures, or 4 level 2 monsters. Monster Summoning II summons a total of 12 levels of monsters. That's either 6 level 2 monsters or 4 level 3 monsters. MS III will summon 16 levels. 5 level 3 creatures and a 1 level 1, or 4 level 4s, or 3 level 5s and a level 1 creature.
Animal summoning works in the same manner.
Animate Dead will summon 1 skeleton per level of the caster, and now they come equipped with a random variety of helms, shields, and weapons. They're also not green. At level 13, some of these skeletons are exchanged for a Skeleton Warrior, a more powerful ally.
This component will automatically remove the summoning cap if you have not already done so.

Yehaaw!

Also, has anyone ever finished the Ankheg culling quest in BG1? The lady wants you to kill 10 Ankhegs - I've been slaying dozens of them and she's never satisfied. I seem to remember finishing it when playing vanilla, so maybe of the mods accidentally broke it.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
That sounds like a bug. I successfully completed it with just TuTu installed. It's possible you need to kill specific ankhegs to the (north?)east of her.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Did you slaughter them without reloading the map? I remember playing BGT(with lots of mods) a while ago and finishing that quest just fine.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Hmm, I did kill 11 on the map, without going into the cave or the houses. There's very little room east or north-east of her. Oh well, not a big deal.

Also, if someone didn't realize, the removal of summoning cap also affects enemies. Thanks to SCS beefing up enemy spellcasters in general, you might find yourself facing a veritable horde of summoned enemy monsters. Nice!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes. I was hoping more it would be something about fixing all the stuff TUTU breaks. If they get that wrapper application working, then it will be incline of TUTU.

I don't get the point of this mod?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"Thinking of replaying BG1?"
Nope.

"We fixed monster summoning!"
Still nope.

"And other stuff too!"
*loads gun*

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"Thinking of replaying BG1?"
Yup, started a new game just a week ago. No mods, no bullshit, no changes. :cool:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
BGT is the way to go.

Agreed. Both BGT and TUTU break stuff in BG, but I more prefer what BGT breaks over TUTU.

What's the differences in breakage?
I know TuTu messes some with the spawns, summonings and druid abilities, but there are mods that try to balance summonings and druid abilities.
But BGT gives BG2 experience to BG1 thieves for lockpicking and trap disarming, which I personally would think is more unbalancing.

Been some years since I lasted played the BG games, though, so things may have changed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BGT is the way to go.

Agreed. Both BGT and TUTU break stuff in BG, but I more prefer what BGT breaks over TUTU.

What's the differences in breakage?
I know TuTu messes some with the spawns, summonings and druid abilities, but there are mods that try to balance summonings and druid abilities.
But BGT gives BG2 experience to BG1 thieves for lockpicking and trap disarming, which I personally would think is more unbalancing.

Been some years since I lasted played the BG games, though, so things may have changed.

Off the top of my head, TUTU breaks monster spawning in BG1 (they are just wacky spawns), and Korax is completely broken. BGT also breaks spawning, but I think it dows a better job of handling spawns better than TUTU (I'n my opinion).

However if that Wrapper App get's finished, none of that will matter anymore <3 Everything, in theory, can easily be fixed. I just pray they get that working.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Actually I was thinking about replaying Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II.

:troll:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Korax is completely broken.

The ghoul? How?

IIRC, the BGII engine can't cast charmed on him, thus he will never be friendly and then attack you. When you meet him in vanilla BG1, an "invisible" charm spell is cast on him. Then when it ends, he attacks you.

Korax hungry. VERY hungry...
No, at least in BGT he is charmed. Can't be sure about tutu since I haven't played that in a long time.

I don't get the point of this mod?
That if you played either Tutu or BGT, your summoning spells were limited to 5 creatures, like in BG2. With this, all summon spells work like in p&p, which is nice.

waywardOne

Arcane
I couldn't stand how Tutu made half the NPCs dual-wielders, basically raping the vanilla experience for no reason.

curry

Arcane
Baldur's Gate is hands down my all-time favourite cRPG (although by modern standards it doesn't have many RPG elements except a very riveting story). I got it when it was first released in late 90's and I've installed and finished it every now and then ever since.

I don't recommend using TUTU or BGT mods though. I think BG1 is best when you experience it without game-changing mods. The only mods I recommend are the widescreen mod and of course Baldurdash bug fixes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't recommend using TUTU or BGT mods though. I think BG1 is best when you experience it without game-changing mods. The only mods I recommend are the widescreen mod and of course Baldurdash bug fixes.

Agreed. I'm one of the 3 people on earth that actually like BG1 and I still don't like the changes of both TUTU and BGT, and use those 2 mods as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom