Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are also "adventures" which we can count as mini dungeons, much easier and gives good loot&XP. These also have some multiple scenerios depending on party members paths and choices in adventures.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lulz I just bought it :gumpyhead:
PopFacepalm.gif

Jadeite

Educated
Compare games like these to ones back in the day, and what does it matter? I know some people are addicted; and yeah, multi-player games can be like fast food, but man, comparing the current crop of games like this, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, and so forth, to AC, EQ, DAoC, FFXI and UO, is just sad. In less than half a decade we went from limitless possibilities and intelligent game design, to pure mass-market trash that plays and looks like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Angthoron

Arcane
So we're still rolling on some EN-RP? Looks like it went live, paaaaaaaaaatching.

Gonna roll a Stalker/Soldier, dunno what craft yet, lulz.

Oh yeah, and what faction? I'm more partial towards Empire, but eh.

Right, made a Dominion dude on Lightspire, same name as the forum acc.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Compare games like these to ones back in the day, and what does it matter? I know some people are addicted; and yeah, multi-player games can be like fast food, but man, comparing the current crop of games like this, Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, and so forth, to AC, EQ, DAoC, FFXI and UO, is just sad. In less than half a decade we went from limitless possibilities and intelligent game design, to pure mass-market trash that plays and looks like a Saturday morning cartoon.
I-know-that-feeling-bro-600x300.jpg

Don't worry, one of them days they'll make a game for us again.

Actually, Korea is lining up some potential killers. Yes, I am as shocked as you. Archage eats TESO for breakfast and Black Desert just ran off with Wildstar's girlfriend ... or boyfriend?

Crime as a concept in MMOs? When was the last time I saw that? Right, all the way back in the 90s, in UO. Yes, Mortal Online has stealing, but even the $150 Archage demo has more players. The possibility for unscripted shenanigans in Archage rival those of UO. It's got Piracy on the open seas, trade routes on land and sea, you can even run your own slave plantation if you're so inclined.

Black Desert got fishing, hunting, housing and on top you can be a weird huge dude. Also looks pretty gorgeous. Their engine is inhouse compared to that of Archage (Cryengine).

Remember when that one Wildstar faggot claimed that WS has "the best housing in any MMO. Ever."? Fuck you, you cheeky bastard. Even UO had more meaningful and satisfying housing than Wildstar, but BD and AA put both of them to shame in a manner like you'd expect from a 2014 game. Wildstar's "best. ever" instanced housing is outdated trash, especially when it's just a single player novelty. But that's what we are here for, right? To play single player in our god damn MMOs.

This is the same subjective bullshit that causes Putin to laugh at the US, that is it can't be backed up because it's coming from a position of fear and desperation. Making a World of Warcraft expansion pack doesn't work if you don't have the 10 years content streamlining. The words "best MMO ever" have been thrown by their arrogant stream clique like their marketing budget is bigger than the NSA's. I understand that they want to market this turd, but the ship has sailed on goofy quest-hub single player games with forced internet.

And while I laud Smedley's words and the redesign of their Everquest franchise, their pacouring and minecraftian terrain deformation systems simply won't be enough. Taking an MMO takes years and right now outside of Star Citizen and maybe Darkfall (*if* Aventurine finally gets their heads out of their asses) nothing is even trying to compete with the Korean sanboxes.

Personally, I never thought that the fucking Koreans could produce something worthwhile next to their free to play garbage, but here we are.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
Koreans making more interesting mmos than the AAA western ones was inevitable for the same reason -40+x will be a bigger sum than 20-x once x is high enough.

At least the grind has been toned down, gender locking systems removed (as in males forced to play male toons, females forced to play female toons which is made even worse by gender locked classes and gear), no pointless beginner class and the visuals don't make me want to tear out my eyes (as much as they used to).

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I'm certainly curious in Black Desert, at least, might check out Arche Age as well, but the one thing that's deterring me from BD, at least, is the whole moonspeak thing. It's not translated to English yet, afaik? Plus, will wait to get a new computer anyway.

So yeah, I know, KRMMOs might actually be something worth playing again. They're also supposed to be coming as sub MMOs rather than F2Ps, which, funny enough, makes it more attractive to me, because holy fuck, Korean F2P model. *puke*

Angthoron

Arcane
It's decent fun. If you're on EU-EN-Lightspire, give a shout some time, can wreck house as Dominion (though rolling an Exile isn't a big deal either).

Also, first impressions from "launch version": it is no longer an unoptimized piece of shit, having good steady frames at last.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeh, my framerate is decent too, though still have some stutters now and there. Need a better PC it seems :/

Also I'm playing on a German PvP server, but maybe I'll create a char on Lightspire for having a chat or something.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, might stutter some places, one of Exile intro zones is quite shader-intensive (the snowy place), but it's way better than it was in beta a month ago so far. Oh, you can also force it to run in DX9 if your GPU isn't terribly good.

Also, there appears to be cross-account chat it seems, pretty interesting as it also works cross-faction. Wonder how that works for PvP.

Any world PvP there yet? I'd kinda like some open world action again some time.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron

I had horrible stuttering on the tutorial space ship (playing dominion), since then I'm going with ~30 FPS. Haven't experienced PvP yet though, I hope it will run fine.

Oh, didn't know about that. Well, that will make up for some delicious butthurt. Ganking someone and then reading his rants... ahhhh, this is going to be good :smug:

As I said, haven't experienced any PvP yet. I hope that it will finally have some cool open PvP again though, most MMOs are missing this unfortunately.

Zed

I think the trial will be open after the headstart, so on tuesday. If I do have a trial key then you can have it :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
does the full game purchase include 30 days of gametime or something?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
You know how you sometimes just want to do something really fucking stupid?
I know I won't like the game. 45 euros isn't a lot of cash but...

Yeah, I just did something really fucking stupid.

Angthoron

Arcane

Goddammit bro, with magic help of Kinguin, you could've done the same very stupid thing but 12e cheaper!

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member

I know that feel :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom