Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2 only support 16:9 resolutions

Silellak

Cipher
I am very angry about monitor resolutions.

Coyote

Arcane
Von Paulus said:
Resolutions:
750px-Vector_Video_Standards5.svg.png

No need for a fancy chart, just think of your resolution as a fraction and reduce it (although it is nice that it provides you with all of the acronyms). For example:

800:600 -> 800/600 = 4/3 -> 4:3

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet.

(Oh, and for some reason they use 16:10 instead of 8:5. Guess it tested better with focus groups or something.)

bhlaab

Erudite
16:10 (non native)?

wtf does that mean? Anamorphic i can deal with but if i'm losing picture because i have too much monitor space fuck you

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I guess 8:5 is the true PC gamer (no true scotsman) as it is merely an expanded CGA resolution.

I sit on a 16:9, I like it. Not sure if it actually helped me in MMO's being able to see a little more to the sides of me (sans multiple monitor support at the time) but I do like the widescreen nature of it, and when watching movies/series. Would probably have preferred a 2K monitor however, but finding compatible resolutions for that might prove difficult.

I can see how the chunky bit at the bottom of the 8:5 looks to be made for an GUI of some games, so I can see its uses there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Black said:
I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this thread.
Witchers, consoles, pcs, sd, hd, jews, weird numbers, percents, aspect ratios and fuuu faces.

Fuck you all.

:lol:

This could be the summary for most of the threads here in the codex.

:salute:

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Oh my God, TW2 doesn't support my preferred aspect ratio!!! Holy shit what a fucking body blow that is. How can I possibly play this game with ugly black bars ruining the exquisite beauty of this cinematic experience? I rage uncontrollably that the boob shots will not fill the viewing window for my fapping pleasure. And what about all the awesome cutscenes were Geralt does something amazing because he's so cool and awesome? Man, this game is ruined now

Wolfus

Arcane
Twinkle said:
Except that Hollywood movies mainly use 2.35:1(21.15:9) aspect ratio, unlike HDTVs. I have no idea where did this stupid drivel (16:9 is optimal for ur immeshun, trust us!!!) come from.

Movies are made mainly for cinema-goers and wide screens in normal cinemas have 2,35:1 aspect ratio.

Anyway, Von Paulus knows very well what he is speaking about. You should listen to him, you fags :smug:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SkepticsClaw said:
Oh my God, TW2 doesn't support my preferred aspect ratio!!! Holy shit what a fucking body blow that is. How can I possibly play this game with ugly black bars ruining the exquisite beauty of this cinematic experience? I rage uncontrollably that the boob shots will not fill the viewing window for my fapping pleasure. And what about all the awesome cutscenes were Geralt does something amazing because he's so cool and awesome? Man, this game is ruined now

:x :x :x I'm canceling my preorder now! :x :x :x

I knew It's the Juice foult. M:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Spectacle said:
I didn't know people were still using 4:3 monitors for gaming.

CRT with 1024x768 here.

Ah well, I do not mind letterbox too much as long as it isn't excessive. Games like Condemned or Mirror's Edge are fine, but the Chronicles of Riddick remake has rather large black bands.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Gragt said:
Spectacle said:
I didn't know people were still using 4:3 monitors for gaming.

CRT with 1024x768 here.

Ah well, I do not mind letterbox too much as long as it isn't excessive. Games like Condemned or Mirror's Edge are fine, but the Chronicles of Riddick remake has rather large black bands.
Same resolution here.
And, the second Riddick had a letterbox? I haven't even noticed (or I just don't remember), so I guess I'll not have any issues with TW2 either.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, the Assault on Dark Athena remake has a rather strong letterboxing. There are options to adjust the aspect ratio to 3:4 but the whole thing felt annoyingly stretched so I kept it as it was.

I play on 16:9 TV now so I shouldn't care. However, I was playing on 4:3 CRT before and don't remember being bothered by letterboxed games so much. In some cases, like Resident Evil 4, I was actually thankful for it, over the shoulder TPS is pretty bad in 4:3 ratio (doesn't TW2 use the same view?), when I was playing Dead Space 1 on that CRT I thought it should have been letterboxed too.
Case of Dark Athena was unfortunate though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CD Project obviously plotted this with various display manufacturers, to force us all to buy new monitors/tvs/laptops. A worldwide conspiracy - and a clever one too.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Since all my monitors/HDTVs are 16:9 it doesn't bother me much, but it's a somewhat strange decision.

Probably won't play more than 15 mins of TW2 so I can't find myself caring.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well shit. Since I own a 5:4 (for compatibility with old games) I guess I can't get this now. :(

I'm sure black boxes will be the least of my issues with this game. Still, it seems like laziness on their part, or some other form of retardation, which probably speaks to the rest of it.

1600x1200 by the way. Great resolution.

Doesn't concern me much since I'll be switching from my old 1280x1024 19" LCD to 27" full HD mega ultra LED with extra super (u can start to be jelly now). Pretty weird thing to do though. Even if console conspiracy theories are right it doesn't change fact it's gonna come out first for pc with console ports eventually coming later, there is no real reason to not support other screen formats.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.p ... =31346.750

Someone asked "Do you know if the game supports 16:10 resolutions or will there be black bars as people fear? I've seen some screenshots from the preview build and there are black bars. Is this how the final game will be for those playing in 16:10?".

Dev answered "It can happen that there will be black borders in 1.0 version. Just because we have still some issues to work on - related to gameplay - and it's just more important than everyting else. But for sure we will not forget about native support for other resolutions. It's just a matter of time."

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If one's talking about an RPG and one has to resort to either playing in a non-native (fuzzy) screen resolution in order to attain fullscreen mode or one has to resort to playing in letterbox mode then we are talking about at least a minor loss of... wait for it... yes, immersion.

How big of a deal is it? Depends on who you ask.

Is Witcher 2 just a glorified movie? Letterbox may not be that big of a deal. But watching a fuzzy movie? Fuck that.

Is Witcher 2 an RPG? Don't want either then. Letterbox will be distracting and non-native resolution will be rage-inducing, if you ask me.

All that said, I will truly be surprised if this gets shipped with 16:9 native support only. That would be a first for the modern RPG industry AFAIK. I'd go so far as to say it'd be unacceptable even.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Apparently the reason every one here likes old games is because you are poor and cannot afford a modern display.

1024x768? Is this 1998?

turul

Augur
Black said:
I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this thread.
Witchers, consoles, pcs, sd, hd, jews, weird numbers, percents, aspect ratios and fuuu faces.

Fuck you all.

Just a very slow and uneventful day at the codex.

Gerrard

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
Apparently the reason every one here likes old games is because you are poor and cannot afford a modern display.

1024x768? Is this 1998?
My old 17 inch CRT can actually display 1920x1200, even though officially 1600x1200 is the max.
I wonder if your modern piece of shit will be able to display in what will be the "HD" standard 10 years from now. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom