Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Magna Mundi! - Tenochtitlan Nights

It Beginz

eu3game2011-09-0219-07-35-06.jpg

Tenochtitlan is great, because its people are numerous and hardworking, its rulers strong and wise, its Gods mighty and terrible. Tenochtitlan feeds the Sun the blood he needs to rise each day. Without Tenochtitlan's sacrifices, the World would be locked in eternal night. It is only right, therefore, that all the peoples of the world pay homage to the ruler of Tenochtitlan. They do not, so they must be crushed, sacrificed, or scattered

eu3game2011-09-0219-07-41-45.jpg

Moctezuma, leader of the Aztlan, will see to it that all the tribes pay homage to Tenochtitlan, in gold or in blood. Montzeuma is both competent and experienced, having ruled the great city for thirteen years. His armies are not yet mighty, but his men are strong and brave.

eu3game2011-09-0219-08-36-83.jpg

The Maya, a once great people long past their glory days, offer Moctezuma an alliance. They are weak and will no doubt prove a hindrance, so the alliance is flatly refused. The other peoples of this world will either submit and become Aztlan, or feed the Gods. There can be no compromise here.

eu3game2011-09-0219-09-22-89.jpg

Here are the assorted modifiers, Codex. I don't understand why Aztecs are considered subsistence farmers, considering they have a city with a population well over the 100k mark. Hierarchical society would be more fitting. This is sort of better than Baluchistan, we don't get any of the great early military benefits of horse nomadism, but we have two less modifiers to remove as well.
We're also completely isolated. The first move away from this should occur automatically around when the Spaniards arrive. After that, I believe the modifiers are based on the innovation and naval sliders.
We're also completely isolated. Everyone in Central America (excluding some uncolonised provinces) shares the same religion and culture group, so coring and administration shouldn't be that big a problem. Still, tribalism will cause a lot of problems. When Spanish AIDS hits, a succession crisis isn't going to help much.

eu3game2011-09-0219-09-37-04.jpg

The New World civilisations all start at tech level 0, but with enough research so that all techs shoot up to 2 or 3 in a few months. This gives us a new idea, so I take Military Drill. Manpower is going to be utterly indispensable for reasons you will understand in a few updates, but the morale bonus is pretty handy too. Notably, the Aztlan start off with the Elite Regiments idea, like the Knights of Rhodes. I suppose this represents the badass Jaguar/Eagle Warriors. This places us firmly above all our immediate neighbours, even if we don't have a numerical advantage yet.

eu3game2011-09-0219-10-03-19.jpg

Quetzacotl dictates to Moctezuma that he must first amass his forces to eradicate any possibility of failure. The tribes to the East are weak, but the tribes to the South and West can easily match Tenochtitlan in numbers, and the terrain is rough enough to make an invasion risky. A slight numerical advantage, coupled with the inherent superiority of Tenochtitlan warriors, should prove enough to secure victory.

eu3game2011-09-0219-13-26-40.jpg

The Chalco tribes to the East offer an alliance, but they are almost as pathetic as the Maya. They are guaranteed against aggression by the Zapotec to the South, so despite their weakness they will be left alone until the other tribes are beaten.

eu3game2011-09-0219-13-39-37.jpg

I get 50 ducats from this nice mission. It's not that useful at the moment, but when the Spaniards arrive it will be handy for staving off debt as my population collapses. Mexico is the regional CoT, not a particularly valuable one, but the base tax increase is nice. Something like a third of all nearby provinces produce gold or silver, and the rest are quite underpopulated, so trade and production incomes are abysmally low.

eu3game2011-09-0219-24-14-83.jpg

Moctezuma decides that first it would be best to conquer the Michoacan tribes to the West, as they are the strongest and richest, besides the Aztlan of course. They have the larger manpower reserve, so Moctezuma opts to split a small contingent away from his main army, to deny the Michoacan reinforcements.

eu3game2011-09-0219-24-46-92.jpg

War is declared, and the Aztlan forces immediately move against the Michoacan tribes. Moctezuma personally leads his men against the main enemy force, confident that the individual superiority of his men will make up for their numerical disadvantage.

eu3game2011-09-0219-25-17-29.jpg

The secondary contingent is split into two further parts, to prevent the Michoacan from receiving reinforcements from their capital.

eu3game2011-09-0219-25-29-92.jpg

The battle in Mixtec goes badly, but the sheer bloody minded determination and discipline of the Tenochtitlan soldiers sees them through, and the enemy is put to flight.

eu3game2011-09-0219-27-58-13.jpg

The Michoacan flee towards Mexico (The retreat priorities mean defeated armies always try to go to a province without an enemy army in it). Moctezuma outmarches them and beats them to the capital, promptly sending them fleeing back to their own home city. Despite the detour to Tenochtitlan, the early phase of the war is a success. The contingent is waiting to intercept the weary, almost broken enemy. With nowhere to run, they will be routed. After that, it will simply be a matter of forcing the remaining enemy out of their forts.

eu3game2011-09-0219-28-11-17.jpg

The Michocuans are finally cornered and crushed in Tarasco. Hundreds of prisoners are sent back to Tenochtitlan to either serve as slaves, or to feed the Sun's vast appetite.

eu3game2011-09-0219-28-26-57.jpg

Moctezuma spreads his remaining forces across the Michoacan lands. There is still strong local resistance amongst the tribes, and it will take some time to completely scour the region of enemies.

eu3game2011-09-0219-28-40-30.jpg

The Michoacan chiefs try to muster a new force, but with no central authority and no direction, their efforts fall apart. Hundreds of tribesmen are forced to flee North into the hot desert, where they will surely either perish by the aridity or by the local savages.

eu3game2011-09-0219-29-07-31.jpg

The recent victories have displayed the military muscle of Tenochtitlan to the other tribes. Moctezuma, the great Chief of the Aztlan, is now widely feared and respected, even by the wary Maya to the South. Clearly, the Gods have seen fit to grant Moctezuma and his people rulership of the world, in return for the blood of the conquered.

eu3game2011-09-0219-30-58-67.jpg

Repeated attempts at raising new armies meet with disaster. Despite this, the Michoacan defenders manage to hold on valiantly, and the occupation effort takes far longer than ever should have.

eu3game2011-09-0219-31-28-57.jpg

The Southwestern tribes submit to Tenochtitlan. Several hundred prisoners are taken for sacrifice, but otherwise the locals are left intact. Moctezuma intends to absorb these people into his own tribes, rather than destroying them.

eu3game2011-09-0219-32-22-74.jpg

Meanwhile, whilst his troops are busy rooting out the Michoacans, Moctezuma begins negotiation with the Northern tribes under his rule. demanding that they formally accept the overlordship of Tenochtitlan, and by extension Moctezuma. If they decline, they will be crushed and pacified anyways, but it is worth avoiding unnecessary bloodshed if it will detract from the war effort.

eu3game2011-09-0219-33-22-40.jpg

The enemy tribes continue to submit, until eventually only the High Chief of the Michoacans remains, in his stronghold at Sayultecas. The siege is progressing infuriatingly slowly, but his food stocks are limited. Sayultecas will be Aztlan, and their High Chief will feed the Gods.

eu3game2011-09-0219-33-39-43.jpg

Moctezumas diplomacy proves successful. His grip over the tribes strengthens. Along with his conquered Michoacans, the great Chief now has the manpower to sweep over the Chalcos and Zapotecs in a tide of fury.

eu3game2011-09-0219-34-45-27.jpg

Finally, the last bastion of the Michoacans falls. The High Chief and many hundreds of his warriors are taken back to Tenochtitlan for sacrifice.

eu3game2011-09-0219-34-51-09.jpg

Michoacan is no more. The tribes are absorbed into Moctezuma's growing confederacy, and become a part of the Aztlan.

eu3game2011-09-0219-34-58-26.jpg

Quetzacotl is pleased. The Gods will feast well in the years to come, as the world trembles at the approach of the Aztlan. Only the otherworldly could bring down such a mighty force!

Does Codex approve? :M

Cassidy

Arcane
BLOOD FOR THE SUN GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULLS THRONE!

...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(

Also:

eu3game2011-09-0219-33-22-40.jpg

That is not the Aztec way.

:decline:

Change that to "The Garrisson had their hearts torn open in offerings to the Sun God"

Let's assume they were allowed to march out under armed guard to Tenochtitlan to be sacrificed. I'll change it, but unfortunately I've already played a few decades in so you wont notice it for a few updates.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Never really played natives in Americas due to sheer boredom. So I welcome this opportunity to see your pain.

Drakron

Arcane
Malakal said:
Never really played natives in Americas due to sheer boredom. So I welcome this opportunity to see your pain.

He can even play as Portugal and win (as far "winning" is concerned), he is just that good.

Renegen

Arcane
I wish you luck, and above all, don't quit before you are crushed and everyone in your empire dies of famine.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Drakron said:
Malakal said:

He can even play as Portugal and win (as far "winning" is concerned), he is just that good.

Of course he can win, AI in MMU is horribly bad at warfare (mod changed did not serve well to help it) and colonization.

BTW Portugal is a very rich and powerful nation, easy to win. All latin nations are rather easy, even in MMU (if sometimes boring). Playing third world nations is the true source of challenge here...

Fens

Ford of the Llies
great... been looking forward to this since i saw the :M land on a cactus and eat a snake

huzzah

Esquilax

Arcane
I nominate the mighty God-Emperor Clevetlacoatl - no other ruler will be more prepared to deal with the impending ITZ to come.

Fuck yes, this is the main MMU LP I was excited for since Kurland was finished (The Livonian Knights LP is still my favourite).

:incline:

Cassidy

Arcane
If the glorious Aztec Empire survives the European invasions and advances in technology, they could even use taxidermy to decorate their cannon balls with of the heads of their conquered foes!

THAT WOULD TOTALLY PLEASE THE SUN GOD!

Lumpy

Arcane
Finally. This will be good.
/marked thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom