Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher fanboys: the emporer is nakey.

bezimek

Scholar
Yes Lestat but it is why we all love RPG Codex .

btw. NWN 2: MoTB is next on ill-treat list.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Jasede said:
actually, i am just generating lulz. and you are delivering! thx for bringing a smile on my face, good thread, voted 5

And the next time you will want to say something seriously people will think that you are making balls, again.

Lestat said:
At RPG Codex the fun never stops.

:lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, if you want serious:

The fawning over this game is disgusting, even if it deserved it. The Codex reads like the ESF 0.5 when it comes to the Witcher. It's tiring and not the Codex way. See Eschalon: Book 1 for acceptable amounts of praise; the current amount is not befitting this place. Even MotB's fawning was still acceptable since it always came with healthy doses of criticism. But this? Calling those who don't like the game stupid?

Maybe UDH is using hyperbole. Maybe he has to in a vain effort to get himself heard and not be drowned out by the "Witcher is SOOOO awesome" masses.

~Keeper of Codex Purity

MasPingon

Arcane
You are right, but jumping from one extreme to another is not the way to solve this. There is nothing wrong in not liking the game, but if someone's coming here to say " It's fucking terrible" just because he is tired of all the praise TW received on the Codex, then it makes him look stupid.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Thread needs more Sephiroth:
Sephy.jpg

El Dee

Scholar
I think a lot of the excessive praise around here for TW is related to the massive influx of Witcher fanbois to the Codex since the game was released.

Also, methinks UDH was trying to have a bit of fun by stirring the pot and a number of people bit.

Also, I don't see what the big deal about hyperbole is when the Codex is built on it. When you see someone cut into a ripe turd, rase the chunk of shit to their mouth, then pop it in a savor the taste, what other reaction is there than hyperbole and disgust?

The worst part is when they have the gall to defend their turd-eating. The socially retarded mouthbreathers get up in your face and show off the excrement-filled crevices between your teeth. They breath and spit into your face, logorrhea turned into diarrhea as their shitstained spittle and shiteater's breath washes over you.

Just so with defenders of The Witcher, as any other philistine hypocrite. You are no better than a moron that sings the praises of American Idol while mocking America's Next Top Model in the next breath. No matter what your preference, you're still eating shit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
oreach the word brother
i love yiy okease on ne fir ny nsb abd we cab cyddke

mery chrustmas

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
undead dolphin hacker said:
Just so with defenders of The Witcher, as any other philistine hypocrite. You are no better than a moron that sings the praises of American Idol while mocking America's Next Top Model in the next breath. No matter what your preference, you're still eating shit.

If he is for the lulz then I'm Santa.

I think a lot of the excessive praise around here for TW is related to the massive influx of Witcher fanbois to the Codex since the game was released.

I think your wrong.

DefJam101

Arcane
Jasede said:
Read this fucking thread and tell me the Codex hasn't gone to shit. Let's assume The Witcher doesn't suck - there's still no need to act like a fucking dense ESF fanboy. The Codex has become the very thing it mocked.

Also, Spacemoose, you're like a mentor.

Why should people waste their time (esp. around Christmas) explaining, point by point, why a game doesn't suck to someone who obviously is not interested in listening?

The Codex hasn't gone to shit as much as you think, people are just tired of saying the same shit over and over again to people who don't really give a damn about making sense or being correct.

Therefore, lulz emerge.

dragonfk

Erudite
DefJam101 said:
Jasede said:
Read this fucking thread and tell me the Codex hasn't gone to shit. Let's assume The Witcher doesn't suck - there's still no need to act like a fucking dense ESF fanboy. The Codex has become the very thing it mocked.

Why should people waste their time (esp. around Christmas) explaining, point by point, why a game doesn't suck to someone who obviously is not interested in listening?

The Codex hasn't gone to shit as much as you think, people are just tired of saying the same shit over and over again to people who don't really give a damn about making sense or being correct.

Therefore, lulz emerge.

++1

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DefJam101 said:
Jasede said:

Therefore, lulz emerge.

Nice.............very freaking nice.

If the Arguments of the OP where write in a manner that had actually insight into why the Witcher is a crappy game and how we all are brainwashed into liking it then maybe one would respond.

But when you start to argue with a shit-talker then you will get covered by shit.

Lingwe

Liturgist
The one thing that I find a bit strange is that the quest journal in Oblivion was roasted by the Codex for being too handholding, while the quest journal in the Witcher uses the exact same style of 'summary of what I've done-what to do next', and it receives a free pass. Are these types of journal entries only meant to be criticised if they are done by Bethesda?

DefJam101

Arcane
Lingwe said:
The one thing that I find a bit strange is that the quest journal in Oblivion was roasted by the Codex for being too handholding, while the quest journal in the Witcher uses the exact same style of 'summary of what I've done-what to do next', and it receives a free pass. Are these types of journal entries only meant to be criticised if they are done by Bethesda?

Many reasons, many of these tie into the quests themselves. I'll note some key points:

1) In The Witcher, the quest objectives only serve to guide you along a path, and a creative player can find alternate solutions to seemingly common problems. In Oblivion, what was suggested of you is what NEEDED to be done, you never had ANY options. If you follow the journal EXACTLY in TW, you will not do 'as well' as you could. A good example of this is the detective quest in Act 2.

2) The quests in Oblivion often did not make sense. You were not given information, then suddenly knew how to do things. Someone could tell you, "here's my watch, give it to my friend in Asshat Ville" and you'd suddenly know where Asshat Ville was, where his friend lived, where he was at that exact moment of that exact day, and never questioned as to why this guy is trusting some yiffy fur with his favorite watch.

3) The side-quests in The Witcher almost ALWAYS tie into the 'main plotline' of the game. Nothing is simply there. In order to complete the main quest, you had to complete some side quests (with C&C, btw) while figuring out and discovering how they tie into the main driving quest.

In Oblivion, every quest was completely seperate from everything else. Couple this with the lack of choices and your inability to fail quests unless you kill the questgiver, Oblivion's quests turned into nothing more than shitty MMO-worthy missions, and an overall stale and repetitive experience.

Also note:

To those of you wondering why we don't care about TW's quest-tracking feature... many reasons:

1) They don't tell you the EXACT location of the objective. Just something that Geralt should know.

I.E.: If someone told him where they live, he knows where they live. The quest tracker is nothing more than an extension of Geralt's psyche.

2) You can turn them off. YOU COULD DO THIS IN OBLIVION AS WELL, but that brings me to point #3.

3) The game isn't fucking built around following a damn red arrow everywhere. The NPCs give realistically specific directions, and you are never tasked with going somewhere that you would not have a logical reason of visiting.

You absolutely COULD NOT play Oblivion without the trackers. The NPCs gave you little or no directions, and you would often have to travel to one of hundreds of identical caves to find a quest update.

Top Hat

Scholar
Lingwe said:

Yes. Another example that occurred to me lately.

* Morrowind does Wikipedia dialogue? Boo-hiss!
* Ultima does worse-than-Wikipedia dialogue? Some great classics lewl.

The problem that I've noticed is that people here are spending too much time being critical ad Bethesdae and attacking their design choices instead of attacking the fact that they didn't implement design choices very well. And some of them, when you get down to it, are just "It's not the type of game I like so it must be bad!"

I know this because I was guilty of the same thing until it rained today and this revelation hit me. Or maybe it was that tennis ball my uncle threw at me. In any case, something hit me.

Is Bethesda lousy at making games? Yes. But that's not to say that all of their design choices are bad by association - they're just lousy at follow-through or aren't obsessive enough or are just lazy or are too money-flushed.

I'm sick to death of people complaining about first-person perspectives: if someone makes an RPG of excellent quality AND FPP, saying it's not good JUST for that reason is retarded, as retard as saying that FPP is the be-all and end-all. Why? Because you are arbitrarily limiting the way people design games in the same way as the marketing suits do: and that makes you just as bad as them.

sabishii

Arbiter
Now, spoiler warning.

Why I like The Witcher? See this link:

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=4945.0

Secondly, the main Salamandra plot may be flat and boring (perhaps worse than Mass Effect's!), but the significant side-plot of the Scoia'tiel vs the Order is excellent. Who would you side with? The nonhumans who fight to regain their land from the humans - Or the Order who view the Scoia'tiel as terrorists because they murder innocent men, women, and children (I think)? Or do you "simply" play it neutral, and watch from the sidelines as the Scoia'tiel continue to hurt innocents as "freedom fighters" and the Order tries to maintain a social stratification based on pure racism?

Am I a fanboy? Hardly - I've been tempted to make a nice list of complaints about the game in the other thread, but haven't because I'm too lazy to also address the good points and the game doesn't deserve a totally negative review. The reason we are excited about TW is because it features such strong C&C - not just in its uniqueness compared to (most) recent RPGs, but that the devs actually care about it and know that it's important - versus almost all the rest thinking it's a waste of time.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
sabishii said:
The reason we are excited about TW is because it features such strong C&C - not just in its uniqueness compared to (most) recent RPGs, but that the devs actually care about it and know that it's important - versus almost all the rest thinking it's a waste of time.

The important thing is that you can't just pick your colour (black or white) like in Bioware games (jus' to have good/evil gear or companions) - most of time you can't forecast the outcome of your choices and sometimes you you get the opposite of what you've expected. And you don't RELOAD cuz it's too late!!1

If I had to compare MotB AKA TEH-REAL-RPG (playing now) to tW AKA THAT-IMMATURE-H'n'S (finished) I would say that both games have the same amount of love and skill put in it. MotB has more focus on dialogue skills while tW handles the fights better (I wish MotB was TB - the illusion of RT is sometimes deceiving me into attacking my desk'n'PC).

Yeah, I ate too much yesterday - I had to throw up a bit here and there...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom