Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Jeff Vogel's Dos & Don'ts
Editorial - posted by Jason on Fri 26 March 2010, 06:35:36Tags: Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software
Jeff Vogel presents: The Outgoing Goblin's Guide to Gaming Etiquette
Remember, we are trying to imagine ourselves in a fantasy environment here! Were the middle ages sterile and clean? No! They were pretty stinky, actually. So, before your players come over, you must provide a fantasy-like gaming environment:
* Pens. Pencils. Paper.
* Spare dice and rulebooks.
* Tortilla chips.
* Comfortable chairs.
* A fair amount of grime, lint, and dirt.
* Open flames.
* Live snakes.
* Ethereal, fantasy-themed music on the stereo. I recommend Rush. Or Jethro Tull, in a pinch.
* Numerous copies of Dragon magazine. We can't stress this one enough.
* Mysterious "blood stains" on the floor. If you can't figure out a way to create realistic looking blood stains, I recommend using blood.
* A large pot of suet, organ meat, or other appropriate medieval food.
* A rich, musty, dungeon-like odor.
And remember ... science has shown that if something is good, ten times as much of it is ten times better, at least. Thus, you should strive to provide everything on this list. That way, if the screams caused by the presence of snakes distracts you, you can always just turn up the stereo.