Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What old-old RPG would benefit greatly from a remake?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
what new shit rpg would benefit greatly from incline?

ever

Scholar
SCO said:
ever said:
Haven't you people had enough of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again

No.
This goes a long way in also explaining why people on these message boards like Daggerfall. I think I am starting to get it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Excidium said:
New Vegas.

hahahaha trick question as none of the new shit is rpgs so there is nothing to incline

huehuhaueuhauhaeuhauhuaehuhUHEAUHAHUEHUAHUA

MisterStone

Arcane
Daemongar said:
I like your idea of Wizard's Crown, but would be very afraid of the Wasteland remake with "better writing." What, it needs romances or something? The text in the game was good enough, I don't think it needs too much more.

The reason I thought Wasteland might need a bit more writing is not because I think there is much wrong with what is there, but rather because there's not enough there to make a compelling story really. Also, a lot of the quests were kind of lame; various PCs, NPCs, objects, etc. would be there, but it seems like the NPCs/PCs never react to one another's presence... for instance in that early quest where you rescue the mayors daughter or whatever, it seems he doesn't notice when the chick is in your party, doesn't say anything, offer a reward, she doesn't try to leave... you get the idea. The quests and areas were pretty cool in concept, but in many places they failed to really form a coherent story.

The game was crippled in the aspect because it was developed for the shitastic Apple II platform and they were trying to fit it two or three 10 5.25" floppy sides. Just for reference, IIRC UIV was on 4 floppy disk sides, and UV was on 10 5.25" floppy disk sides.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
MisterStone said:
Daemongar said:
I like your idea of Wizard's Crown, but would be very afraid of the Wasteland remake with "better writing." What, it needs romances or something? The text in the game was good enough, I don't think it needs too much more.

The reason I thought Wasteland might need a bit more writing is not because I think there is much wrong with what is there, but rather because there's not enough there to make a compelling story really. Also, a lot of the quests were kind of lame; various PCs, NPCs, objects, etc. would be there, but it seems like the NPCs/PCs never react to one another's presence... for instance in that early quest where you rescue the mayors daughter or whatever, it seems he doesn't notice when the chick is in your party, doesn't say anything, offer a reward, she doesn't try to leave... you get the idea. The quests and areas were pretty cool in concept, but in many places they failed to really form a coherent story.

The game was crippled in the aspect because it was developed for the shitastic Apple II platform and they were trying to fit it two or three 10 5.25" floppy sides. Just for reference, IIRC UIV was on 4 floppy disk sides, and UV was on 10 5.25" floppy disk sides.
Ok, yes, I understand, in that sense, it could use a little love. The toaster repair skill could use a little rebalancing as well. Think UV was 9 disks, but my frame of reference is C64.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ultima 8 & 9 with The witcher 2 engine would be nice.

Oh wait, pre 1990s will be raped by today Real Time RPG demands. So no. I have no corpses to suggest raping.

Get real, modern companies look at the bottom line first, and seeing X-Com being made into something it is not, and JA2 remake being turned into RT 3D Abomination isn't enough hint that it won't turn out well?

Lunac

Arcane
Hate to introduce reality, but who's the target audience? Old school gamers who already own and play these classics regularly? They would probably just want better gfx and improved music/sound tracks, and what not. But that is not viable since from publisher's perspective you are looking at sale numbers in 1000's or few 10,000's at best for more recognizable franchises/titles. (See what Xenonauts is doing for X-COM).

If you are talking about your average 13-20 year old console gamers? Bleh! Non-workable!

Back to fantasy. Not really a true RPG by most definitions but sprucing up anything in the Starflight or Star Control franchises would be awesome. SF-wise there are few indie projects out there right now, one released a final version recently, but they are all beyond amateurish.

Also, I mentioned this game in few other threads, but somebody doing something with Drakkhen would be great.

Others? Hands off! I like them as they are.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
RK47 said:
Ultima 8 & 9 with The witcher 2 engine would be nice

sounds like a plan

ultima series needs a reboot with all the benefits of modern gaming hardware can bring
look at the great job they did with castlevania lords of shadow for example now that's a reboot that brings life to a dying series

sure there might be a lot more loading times and you will get benefits like fully voiced characters in both britannia and the world of pagan and being able to explore those lands in first person like you've always wanted with proper music this time none of that midi stuff

glass sword dlc

Nex

Cipher
RK47 said:
Ultima 8 & 9 with The witcher 2 engine would be nice.

Not pre-1990, but I would also like these remade. TBH they could just add lots more content and redo the combat system and U8 could be wonderful! Then they could redo U9 in the same engine. I really love U8's graphics, 3d just isn't the same.

thursdayschild

Educated
MisterStone said:
1) Wasteland. Remake wasteland (with better writing and quest scripting) with a modern turn-based combat system (similar to Jagged Alliance or something). Imagine the awesomeness...

That will be my third game.

Nex

Cipher
sgc_meltdown said:
Nex said:
redo the combat system

kinect support so you can just shout corp por or kal vas flam

lore-based skill trees based on virtues

aggro management

In a non crappy way... designed for excellence, not mass market appeal or profit.

RK47

Patron
sgc_meltdown said:
Nex said:
redo the combat system

kinect support so you can just shout corp por or kal vas flam

lore-based skill trees based on virtues

aggro management

That is actually quite a good idea...drawing of pentagram to complete the spell binding ritual in U8 & U9.
I personally liked the aspect of Solo Exploration in U8 & U9, it felt more tense and item hoarding is limited by Avatar's weight limit instead of pack mules. But the combat is just atrocious.

I don't want to encourage kinect support, shouting out keywords in U7 conversation would be quite hilarious in modern kinect.

NAME!

JOB!

FELLOWSHIP!

BYE!

VIRTUES!

GARGOYLES!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Nex said:
designed for excellence, not mass market appeal or profit.

ha ha ha friendo for a bit there it sounded like you think those two are mutually exclusive

not true since market appeal will dictate the parameters of excellence

RK47 said:
shouting out keywords in U7 conversation would be quite hilarious

that's the spirit also imagine hugging motion support for party members

ever

Scholar
I always thought kinect would make a great mouse replacement, but no one is using it for that.

Why?

deuxhero

Arcane
Fallout.

If it got a proper remake instead of a dumbing down, it would be very good. Even just adding simultaneous enemy turns ala ToEE and fixing the slow animations would be a huge help.

RK47

Patron
npc55.gif
Thou must rub the Orb of the Moons to create a Moongate, Avatar. Rub towards the screen to open the portal of Britannia. Find other portals through trial and errors. Mwa-ha-ha-ha..

*Tries rubbing*

npc55.gif
Thou art standing too close to the screen, Avatar. Step back and try again.

MMXI

Arcane
deuxhero said:
Fallout.

If it got a proper remake instead of a dumbing down, it would be very good. Even just adding simultaneous enemy turns ala ToEE and fixing the slow animations would be a huge help.
Yep, Fallout. That amazing pre-1990 RPG.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I don't believe in remakes. I believe in sequels that keep the basic charm of their predecessors and only improve features instead of turning everything to shit (looking at you, FO3 and DS3).
I also don't believe some arbitrary assholes' rule of only mentioning games prior to 1990 that he only made in fear of losing KKKs.
Now that that's cleared:

Dungeon Master: With nice graphics (though the original DM aged quite well), tool-tips, information on items, optional auto-map, optional phase-based combat like Wizardry 8, better ammo management, more magical words and the option to "store" known words so you don't have to click them together before every casting.

Some Mechwarrior Game: One of the few games that can actually truly benefit from modern graphics and physics. Not dumbed down shit like MW4, more like MW2 or 3 (can't remember which one I played, but it had far more customization and weapons systems going for it than MW4), with an open campaign and online (arena) fights.

Realms of Arcania: With better UI, inventory, tool-tips, optional auto-map, hex grid instead of squares, better graphics

GoldBox: in an improved ToEE engine.

M&M : Some non declined re-iteration that's bug-free.

Wizardry: Doesn't need to do much different from Wiz8. More content, more special encounters, far less random mobs. I'd also expect slight improvement on the graphical side, but that's not really needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom