Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of the year - 2011 Top 10

Bruticis

Ah, can we use a vote to remove a game from someone's list? If yes, count all of my votes to removing Dragon Age 2 or Deus Ex: HR to any dipshits that listed it.

Skyrim
Drakensang: The River of Time
Witcher 2

hanssolo

Educated
Demise: Ascension
Frayed Knights
Skyrim

(and I haven't played Ascension and didn't like Frayed Knights)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Dragon Age 2

Fallout las vegas (have played 30 minutes and it's already better than The Twitcher 2, DS, and AP).

NWN

I haven't played any of the other wannabe shit games. Sorry. I have better things to do with my time - play MM3, 6, &, 7, NHL 12, DA2, FO:LV, and mod NWN.

So, fuck ya.

Cassidy

Arcane
Drakensang: River of Time
Frayed Knights
Temple of the Elemental Evil with Circle of Eight modpack 6.1

And besides them there were mostly pieces of console port shit labelled "RPG", and perhaps a few gems I don't know about.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
F3 NV dlcs.
or
Skyrim.

PS. I hated Bethesda for years, but Witcher 2 is simply too shitty and DXHR is not really an RPG. Weak year.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not much to vote for. I played:

Dead Money - nice and atmospheric, but not very challenging. Starting with nothing helps a bit, but it doesn't take long to find decent weapons. The survival aspect is sorely missing.

Old World Blues - most of my key skills were already maxed, so the game played like a straight shooter on easy. They really should have made these DLCs stand-alone adventures. Most RPG systems are at their best at lower levels, especially SPECIAL, which never shined at higher levels to begin with, even before Bethesda got their hands on it.

Witcher 2 - an action adventure game with shitty combat

Dragon Age 2 - utter shite

Deus Ex HR - has its (rare) moments, but not an RPG, plus devoid of any challenge.

Avadon - yeah, fuck you too, Jeff.

I didn't play Drakensang. The first one was shite, I have no interest in the follow up. I'm not crazy about the humor in Frayed Knights, but a lot of people are praising the combat system, so I'll definitely give it a try later. I'm also very, very interested in that Dungeon Master clone. Loved the original to death.

My list of 10 decent RPGs of 2011:

1. Dead Money

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Vault Dweller said:

My list of 10 decent RPGs of 2011:

1. Dead Money

Dammit, you ninjaed me!

That was my choice too.. Even though its still far from being a real cRPG, it was the best I played this year.

So, count that as a vote for it, Jaesun. ;)

dr. one

Augur
Jaesun said:
IF A GAME WAS RELEASED IN ONE COUNTRY AND THEN IN THE US WITHIN THE YEARS STATED ABOVE YOU CAN LIST THEM AS YOUR VOTE. For Example Drakensang: The River of time was internationally released on Jan 11, 2011 IIRC.

Cool, TRoT came inadequately short last year, this time it might have a chance :).

My likely top:

Drakensang 2: The River of Time
Frayed Knights
The Witcher 2

A pity that timings of these polls weren´t a bit more favourable to Dragon Knight Saga.
Speaking of timings, closing the poll on Jan 1, 2012 seems a bit early, perspective and all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's see now:

The Witcher 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Frayed Knights
Fallout NV: Dead Money
Fallout NV: Honest Hearts
Fallout NV: Old World Blues
Fallout NV: Lonesome Road

And before someone asks, no, I don't think that all of the New Vegas DLCs were great RPGs, but at least they were OK. And looking at the stuff we had to work with this year, it is something.

I haven't played Drakensang, and I won't play Skyrim, so I won't add them to my list. I don't want them to take votes away from the Witcher 2 or Deus Ex. :smug:

Luigi

Barely Literate
Dead Space 2
Crysis 2
Faery: Legends Of Avalon
Dirt 3
Alice: Madness Returns
DCS: A-10C Warthog
F.E.A.R. 3
Red Orchestra 2
Tropico 4

Horrendous year overall.

I will put a couple of half hearted votes in for games I have enjoyed to a degree.

Drakensang: River of Time
Frayed Knights

Jaesun, if Ultimate Newcomer is released, I am guessing it cannot be included as it is on the C64?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Fallout NV: Dead Money
Fallout NV: Honest Hearts
Fallout NV: Old World Blues
Fallout NV: Lonesome Road

The best however are:
Let's Catch Jack the Ripper by grotsnick
VtM: Warsaw by Night by Storyfag
VtM: Wild Nights by grotsnick
Wulfen's Chronicles by Kz3r0

Honorary mention because is of 2010:
WH42K by root

Stinger

Arcane
For now I'll just vote FNV's dlcs:

Dead Money
Old World Blues

Haven't played Frayed Knights, Avadon or Drakensang: RoT I'll check those out by the end of the year and see if I add them to the list.

Captain Shrek

The Witcher 2
Drakensang: ROT (minus the temple)
New Vegas: Dead Money + Old World Blues
NWN2: Conan Chronicles : The zamorian chronicles (This is probably not a valid choice, but still actually the BEST RPG I played in this year until date)

Captain Shrek

Black said:
None of the games this year deserve "rpg of the year".

I have voted TW2. If you tell me why its not an RPG worth voting I will take my vote back. Explain. With a good objective argument. I promise I will listen.

ChristofferC

Magister
I wont vote for a fucking DLC.

And I didn't play Twitcher 2.

DX:HR is not an RPG.

Dungeons of Dredmor is not an RPG.After thinking about it for a while I decided that it is an RPG, but only barely.

So this is my list:

Dungeon Siege III
Dungeons of Dredmor

:troll:

(no srsly that's my list)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Excidium said:
For maximum irony this thread should be moved to General Gaming.
:salute:

My list (though I reserve the right to add stuff till the 3rd of January):

THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL - CIRCLE OF EIGHT MODPACK
Drakensang: River of time

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
DE: HR if it counts
Skyrim
FNV: Old World Blues

what a shitty year

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom