Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Time Travel! Yesterday's backup put back.

obediah

Erudite
fastpunk said:
This sucks! I can't believe VD is stepping down, thanks a lot to all the jackasses who just do it for the lulz!

Still, VD, you should consider the results of that poll from the "vote for our future" thread, the results speak pretty loudly about what the majority wants.

The "Cult of Vault Dweller" has to end. He is not a god that gave the codex to us on Saturday and then rested. The Codex can not ride around on one man's shoulders. That most/all of VD's contemporaries have moved on or went into hibernation is a shame, but we need to replace them. The news page, forum discussions, and moderation all suffer from a lack of diversity in leadership. I don't mean this as a knock against VD at all. I'm just sick of people that believe VD is the codex, and are completely unaware that he was just one of many posters that made this site great.

Nedrah

Erudite
Brother None said:
Elhoim said:
It's not about going to the extreme of authoritarism, but changing the focus from lulz and drama to RPGs, nothing more. How can that be achieved?

Get a different community. Sad but true.

Elhoim is spot on.

And no, don't.

As I said earlier, there seem to be very different conceptions about what this community is all about. If the lulz-crowd was able to apply a bit of self-moderation to their posts, we wouldn't be having this whole drama. Since they don't want to do that, I really fail to see why everyone who asks for someone else to do that moderation job for them automatically has to be in favor of some kind of bizarre overmoderated codex.

The funny thing is, both sides of this seem to be concerned with bringing this site back to it's former glory.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Brother None said:
Sovard said:

So...basically, restricting people's freedom?

I'm all for intelligent discussion. We don't need a dictator telling us WHO is wrong, however, we always find a consensus and do that ourselves. If it comes to the point where someone is completely useless, get rid of them.

If it comes down to "restricting freedoms", what freedom does anyone have in a place that is not their own? Fuck it.

At this point it's pretty clear that certain posters are basically demanding that the very idea of moderation be abandoned, so what choice is there but to crack down?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
obediah said:
I'm just sick of people that believe VD is the codex, and are completely unaware that he was just one of many posters that made this site great.

Best way to do that is not to be the shipper standing on the waterfront commenting on steermanship together with all the other shippers, though. You shouldn't be surprised or even objecting to VD's status when no one else is picking up any slack. You think it's weird when people identify the Codex with VD when all relevant articles and all useful cross-site communication comes from him?

Now's the perfect time to prove there's more to the Codex than VD. You don't do it by sitting here complaining about his cult, though, you do it by replacing him, preferably by multiple people. Hard but true.

I know from experience how hard it is to draw talent from any community. It'll be interesting to see what rises out of the Codex in its time of need. Something? Nothing? Better than before? Worse than before? I can't hardly wait.

So far I've seen Jasede try, and we can all see where that thread went damn quick, can't we? Sporadic or epidemic? Not a problem or incurable? You decide.

(I'd love to help myself, honesty permitting, but y'know. Can't)

Cassidy

Arcane
Whispers of Sorrow said:
At this point it's pretty clear that certain posters are basically demanding that the very idea of moderation be abandoned, so what choice is there but to crack down?

I really hope this post was another infamous "did it for the LULZ" one.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I love Calis. I really do.

But has he been active enough in the community recently to properly decide who can help the Codex? I'm not sure if enough of his old-timer buddies remain who are willing...

*gasp* Do we need nominations and elections? Democracy established after Operation Enduring Lulz?

spacemoose

Erudite
I'm pretty sure whoever steps up will at least get a chance to try their hand at it. be it newsposting or writing articles. A TIME OF OPPORTUNITY

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Spacemoose said:
I'm pretty sure whoever steps up will at least get a chance to try their hand at it. be it newsposting or writing articles. A TIME OF OPPORTUNITY

It's a brave new world, that has such people in it!

obediah

Erudite
Brother None said:
obediah said:
I'm just sick of people that believe VD is the codex, and are completely unaware that he was just one of many posters that made this site great.

Best way to do that is not to be the shipper standing on the waterfront commenting on steermanship together with all the other shippers, though. You shouldn't be surprised or even objecting to VD's status when no one else is picking up any slack. You think it's weird when people identify the Codex with VD when all relevant articles and all useful cross-site communication comes from him?

Now's the perfect time to prove there's more to the Codex than VD. You don't do it by sitting here complaining about his cult, though, you do it by replacing him, preferably by multiple people. Hard but true.

I agree completely. Honestly, I'm not sure that's what left of the codex is important enough for me to dedicate more time to. Or that I have the qualifications to improve things even if I tried. My skill set consists of bitter rambling, and more bitter rambling.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If you think that I'm emotional right now, you're mistaken.

don't know about now - but some hours ago you pretty were.

It's no wonder actually. During the all recent time VD was the only admin who stayed on the codex. So some "he is teh only king" syndrome is appeared.

Azarkon

Arcane
Why is this argued as if it were real world politics? This is the intarnet. You can have your cake and eat it too.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Rename "General Discussions." Make it the Lulz / Rants / Flamebait forum (which it pretty much already is). Put a disclaimer on it (ie abandon all sanity, ye who enter here). Moderate the rest of the forums (ie News, RPG Discussions, etc.) according to site interests.

There's no need to ban anyone. Just remove their posting priviledges from the moderated forums if they're too disruptive, and let them retain their lulz ways on the lulz forum. I doubt this will damage the site. Prudes can avoid the lulz forum, and I doubt any of us want to read NSFW pics of tubgirl in RPG Discussions. As long as you maintain the "moderate moderation" principles upon which the Codex was built, I don't see why the site can't have the best of both worlds.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
skyway said:
If you think that I'm emotional right now, you're mistaken.

don't know about now - but some hours ago you pretty were.
Do you get emotional when you see some garbage on your lawn? No, you throw it out. No emotions in it. None at all.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't get why VD or any other admin/mod have to be so defensive, trying to justify their action to some kids. As Mantiis said, you don't ask little brats in the classroom if they like how you run your lesson.
Extraordinary level of freedom in these forums wasn't earned by the community and it's members ar not entitled to demand anything from those who run this site. It's their site and they can do whatever fucking thing they want.

Oh, and i thought that stupidity is one of the few bannable offences here, so what's all the fuss about?

Cassidy said:
Given the reaction I've seen to pretty much every atttempt to assert authority over this place? Hardly.

Calis

Pensionado
obediah said:
I agree completely. Honestly, I'm not sure that's what left of the codex is important enough for me to dedicate more time to. Or that I have the qualifications to improve things even if I tried. My skill set consists of bitter rambling, and more bitter rambling.
Actually, you were on my shortlist of people to ask.
@Sovard: True dat, but the nice thing about being a news poster is that you can't really screw up that much, so it's a pretty good "test job".

Cassidy

Arcane
Whispers of Sorrow said:
Cassidy said:
Given the reaction I've seen to pretty much every atttempt to assert oppressive moderation over this place? Hardly.

What you don't understand is that this kind of "authority" has the likelihood of bringing more negative than positive consequences. ESF shouldn't be the standard for how authority should be here. There are other means to improve Codex condition. It has survived for more than 5 years without "nazi" moderation to the point the relative freedom can be considered one of the elements that make RPG Codex unique among other forums, besides the critical points of view about CRPGs and sarcastic replies as forms to demote the hype machine.

Vault Dweller said:
Do you get emotional when you see some garbage on your lawn? No, you throw it out. No emotions in it. None at all.

VD should be back posting news(and the news forum is minimally affected by the lulz), it's better than seeing him posting such kind of messages that work perfectly as baits for the anti-VD types to create more drama.

User was nabbed fit

I say, bring on the reign of terror. Like someone else said, this isn't the Lulz Codex. There are other forums for that.

I'm not saying VD should ban people left and right arbitrarily, but those who continue to defy the rules and try to keep up their eInsurgency should be given no quarter, IMO. Codex: doesn't scale to your level.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Step up, obediah, make it what it once was. You are the chosen one.

I would love to help, I am only working the next three months part-time. Although then I'll be busy-busy for around a year or so... any seasonal positions?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Is there any way to recommend news posts? There is now a nice number of reviews for Depths of Peril, which was previewed here a few weeks ago by Vault Dweller.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
It has survived for more than 5 years without "nazi" moderation to the point the relative freedom can be considered one of the elements that make RPG Codex unique among other forums, besides the critical points of view about CRPGs and sarcastic replies as forms to demote the hype machine.

Really?

Now this is interesting, because in my opinion the view VD has/had of the Codex as the best, most critical RPG site on the internetz is incompatible with this, ahm, "relative freedom", which you seem to think is inherently juxtaposed to ESF moderation which, apparently, is the only other option available (seriously, what?).

It might just be me, but given the choice between retaining relative freedom or becoming a better RPG site, which one would you pick? Because it's not just about yesterday, but more about, how shall I put it, how hard it's become to find the good RPG discussions between the drek on the Codex.

Very interesting. Anyone else, opinions?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Never thought the codex would be retarded enough to confuse free speech with driving people who like the place into irregular posting because it just isn't work safe to open any thread.

Obviously lowest common denominator rules apply.

Shame really as I'm positive that it's one of the reasons why the quality of debate and ideas and general posting has plummetted the past year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom