Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Magna Mundi! - Tenochtitlan Nights

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I always though they should have added in a provincial decision to raise the base tax up to the standardized 4 in case you had too few provinces. It would make small countries much more competetive, especially if you added in a modifier that would remove the benefits in case a large country conquers those provinces.

Leaving the improvement of base tax solely to a few events (most of them tied to Grain resource) is just bad, especially compared to how well Victorias allowed you to turn poor provinces into profitable ones.

Cassidy

Arcane
I don't like giving deadlines for updates in my own LP threads for a reason.

But I expect that when given, they aren't moved in for Thursday.

:rpgcodex:

Yeah, I should probably stop that. Better late than never?

350px-Quetzalcoatl_Ehecatl.jpg

:declineoffaggot: :like:

eu3game2011-09-0219-51-53-87.jpg

The peoples of Aztlan are all very much the same, although they differ in some ways. They mostly worship the same Gods, although the other Tribes obey strange, heathenish rites. Moctezuma dictates a policy of leniency. So long as the conquered tribes pay a tribute of Gold and sacrifices, they will be allowed to retain their local practices.

eu3game2011-09-0219-51-58-43.jpg

Following the Chalco conquest, the Pokomom tribes finally cease any meaningful resistance against Moctezuma's troops. Hundreds of Pokomoms are captured and dragged back to the capital. Oaths of obedience are extracted from tribal chieftains. Those that refuse are taken to Tenochtitlan with their people, where they will no doubt make delicious morsels for Tezcatlipoca.

eu3game2011-09-0219-52-02-72.jpg

With their High Chief nowhere to be seen, the Zapotecs are completely under Moctezuma's thumb. Their tribal leaders are either loyal to Tenochtitlan, or splayed out on an altar without the use of several key extremities. The Zapotecs are, as the many tribes before them were, absorbed into Aztlan. Moctezuma can now claim dominance over all the tribes of the Sun, although the Maya remain obstinately independent.

eu3game2011-09-0219-52-09-92.jpg

Truly, Moctezuma is blessed of Quetzacotl. :salute:

eu3game2011-09-0219-53-11-87.jpg

The Maya were once great, with mighty cities to rival Tenochtitlan. Since then, their cities are dying, if not dead. Most of the Mayans live across an expanse of forest to the East, but there are many of them along the coast to the South. If he allowed them to remain independent, then Moctezuma would lose face in the eyes of the tribes, not the mention the Gods.

eu3game2011-09-0219-54-09-40.jpg

As such, the Great Chief musters what forces he has, receives the blessings of Huitzilopochtli, and marches on Guatemala. His armies haven't recovered entirely from the Zapotec war, but the Mayans are hardly mighty warriors. The conflict will, by all predictions, be a walkover.

eu3game2011-09-0219-54-14-13.jpg

A revolt breaks out amongst tribes in Tarasco soon after the declaration of war, perhaps seeing Tenochtitlan's diminished manpower as a chance at independence. This is quite fortunate, the extra sacrifices will ensure Moctezuma's victory over the Maya.

eu3game2011-09-0219-54-39-16.jpg

The obvious triumph over the Mayans coincides with the defeat of the Tarasco rebels. Neither force has been routed, but both are ultimately doomed. Without any kind of resisting army, Guatemala should fall without issue. The Tarasco rebels are clearly contributing to this, providing a steady influx of sacrificial victims.

eu3game2011-09-0219-55-01-79.jpg

As Moctezuma leads his troops further South, consuming more and more territory, his hold on administration begins to slip. Tribute exaction in particular slides into decline. Succession is becoming an issue back home, as the ability of Moctezuma's son and heir is called into question. If even the great Moctezuma has difficulty maintaining his grip over such a vast Empire, what hope does his son have?

eu3game2011-09-0219-56-02-14.jpg

Moctezuma leads the conquest of Guatemala to his generals. While they busy themselves with external conquest, the Great Chief decides to see to some internal matters. Although he had made great strides to tribal integration before the Zapotec War, some tribes still dispute him as Chosen of the Gods, particularly the Tarasco tribes, but also in Mixtec and Tlaxcala. It would be easier to just drag them before an altar, but Moctezuma give them a chance to renege on their blasphemy.

eu3game2011-09-0219-57-11-00.jpg

Guiatemala falls within a few months after the declaration of war. As usual, a portion of the population is dragged back to Tenochtitlan. Unfortunately, this may well mark the last territorial conquest for Moctezuma. Slave raids on the sparse outer lands will have to suffice, lest Tenochtitlan lose favour with the Gods.

eu3game2011-09-0219-57-32-45.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-57-53-47.jpg

The majority of tribes succumb to Moctezuma. Sacrificial offerings are given to the Gods as a symbolic tribute to Tenochtitlan. A small rebellion breaks out in the North, but they are put down. Only a few disloyal tribes remain, not nearly enough to stand against the might of Aztlan.

eu3game2011-09-0219-57-42-55.jpg

There is still much to do. Internal tensions are mounting, out of sight of the Great Ruler. Moctezuma has built an Empire, it falls to his descendants to make something of it. It is likely that everything will erupt into madness upon the Chief's death, and the whole process must begin again. Either way, the Gods will get their blood, and the Sun will rise each day.

eu3game2011-09-0219-58-39-17.jpg

The Maya to the East are permitted to retain independence, but the Guatemala tribes are not so lucky. The Eastern Maya are little better than the savage forest tribes, to the further South, or the desert dwellers to the North.

eu3game2011-09-0219-58-56-15.jpg

And with that, all the civilised tribes have been united under Moctezuma, who in turn serves the great Sun. The Gods will feast well for centuries to come, on Aztlan and savage alike. For now, the Aztlan have their moment of glory, however fleeting it may be, as masters of all the World.

I should be able to give you bros two more updates this week, but I make no promises. Don't hold your breath.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now let the waiting game begin.

You planning on reneging an idea for a colonist one?

Vaarna_Aarne

What's your plan with the Spanish? I'd figure a good way to deal with them is to gift them a poor border province for Western contact, and then maintain good relations.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
And with that, all the civilised tribes have been united under Moctezuma, who in turn serves the great Sun. The Gods will feast well for centuries to come, on Aztlan and savage alike. For now, the Aztlan have their moment of glory, however fleeting it may be, as masters of all the World.
j94je.jpg

Esquilax

Arcane
The Sun God demands a weekend offering!

... And could you bring some beer too? He'd really like that.

516px-Huitzilopochtli_telleriano.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0219-59-27-79.jpg

The wars are over. Unfortunate, as the Gods will not be receiving quite as many sacrifices. Moctezuma must now place a limit on his ambitions, especially as he grows into old age. Between slave raids against the savage tribes, and tribute from the conquered lands, the Gods will remain satiated. The Empire will grow, but first it must recover. Moctezuma's great campaigns have severely drained Tenochtitlan. The great Chief still commands the fear and loyalty of the tribes, but if he dies, his successor might not be able to hold the new Empire together. For now the Chief must simply wait, and allow his people to recover.

eu3game2011-09-0219-59-42-68.jpg

The Mayans are no longer as despised as they were, having been rendered impotent by Moctezuma. The Guatemala Mayans offer immediate loyalty, more than can be said of even some Aztlan tribes. They are given privileges and lowered tribute, in exchange for troops and complete obedience to the Chief.

eu3game2011-09-0220-00-05-98.jpg

Under Moctezuma's divinely inspired guidance, the Priesthood and the Aristocracy maintain a tight thumb over Tenochtitlan. Some of the tribes further from the capital still maintain traditional tribal freedoms, but only because they are too insignificant to bother with. The social status quo is maintained, at the cost of progress and initiative amongst the masses.

eu3game2011-09-0220-01-13-29.jpg

Rebellions still break out from time to time. Eventually this sort of activity will cease, which is a mixed blessing. These rebels keep Moctezuma on his toes, and provide ample sacrifices for the Gods. A particularly large rebellion breaks out in Mixtec. The Sun-Emperor, as Moctezuma is now styling himself, crushes it with ease, and reaffirms his dominance over the tribes. He is well into his old age though, almost ancient by the standards of mortal men. Despite his great strength, he will eventually die. Then it will be up to his son to ascend the Emperor's lofty throne.

eu3game2011-09-0220-02-01-16.jpg

Even as the Sun-Emperor nears death, further strides are being made in the integration of the tribes. Although he is willing to crush rebellions, Moctezuma wishes to avoid large scale tribal war, lest his son find himself empty handed when inevitable civil war breaks out. Therefore, the integration is purely diplomatic, although a satisfyingly large tribute of sacrificial victims is exacted.

eu3game2011-09-0220-02-11-34.jpg

:x

These puny blasphemers will feed the Sun God, sooner or later!

Probably later. :M

eu3game2011-09-0220-03-24-61.jpg

The conquests of Moctezuma were a turning point. Such a man could only have been placed on Earth by the Gods. The events surrounding his life will have severe consequences. Change is perhaps inevitable, but an unspoken consensus has been reached amongst the people. Traditions are a fine thing. Although the status quo will inevitably shift, change for change's sake is pointless inanity. This widespread philosophy is approved of, and a hundred hearts are offered up to Quetzalcoatl, in thanks for this depth of thought.

eu3game2011-09-0220-05-49-67.jpg

A few years of peace yield ample results. The Sun-Emperor's armies are once again fit to make war. It is unfortunate that the Empire will soon make war on itself, but such is the way of things. It will feed the Gods regardless.

eu3game2011-09-0220-06-18-57.jpg

And of course, as is also the way of things, the Sun-Emperor passes. Soon he will become a legend, the great founding hero of a mighty Empire, or perhaps some distant champion of a long extinct tribe. His son, Axayacatl is cunning and strong, but he is also somewhat incompetent, and he is almost universally despised amongst the conquered tribes for his many excesses as heir. As Moctezuma expected, an enormous civil war breaks out, threatening to tear the fledgling Empire apart.

eu3game2011-09-0220-06-30-74.jpg

Fortunately, although Axayacatl is hardly suited to ruling an Empire, he can certainly fight his way to the throne. He is not the man his father was, but his skills as a commander are still formidable.

eu3game2011-09-0220-07-07-45.jpg

Despite all this, the situation is dire. Internal tensions have suddenly exploded into a maelstrom of violence. It is clear that many of these tribes cannot be trusted. If the war is one, they must be destroyed, or at least kept on a tight leash.

eu3game2011-09-0220-07-18-49.jpg

Axayacatl certainly does not enjoy popular support either. In the eyes of the conquered, he has wronged them as much as his father, but he lacks that great strength of mind that lead Moctezume to conquer the world.

eu3game2011-09-0220-07-32-21.jpg

The standing army is split up into three forces, the Tenochtitlan guard, and two other smaller garrison armies dedicated to preventing rebellion. The army in Pokomom is thrust out by rebellious tribes, but not before losing many hundreds of good soldiers.

eu3game2011-09-0220-07-49-02.jpg

Further north, Axayacatl manages to win himself a victory, but it is hardly significant. Anything other than a complete rout will only delay the rebels. If this continues, many thousands more will join the ranks of the traitors.

eu3game2011-09-0220-08-52-61.jpg

The Pokomom force retreats to Guatemala, a still loyal region, to reinforce. Meanwhile, Axayacatl consolidates his forces in the North, and wins several victories against the rebels. It would seem that the civil war will come down to Pokomom. The rebels are slowly retreating there, so they must be routed there.

eu3game2011-09-0220-09-54-58.jpg

Axayacatl is forced to deal with some rebels far to the North, for fear of losing Tenochtitlan. This detour allows the rebels to capture Pokomom and subdue any remaining loyalist tribes. Axayacatl is heading Southeast with a full 9000 men, this will be settled in the lands of the Zapotecs.

eu3game2011-09-0220-10-12-08.jpg

The rebel victory in Pokomom causes a complete collapse of Moctezuma's carefully constructed tribal loyalties. This will take years to remedy, but that is not an immediate concern.

eu3game2011-09-0220-10-25-75.jpg

Axayacatl links up with his men in Guatemala, leaving his main force under the command of a trusted old nobleman. The majority of rebels have moved West, leaving only a small force barely over 4000 men to guard Pokomom. Axayacatl is confident that he can win. With Pokomom under siege, the rebels will be isolated and surrounded.

eu3game2011-09-0220-10-41-03.jpg

The battle is won (Didn't get the picture, blame either Fraps or my own incompetence) allowing Axayacatl to link back up with his main army. A subsequent triumph is obtained over the traitors. They are chased back to Pokomom and scattered. The war is won, the Gods will feast.

eu3game2011-09-0220-10-53-95.jpg

eu3game2011-09-0220-11-16-25.jpg

Pokomom is retaken, and all trace of the rebel scum is purged from the Empire.

eu3game2011-09-0220-11-09-10.jpg

Axayacatl finally takes the reins of government. He is found to be wanting, but not severely so. He is widely despised, but he has proven himself to be more than just his Father's heir. The tribes will think twice before crossing the new ruler of Tenochtitlan.

eu3game2011-09-0220-11-58-17.jpg

Sacrificial rituals are held throughout the Empire, and of course the most grand occur in Tenochtitlan itself. Hundreds of prisoners are sacrificed in a late coronation ceremony. The High Priest of the city crowns Axayacatl as Sun-Emperor of Aztlan with one hand. In his other, he clutches the still beating heart of a prominent rebel leader. Praise be to Huitzilopotchli! :M

Vaarna_Aarne

Blood and hearts for the eternal sun!

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend reading Grant Morrison's the Invisibles. It is much more of a spiritual experience than any holy book.

Great update, might want to put your ruler as a general as soon as a decent heir is born.

I've played once with the Aztecs and goddamnit, I was totally raped by everyone gangbanging me. The Spanish were actually my least concern compared to the rebels and invaders coming to have a go at me.

Also: Why not conquer that Mayan remant? You only have to bypass a super-atrittion area to do it.

Cassidy

Arcane
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Blood and hearts for the eternal sun!

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend reading Grant Morrison's the Invisibles. It is much more of a spiritual experience than any holy book.

Aztec tranny Gods and sodomites, this stuff is great.

:M

Good luck in staving the European Invasion off.

Breaking Axe

Educated
I have to say the Aztec have been the most boring civilisation that I've played so far, once I took out all the other civilisations around Mexico I was waiting around for the Europeans to come for 100 years. Looking forward to the inevitable bloody slaughter and plague.

The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Great update, might want to put your ruler as a general as soon as a decent heir is born.

I've played once with the Aztecs and goddamnit, I was totally raped by everyone gangbanging me. The Spanish were actually my least concern compared to the rebels and invaders coming to have a go at me.

Also: Why not conquer that Mayan remant? You only have to bypass a super-atrittion area to do it.

I wouldn't be able to hold it. When the plague hits manpower will be too precious to spare any there, so it'd just mean extra war exhaustion if the Spanish take it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom