Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Underrail: Expedition Released
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Mon 22 July 2019, 22:43:57Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition
The Underrail: Expedition expansion is finally out today. It's been almost three years since it was announced, but right now in the middle of this dull summer it feels like the release couldn't have been timed more perfectly. There's not much to say that hasn't been said already, so without further ado here's an excerpt from the release announcement:
After more than three years of development, it is finally complete.
Whereas the base game began as a one man undertaking and slowly grew from there as people joined the team and steadily settled into their multidisciplinary positions to form the current core team of four, which gives it a recognizable progress of content quality and design; the Expedition is, from start to finish, the work of this, now more experience and skilled team, laid upon a more solid design foundations.
For those who haven't been following the development: Expedition DLC features a huge underground lake on which a secondary campaign takes place. This campaign becomes accessible during the normal course of the play sometime during the mid-game. Here is a more detailed list of features:
- Around 250 new areas
- Leveling character past level 25, up to level 30
- Ability to ride and upgrade many different jet skis that vary by speed, defense, firepower and utility
- Three new weapon classes - spears, swords, and shotguns; all of these can be crafted and there are also special unique ones
- New psi school: Temporal Manipulation
- Just under 80 new feats, some of which are special new veteran feats that get unlocked beginning with level 26
- Specializations - a new way to improve your character; starting with level 16, a character will gain one specialization point that they can use to improve their feats along one or multiple dimensions
- New consumables, tools, blueprints, and more
- Dejan "Styg" Radišić (myself) - lead developer, programming, overral lore and themes, some writing, a bit of everything
- Stefan "Phrygian Dominant" Čupović - level and quest design, writing
- Mario "Mac" Tovirac - 2d & 3d art, various design work
- Nikola "Johnny" Petrović - 3d art, mostly character and creature models
Once the dust settles, I might do a more detailed piece about my thoughts on the Expedition development – what we did wrong and what we did right. I'll also talk more about our future plans then.
The Expedition DLC is available now for $10 on Steam or GOG. If you somehow never got around to buying the Underrail base game, you can now get it together with Expedition for $20, which is a $5 discount. A new version of the game has been released alongside the DLC with a few additional changes that didn't make it into the beta update earlier this month. The details about that are available in the full announcement post.