Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You have to PAY FOR OBLIVION MODS? OMG, WTF? FUBAR!

Quigs

Magister
suibhne said:
On top of everything else that's been said - it's simultaneously insulting and surreal that Beth is charging real, actual money for ridiculous shinies, while the mod community is hard at work making the game playable.

HAHAHAHAHA

That had me laughing for a good long whlie.

You sound like a 50's propganda campaign, about how the poor downtrodden american worker is helping to combat the villianies of COMMUNISM!

By the mod community, you mean, a bunch of 12 year olds who couldnt figure out how to get MS paint to make a box? Everyone and their cock has made, or has the brains to make, an oblivion mod.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
some exaggerates some understates,
but imo if that mod can't even beat a free mod in terms of 'added play value' then it's not even worth a look.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Does anyone else find it ironic that the first mod they're releasing is HORSE ARMOUR for a game where HORSES CAN'T ENTER COMBAT?

Now $2.50 for mounted combat I'd pay for but horse armour? Fuck that. It has to be worth the price of admission.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that the first mod they're releasing is HORSE ARMOUR for a game where HORSES CAN'T ENTER COMBAT?

Suibhne said:
On top of everything else that's been said - it's simultaneously insulting and surreal that Beth is charging real, actual money for ridiculous shinies, while the mod community is hard at work making the game playable.
Paradoxes make my head spin.

In the same vein, I'm five times more interested to read about Oblivion and consider in a gaming context than to actually play it. In fact, my only urge to do anything in the game world is merely to gain some sort of Oblivion literacy so I can follow this ongoing travesty (or miracle, depending on who you ask).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
In the same vein, I'm five times more interested to read about Oblivion and consider in a gaming context than to actually play it.
You and me both. Unfortunately, there's this overshadowing dread over all of this nonsense about Oblivion, because my beloved Fallout is next, and so far what's come out about the Oblivion has made Bethesda seem...um, incompetent. Certainly not inspired. Then again, they decided to mooch off of someone else's IP in the first place.

Bloodlust

Augur
Buy fallout 3 for 50 bucks.You can only get up to the combat armor and the laser rifle in the retail version.Should you want to be able to get the Power armor and the Plasma rifle you have to pay 2$ for each.I mean,c'mon,it's extra content,extra stuff y'know...

I can imagine how it'll look like.

Pricelisting/menu :

Retail game 50$

Armor:
Power armor 2$
Power armor mkII 2,5 $
Advanced Power armor 3$
Advanced power armor mkII 4$
Uber-Powah armor 5$

Gunz:

Turbo Plasma Rifle 3$
Uber-Avenger Minigun 3,5$
Gauss riffle 4$

Graphix:

Extra models: 4$ each

Bonus:

Monty Python references : 15$
Hidden doors : 4$

Fallout 3:Buy as much of the game as you want...

The bethesda fuckfest keeps going strong...

Jabbapop

Scholar
lol they could let you pay REAL money for hookers! whoever said that bethesda's rping caters to larpers with no real controls in their games' mechanics is out of their mind. simulated reality, rock on!

AZ

Liturgist
Elwro said:
Blahblah Talks said:
3) When you finally d/l the CS, you find it nerfed.
Really? Could you elaborate on that (I don't have the game yet)?

There is no model importer, so for example - you can't make a sword in 3dmax and put it in the game. Only skinning is possible whit third party tools.

I think, the point is, that Bethesda keeps the importer, so only they can make really new content - for money.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Quigs said:
Everyone and their cock has made, or has the brains to make, an oblivion mod.
I haven't made a mod, and I sure won't expose my brain cells to that kind of "knowledge".
My cock is known to be a hard-ass modder though.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:

Interestingly enough there was a thread on TESF where someone was complaining that when he got into a battle with anyone, they would attack the horse and not him - even if he was dismounted. Now maybe a wild animal may go for the horse, but a bandit? Can you really see a bandit attacking your horse while you stand on and watch increduously?

However, maybe it was designed to be this stupid to make people have a desire for the horse armour.

kris

Arcane
Jabbapop said:
lol they could let you pay REAL money for hookers! whoever said that bethesda's rping caters to larpers with no real controls in their games' mechanics is out of their mind. simulated reality, rock on!

Me and JackT are sold, we are going to get those hookers just after we bought the drugs.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Thanks for the update, o intrepid insider.

I really wish I could smash this guy'[s fingers so he couldn't type any more.

Ill mail you a plane ticket to NYC so you can come and try Mr. Tough guy talking smack from behing a computer monitor.

Have a great day.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
micmu said:
Many foolish M$ Live subscribers (who have no access to user made mods) will pay for shitty mini-mods for a really shitty game so it's a good business decision.
They'll even buy the game in hope "Bethesda will make a mod or PATCH (!) to fix this and that, etc". :roll:
It's funny because there are too many trolls walking around, buying and supporting this kind of crap.

That's funny because the three add-ons currently available are not even mini-mods IMHO... more akin to "minor bits we deliberately left out to try this pay per mod system"...

If I am paying for a mod I expect a little more than a mage tower and horse armor that could have been included in the original release but was intentially omitted.

When I first heard about paying for mods, I was expecting them to go all out - basically expansion packs along the line of a Bloodmoon -lite or Tribunal -lite, not this.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ill mail you a plane ticket to NYC so you can come and try Mr. Tough guy talking smack from behing a computer monitor.
Teh irany!
aiee.gif

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Nog Robbin said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Interestingly enough there was a thread on TESF where someone was complaining that when he got into a battle with anyone, they would attack the horse and not him - even if he was dismounted. Now maybe a wild animal may go for the horse, but a bandit? Can you really see a bandit attacking your horse while you stand on and watch increduously?

However, maybe it was designed to be this stupid to make people have a desire for the horse armour.

I've already had one horse killed as I was traveling from the Imperial City to Kvatch. A troll was able to keep up with me on horseback and apparently was slowly chopping away at my horse's health. I didn't think twice at first because there is no healthbar for a horse and I didn't see my health getting chopped down. When it died (horse) I thought it was funny, but a little head's up that your horse was at risk (even if it was a horse grunting with every hit) would have been nice.

Now paying for armor for the horse, which is basically a small shiny skin that may keep it alive longer isn't worth 2.00 (im on a PC) and a travesty when there is already a modder that has improved horses... fixed their speed, health and added SADDLE BAGS.... I rather send that modder my 2.00 than Bethesda for their piss poor "mods".

Paying for mods on the PC sets a very very bad standard, especially when the quality of the mods they have released (so far) are far below the quality of the mods that have been popping up.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Teh irany!
aiee.gif

Difference is, I would actually mail him a plane ticket if he wanted to attempt it. Jet Blue is fairly cheap.... He could see scenic NYC, or even better try to get into E3 and come say hi.. I would bare my fingers for him to attempt to break.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Daigoji_Gai said:
He could ... try to get into E3 and come say hi..

Hey Everyone! I'm an Indu5try Insid3r! I get to go to e3! Aren't I teh Coolness? Please accept me. Pretty please.

Bryce has people to do that type of shit for him nowadays anyway, dweebus.

somnium

Scholar
post on the esf, nice Business tactic.

The Orrery door in the Arcane Uni apparantly leads to a blank room(Can on see in PC version using console) Look here , you can see that there is a upcomming pay-for mod that puts something behind this door.

suibhne

Erudite
somnium said:
post on the esf, nice Business tactic.

The Orrery door in the Arcane Uni apparantly leads to a blank room(Can on see in PC version using console) Look here , you can see that there is a upcomming pay-for mod that puts something behind this door.

One word: LAWL.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Locue said:
Quigs said:
Everyone and their cock has made, or has the brains to make, an oblivion mod.
I haven't made a mod, and I sure won't expose my brain cells to that kind of "knowledge".
My cock is known to be a hard-ass modder though.

Mine's actually working on modding in fur hats. Go figure :roll:

Lumpy

Arcane
Blahblah Talks said:
Does it seem to anyone else like they are moving further and further away from the idea of user created content?

1) Charging for mods (which is potentially very profitable for them).
2) CS not bundled with game.
4) Game developed for XBox, which has absolutely zero chance of ever having user-created content.
Oh?
1) How exactly does that affect modders?
2) Yeah, one day BEFORE the game is released.
3) How?
4) What's that got to do with everything?

Also, they created a fucking TESCS wiki. And they offered the CS in the first place, which is something many companies don't do.

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Blahblah Talks said:
Does it seem to anyone else like they are moving further and further away from the idea of user created content?

1) Charging for mods (which is potentially very profitable for them).
2) CS not bundled with game.
4) Game developed for XBox, which has absolutely zero chance of ever having user-created content.
Oh?
1) How exactly does that affect modders?
2) Yeah, one day BEFORE the game is released.
3) How?
4) What's that got to do with everything?

Also, they created a fucking TESCS wiki. And they offered the CS in the first place, which is something many companies don't do.
1) They will sell more XBox mods than PC mods. Once they realize that, there is a very strong incentive for them not to include a CS in future versions. It doesn't not affect modder's of Oblivion, but modder's of TES V.
2) If is incrementally more difficult to obtain the CS. True, a very minor point.
3) No NIF exporter. NPC and PC response strings limited to <45 characters. There are probably other ways, but those are the ones I remember hearing about off the top of my head. The lack of exporter is a big deal. I hope they are being honest when they say it is only for legal reasons.
4) If we trace the progression, we see they are moving away from PC and towards console. If the trend continues, eventually they will not produce for PC. Granted, that is unlikely. Anyway, the more they embrace the console, the less attention they will devote to the PC and consequently the CS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom