Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian is the holy grail and 2nd coming of RPGs era

KingTurd

Novice
123msj.jpg

:mca:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Photoshopped or not, it's illogical. It states that Atari owns it.. not Obsidian... so irrelavnt until Atari decides to hire OBS...

KingTurd

Novice
Volourn said:
Photoshopped or not, it's illogical. It states that Atari owns it.. not Obsidian... so irrelavnt until Atari decides to hire OBS...

Read the front page of dex ? :retarded:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
SCO said:
Fucking D&D

D&D would be massive incline at this point. Of course, i know less to nothing about the fourth edition so perhaps i'm just being a bit optimistic. Is it really that much shittier then 3.5?

Topher

Cipher
Lyric Suite said:
SCO said:
Fucking D&D

D&D would be massive incline at this point. Of course, i know less to nothing about the fourth edition so perhaps i'm just being a bit optimistic. Is it really that much shittier then 3.5?

From what I can tell it really is that much shittier. 4th ed. seems to be built around the concept of making every single class feel powerful from the get-go and so most if not all classes, from what I can tell, have "powers" out of the gate. It's pretty mush the equivalent of "when you push a button something awesome happens" and make 3.5 seem hardcore and realistic by comparison. I mean you could do cheesy shit in 3.5 as well like a fighter with polearms/roll/whirlwind but 4th ed. really seems based around that kind of crap. I think the warlock class can teleport around during combat at level one and I know that my friend played some at low-level and he had a warrior of some sort that could float across the map to attack target using his one a day angel wings or some shit. I't like all the stupid shit from high-level muchkin D&D stuffed into low-level play.

Some of my information might not be entirely accurate as I have never personally played it but like I said from what I can tell it's more or less "pushing a button to make something awesome happen" and I just choose to outright avoid it.

Einhander

Novice
Would love to see another icewind game..Hopefully they dont fuck it with shitty 3d and leave it the way it was.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If IWD3 would have the atmosphere and pretty graphic of it's predecessors and was party based (preferably 4-8 party members) then it could be more-or-less an enjoyable hack'n slash. Perhaps.

Well, at least sounds better than another shitty Dungeon Siege.

catfood

AGAIN
Topher said:
Lyric Suite said:
SCO said:
Fucking D&D

From what I can tell it really is that much shittier. 4th ed. seems to be built around the concept of making every single class feel powerful from the get-go and so most if not all classes, from what I can tell, have "powers" out of the gate. It's pretty mush the equivalent of "when you push a button something awesome happens" and make 3.5 seem hardcore and realistic by comparison. I mean you could do cheesy shit in 3.5 as well like a fighter with polearms/roll/whirlwind but 4th ed. really seems based around that kind of crap. I think the warlock class can teleport around during combat at level one and I know that my friend played some at low-level and he had a warrior of some sort that could float across the map to attack target using his one a day angel wings or some shit. I't like all the stupid shit from high-level muchkin D&D stuffed into low-level play.

Some of my information might not be entirely accurate as I have never personally played it but like I said from what I can tell it's more or less "pushing a button to make something awesome happen" and I just choose to outright avoid it.

I've played 4th edition PNP, but I've never played any previous versions save from comupter game installments, so keep that in mind. But from the little that I've played the fact that level 1 characters (especially casters) can actually do something now other than swing their clubs and miss is a positive, not a negative.

Take for instance a lvl 1 mage in IWD:

Has 4 HP
I cast magic missle! you hit for 1 dmg. YAY!
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
goblin hits you for 4 dmg. you are dead.

or, if you actually want your lvl 1 wizard to survive
casts mage armor
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
fighter hits goblin for 5 dmg and kills him. Let's hear it for the fighter!

In 4th edition even wizards start with 20 hp, which boosts survivability, plus, more importantly, many more spells that can be used in combat. Coupled with the removal of "vancian magic", casters are now no longer useless in combat at low levels. Yes, you are right that spells and abilities seem imba at their low level, but at least you now have a wider range of choices.
There are other things wrong with 4E, such as lack of skills (I mean seriously WTF there's like only 30% of the number of skills compared to 3.5) or healing surges (I generally hate percentage based mechanics) or the fact that saving throws now scale equally for every character class (I might be wrong though), but having more options at start is NOT one of them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D&D 2-3.5 were the most fun at levels 3-5 (when you had some skills and spells but they still weren't high or countless) and was fun at levels 1-10. After lvl ~8-10 when you became a killing machine it was shit.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
4th edition is WoW on paper. Any game made with it will suck accordingly.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you struggle as a level 1-3 Wizard, you are obviously doing something wrong. Magic Armor and xbowing / slinging crap down? Yes, that's part of the experience, but what about Sleep? Grease? Those are are some very powerful spells. Most Wizards fail because they go full out Evocation. Evocation spells are shit. Especially in PnP.
Of course, admittedly, Wizards are very different in PnP than in their cRPG counterparts. They have more useful (and overpowered) utility in PnP, even at low levels.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I don't bother with DnD unless campaign starts at least at level 5.

But if you ask me, IWD3 should use Pathfinder. It's easily the best iteration of DnD rules.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I cast magic missle! you hit for 1 dmg. YAY! "

You are a fuckkin' idiot by this alone and the rest of your retarted post just backs it up. FFS

yOU ARE EPIC FAIL LOOSER

Baddygoal

Educated
Hai guise,

Do we really want an IWD3?

Chances are its going to be built on the DS3 engine, with ULTRO WONGA EPIC LENS FUHLAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRREEEEE!!!, chances are are its going to have either clickety click action combat or DA style MMO shitfest, chances are its going to have a dialogue wheel.

At the moment, the only good thing about it is that Owbsiddyouwn is developing it.

:poop:

Baddygoal

Educated
Exmit said:
drog encounter

I'm no alt, I STAAAAAAAND ALOOOOOOOOOOONE!

Though this is pretty much par for the course in Fair Codexia. Register...check. Get thread retardoed...check. Get mistaken for a drog alt...check.

Anyway, I still think that they should use some other IP or make a new IP instead of using IWD. I bet calling the game DUNGEONS & DERRAGONS or something will have more mainstream appeal than Icewind Dale.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It all depends on how their new engine works. IWD lived mainly from its atmosphere, pretty graphics, music, and not-so-horrible combat. We all know two of those aspects don't belong to Obsidian's strengths.
Still, I'm cautiously optimistic. This is definetly good news.

Rogue

Educated
casts mage armor
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*
shoots crossbow *miss*

Not. So the Wizzard is weak at lower levels. That's why he destroys everything at higher levels. Why must today everything be about instant gratification? Go play WoW.

Personally I don't bother with DnD unless campaign starts at least at level 5.

Maybe you should forget about D&D altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom