Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which RPG Should I Play Next #4: Episode 1

Which one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaekl

Educated
Patron
1. Vampire: Bloodlines (Abandoned) :1/5: Vampires are just so cringe to begin with and this game has some atrociously lame dialogue and retarded situations and characters. Top it off with the fact that the combat is ass and you've got basically a shitty deus ex for teen anime fans. How did this piece of shit get 44% of codexers to vote for it? We may never know.

2. ATOM RPG (Completed) :5/5: Proof that it's possible to be goofy without going into cringe territory (like wasteland 3 for example) and maintains a consistent tone through the whole game rather than giving you tonal whiplash with drama. On top of that, the game is fun to play, how about that?

Screenshot-from-2024-04-09-17-49-56.png

3. Knights of the Chalice (Abandoned) :3/5: I hate wizards more than anything and everything in this game is a god damned wizard. Any world this saturated with magic users deserves to end. You can almost hear the fucker who made this giggling at you with each encounter and I hope I meet him one day before I die so that I can douse him with gasoline, 5 FOOT STEP and then throw a match at him. Fucken asshole.

4. Caves of Lore (Abandoned) :2.5/5: Caves of bore.

5. Death Knights of Krynn (Completed) :4/5: I really think dnd peaked at 1st edition.

Screenshot-from-2024-04-17-18-06-10.png

6. Dungeon Rats (Completed) :5/5: This game was so good that I need to go back and play Age Of Decadence again to make sure that I didn't miss something. Like a roman version of prison break if the main characters were all Lincoln Burrows which would, of course, be a big improvement.

20240423200324-1.jpg

INTERMISSION: Age of Decadence (Complete) :3.5/5: Turns out this wasn't ass after all, it was just presented in a way that you'd think that it was ass. Thanks to dungeon rats, I knew what I was doing enough to make a Conan-style character in this, ignoring 99% of all skills. This game is so stingy that it's suffocating, supposedly to encourage you to play it again but I shudder to think how boring it would be to play a character who relies on more dialogue and less murdering.

20240425161016-1.jpg

7. Solasta
8. Nox
9. Black Geyser
10. Inquisitor
11. Planet Alcatraz
12. Summoner 2
13. Vendetta
14. Crusader: No Regret
15. Space Wreck
16. The Thing
17. Tyranny
18. Soulbringer

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've played 4 in the list plus a demo, though 3 of these are favourites of mine.

Death Knights of Krynn is one of my favourite in the series, the structure is probably the closest to Pool of Radiance, compared with Champions of Krynn here the quest is non-linear and the world is really open, the locations are meant to be entered in any order.

Knights of the Chalice is great, arguably no better game was released since its release to me. The second game is controversial for legit reasons, though I love it, but the first one you're sure to like.

Dungeon Rats is mostly just a traditional old-school RPG, you're not creating your full party which is a bit sad but at least the companions won't annoy you and the charisma system is an example of plain simple yet efficient system, basically you need some points to get up to 4 but also one extra point unlocks the next character in the story, it's simple yet works pretty well. It is easily among my favourite games released between Knights of the Chalice 1&2. 10 hours of combat, everything handcrafted and only encounters which will suck your resources, resource management is really at its best. The game does not waste your time. For the record I've not played Age of Decadence yet and don't really care about the game, combat in Age of Decadence seems good enough but I don't think it's really the same kind of game anyway.

Vampire : Bloodlines was not exactly a game for me anyway though I completed it and would have enjoyed it OK without the technical issues (both insane loading times and bugs), so today and with the good patches it's not the same game I've played. I like its implementation of skills, for example hacking will let you actually search through the computer yet low skill won't let you bypass the securities or something like that.

Based on the demo of Space Wreck I'm going to enjoy the game, I thought it felt close enough to Fallout, I needed to look for slightly hidden ways when my skills did not allow me to bruteforce my way through the obstacles and combat was organically integrated although still maybe not as central as I like the most but it was just a demo.

I bought Caves of Lore and will likely enjoy it, same with Solasta, not really interested in the other ones in the list although I own Planet Alcatraz (I think I booted this one once, not sure about this one but I think it's russian and I enjoyed quite some garbage russian games because "at least it's hard") and probably a few others via bundles.

If these exploration/turn-based combat ones are really your thing you might want to consider to check Helherron and Natuk as well.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bloodlines and Death Knights of Krynn.
Also The Thing is not really an RPG.
But you should play it, since we already talked about it in the thread I made.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All those games aren't really time consuming, so you could probably try to play even another one, if you have the time for it.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
All those games aren't really time consuming, so you could probably try to play even another one, if you have the time for it.
I'm playing every game on the list that gets more than 0 votes buddy. I can't believe you didn't vote for the thing.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm playing every game on the list that gets more than 0 votes buddy. I can't believe you didn't vote for the thing.
Ha-ha!
Yeah, I forgot you allowed multiple votes.
My bad.
Yeah, definitely play The Thing. Not a long game or anything. Hell, last time I played it, I completed it in 3 hours and a half.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I voted:
1. Atom, a very solid Fallout 1-2 clone,
2. Dungeon Rats, a combatfag version of AoD without the visual novel part.
3. Space Wreck, a cool little rpg that always gives you options to solve its numerous challenges.
4. Vampire Bloodlines - it just works (after you install the unofficial patch, but GOG version comes bundled with it).
5. Vendetta: Curse of the Raven's Cry - the ultimate pirate adventure for true men. It will up your testosterone levels and grow ample hair on your chest. If you manage to avoid technical problems and myriad of its bugs of course. So if you are not afraid - you know what to do!

The Crusader sequel because why not
Inquisitor is a weird game. Janky, very clicky at parts, tough at others, but certainly unique in the sense that you do actual inquisitorial work, complete with burning people at the stake.
KOTC mostly to avoid Solasta
Nox is one of the best arpgs ever
and Bloodlines, because it's Bloodlines. Play a clan you haven't played before.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
People are making good points for a lot of games, but remember that if you play VTMB this time you'll be all ready to play the hotly anticipated Bloodlines 2 later this year, and nobody would want to miss out on that.

People are making good points for a lot of games, but remember that if you play VTMB this time you'll be all ready to play the hotly anticipated Bloodlines 2 later this year, and nobody would want to miss out on that.
I'd never want to miss out on Bloodlines 2, but not for the reasons people might think.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
and Bloodlines, because it's Bloodlines. Play a clan you haven't played before.
Ok no problemo, which clan is the guy from in Vampire: Redemption? That's the only vampire clan I've ever taken part in but it was a loooong time ago.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Bloodlines, Solasta and Atom
Tyranny, even though flawed, is a nice experience in itself

And obviously you can't go wrong with this soundtrack:

Damn 1996 was great year, mostly sequels but look at that list: Quake, Civ2, Syndicate Wars, DN 3D, Tomb Raider, Destruction Derby 2, C&C Red Alert, Mechwarrior 2, Settlers 2, Z, Warcraft 2, HoMM2, Lords of the Realm 2, Daggerfall...

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I still play Civ 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 to this day and Civ 2 to me is better than anything that came after it because the new games became over-saturated with SYSTEMS and BALANCE which I find to be revolting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Damn 1996 was great year, mostly sequels but look at that list: Quake, Civ2, Syndicate Wars, DN 3D, Tomb Raider, Destruction Derby 2, C&C Red Alert, Mechwarrior 2, Settlers 2, Z, Warcraft 2, HoMM2, Lords of the Realm 2, Daggerfall...

The best year, second only to 1999 perhaps.

Litmanen

Educated
I voted ATOM since I've just started Trudograd.

VtMB, because it's simply wonderful.

Solasta just for fun, never played it.

Tyranny because is a nice game, not spectacular, with a very nice lore.

Edit: and Black Geyser because I would like to know how it is.

The others aren't RPG, at least the 90% of them.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i voted solasta. its got faces uglier than my mom plus a few decent fan campaign modules.

it even has it's own temple of (elemental) evil module.

tenor.gif

Knights of the Chalice is the best game on this list.

its only fault is the limiting to three classes

Vomit. Just don't

i remember enough of the game to know i got bored before the story really got going, the combat was rtwp and i distinctly missing attacks a lot. so much so that it stuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom