Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yahtzee reviews Witcher 2?!

Drakron

Arcane
sea said:
Yahtzee is a reasonably intelligent person and always plays stuff up for controversy (bitches gotta get paid, and controversy sells), but I find he's only really reliable when it comes to console gaming.

I only find him reliable when the game sucks.

Its always a problem when he reviews a good game but cannot call it a good game and so goes nitpicking and overstretches the jokes because there is really nothing wrong with the game but he cannot say that.

That is the problem with Yahtzee reviews because he is not a critic, he is there to tear it a new one and that only works when he can do that.

Also its too soon, if you look at his Fallout 3 reviews you notice its pretty much about nothing as well because its a game were the flaws became apparently the more you play it and since he does not like RPGs its becomes very difficult for him to find reasons to complain about it.

Arlborn

Novice
If I watched this "review" before playing the game I'd be even more curious to play it, but I guess that sort of reaction isn't exactly what he was aiming for with this video.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Is a guy doing whacky animated videos on a prestigious site escapist worth discussing as a game reviewer? :it is a mystery:

Now the other series there, called extra credits, where the guy actually tries to be all serious and smug - that's pretty funny.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ZbojLamignat said:
Now the other series there, called extra credits, where the guy actually tries to be all serious and smug - that's pretty funny.
I like that show, but one time they started to bash the story and storytelling of New Vegas, and praising Fallout 3. I almost kicked down the monitor.

Thoric

Novice
Frau Bishop said:
"...and put on a fucking tie".

"A true gentleman only drinks potions before battle."

That bit was hilarious.

Anyway, he's right that the tutorial and interface are bad, really bad, but i can't wrap my mind around how someone who's been playing video games for 20 years and reviews them for a living would have that much of a hard time playing The Witcher 2.

Some of the complaints are ridiculous. If he had a problem with block "not working" it's because he didn't figure out it drains vigor, if he had a problem with dodge "taking a second to work", it's because he's playing the game on a laptop from 2005. You can also skip every single cutscene in the game, hell, you can even pause them (a feature i've missed in so many games).

And the game does diligently point out what consumables are used for what encounters in every potion/oil/bomb/monster entry. What the heck do you think you'll find in the forest when there are quests to exterminate the endregas and nekkers there? Or when being sent into a haunted hospital?

Yeah, the game does a bad job at showing you the ropes if this is your first video game ever, but as a professional game reviewer you gotta be able to look past that. Can't imagine him going through most 90s games if he was always this glib.

Darkforge

Augur
I like this guys reviews, but there is no denying he is a consoletard. WTF is he reviewing this game on a laptop with low settings anyway?

I also like fighting games and his reviews on them are also always completely consoletardedly inane.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Drakron said:
sea said:
Yahtzee is a reasonably intelligent person and always plays stuff up for controversy (bitches gotta get paid, and controversy sells), but I find he's only really reliable when it comes to console gaming.

Its always a problem when he reviews a game I like, because then his ranting makes me butthurt.

Fix'd it for you. The way people eagerly jump to defend TWitcher around here is becoming eerily reminiscent of how people on the Bioware boards defend Dragon Age/Mass Effect from every perceived slight.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So let me get this Straight.

Yathze the guy who would like more intelligent games are to fucking stupid to read and there for died and never figured out that you can use bombs and traps.

WOW how far the Gaming Industry have gone.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ulminati said:
Drakron said:

Its always a problem when he reviews a game I like, because then his ranting makes me butthurt.

Fix'd it for you. The way people eagerly jump to defend TWitcher around here is becoming eerily reminiscent of how people on the Bioware boards defend Dragon Age/Mass Effect from every perceived slight.

Twitcher 2 is not lacking in problems, but the shit Yahtzee calls it on is stupid. Too hard and too long? Really?

MasPingon

Arcane
Too hard? Seems he didin't play with 1.2 patch, this shit makes TW2 ridiculously easy. I'm in Flotsam, didin't spend a point in character development, didin't use any alchemy, didin't die even once, hack and slash through the waves of enemies. WTF, it's like totally different game from TW2 1.0. Go fuck yourself CDPR

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MasPingon said:
Too hard? Seems he didin't play with 1.2 patch, this shit makes TW2 ridiculously easy. I'm in Flotsam, didin't spend a point in character development, didin't use any alchemy, didin't die even once, hack and slash through the waves of enemies. WTF, it's like totally different game from TW2 1.0. Go fuck yourself CDPR
Derp, the patch only changes the difficulty in the prologue, it is not different in other parts of the game. Actually the only reason for the prologue being hard is that you have to learn the controls and the tactics in the beginning. Replaying the game without the patch, even the prologue is piss easy.

MasPingon

Arcane
J_C said:
MasPingon said:
Derp, the patch only changes the difficulty in the prologue, it is not different in other parts of the game. Actually the only reason for the prologue being hard is that you have to learn the controls and the tactics in the beginning. Replaying the game without the patch, even the prologue is piss easy.

I got Blue Stripes jacket from the begining, it's +7 armor and additional buffouts. I'm sure I can finish act 1 with a finger in my ass with it. I mean wtf? It doesn't even have sense storywise to wear it. There is no point in investing skill points and developing your character now

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
J_C said:
MasPingon said:

Truth. My second playthrough was with 1.1 and yeah prologue was easy seeing as I had now realized roll-dodge is king and Quen is useful. Multiple shield bearer fight was the only thing that presented a challenge (i.e. run away and keep distance to recharge vigor was required).

Cabazone

Educated
K, it's Yathzee defense time.

'cause, I really like Yathzee, you know. Zero Punctuation make me laugh and often have really clever points; point that can seems to be just details, but at least, it's details that others reviewers will never make because they are too busy trying to tell what they think their readers want to hear.
Extra punctuation is also really good : more serious and less famous than ZP, they are medium sized texts who focus on one particular object and often success to bring something interesting on the table.
Finally, I've always picture him as a pure PC gamer who also play to console game to eat (and because sometimes, great games don't go out on PC, especially Japanese games). A lot of his all time favorites are PC exclusive (thief, portal, etc.) and he often adopt a PC elitist rhetoric ("master race", etc. yes, they are a bit ironic, but i think he's in part serious). Because we all know that PC is the gaming platform of the highly educated new-generation bourgeoisie, and because we are part of this, his supposedly support to the cause make him seems like a very sympathetic person, at least to my eyes.

That say, I don't have look his review of TW2 and I will not do it, 'cause Yathzee become a perfect retard when it come to two thing : RPG and multiplayer game. He hate both of them and obviously speak about it only for business purposes; and sadly, what he say about it cannot really be describe as the fresh view of a pretty intelligent outsider, but instead as a screaming of pitiful ignorance.

bloodlover

Arcane
Worst Yahtzee review ever. And no, I am not a Witcher fanboy, but his reviews are funny and interesting only when the game actually sucks. The Witcher 2 does not suck.

Most of the "professional" reviewers bitched about having to read the manual and the difficulty of the game so I think it's only normal to call them retards and flame them on every corner since they have no clue of good games but Yahtzee on the other hand was supposed to be funny and pissed and yet somehow he fell in the same category as the others.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Gragt said:
Funny when you consider the game supports X360 pads, and I played the whole thing with it.

I noticed quite a few youtube comments and vids praised the controller in Twitch 2.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Kind of ironic the game is aimed at PC on the technical level but the actual game design is very consolish, even with the controls.

JimProfit

Barely Literate
th_Shikamaru.jpg

I don't take anything said on Escapist seriously, and neither should you. They're a bunch of hypocritical shills paid off by the industry. People get banned on the Escapist forum for far less then what Yahtzee gets PAID to say.

Yahtzee is a terrible reviewer. Like when he reviewed Darksiders, he completely forgot EVERYTHING. From the crap currency system, the puzzle, after puzzle, after stupid puzzle. The ridiculously hard Jailer mini boss, the over 9000 level run around to Tiamat. (Seriously... this should just be called gothic space marine vs Tiamat) and the new save point system which I like to call "lava point". Which means you save your game at the nearest body of lava...

Darksiders is part of a growing number of bad games. Like Fable 2, and Gears of War. Deciding which game among them is the worst, is a bit of a conundrum. Almost a philosophical question. But they are indeed all very very bad.

FatCat

Educated

go fuck urself moron , Yahtzee is not influenced by Escapist.He writes and says w/e he wants , most of you forget that he is primary humorist with lil mix of critic rather than a reviewer.

In the first place whoever has problems with TWitcher 2 difficulty and lack of tutorial, should be discounted as a competent reviewer.

JimProfit

Barely Literate
FatCat said:
go fuck urself moron , Yahtzee is not influenced by Escapist.He writes and says w/e he wants , most of you forget that he is primary humorist with lil mix of critic rather than a reviewer.
A: You're right, he's not influenced by Escapist. But Escapist lets him make an ass out of himself while the members of their board are treated like they're under an Orwellian death camp. That's exactly what I'm pointing out is that they lure people in by letting their reviewers show their dicks, but then the members can't think for themselves, let alone act in the way Yahtzee does. But then, this is nothing unusual for forums. Luckily the U.N. is going to put a stop to that. Now Escapist mods may be considered international terrorists for their human rights violations.

B: You're splitting hairs here. Whats the significant difference between a reviewer and a critic? The terms are interchangeable.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
sea said:
Yahtzee is a reasonably intelligent person and always plays stuff up for controversy (bitches gotta get paid, and controversy sells), but I find he's only really reliable when it comes to console gaming. Just about every PC game or RPG he's played, he's hated, and it's almost always out of some extremely superficial reason. He seems to really have a hard-on for "pure" gaming experiences, and I can't really fault him for that as a designer, but the complaints he'll pull out of his ass for some games are just absurd, if not outright wrong.

People have forgotten what Yhatz sounds like when he doesnt like a game.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ntasy-XIII

He thought Twitch 2 was ok.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JimProfit said:
B: You're splitting hairs here. Whats the significant difference between a reviewer and a critic? The terms are interchangeable.
How did you miss the part where he said "primary humorist"?

More like entirely humourist. Comedy critic. Or rather critical comedian?

MMXI

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
People have forgotten what Yhatz sounds like when he doesnt like a game.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ntasy-XIII
He mentions that he hates turn-based combat in that video. I suppose that supports the argument of the haters.

Claw said:
JimProfit said:
How did you miss the part where he said "primary humorist"?

More like entirely humourist. Comedy critic. Or rather critical comedian?
banned.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom