Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
An update of pressing the button of awesome! Nice.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edward_R_Murrow said:
best quest-giver in the whole game. Hope nothing bad happens to him...
Epic foreshadowing.

Great as always. I have the city quests fresh in my memory (though I skipped most of them in my LP), but reading Motherfucker Shepard's comments is a quality entertainment in itself.

By my calculations....new page?

Chapter 12: Dangling Questicles, Part I

You know what time it is? Time to wrap up all most of the side-quests in the city. Seeing as some of these are pretty meh, snark will be at an all time high.

4024.jpg

Time for some good, old-fashioned B&E.

4025.jpg

The crew runs into a bunch of guild thieves...there's no option to talk to them, and use your good standing with the thieves' guild to broker some sort of cooperation.

3967.jpg
:No honor among thieves? More like no communication among thieves...

4026.jpg

One of the thieves is dire charmed, making him a puppet of the party. I love this spell so very much.

4027.jpg

Webs are deployed, and Coran backstabs one of the enemy archers. Surprisingly, he survives. Though not for long.

4028.jpg

A backstab is then used to quickly kill the charmed thief once he has been used to kill his compatriots against his will.

4029.jpg

3967.jpg
:Yeah....about them....

4030.jpg

While in search of quests and loot, we find that Coran has a baby mama.

4031.jpg

Apparently, his baby mama had a husband...who was none too pleased when he found out his wife with up to some race-mixing, so he went and cursed the kid. No cursing the cheating wife, just the kid. Bioware evil at it's finest.

4032.jpg

The crew travels to the Low Lantern, a tavern, gambling den, and whorehouse situated on a ship in the harbor.

4033.jpg

4034.jpg

Shepard fails to pick up a couple of chicks who might just be a part of the Doomguard. Instead, they attack.

3967.jpg
:They're nihilists everybody, there's nothing to be afraid of...

4035.jpg

...except when one has gauntlets of ogre strength and the other is a powerful mage. Shepard takes a beating, and can't get much support because of the narrow confines and high probability of collateral damage.

4036.jpg

The crew finds Yago, the husband. He doesn't seem too smart.

4037.jpg

Nothing more needs be said.

4038.jpg

Lamest critical ever...though Coran does get the honor of killing the man who cursed his child, not like he likely gives a shit.

4039.jpg

On a quick resupply trip, we are told about two rival necromancers and their feud, while being advised to stay clear of them. Seeing as their feud involves banal fetch quests...I have no problem heeding this advice.

4040.jpg

The crew returns Yago's spellbook to Brielbara. She thanks the crew....

4041.jpg

...except for Coran.

3967.jpg
:And maybe someday, she won't be a cheating bitch with no sense of responsibility for her own actions.

4042.jpg

3967.jpg
:I smell a fetch quest...or is that just the diseased guy?

4043.jpg

More breaking and entering.

4044.jpg

A bunch of powerful ogre magi inhabit this house.

4045.jpg

Spells are cast, and shit starts going down.

4046.jpg

Apparently this fellow really needed to interrupt combat to speak his lines. Let's not even consider the logistics of why 5 ogre magi are hanging out in a locked manor if their mission is assassinating Shepard; couldn't they hang out somewhere more traveled...like an inn? Why rely on your mark breaking into a locked building for no reason?

3967.jpg
:To be fair, we pretty much do break into every house we encounter. They do know our methods at least.

4047.jpg

The ogres cast good spells, including summons, but the onslaught of disabling spells along with well placed fireballs spells their doom.

4048.jpg

BURN OGRES!

3967.jpg
:And burn they did.

4049.jpg

Another fetch quest around an angel skin ring. This one asks you to get the ring from inside a house. Although this quest can go one of two ways. If you're evil, you can actually kill the cat she is talking about and get a reward from the Uncle. Why any of this concerns you, or why this was used as a quest...anybody's guess.

4050.jpg

Quest over. Yay....

4051.jpg

Hey look, pixel hunt in the Three Old Kegs tavern.

4052.jpg

Here is the skull we need to deliver to the priestess of Tymora.

4053.jpg

4054.jpg

Shepard receives a quest to eliminate somebody who is blackmailing a noblewoman. Two-thousand for a quick hit is pretty nice, so the job is on.

4055.jpg

En route to the Tymora chapel, the crew is accosted by a distraught youth. QUEST MORE!

4056.jpg

4057.jpg

4058.jpg

4059.jpg

It turns out a high priest of Tymora needs somebody to retrieve his son's body from the the Umberlee worshippers of the Water Queen's House. Apparently the penalty for trespassing is death, because the Bitch Queen's followers are, well....they follow in their goddesses' example quite well.

4060.jpg

We deliver the skull, and get experience.

4061.jpg

Because we helped Tenya in the past, we can bargain for the child's body for free. Not a bad outcome.

4062.jpg

Shepard and crew prepare to return the boy's corpse to his father, when something doesn't exactly feel right.

3967.jpg
:Wait a minute...that outcome didn't feel right. Am I going soft? Only one way to fix things now...

4063.jpg

4064.jpg

Shepardizing too intense for the human eye (and MWSnap).

4065.jpg

The funny thing is you can find another child body on the high priestess if you exercised the Tenya option. The Umberlants really are into dead kids, it would seem, making the EXTREME Shepardization all the more deserved.

3967.jpg
:That feel's better. And I'm certain there will be no ill effects of massacring the entire clergy of a vengeful sea goddesses' temple...nope...nothing.

Actually...there aren't really any nasty consequences. But for storyfag LARP purposes....

4066.jpg

Prithee? Prithee? Gotta love the random injection of older English to give authenticity to the psuedo-medieval setting.

Note: I much preferred BG2's removal of most of this.

Second Note: I actually have no idea what period "prithee" was most used in.

4067.jpg

4068.jpg

Everything ends well here, especially seeing as the reward is a +1 Large Shield that gives an additional +4 against missile weapons. Score.

Next time, more Dangling Questicles.

Elzair

Cipher
Hey Edward, why aren't you using Algernon's Cloak? That has to be the most broken items in Baldur's Gate!

Chapter 13: Dangling Questicles, Part II

More side-questing...it's almost over, and then just four more chapters until the conclusion of BG1, that many readers five or so people have been eagerly awaiting not really expecting to ever happen.

4069.jpg

Shepard finds the target that the noblewoman wanted gone. He has him go to a more secluded area, offering some "goods".

4070.jpg

3967.jpg
:The plot thickens....

Oh, and you can see Coran behind Cyrdemac, hidden and ready to backstab. Cyrdemac didn't last long. And that's probably what she said.

4071.jpg

Nobody shortchanges Commander Shepard. Now you're paying Shepard the cash money.

Time to go bust into a guy named Ragefast's house.

4072.jpg

True to his name, he hulks immediately.

4073.jpg

Logic powah!

4074.jpg

It's like PS:T up in this dialogue, yo.

4075.jpg

Huh, usually that line of dialogue works to bring about a peaceful solution. Oh well, might have gotten the inverted reaction bonus bug. Whatever the case, the mage dies quicker than he raged.

4076.jpg

Quest over. Or is it? Time to go pay Ramazith a visit.

4077.jpg

3967.jpg
:Hey asshole, you scry where I'm going to shove my sword?

No point in showing screens of climbing up a tower, fighting some trash, and then brutalizing another mage, right? Nothing really exciting happens, except Shepard and crew acquire nice loot, like a Ring of Protection +2, an Amulet that gives a bonus Level 2 mage spell a day, and a tome that increases Intelligence by one. Score.

4078.jpg

More breaking and entering, met by an effeminate, yet murderous butler, with loads of magic resistance.

4079.jpg

3967.jpg
:Resist this!

Awesome Button Status: Continually pressed down.

4080.jpg

This guy is butthurt about his butler's death. I'm sensing something between them...something that may also cause butthurt.

4081.jpg

Lightning and wolfies help to soften this guy up for a barrage of arrows. The party loots a nice Helm of Glory that confers an armor bonus, a save bonus, and a point of charisma to the wearer.

4082.jpg

Shepard trades in the nymph hair for a nice cloak that can boost charisma, as well as charm people.

4083.jpg

Yeah...what a line.

4084.jpg

Shepard again, presses the button of awesome, delivering some overkill. He then retrieves a ring of wizardry from the gibbed mess that was the mage.

4085.jpg

4086.jpg

Stopping at a local inn to rest, Shepard and the crew encounter a fellow band of adventurers, and swap tales.

4087.jpg

Another adventuring band comes in, and Shepard tells them off, leading to a brawl.

3967.jpg
:Maybe they should really work on their people skills...

4088.jpg

The Maulers are a group of well equipped, high-level combatants. Here, Gorpel Hind and his entourage will join in the fight with you, provided you were on decent terms with them. They aren't really necessary though, unless you have a very gimpy party.

As you can see in the screen, we've taken control of one of their archers. This should make things easier.

4089.jpg

The disabling spells keep flowing, as the Maulers are torn apart piece by piece.

4090.jpg

4091.jpg

Their Fighter/Mage, the last one alive and hostile, tries to save himself with summons. The effort is futile.

4092.jpg

With that the fight was over. Gorpel Hind and his party depart, and Shepard's crew loots the Maulers, finding a nice +2 Battle Axe, among other things.

Oh, and the dire charmed foe happened to peg a peasant, dropping our max reputation down to half that value, from 20 to 10. No problem however...

4093.jpg

...some donations to the right people make up for most of the damage.

4094.jpg

Entering a house, Shepard and crew find some children complaining about a bogeyman.

4095.jpg

Suddenly a strange man bursts in and warns the party of a strange druid lurking about.

4096.jpg

3967.jpg
:Changing in the middle of a wide-open dining? And why is this druid even here? What the...none of this makes any sense...time to get EXTREME on someone and hope that solves things.

4097.jpg

4098.jpg

Killing Gervisse gives you a wand of polymorphing and a protection from undead scroll.

3967.jpg
:Basically this quest makes no sense. Who are these people, and what is really going on here?

3967.jpg
:Ahhh fuck it...let's go break into another house and kill more stuff.

4099.jpg

Here's the death trap, a house full of Helmed Horrors, Doom Guards, and Invisible Stalkers. This should be a fun fight.

4100.jpg

Haste really helps in dishing out damage, and Entangle continues to be the MVP spell for divine casters.

4101.jpg

Check it...a frozen horror. It even did the red cloud death animation while frozen. Nifty.

4102.jpg

4103.jpg

Clearing out the house, the crew find's the owner of the dwelling, and is given a quest to find the legendary Helm of Balduran, being given a lead regarding some petrified mercenaries who may have the Helm, who are stored at the residence of an art collector, who is under the impression they are statues.

4104.jpg

After breaking into his house, Shepard picks the Renegade option to avoid a Flaming Fist spawn.

4105.jpg

4106.jpg

4107.jpg

4108.jpg

Four out of five of the statues don't have the helm. By process of elimination...

4109.jpg

This one knows of the helm, but doesn't want to give it up.

4110.jpg

Shepard convinces him to spill the beans as to the location, and the ex-statue gives up a note.

4111.jpg

The note points towards the Helm and Cloak Inn as the hiding place of Balduran's Helm. It also mentions a cloak. Hmmmmmm....

4112.jpg

Helm acquired. The cloak is next, kept this adventurer's "fallen angel". Now where might one find someone such as that?

4113.jpg

At a whorehouse!

4114.jpg

4115.jpg

Bullshit Check: Success! The Cloak of Balduran is now also in Shepard's possession.

If you can't convince Quenash via dialogue, you can always pickpocket the cloak off her too. Of kill her, but that tends to get messy.

4116.jpg

Shepard uses EXTREME metagaming to foresee a possible betrayal, and prepare to fuck up Degrodel should one happen.

4117.jpg

As predicted, Degrodel tries to take the Helm and scram, leaving some stalkers and horrors to cover his tracks. As you can see by his body in the bottom-left of the screen, that didn't work out too well for him.

3967.jpg
:Hey Degrodel, you know betraying me can be very dangerous to YOUR health!

4118.jpg

His servants put up more of a fight than him, but eventually they too succumb to the force that is Shepard.

Now one more thing lies between Shepard and the main quest continuing...

3967.jpg
:Robbing the richest man in Baldur's Gate.

4119.jpg

3967.jpg
:Knock, knock.

4120.jpg

Shepard bullshits Entar's butler.

4121.jpg

The same line works on a guard as well.

3967.jpg
:That's the importance of being consistent in one's bullshitting.

4122.jpg

Robbin' time!

4123.jpg

The nymph cloak is used to charm all the people on the second floor, and move them out of sight/earshot of all the containers. This way the guards don't show up.

4124.jpg

3967.jpg
:Well I would tell you a story about how my life got flipped, turned upside down...

With that, Shepard and crew have stolen over 15K worth of stuff, and charmed both the wife of a Grand Duke as well as said Duke's daughter; one magically, one with pure EXTREME. Mission Accomplished.

Next up, the Iron Throne gets a visit from Shepard and crew, as well as a visit to a familiar locale.

Elzair

Cipher
EXTREME Update!

Edward, will you do Tales of the Sword Coast as well?

Also, MOAR!!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Was it an oversight from the development team that Entangle doesn't affect party members? It's almost gamebreakingly powerful.

I think it's changed in Tutu.

abnaxus said:
Was it an oversight from the development team that Entangle doesn't affect party members? It's almost gamebreakingly powerful.

I think it's changed in Tutu.

Yeah, Entangle is pretty much the MVP spell in the Cleric/Druid pool. Nothing really beats it, besides summon spells.

Elzair said:
Edward, will you do Tales of the Sword Coast as well?

Yes and no. I've got a lot of screens for it, but it is really image intensive, and Codex image-hosting isn't free. I'll probably just finish up BG1 proper, and maybe do some TotSC updates in between BG2 ones.

Chapter 14: Iron Thrones Give You Hemorrhoids

Time to get back on the main plot line, and take it to the Iron Throne.

4125.jpg

Scar directs the crew to go meet with Eltan, one of the four Grand Dukes, and commander of the Flaming fist.

4126.jpg

3967.jpg
:Only 2000 gold? Jeez, I thought when you worked for higher-ups you got higher pay...

Cheapness aside, Duke Eltan is pretty EXTREME for a politician, willing to send a band of armed mercenaries to spy on a "respected" merchant organization.

4127.jpg

Here's the entrance of the Iron Throne HQ.

3967.jpg
:Alright, time to get EXTREME...

EXTREMEly inundated with dialogue that is.

4128.jpg

Bribing this merchant, Shepard gains intel on what sort of opposition he may be facing.

4129.jpg

The bullshit checks just keep piling up.

4130.jpg

4131.jpg

That's a sausage dialogue option if ever I've seen one.

3967.jpg
:Looks like we've got doppelgangers...

4132.jpg

Seems as though the Iron Throne leaders in Sembia are a little curious regarding whatever is going on here in this branch.

4133.jpg

One of the better sarcastic, asshole responses in the game.

4134.jpg

3967.jpg
: Looks like she's going to be doppelganger meat...and lots of it.

4135.jpg

4136.jpg

3967.jpg
: Positive change and economic dynamism? He's gotta be a doppelganger if he can spout bullshit like that.

Yeah, as if "espejo" didn't give that away. What's next, a Mr. Spiegel?

4137.jpg

This merchant gives the party a clue about how Reiltar is at Candlekeep currently.

3967.jpg
: Homecoming soon?

Now it's time to get EXTREME.

4138.jpg

Shepard runs up one of the stair flights to the top floor, while the others wait below on the opposite staircase.

4139.jpg

He draws the attention of all the enemies with his high HP and amazing saves, bolstered by a potion of heroism...

4140.jpg

...and the rest of the party climbs the stairs and immediately bombards the enemy party.

4141.jpg

Jaheira summons dogs to soak up damage for Shepard.

4142.jpg

Coran backstabs an enemy, Minsc moves in to melee, and the party mages continue bombarding the enemy from afar.

4143.jpg

And that wraps up that fight.

4144.jpg

3967.jpg
: Sarevok again? How long until I get to grab this sucker's collar, instead of some hench-collars?

4145.jpg

Shepard decides to put Thaldorn, one of the Iron Throne higher-ups, down instead of talking.

4146.jpg

3967.jpg
: Yep, doppelgang-banged.

4147.jpg

Upon reporting back to Eltan, the party is tasked with traveling to Candlekeep to investigate Reiltar and the Iron Throne leader's activity there. They're given a sufficiently valuable book as to be allowed entry, according to the laws of Candlekeep. In fact, this is what makes Candlekeep inaccessible after you leave in the Prologue.

4148.jpg

3967.jpg
:Things have really come full circle, huh? Wonder if things have changed around here at all?

Yep. Except this time, the Candlekeep update won't be nearly as EXTREME as the one I had to pull out of my ass in the beginning of this LP.

4149.jpg

3967.jpg
: Nope.

4150.jpg

4151.jpg

Remember kids, biologists are all cold-blooded shapeshifters.

4152.jpg

Another reunion with a character from the prologue. Touching...

4153.jpg

As if it wasn't already obvious....THE IRON THRONE REALLY LIKES DOPPELGANGERS!

4154.jpg

More of this...

4155.jpg

Klansmen in the barracks?

Or just MORE FUCKING DOPPELGANGERS?!

4156.jpg

:brofist:?

4157.jpg

4158.jpg

4159.jpg

Another Forgotten Realms book character makes a cameo here, again hinting at something being "off" about Shepard's nature, compounding all the talks from Elminster, the strange dreams, and powers gained.

4160.jpg

3967.jpg
:Koveras. Koveras? Really? It's gotta be a coincidence...nobody's that dumb...

Uh....huh....

4161.jpg

3967.jpg
:A totally different person, you say? Like somebody...stole his face? Joy....

4162.jpg

3967.jpg
:Get away...I don't want to catch the stupid...

4163.jpg

4164.jpg

Hmmmmm....what are the odds that the party will end up in those catacombs?

4165.jpg

The Iron Throne leaders are here. The rest of the party stays to observe them, while Shepard checks out the rest of the library.

4166.jpg

Shepard hears about some things in Gorion's quarters.

3967.jpg
:Loot?

4167.jpg

4168.jpg

3967.jpg
:Uh-huh...who didn't see that coming...I mean, seriously, this is getting old...

Also doppelgangers seem awfully, *ahem*...racially insensitive in these connotations.

4169.jpg

Greater Doppelgangers are actually pretty nasty. They hit hard, and can cast spells like haste and mirror image to buff themselves.

After killing the doppelganger, Shepard finds something startling in Gorion's quarters...

...a disturbing lack of loot.

Oh, and this note:

4170.jpg

4171.jpg

4172.jpg

Suprise...you're a child of the Lord of Murder! Explains a lot, huh? And that's why Sarevok is interested in you.

3967.jpg
: ....Bhaal, the God of Death is my father?

3967.jpg
:....

3967.jpg
:...That's so goddamn EXTREME!

4173.jpg

This, however, isn't. No matter what you do, the leaders of the Iron Throne croak, and your party is blamed for the murder. Even when you can swap to your other party members as the gatewarden is approaching and see the leaders alive.

Oh, and if you don't turn yourself in here, then you are summarily insta-killed.

4174.jpg

Things aren't looking too good.

4175.jpg

However, Bioware taketh and Bioware giveth...as Tethtoril shows up and teleports your crew out of the jail and into the secret library, which is attached to the catacombs from which you can escape Candlekeep.

Oh, and if you couldn't figure out Koveras, you can ask him. Derp.

4176.jpg

Next up...dungeon crawl in the catacombs!

Elzair

Cipher
Come on, Eddie! Just a few more updates!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom