Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Video leaked

ever

Scholar
I had a few problems running it till they patched it up. It used to crash my GPUs if they were in crossfire during cut scenes. Now I put it up to super high settings and then some (I set AA and AF to 16x in CCC) runs at around 75FPS with almost no problems.

Until some random lighting effect which is just like all the others, save that for seemingly no reason at all it reduces my frame rate by a gazillion, appears. Doesn't happen too often tho. Happened twice I think.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
bhlaab said:
It plays everything else just fine, so cram it

dont diss my rig

Yes, I'm sure it runs Fallout 2 perfectly. Post your specs so we can laugh.

bhlaab

Erudite
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
bhlaab said:
It plays everything else just fine, so cram it

dont diss my rig

Yes, I'm sure it runs Fallout 2 perfectly. Post your specs so we can laugh.

my processor is the only part that sucks. ive got a gtx275 but witcher doesnt give a shit what video card you have

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Au contraire, it ran pretty shit on a piece-of-crap graphic card. Then I upgraded and suddenly I could play at high settings without my PC pausing every five seconds to weep tears of blood.

But okay, my processor doesn't suck.

bhlaab

Erudite
Mine doesn't either actually, it's just the poorly optimized games that give me a problem (GTA4, Witcher, etc)

And the way Witcher runs I'd probably be better off with a pos processor since it's all dependant on clock speed.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
bhlaab said:
Mine doesn't either actually, it's just the poorly optimized games that give me a problem (GTA4, Witcher, etc)

And the way Witcher runs I'd probably be better off with a pos processor since it's all dependant on clock speed.
So are we going to find out what are your specs, your processor can't be worse then mine Athlon 64 2800+

1eyedking

Erudite
The Ticktockman said:
I was trying to illustrate how amusing it was that you said you would give them the benefit of the doubt and then said the dialogue was unforgivable. Apparently I have to be less subtle next time in my post.
Oh really? Jee, I didn't know. At all.

Basically because that's actually what I meant to say. It is unforgivable, but I will give them the benefit of me doubting whether it'll be 100% in or if it was there just to lure whatever publisher suit deems copying BioWare profitable.

dragonfk

Erudite
Dicksmoker said:
DraQ said:
Dragons - I hope they'll remain faithful towards the universe and let Geralt remain true to his stance regarding dragons in the books.
What is that?

He never ever killed intelligent beings. Humanoids excluded.

Ohlie

Novice
dragonfk said:
Dicksmoker said:
DraQ said:
Dragons - I hope they'll remain faithful towards the universe and let Geralt remain true to his stance regarding dragons in the books.
What is that?

He never ever killed intelligent beings. Humanoids excluded.

How did he justify such a moral stance?

dragonfk

Erudite
From what I remember he didn't have specific reasons.

For what it's worth during the saga Geralt often felt nostalgia for the past times. Even in the game there are some discussions with NPCs(with Zoltan Chivay) about obsoleteness of witchers in the wake of humanity domination. But maybe it's unrelated. Maybe it's from the witchers code that never existed(in books Geralt always conformed his customers that witchers had some kind of code of conduct, but there was none). I don't know about the game in it's translated form, but in the books and in a lesser extend in the polish version of the game, Geralt likes to philosophise with educated individuals as well as with his friends. And I believe his interest in philosophy tracts led him to create some sort of work ethics. It is interesting to note that he wouldn't bothered to educate himself if it wasn't for his feelings for Yennefer and need to impress her.

DraQ

Arcane
dragonfk said:
Dicksmoker said:
DraQ said:
What is that?

He never ever killed intelligent beings<s>. Humanoids excluded</s> as a part of contract.
Corrected. He has always seen himself as monster slayer for hire, not an assassin. He would not just take contract on humanoid either, it's just that humanoids often ended up in his path on their own volition. It all depended on who was the 'actual' monster in given case, and the answer wasn't always obvious.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, QTEs. Well fuck. But at least now the bitchers will finally learn what QTEs actually are and that the first game's combat sure wasn't it.

LAWL.
QTE = push buttons the game tells you to push. Usually more buttons. Fail, and you start from the beginning.
Witcher combat = click the mouse when the game tells you to. Just one button. Fail, and you start from the beginning.

You understand that the comparison was a hyperbole right? But now I realize my mistake, because The Witcher's combat is even dumber than QTEs so the proper hyperbole would be for example saying about Heavy Rain "hah, this game has The Witcher's combat!"

dragonfk

Erudite
DraQ said:
dragonfk said:
Dicksmoker said:
DraQ said:
What is that?

He never ever killed intelligent beings<s>. Humanoids excluded</s> as a part of contract.
Corrected. He has always seen himself as monster slayer for hire, not an assassin. He would not just take contract on humanoid either, it's just that humanoids often ended up in his path on their own volition. It all depended on who was the 'actual' monster in given case, and the answer wasn't always obvious.

Though I should have been more precise and accent that he was not an assassin you are somewhat wrong. Killing people who were between him and his goal never was a problem for him contrary to killing non-humans. Might I point out the most obvious example of sylvan in story "Where devils says goodbye" if I recall correctly. Or the dragon episode with Bors Three Something.

DraQ

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
Oh, QTEs. Well fuck. But at least now the bitchers will finally learn what QTEs actually are and that the first game's combat sure wasn't it.

LAWL.
QTE = push buttons the game tells you to push. Usually more buttons. Fail, and you start from the beginning.
Witcher combat = click the mouse when the game tells you to. Just one button. Fail, and you start from the beginning.

You understand that the comparison was a hyperbole right? But now I realize my mistake, because The Witcher's combat is even dumber than QTEs so the proper hyperbole would be for example saying about Heavy Rain "hah, this game has The Witcher's combat!"
What about BG combat?

IE game combat = click the mouse when the game tells you to once. Fail and you start from the beginning. :roll:

The difference between Witcher combat, no matter how bad it would be, and QTE is that you're not preforming predefined sequence of actions in TW - you can move around, use potions and petards, switch styles, perform special moves, cast signs, etc.

How about this:
Strawman combat = post retarded misrepresentation of something to ridicule it. Fail and you start from the beginning.

dragonfk said:
Killing people who were between him and his goal never was a problem for him contrary to killing non-humans.
Show me an instance of Geralt killing a humanoid he was neither forced to fight by circumstances, nor had a good reason to believe to be a pond scum.

Might I point out the most obvious example of sylvan in story "Where devils says goodbye" if I recall correctly. Or the dragon episode with Bors Three Something.
In both cases not slaying X was the ethical thing to do and a possible course of action. Your point was?

bhlaab

Erudite
WhiskeyWolf said:
bhlaab said:

So are we going to find out what are your specs, your processor can't be worse then mine Athlon 64 2800+

Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Not a bad cpu for most games but again, clock speed is what counts with witcher

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
bhlaab said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
bhlaab said:

Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Ummm.... Athlon 64 3000+ is 1,8GHz and runs the game fine (GF7600, 2GB RAM) on med-max settings. So what's wrong with Your CPU?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hmm, the 3000+ has the same speed as the 2800+, strange.

bhlaab

Erudite
bozia2012 said:
bhlaab said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
bhlaab said:

Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Ummm.... Athlon 64 3000+ is 1,8GHz and runs the game fine (GF7600, 2GB RAM) on med-max settings. So what's wrong with Your CPU?

Well maybe that depends on what your definition of "fine" is. I mean, the game isn't a slideshow but I get bothered by low framerates easily.

Otherwise, who knows. The more testimonials I get from people the more it seems like getting this game to run well is completely arbitrary

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
bhlaab said:
bozia2012 said:
bhlaab said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
bhlaab said:

Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Well maybe that depends on what your definition of "fine" is. I mean, the game isn't a slideshow but I get bothered by low framerates easily.

Otherwise, who knows. The more testimonials I get from people the more it seems like getting this game to run well is completely arbitrary

FPS puts objectivity where "smooth" or "fine" don't.

Angthoron

Arcane
Can be a sound driver conflict, by the way. Amazing how a goddamned soundcard compatibility gone down the drain affects the modern games.

bhlaab

Erudite
Berekän said:
FPS puts objectivity where "smooth" or "fine" don't.

Not really, because I knew a guy with a really old system trying to play bioshock at a constant 15fps and beat the whole thing and was fine with it

plus witcher doesnt even have the decency to stay at a consistently low framerate. Sometimes I get over 60fps but most of the time it's constantly jumping around 34-45 and then it bottoms out at ~20

The graphics settings don't even seem to affect it at all, except for draw distance which makes the rare 60fps moments 70fps but doesn't change the 20fps moments

I don't know if the 'disable sound' option in the menu just mutes it or what but if it fully disables it that doesn't help.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
bhlaab said:
Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Uh, I have the exact same one, and TW works like a charm for me.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Darth Roxor said:
bhlaab said:
Core 2 Duo 2.33 ghz

Uh, I have the exact same one, and TW works like a charm for me.
ya, ofcourse, but are you playing at 1920x1080 in Windows 7 x64 like bhlaab is ? i guess not :twisted:

i'm getting ~25fps at 1680x1050, 2xAA, 16xAF, HQ textures mod on a GTS250 in the Chapter 3 - Trade Quarter, his GTX260 is a bit faster, but that CPU is dragging it down hard :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom