Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Great LP, Ed. Especially the shepard back-in-time interlude. Keep it going.

P.cool.

Chapter 7: Miner....Fuck I Already Made That Terrible Pun!

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! WATCH MOTHERFUCKER SHEPARD KILL HIS WAY THROUGH A HEAVILY GUARDED COMPOUND! GREAT FAMILY FUN ONLY 5 DOLLARS FOR KIDS ADMISSION!

bglp068.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Why thank you for confirming your presence...

bglp069.jpg

The guard and his Black Talon Elite Mercenaries are quickly disposed of. Shepard and the crew loot some nice Arrows +1 and Arrows of Frost off the Elites.

bglp070.jpg

The bridge to the compound is lightly guarded.

jack2s.jpg
: No welcoming committee? I'm hurt...

bglp071.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Now that's more like it!

bglp072.jpg

Here the crew starts the brawl with the four elite mercenaries. Theres a fighter with an enchanted morning star and boots of speed, another fighter with magical plate mail, and two mages in the back. Web serves as a great opener.

bglp073.jpg

One of the mages summons some dogs. Two Stinking Clouds are fired off in response.

bglp076.jpg

Entangle helps to keep the enemies held up, and Sleep is used for good measure.

bglp077.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: One down, three to go.

bglp079.jpg

bglp080.jpg

With the melee enemies downed, the battle turns swiftly against the opposing party.

bglp081.jpg

This note is found on the enemy mercenary leader's corpse.

bglp083.jpg

With the enemies dealt with, the crew heads down to the mines.

bglp084.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Get in line.

bglp085.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: The only thing stopping me from grabbing your collar...is that you don't have one...

bglp086.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: But I can always improvise.

bglp088.jpg

Dark, Mature, and Gritty™!

bglp089.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Updated my journal. Man...this mine is boring....

bglp091.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: It's true...

bglp092.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Alright! A different floor!

bglp093.jpg

bglp094.jpg

Coran goes on a stealth mission, down the hidden hallway. A few measly ghasts stand in his way, and are summarily dispatched with well-paced backstabs.

bglp095.jpg

bglp096.jpg

He buys some interference from the guards, to allow the slaves to get out.

bglp097.jpg

bglp098.jpg

The op continues, with Coran backstabbing one guard and bathing the other in flames from a potion of dragonbreath. Mmmm...toasty.

bglp099.jpg

This fight is big....it must have big guts.

On a more interesting note, this fight, like many in these mines, are completely skippable.

jack2s.jpg
: However...that is not the Shepard way....

bglp100.jpg

One stab...one kill.

This is why Fighter/Thieves are awesome. The ability to use giant strength potions is not wasted on them.

bglp101.jpg

Coran guns it out of there as Shepard drops a fireball from the Necklace of Missiles, and Imoen fires a Stinking Cloud into the room.

bglp103.jpg

Minsc and Shepard run cleanup duty with their archery skills, and find some very nice loot on the former mage, current pile of bloody gibs. Haste is a good spell, and will no doubt come in handy. As will the potion of explosions.

bglp104.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Yeah...have fun Coran...

bglp105.jpg

And this is the map of the area. The long (secret) corridor allows a player to avoid much of the combat here, reducing the encounters to a pair of guards, two ghasts, and another pair of weak guards.

jack2s.jpg
: But big fights are fun....

bglp106.jpg

Speaking of which, a decent sized skirmish, with guards and hobgoblin elites, opens up the 3rd area of the mines.

bglp110.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Suck it down Pat Benetar wannabe!

bglp111.jpg

This fight surprised me a little...I forgot it was here. It's another mage with fighter support, this time in the form of hobgoblin elites. A quick Stinking Cloud removes the threat of attack.

bglp112.jpg

Shepard then snipes them one by one.

bglp113.jpg

Now the crew tries to rest in this area. That'll work...right?

bglp115.jpg

Not exactly. A fuckton of guards show up, but a Sleep spell downs many of them.

bglp116.jpg

An Entangle captures the rest.

bglp117.jpg

Some patrolling hobgoblins decide to join in. The more the merrier...

bglp119.jpg

Finally, all the enemies are silenced.

bglp120.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Finally...some extreme lines.

bglp122.jpg

Some hobgoblin elites guard the entrance to the last floor of the mines. They are quickly dispatched.

bglp123.jpg

A higher level guard with good equipment guards the abode of Davaeorn. Still not high enough level, and not good enough stuff to stop Shepard.

bglp124.jpg

The big man himself.

jack2s.jpg
: You can do your generic, evil monologue all you want...I'm still kicking your ass.

bglp125.jpg

The Davaeorn battle would be a lot easier if I had a thief with very high traps skill....then I could disable the Battle Horror spawns, which are flagged as traps. As it stands, I've got to fight the mofos, who pack a punch, are immune to many debilitating effects, and require magical weapons to hit.

bglp126.jpg

Luckily...they aren't immune to Slow...an amazing third level spell that works as an opposite haste on your enemies (and is party-friendly), halving their movement rate, halving their attacks per round, and making them suffer both a mild to-hit penalty as well as a nasty armor class one too.

bglp128.jpg

I'm summoning time! Dynaheir gets some meatshields from a wand of monster summoning and then bombards the Horrors with damage from the wand of frost, while Shepard, Minsc, and Coran snipe them with magical ammunition scrounged up.

Meanwhile, Imoen and Jaheira have thrown some disabling spells at Davaeorn to keep him dimension dooring around, rather then dropping spells on the party.

bglp129.jpg

The other Horror kicks it. I like the nifty death animation.

bglp131.jpg

Some hobgoblins surround Davaeorn and let Shepard finish him off.

bglp132.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:Another note from this Rieltar guy...I think his collar will be next in line for a grabbing.

bglp134.jpg

bglp135.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Seems like we've found the head-man of the operation behind the whole resource crisis.

bglp136.jpg

Onward and upward to the in-game Chapter 5.

bglp137.jpg

bglp138.jpg

bglp139.jpg

More information. Seems like a pretty solid plan for making a lot of money.

bglp140.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: That symbol....it looks familiar....

bglp141.jpg

bglp142.jpg

Another dream. And another Slow Poison.

bglp143.jpg

The crew kills Davaeorn's pet jelly that was guarding his treasure.

bglp144.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: How convenient...a rope elevator to the top floor of the mines...

bglp145.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: It's about to get very wet in here....

bglp146.jpg

bglp147.jpg

The crew escapes, and the Iron Throne's operations are sunk with them.

Note: By doing this, you gain a few reputation points. However, if you don't let the slaves out first....then you take a massive hit to your reputation. Kinda odd though...seeing as how no-one knows about this hidden mine.

bglp148.jpg

Back to Beregost the crew travels.

bglp148.jpg

Cha-ching! Bringing in a wyvern head nets a nice reward.

bglp152.jpg

bglp154.jpg

Which goes towards item identification as well as some shiny, new toys. The archmagi robe is the best armor for mages in BG1, and is only matched in BG2 by one of the most cheesy, broken items in all of BG2. The Horn of Kazgaroth is a fun item your wear around your neck. It can be activated for the cost of 10HP, and will protect the character in a sphere that negates all spells of 1st or 2nd level, provides a bonus to all saving throws, and improves your armor class against missile weapons. It only lasts a few rounds (each round being 6 seconds), but it's a powerful effect, especially for Fighters, letting them wade into Webs, Stinking Clouds, or such with impunity.

bglp155.jpg

And the crew are off to go adventure around some more.

Next time...random exploring.

Elzair

Cipher
Since Murrow seems to be gone, this LP should probably be added to the Totally Abandoned list.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, if it's any consolation, I might feel like doing a Baldur's Gate LP during the holidays.

Elzair

Cipher
Sorry to bump such an old, abandoned thread, but the new LP made me want to go back and read this one. It is too bad Murrow never completed it, because it is the funniest LP on the Codex bar none. If anyone ever wants to finish it or play it in a similar fashion, I spent some time crafting a custom Samuel Jackson portrait pack and soundset. It may not be the most highly polished soundset out there, but it could be good for the lulz. Here it is: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YJC5NXZK.

Chapter 8: I Had A Dream...And Got Some Cool Spells

It's not over yet. By the way, photobucket sucks even more now; go figure.

When we last left our heroes, it was time to go finish up the random wandering, a lot of which is in some of the less-than-stellar areas.

bglp002.jpg

First stop, a trip to the coast, and one of the dumbest quests in the game.

bglp005.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:It's good I have expendable "friends" like you Coran....can't think what would have happened if I were alone.

bglp006.jpg

Remember kids...kissing is deadly and all women are evil temptresses trying to to suck out your soul. This has been the Church of Helm telling you all that he is watching...always...especially in the bathroom.

bglp007.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:Uhhh huh...your mate. Did you go to nereidbrides.com or something?

bglp008.jpg

The wannabe samurai ogre bites it hard, and Shepard and crew find a nifty helmet on his corpse.

bglp009.jpg

Brilliant quest design, no?

bglp011.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:Hmmmm...now I'm fetching things for madmen. Shouldn't I be doing something more important, like going after the grand conspiracy that has threatened my life on numerous occasions?

jack2s.jpg
:....

jack2s.jpg
:Nah, no biggie.

bglp012.jpg

bglp013.jpg

bglp015.jpg

What an epic quest. For those not in the know, this ring is cursed and brings severe cases of the dumb to those who equip it.

bglp016.jpg

Oh look...ogres.

bglp018.jpg

Toasty.

bglp019.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:It's like some unforeseen force inhibits my ability to tell this guy Davaeorn is six kinds of dead.....oh well, free potion of magic blocking!

bglp021.jpg

Now to kill some more stuff.

bglp022.jpg

We're wizards who desperately crave privacy, that's why we're out in the open, and not using any sort of illusion magic. Thumps up dudes.

bglp023.jpg

bglp025.jpg

Web once again shows it's use. And now with two fighters who can make themselves immune to the effects of Web, cleanup is even easier.

bglp030.jpg

And now we're off to one of the INCREDIBAD optional dungeons in BG1, the Ulcaster School. The main quest dungeons in BG1 tend to be okay, if a little bland. The optional ones are only (possibly) surpassed in shittiness by jRPG dungeons. Actually...I don't know. At least Quest 64's Blue Cave was kinda pretty in some parts and had nice music. I kid...I kid, the Blue Cave should be considered a crime against humanity.

Ok...enough sperging, time to grab more collars.

bglp034.jpg

Again, if you like cheesy humor, the player character dialogue lines aren't that bad in some parts of BG1.

This bad dude is a nasty Skeleton Warrior with a magical flail.

bglp035.jpg

Oh look, a quest to go in a dungeon! This has got to be fun!

bglp036.jpg

Aaaaand here it is, the Ulcaster School, such a shitty, shitty, shitty, shitty, and did I mention shitty place.

Now, you're probably thinking, "Hey asswipe, it can't be that bad, it's not like it is a bunch of tiny rooms connected by claustrophobic hallways that will drive the pathfinding of the Infinity Engine completely batshit as you go between boring, thoughtlessly designed encounters that have a nasty habit of respawning after you finish them and leave the 'room'. The 'boss' fight isn't just a wolf with a lot of HP that basically challenges you by saying 'HEY GUIZE GOT MAGIC WEEPAWNZ?????'. No, it's gotta be better than that."

bglp037.jpg

bglp038.jpg

bglp039.jpg

bglp040.jpg

bglp042.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:Nope. Damn glad that's over.

bglp043.jpg

And the scintillating fetch-quest is closed out too. Hurrah!

bglp045.jpg

This next area is mostly ogres, and ogre-kin.

bglp049.jpg

bglp050.jpg

bglp054.jpg

bglp057.jpg

Yep. Shrek's been busy.

bglp051.jpg

bglp052.jpg

bglp053.jpg

There's also a quest involving saving a cow from Xvarts. Now riddle me this: why put such a low level quest in an area surrounded by ogres, that lower level parties wouldn't likely get through?

bglp058.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:WHAT. THE. FUCK?????????

jack2s.jpg
:Seriously...that is terrible. How un-EXTREME can you get? "You can kill me, but if you move I'll kill you". I don't even....

jack2s.jpg
You guys get something very special....look up.

bglp059.jpg

With that, the bandits are summarily wrapped up.

bglp060.jpg

Now to the Shire...I mean Gullykin, a town full of halflings, and the bridging point to the *shudder* Firewine...well...Bridge.

bglp061.jpg

Of course you have to deny that you want to go to a fun dungeon...and instead are pointed towards Firewine or Ulcaster. I mean, yeah, I don't have the expansion installed yet...but still.

But before that...an actual fun encounter!

bglp063.jpg

These guys are one of two groups of assassins "sent" after you by the Iron Throne. Both groups are actually static, and you more or less run into them. They were placed here to give the feeling of being tracked, however successful that is. A group of all-female assassins existed, but thanks to MWSnap/Vista shenanigans you never got to see that fight.

These groups have a mix of classes, including a couple spellcasters of relatively high level, meaning that they can seriously mess with your party if left unchecked. But we don't let that happen, now do we?

bglp064.jpg

Shepard aims for the caster up front to interrupt his spell, while my casters prepare some disruption of their own.

bglp066.jpg

Jaheira lays down the lightning, and Dynaheir and Imoen cast a mixture of web and stinking cloud. As always, in Baldur's Gate, disabling spells are key, and using them well makes like so much easier.

bglp068.jpg

bglp070.jpg

Shepard activates the Horn of Kazgaroth, to prevent the effects of web/cloud, in order to clean up the enemy mage, who is trapped in webbing and occasionally going unconscious.

bglp071.jpg

Fight solved, and time to have oh so very much fun at the Firewine Bridge.

bglp072.jpg

Now the Firewine Bridge area is a two part affair. There is the dungeon proper, but also an above ground area in which there are a few encounters, namely...

bglp075.jpg

bglp076.jpg

...a priest who you can relinquish your entire inventory to...

bglp079.jpg

bglp080.jpg

bglp081.jpg

...a bard who recites poetry in order to both highlight a quest as well as make someone at Bioware feel special...

bglp082.jpg

bglp083.jpg

bglp084.jpg

...a swordmaster you can rile up and challenge to a "duel"...

jack2s.jpg
:As well as take his nice gauntlets of weapon specialization...

bglp085.jpg

bglp086.jpg

...and a chick raving about the "might Khark" she has in a bottle...

bglp087.jpg

...which turns into an encounter with a super-powered Ogre Mage...

bglp088.jpg

bglp089.jpg

bglp090.jpg

...one that is easily thwarted by a use of dispel magic.

jack2s.jpg
:Hey...pre-buffing only works against unprepared idiots.

bglp092.jpg

And after those...the fun begins.

bglp094.jpg

LOOK AT ALL THESE MOTHERFUCKING KOBOLDS!

This screenshoot is basically the gist of the Firewine Bridge dungeon. Narrow corridors, occasional "rooms", and a ton of kobold commandos that spawn endlessly from the fog of war.

bglp093.jpg

bglp095.jpg

bglp096.jpg

jack2s.jpg
:Oh look...the fetch quest prophesized by the bard. It feels like a weight has been taken off my shoulder...oh no...that's just a kobold commando shooting me in the back with an arrow of fire. Little fuckers.

bglp097.jpg

Here's a random powerful mage getting a backstab from Coran. Why is he here? Good question. He is always aggressive, and doesn't seem related in any way to the ogre mage controlling the kobolds. The other funny thing about this encounter is that he often starts the fight by casting a lightning bolt. Now, lightning bolt should work perfectly in a long corridor, frying his enemies. The problem is, he oftentimes "misses" with it, and ends up making it bounce off the walls in such a way that it kills him. This encounter makes no sense, and wasn't well planned...so it's the dungeon in a microcosm.

bglp099.jpg

bglp100.jpg

Now for the real "boss".

bglp101.jpg

That was simple, now to loot that mage...

jack2s.jpg
: JACKPOT! Check out those scrolls! Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Cloudkill! Damn!

At least something good came out of this shitfest.

bglp103.jpg

I wonder where this goes?

bglp104.jpg

Right into the basement of a traitorous halfling in Gullykin. And yes...you can skip most of the dungeon by just going here, finding the secret door, boffing the ogre mage, and maybe killing the mage.

jack2s.jpg
: You mean we could have skipped all that? Really?

bglp105.jpg

And with the ogre mage dead and the traitor killed, you can collect a small sum from the mayor. But more valuable than any gold is the fact that nothing in this game is as shitty as the Firewine Bridge.

Well....except for....you'll see...

bglp106.jpg

Next time, join us as the random adventuring continues, we go to the most dangerous area in the game, and the party finally reaches Baldur's Gate. See you in another year and a half!

I kid....maybe....

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of my Codex role-models has come back! And with an update to his BG LP!
Oh, glorious day!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ah, yes, Firewine. There were reasons I omitted in my LP. Lots of small, annoying, fire-arrow-shooting respawning reasons. Never again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom