Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What old-old RPG would benefit greatly from a remake?

MisterStone

Arcane
I'm talking about pre-1990 games here. My choices are:

1) Wasteland. Remake wasteland (with better writing and quest scripting) with a modern turn-based combat system (similar to Jagged Alliance or something). Imagine the awesomeness...

2) Autoduel. That's right, the old school Origin ARPG that almost isn't an RPG, but is still awesome just because it is awesome. It astounds me that no one has taken the format for this game (top-down real time vehicular combat with custom-built battle wagons) and make a newer version of it. Or have they?

Of course, there are some games that it would make no sense to remake- for instance, Bard's Tale. I mean, there's nothing there but that silly combat system plus a bit of maze exploration. If you didn't use the same basic format it wouldn't be the same game. But if used more or less the same format... it would kind of such amirite?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe some of the old Epyx titles like Temple of Apshai or Crush, Crumble and Chomp but a big part of their charm was in their supplementary hardcopy text descriptions and so forth.

SSI's Wizard's Crown might be worthy, though.

MMXI

Arcane
Wizard's Crown, probably. Nothing like that these days.

EDIT: Fuck you, Crispy.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I know this isn't early enough to satisfy MisterStone's qualifications, but Descent to Undermountain truly broke my heart. One of the worst implementations of what could've been one of the best RPG's evar.

I'd love to see that game redone properly with 3.5 (or Pathfinder!) rules under Metro 2033's engine. :bounce:

CorpseZeb

Learned
Hard Nova ('90) - for sure. And maybe, it's "prequel" Sentinel Worlds ('89), too. Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday ('90) also comes to mind. All of these are great sci-fi RPG games, worth a remakes.

ever

Scholar
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

As all Ultima games, the premise and main quest are quite out of the ordinary.

I was very disappointed to see a remake of Ultima VI instead by Project Britannia, as that game didn't suffer from nearly as many technical limitations as Ultima IV did.

jancobblepot

Educated
ever said:
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

ultima-reborn-avatar1.jpg

mr.doo

Educated
Oh also shadowrun for the snes. Not really old old but a well done modern version of that would probably be my favorite game ever, or at least my favourite post-2000 game ever.

ever

Scholar
jancobblepot said:
That kind of art direction for Ultima IV would be very diappointing. I would prefer the kind that came in the manuals. It sorta looked like this

Knight%201.jpg

Roderick

Savant
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Roderick said:
Agreed on Wasteland (with JA2 style combat)

Would't that be possible on JA2 itself? Why not try it?

yeah teoretically possible, with lots of work and probably changing dialogue system. Would be amazing if it happened.

In both you can kill children

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think any game from that era could benefit from a remake, assuming mechanics and overall gameplay wouldn't be too affected. Higher resolutions, high quality music and sound effects, improved interface...

ever

Scholar
SCO said:
Darklands - turn based edition. 1991 though.
:x

The combat was one of the best things about the game. It would have just been *yet another* goldbox / final fantasy tactics clone if turn based. Haven't you people had enough of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again so much that you want to ruin the ONE and I really mean it the ONE computer role playing game that had a genuine attempt at tactical real time combat.

Fuck you man.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Captive (1990) is the first one that comes to mind.

The aim of the game is that you are controlling 4 robots through a laptop to free yourself from prison. These 4 robots form a party that can not only be given weapons (ranging from knuckledusters to laser rifles and rebounding cannon balls) but exchangable robotic body parts (some of which have some interesting downsides) as well as some cool upgrades like night vision, automap and reversing gravity to walk on the ceiling!

The first thing that would have to go is the grid-based gameworld, but beyond that there's absolutely nothing in Captive that cannot be done with modern game engines. But I'm guessing today's programmers wouldn't bother with trying to implement all the levels from Captive - just enough to make a decent-length game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Crispy said:
I know this isn't early enough to satisfy MisterStone's qualifications, but Descent to Undermountain truly broke my heart. One of the worst implementations of what could've been one of the best RPG's evar.

I'd love to see that game redone properly with 3.5 (or Pathfinder!) rules under Metro 2033's engine. :bounce:

Having finished DtU a couple times, man, that game had a lot of potential. A fan made patch with better skins and quite a few bug fixes would have really done something.

I like your idea of Wizard's Crown, but would be very afraid of the Wasteland remake with "better writing." What, it needs romances or something? The text in the game was good enough, I don't think it needs too much more.

* Dragon Wars would be kind of neat to see redone. It actually did have a pretty good story, if you ever finished it.
* Legacy of the Ancients or Questron, some game like that.
* Phantasie (1-3) that game seemed dated when it was released, but was a lot of fun. No idea how you could do that game any other way than how it was done, though.
* UW1 - Just redo it exactly using modern 3D rendering engines. I was so disappointed when that sourceforge project stopped...

Ah, I have this picture of every game above being done with the Oblivion engine and I'd rather they stayed the way they are in my mind...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ever said:
Haven't you people had enough of the same thing over and over and over and over and over again

No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom