Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Odds are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is the RPG Codex
News Content Gallery People Games Companies  
Forums About Donate RSS Contact Us!  

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly…

Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)

There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly…

Development Info - posted by VentilatorOfDoom on Sat 26 June 2010, 13:20:32

Tags: Frayed Knights

Jay "Rampant Coyote" Barnson, the man famous for giving his character portraits a truely oldschool look as well as for not appearing in the Codex person combobox to this very day, makes more excuses why Frayed Knights isn't ready yet. The main reason is that the time necessary to finish Frayed Knights will be approximately 180% of the time necessary to finish Frayed Knights, if I understood his math correctly. We at the Codex have an easier term for that: Thursday.

When I first got started in game development, I was told of the “80/20″ rule. That is, 80% of the work takes 20% of the time… and the remaining 20% of the work takes 80% of the time.  I’ve also come across the expression, “The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, and the remaining 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time.” It’s very true. Those of you nodding while wincing in pain, I see you guys are professional developers of one stripe or another.

For the rest of you, I want to invite you to ride virtual shotgun with me through a somewhat recent experience (from a month ago) in building out part of the game. I’m going to change the name of a few things to avoid too much spoilerific territory, but when you play through Act 1, you’ll undoubtedly recognize this part if you still remember this article. But all we’re going to do is script up a single room in a dungeon. Of many rooms.

Personally, I love the idea of an Transmogrification device.

 

potato at: Tales of the Rampant Coyote

There are 14 comments on There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly…

Gallery
Site hosted by Sorcerer's Place Link us!
Codex definition, a book manuscript.
eXTReMe Tracker
rpgcodex.net RSS Feed
This page was created in 0.033402919769287 seconds