Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You have to PAY FOR OBLIVION MODS? OMG, WTF? FUBAR!

Twinfalls

Erudite
There is however this fact:

Microsoft stipulates that all 360 games must 'feature' downloadable content. For Bethesda to meet this requirement with 'new' content soon after launch, they simply had no choice but to develop the extra stuff during the time the game itself was developed.

What I don't know is whether MS also stipulates that the downloadable content must be paid for. However - there can be no doubt that MS receives royalties for every paid download. There can also be no doubt that this is the paradigm - pay as you go - that MS wants to bring to single player games, games which do not rake in the continuous revenue of MMOs.

dongle

Scholar
In the interview with Pete that broke the news about paid-for plug-ins it claims the required 360 downloadable content does -not- have to cost money. Pete was quoted as saying; For Bethesda to do plug-ins "right" they need to devote a whole team to making them full-time. To do -that- means they need to charge money to cover their new team's costs. How true any of this is I have no clue.

Interestingly in the latest ESF update Pete says making and testing plug-ins is much, much, harder in Oblivion then in Morrowind. So, what happened to all those wonderful new easy-to-use tools for modders?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm wondering how this all is gona end. Whats the next step?
You purchase a game consisting of a mainquest and 4-5 sidequests and then you have to pay for the rest and download it...

Zomg

Arbiter
There's a million empty suits trying to figure out how to get people in a stupid enough frame of mind to spend MMO money on every other genre. Episodic content, micropayments, etc. They don't understand how that kind of dull hucksterism is going to run gaming right into the child and teenage moron gutter next to '50s comic books and Hollywood blockbusters.

suleo

Scholar
Zomg said:
There's a million empty suits trying to figure out how to get people in a stupid enough frame of mind to spend MMO money on every other genre. Episodic content, micropayments, etc. They don't understand how that kind of dull hucksterism is going to run gaming right into the child and teenage moron gutter next to '50s comic books and Hollywood blockbusters.

On the contrary, I think they understand that *perfectly*. I'd say that that is exactly their goal. $$$ talks.

Seven

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Seven said:
bryce777 said:
WHERE IS MY PLANE TICKET YOU PONCING NANCYBOY?

You're not going any way. Do you remember that time you allegedly got that ticket to Vancouver, was it?

Well, but I want to go to new york :(

I think I can take this guy. The other guy was big and mean.

bryce777 said:
Seven said:
bryce777 said:

You're not going any way. Do you remember that time you allegedly got that ticket to Vancouver, was it?

I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Has any one else noted Bryce's time ninja skills? How could he have responded to my post before I posted--And then in a fit of senile old man-ness he responded to the same post later in the same evening as if he hadn’t just time ninja’d the original. Tre Bizarre.

And yes, I'm sure that you can take "this guy" so long as you bring along your special ops nephew to do the actual assaulting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I was wondering how he did that. I kept scrolling up and down to check if I'd read your posts correctly.

TEH SEKRIT POWERS

kohla

Educated
dongle said:
In the interview with Pete that broke the news about paid-for plug-ins it claims the required 360 downloadable content does -not- have to cost money. Pete was quoted as saying; For Bethesda to do plug-ins "right" they need to devote a whole team to making them full-time. To do -that- means they need to charge money to cover their new team's costs. How true any of this is I have no clue.

Interestingly in the latest ESF update Pete says making and testing plug-ins is much, much, harder in Oblivion then in Morrowind. So, what happened to all those wonderful new easy-to-use tools for modders?

Maybe, he meant this and this .

bryce777

Erudite
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I'm wondering how this all is gona end. Whats the next step?
You purchase a game consisting of a mainquest and 4-5 sidequests and then you have to pay for the rest and download it...

It's a good questio. It just depends on how they do things. the mods offered here seem to be a shit value - mere models for a hefty price.

One thing I don't think they realize is there is a certain saturation point for MMOs and that's it - people can't play 100 hours a week after all, not for long.

The good, potentially, of this system is say that fallout had done this. Well, a lot of the mods might be pretty stupid -hey we added some rhino men check it out bitches! But they could still be making content for fallout today if they had this model - and higher res textures, engine patches, etc. etc.

We will have to see how it plays out. The good is that it could make a cult game that would normally disappear into something profitable, so if they make a niche game that has insane levels of appeal to a relatively small group they can stay in bidness. The bad is that I think most types of content sort of appeal to the MMO crowd - new houses and tons of stupid bullshit, who are pretty much diametrically opposed to what the people of the codex like in games.

bryce777

Erudite
Seven said:
bryce777 said:
Seven said:
bryce777 said:

Well, but I want to go to new york :(

I think I can take this guy. The other guy was big and mean.

bryce777 said:
Seven said:
bryce777 said:

I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Has any one else noted Bryce's time ninja skills? How could he have responded to my post before I posted--And then in a fit of senile old man-ness he responded to the same post later in the same evening as if he hadn’t just time ninja’d the original. Tre Bizarre.

And yes, I'm sure that you can take "this guy" so long as you bring along your special ops nephew to do the actual assaulting.

The scary part is I dont remember making either post.

Sisay

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
There is however this fact:

Microsoft stipulates that all 360 games must 'feature' downloadable content. For Bethesda to meet this requirement with 'new' content soon after launch, they simply had no choice but to develop the extra stuff during the time the game itself was developed.

True, MS does require every Xbox 360 game to have downloadable content but it doesn't have to be skins, models or new areas. They could have easily gone with just themes and wallpapers type of stuff.

Klinn

Novice
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I'm wondering how this all is gona end. Whats the next step? You purchase a game consisting of a mainquest and 4-5 sidequests and then you have to pay for the rest and download it...
The player advances towards a fort ruin guarded by a skeleton warrior...

"Halt! To enter this dungeon crawl, you must provide a valid credit card number."

Disgusted, player whacks skeleton, forever sealing that quest, but strips off daedric shield & sword from the body.
Back in town, player negotiates with merchant to sell loot...

"Well, since your Mercantile skill is so low, I'm going to have to charge you $1.89 to convert that loot into game gold. Agreed?"

Player throws shield at merchant and attempts to register his displeasure by using the sword, but the NPC is marked as Profit-Essential (tm) and cannot be killed. Guards rush in, arrest player and throw him in jail.
Player comes to and discovers he has a cell mate...

"Ah, they got you too, did they? Well, it may look bleak right now but this could turn out to be your lucky day. I've got this great lead on some frozen Nigerian bank funds - all I need is your credit card number..."

bryce777

Erudite
aweigh said:
You just made me want a Cherry Coke. Those sumbitches are good.

Feel the effervescence! Talk about immersion!

That is funny, because I just had a cherry coke - my first in months (I am not supposed to have any carbonation or sugar or phoshates but fuck it). I just realzied I must have marketed myself into getting one.

I thnk they taste so good because they use more sugar and less corn syrup. They are more expensive to make, though, so don't get marketed as much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom