Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2 will have ironman mode

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... y-revealed

The Witcher 2's insane difficulty is just that – if you die you have to start the game again from the very beginning.

"You can save the game, but when you die the saves are disabled," explained lead gameplay designer Mateusz Kanik to Eurogamer.

Hey, that's pretty cool, but...

"Of course we plan to have a resurrection scroll, maybe DLC or something. You'll see."

What's the point of introducing it in the first place, then? :?

Ah, yes, 'DLC', forgot about the $$$$

But all in all, it's cool to see Ironman getting back into teh mainstreamz one way or another.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hey, it's a win-win for them. Offer proper hardcore for srs players while making money on sheepies with resurrection scrolls!

I, for one, welcome this idea.

Black

Arcane
I know how this will work.
1. There will be AN ACHIEVEMENT for beating the game in iron man mode.
2. DLC Scrolls let you continue even after you die on iron man.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!
KA-CHING!
Still, iron man is always good, will make for some good Codex LPs, won't it, Spekkio?!

relootz

Scholar
So, what about backupping the save so i can brag on the Codex that i beat TW2 Iron Man.

:smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's the point of raging if any resurrection scroll will be in a DLC anyway? Why rage UNLESS you were secretly hoping to resurrect your character in case you died and are just upset that there will be something released that you'll guiltily pay for, just to get poor Geralt back?

relootz said:
So, what about backupping the save so i can brag on the Codex that i beat TW2 Iron Man.

Exactly. You can do this type of thing with other ironman mode games. Just exit so it saves, back up the save, then re-start the game.

dr. one

Augur
DraQ said:
SimpleComplexity said:
They found a way to legally steal money!
From morons!

:incline:
indeed.

this sounds kinda dumb though:
"Undead can dig into the ground and get up near the player. So when you run he will dig up in front of you and grab you."

Phelot

Arcane
"Undead can dig into the ground and get up near the player. So when you run he will dig up in front of you and grab you. It will be harder to just run and avoid the fight."

This quote gives me nightmares thinking about the swamp from TW1 and having to fight every fucking thing that pops out of the water... Good grief, please learn from your mistakes CDP...

Baron

Arcane
Yeah, but that was avoided by getting the Drowner charm bracelet, a clever feature to avoid combat and a money sink. They always had good ideas, I'm confident they'll continue it in the sequel.

The hand to hand fighting looks great. I don't know what is better... sneaking up and elbowing strangers in the back of the head, or neck ruffs. I better be able to deck Geralt out in one lest he be mistaken for common.

And beautiful exteriors.

"Streamlined dialogue", or Geralt saying something other than what you chose didn't impress me, or the audience member that asked the question. 'Let me out' became 'You got the wrong guy.' Streamlined should be abridged, not completely different; it's not like the text was too long. Bit tarded, that.

They were still vague on modding, thought I'm cautiously optimistic given the guy stressed they don't like to comment on a feature unless it is absolutely certain to be included, and fair enough too. And he mentioned 'the thousands of mods' inspired by the first Witcher, presumably they value that activity on their forums, although I did read posts by the few English speaking modders who felt that wasn't the case and that they had been entirely unsupported.

Still, Witcher 2, looking good. This goes out on behalf of Ancient... :love:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
What's the point of raging if any resurrection scroll will be in a DLC anyway? Why rage UNLESS you were secretly hoping to resurrect your character in case you died and are just upset that there will be something released that you'll guiltily pay for, just to get poor Geralt back?

relootz said:

Exactly. You can do this type of thing with other ironman mode games. Just exit so it saves, back up the save, then re-start the game.

Which means that smart people can play Ironman and still have their character when he dies if they want to cheat, while only the really dumb people who don't know how to use a PC will be ripped off by having to buy the DLC.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Idk if that's a good idea... I mean it certainly isn't bad - no one has to play ironman because it's optional. On the other hand what's the point in including it in story driven game? ToEE was combat driven so ironman made sense but Wiedźmin? Oh well, we'll see. In the end it's okay with me since I'm not forced to play it anyway.

I'd welcome ironman in more sandbox games like Fallout New Vegas, Risen or Morrowind.

Angthoron

Arcane
Maybe you can get killed for picking a wrong dialogue option, or end up in a very difficult situation where dying might be the most readily available option.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
relootz said:

Well if they were real cunning about it they could have some checks against precisely that.

DraQ

Arcane
Konjad said:
Idk if that's a good idea... I mean it certainly isn't bad - no one has to play ironman because it's optional. On the other hand what's the point in including it in story driven game?
Because it's manly and including it in such an extremely manly game makes sense.
Duh.

dr. one

Augur
Konjad said:
On the other hand what's the point in including it in story driven game?
to prevent manipulation with the story via reloads, i guess.
irreversible choices™

Oesophagus

Arcane
I don't get it - the whole point of playing ironman is so that you have a feeling of being manly (as DraQ pointed out). To do this you don't need to have an option speciffically implemented in the game. Just don't use savegames. Baldur's Gate has save games, yet there are some iron man LPs here.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Baron said:
Yeah, but that was avoided by getting the Drowner charm bracelet, a clever feature to avoid combat and a money sink. They always had good ideas, I'm confident they'll continue it in the sequel.

For some reason that never worked for me. I kept getting raped by drowners all the time in the sewers.

Kraszu

Prophet
Oesophagus said:
I don't get it - the whole point of playing ironman is so that you have a feeling of being manly (as DraQ pointed out).

For me it rather adds some thrill to the game of being afraid to loose my char. That said I would not play iron man in story driven game, having to replay the same thing would get boring, and would be more annoying then thrilling. That is why it works in rouglikes, games with biggest randomization.

Edit: It also changes the gameplay, you have to approach the game differently.

Dantus12

Educated
Maybe it will be free DLC for those that register the game.

They already did this before with The Witcher.

Sounds like a challenge for a second playthrough.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
Konjad said:
Idk if that's a good idea... I mean it certainly isn't bad - no one has to play ironman because it's optional. On the other hand what's the point in including it in story driven game?
Because it's manly and including it in such an extremely manly game makes sense.
Duh.

Yeah but will you replay two chapters doing the same shit with different choices? Ok, once is okay. But five times if some boss is too hard? I guess they don't have that many C&Cs to make replaying so fun every time.

As I said - imo in story driven game it's rather pointless. In sandbox or semi-sandbox games it makes perfect sense but not in games like Wiedźmin. I would get pissed of if I had to repeat the same thing the same way again just because some goblin sneak attacked me.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Erzherzog said:
Having Ironman in such a reflex based game is questionable.

Questionable, but Diablo 2 Hardcore mode was greatly appreciated back then, and dying in that game was much easier and frequent than dying in the Witcher.

Anyway, I guess they're trying to set themselves apart from the competition, as no other game currently features such an "oldskool" mode (afaik).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
There is nothing valuable in making me have to redo hours and hours and hours of content because I fucked up once.

Ironman mode = retardation

^Well, you can save between sessions. Just take a break after a boring , effortless romp (grinding, series of fetch quest, etc), that's what I do even if I'm not playing something on ironman, so I don't get fed up with a game.

Oesophagus said:
I don't get it - the whole point of playing ironman is so that you have a feeling of being manly (as DraQ pointed out). To do this you don't need to have an option speciffically implemented in the game. Just don't use savegames. Baldur's Gate has save games, yet there are some iron man LPs here.

Because knowing your save will be there if you fail, even though you don't intend to use it, might make you careless. And if you die due to a mistake you deem stupid, you might feel compelled to just load your save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom