Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You have to PAY FOR OBLIVION MODS? OMG, WTF? FUBAR!

Klinn

Novice
Uhhh, this really old news. It's been discussed to death over on the TES forums.

Zero impact on the modding community unless modders for some obscure reason want to make their mod dependent on a Beth Official mod, which seems unlikely.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well I hadn't been following the game forever, I purchased it and now I am really really pissed off about this.

glasnost

Augur
Klinn said:
Zero impact on the modding community unless modders for some obscure reason want to make their mod dependent on a Beth Official mod, which seems unlikely.
Wouldn't the next step be to hamstring modding tools / institute tighter restrictions on independent modders (like say...'no mods that duplicate, or are even similar to, what we are selling'), to the end of 'encouraging' people to buy into their new paytoplay model?

I know it's old news, but I didn't look at their 'store' until today. Very alienating. It's funny how tone changes when you're reading the description of a mod that's freely available, and one that has a pricetag.

kohla

Educated
This isn't news at all but the ESF boards are up in arms about it.
Anyway, $1.99 seem a bit too much when you do a simple math like - it is about 4% of the pc version (~1/20 ) and when you think about the total contents of the game, horse armor is probably less than 1%.
Of course, in Bethesda's defense tranasaction is done via credit cards and so...you get the point.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Its been known that Bethseda was going to have pay per downloadable content for a while now, even that the first such content would be horse armor. Relatively speaking its way overpriced, but at the same time $2 or $2.50 is such a small quantity of money that people think what the heck and spend it. Its definitely the video game equivalent of those $15 "Let me guess your weight/age" carnival scams for a prize worth $3.

Micmu

Magister
Many foolish M$ Live subscribers (who have no access to user made mods) will pay for shitty mini-mods for a really shitty game so it's a good business decision.
They'll even buy the game in hope "Bethesda will make a mod or PATCH (!) to fix this and that, etc". :roll:
It's funny because there are too many trolls walking around, buying and supporting this kind of crap.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
That's the whole point of microsofts marketplace thingy, it's a ripoff i really can't see beth making much if any money out of this, if pc users get this armour then it'll most like be included with a patch.

EDIT: stupid me, i just read it, my apologies they ARE charging for the pc as well, unbelievable.

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
fizzelopeguss said:
they ARE charging for the pc as well, unbelievable.

Not unbelievable. Inevitable. How can they justify charging XBox users for Horse armor if they then turn around and give it away to PC users? MS, not to mention consolers, would throw a hissy fit.

My fear is that Bethesda will further nerf the CS in the future so that PC users have to buy their mods too.

bryce777

Erudite
micmu said:
Many foolish M$ Live subscribers (who have no access to user made mods) will pay for shitty mini-mods for a really shitty game so it's a good business decision.
They'll even buy the game in hope "Bethesda will make a mod or PATCH (!) to fix this and that, etc". :roll:
It's funny because there are too many trolls walking around, buying and supporting this kind of crap.

Cant hey make real patches for the xbox version?

I am not so against the idea of the paid mods. It could be a way to reinvigorate pc gaming a bit - they could maybe bridge the gap between MMO game and offline game revenues a bit.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
bryce777 said:
I am not so against the idea of the paid mods. It could be a way to reinvigorate pc gaming a bit - they could maybe bridge the gap between MMO game and offline game revenues a bit.

Its one thing to pay for a service, its another thing to pay for some piddly skins. Bethseda is going to have to do a lot better if they want to start a new way to generate revenue for PC games. I just don't hope it becomes buy the $50 product, then spend another $20 chasing down the right mods to make the original worthwhile.

suibhne

Erudite
The Horse Mod armor is considerably smaller than two of the official Morrowind mods which Beth released FREE.

This doesn't anger off because I care about the mods. In fact, it'll be poetic fucking justice if modders just reverse-engineer the products and release everything for free. This angers me because it creates an absolutely terrible precedent for the industry.

glasnost

Augur
Has the word 'content' always been bound so close to the word 'commodity'? It seems to be used now in a way I find pretty alienating.

It's never used in the sense that "the content of his trashy pirate romance novel is rape, pillage, and plunder," rather it's "he produced content: a trashy pirate romance novel," which is followed up closely by how much he's charging for it. The distinctiion being that the word 'content' is being used no longer in terms of analysis or critisism, but rather in terms of commodity and marketability.

That's disconcerting to me, because it seems to devalue (unfortunate word choice) what a writer or an artist does. It treats his work as something disposable or consumable. His work is no longer looked at as a vehicle for selfexpression or communcication, it's just a new dose of entertainment. The progression from this is making "content creation" an automated process. After all, if it's disposable, why not make the generation of it as quick and easy as possible ("A good business decision"). Perhaps the negative effect works in reverse, too. Writers and artists who think in terms of "content creation" are probably far less likely to create something meaningful, something great. It's hard to transcend mediocrity, especially when language is used to enforce it.

The sad thing is that the end result of this is that your "content" isn't that compelling any more. It's content without meaningful content. Games cannot be art, not because of anything lacking in the medium, but because of this reduction to disposability and commodity. It's unfortunate that games are talked about more and more in this way.

Seven

Erudite
Fuck this is a shitty idea--at least those Bioware mods/mini campaigns have some sort of substance (relatively speaking of course).

bryce777

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
bryce777 said:

Its one thing to pay for a service, its another thing to pay for some piddly skins. Bethseda is going to have to do a lot better if they want to start a new way to generate revenue for PC games. I just don't hope it becomes buy the $50 product, then spend another $20 chasing down the right mods to make the original worthwhile.

Well, I agree that one doesn't look like much of a deal. Plenty of retards will buy it just to have the 'complete' oblivion, though. Not to mention the bizarre number of people out there obsesed with hosries.

Also, no doubt there will be mod packs with a whole bunch of shit thrown in later on...I will love to see the screaming when people who paid for the horsepack see it available in the absolute complete diamond googleplex pac number 7.

The other issue with it, is the people who like little mod packs are also the people who I loathe for the most part. The larpers, the people who care more about houses and hosries than the gameplay. In short, WoWers. So, in the long run it will probably kind of suck, so maybe I take it back.

Klinn

Novice
glasnost said:
Klinn said:
Wouldn't the next step be to hamstring modding tools / institute tighter restrictions on independent modders (like say...'no mods that duplicate, or are even similar to, what we are selling'), to the end of 'encouraging' people to buy into their new paytoplay model?
Again, this question has been thrashed back and forth by various folks on the official forums. I'm not trying to say that in a nasty way, just saying that if you're interested in reading more about it, there's lots reasonanble non-fanbois discussions over there in the last months that I don't feel like retyping. ;) Check out the Mods or Con Set forums, not the hysterical General one.

glasnost said:
Has the word 'content' always been bound so close to the word 'commodity'?
Some people are content with their commodities. :)

suibhne

Erudite
On top of everything else that's been said - it's simultaneously insulting and surreal that Beth is charging real, actual money for ridiculous shinies, while the mod community is hard at work making the game playable.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I wonder if they're going to charge for patches, too.
Anyway, if buying such shitty "content" as horse armor isn't essential for making the game playable - I'm content with that. Of course, ethic would dictate that Bethesda should patch the game first.

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
Does it seem to anyone else like they are moving further and further away from the idea of user created content?

1) Charging for mods (which is potentially very profitable for them).
2) CS not bundled with game.
3) When you finally d/l the CS, you find it nerfed.
4) Game developed for XBox, which has absolutely zero chance of ever having user-created content.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh well it's a lousy mod imo. and for 2.50? that's my lunch money, I rather use it to buy another meal for dinner etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom