Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Exciting Oblivion persuasion mini-game is revealed!

Mantiis

Cipher
It is getting harder and harder to say "stfu codexers wait for Oblivion to come out then bag it".

Im still buying it dammit.

Data4

Arcane
Mantiis said:
It is getting harder and harder to say "stfu codexers wait for Oblivion to come out then bag it".

Im still buying it dammit.

Gentlemen... we seem to be making progress on this one. :lol:

-D4

7th Circle

Scholar
Wow. Honestly, I am dumbfounded.

The only reason I can think of is that they were worried that the same numbskulls who couldn't find Caius in Morrowind might be unable to get some info from a NPC because their stats were too low to raise the disposition of said NPC. Consequently, they devised something where player skill could compensate for character skill in terms of raising the NPC's dispostion.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
So do I get some construction paper and crayons with my copy of the game now? How about those scissors that can't cut my hand (or the paper)? If I sniff the glue enough will it make the pain of this infantile minigame bullshit go away. I can only hope it's modders to the rescue...

LlamaGod

Cipher
Sylvanus said:
So do I get some construction paper and crayons with my copy of the game now? How about those scissors that can't cut my hand (or the paper)? If I sniff the glue enough will it make the pain of this infantile minigame bullshit go away. I can only hope it's modders to the rescue...

TES Construction Kit 2

Comes with a bag of dirt for realistic soil erosion in your mod making

The tutorial for the editor shows you how to outline your hand and put feathers on it, thus creating a Wild Turkey MOB.

Sabregirl

Scholar
Sylvanus said:

Just when you thought things in Oblivion couldn't get any dumber . . . more news comes out!
I'm betting you money that crap persuasion system is so hard coded it won't even be funny . . . especially considering how it was changed fairly late in development . . . The best (possibly only) solution will probably be re-writing the whole dialogue system with more variable responses and just ignoring the persuasion system. And, don't sniff glue it makes your brain turn to mush, eventually preventing you from playing games at all. ;)

-S

FrancoTAU

Cipher
obediah said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Aibric said:
This is one of the worst things i've yet heard about Oblivion. I have gone from looking forward to this piece of software, to being skeptical about its quality, and now to the point where I will definitely not buy it. Oh, i'll play it to find out if its as bad as I think, but no way am I forking out $50.00 for something that now seems to be aimed at the same market as Chuck E. Cheese. Bethesda has just encouraged an act of software piracy. They should be ashamed.

Also, is it me, or does this guy seem strangely preoccupied with the wedges?

Wedge occupation is a general trait of the human heterosexual male.

Don't forget self-loathing closet homosexuals that have to think of the boy in the subway restroom while mechanically pistoning into their wife, avoiding her dead eyes and fake moans as he desparately tries to save the sham marriage for the sake of his children - who happen to be the only things keeping him from ending it all.

That was one of the more disturbing things i've seen written on a message board. Funny as hell, but disturbing.

Anywho, this game keeps sounding worse and worse. I've kept to lurking in all the Oblivion threads till the last couple days since i never played any of the TES games and didn't feel right in criticizing Oblivion because of that. But Jesus Christ, the persuasion dialogue system mixed with pay for mods seriously annoys me on principle alone. All they have to do is add Starforce and than there's no way i'd buy the game even if it receives rave reviews. Fuck Betheseda in the ass.... HARD!

kris

Arcane
FrancoTAU said:
All they have to do is add Starforce and than there's no way i'd buy the game even if it receives rave reviews.

Obviously it will.

Sabregirl said:
And, don't sniff glue it makes your brain turn to mush, eventually preventing you from playing games at all. ;)

-S

don't worry, they will make sure to make a game where even the mushbrained can play. :)

Sammael

Liturgist
Words cannot even begin to describe how incredibly retarded that minigame sounds.

I'm glad to see that somebody has deleted that bullshit from Wikipedia.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Claw said:
Whipporowill said:
So when will they announce that the game has been retitled "Dance Dance Oblivion" anyway?
Don't you mean "Dialogue Dialogue Revolution"?

Stop stealing my jokes and making them funny! Damn you!

They were both funny, in fact this whole thread is hilarious

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bethesda never was that good with the dialogue. Seems like they continue that tradition. Well, I hope that at least it will be a cool exploration game, that this time around actually has some neat quests.

Data4

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
witness the onslaught against poor young Lumpy when he brought it up:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 223688&hl=

Lumpy is in that same confused state Anakin was in before completely succombing to the dark side. He's not quite ready to be assimilated into the hivemind, yet he still feels the need to be a voice in the wilderness in the ESF. Poor guy's in a limbo right now...

(And of course, I'm just having a little fun here, so don't be too mad at me, Lumpy. ;))

-D4

Section8

Cipher
Ouch, that's one of the more painful things I've ever read. The consensus:

1. This is tons better, because it makes dialogue more interactive and challenging.
2. It's not going to be twitchy, so anyone can succeed at it.

So where's the fucking challenge? To me it sounds like a prime example of giving the player the ability to override the restriction of a low stat. Kinda like how it was dead simple to fucking smash the minigames in Fable and have unlimited funds.

Fuck, at least Fable required some kind of thinking to work out what would impress people. The best I'm hoping for is that the minigame utterly rapes you at low skill, even with the dexterity of those cup stacking freaks.

Oh and I forgot part 3 of the Elder Scrolls forum consensus...

3. We don't like Lumpy because he dares challenge the status quo

Levski 1912

Scholar
Classic! If these imbeciles think the same way about democracy and the voting process, this country's fucked.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Man, if everything was brains-based your head would explode. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is about as indepth and intellectual as you can get

these are the dumbest fucking people ever

obediah

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Man, if everything was brains-based your head would explode. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is about as indepth and intellectual as you can get

these are the dumbest fucking people ever

I guess they define indepth and intellectual as "boring and or confusing long enough for me to fall asleep". Other great intellectual classics are The Cat In The Hat, and the daily Garfield Comic (OMG picture and wordz, which one first?...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ).

Zomg

Arbiter
It's too bad Lumpy lead with the, "Player skills!" line in that thread, because that's not really the reason the minigame is stupid.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Section8 said:
Ouch, that's one of the more painful things I've ever read. The consensus:

1. This is tons better, because it makes dialogue more interactive and challenging.
2. It's not going to be twitchy, so anyone can succeed at it.

So where's the fucking challenge? To me it sounds like a prime example of giving the player the ability to override the restriction of a low stat. Kinda like how it was dead simple to fucking smash the minigames in Fable and have unlimited funds.

Fuck, at least Fable required some kind of thinking to work out what would impress people. The best I'm hoping for is that the minigame utterly rapes you at low skill, even with the dexterity of those cup stacking freaks.

Oh and I forgot part 3 of the Elder Scrolls forum consensus...

3. We don't like Lumpy because he dares challenge the status quo

It's bad, but not THAT bad. The success depends on speechcraft, while disposition is foremost governed by personlaity IIRC, so both are stats driven. And at least it now involves a minimal amount of thinking (or testing out) what might work with the NPC - there was no such thing in the MW version. I just doubt the time driven thing wil work out - either its not a challenge and thus superfluous or its actually adding a twitch component where it doesn't make sense. they should instead have limited your number of atttempts and given you ways to learn about the NPC's personality beforehand.

Rulion

Liturgist
Lumpy, on behalf of the holy TES forum Church, I officially excommunicate you from the Church of Oblivion Fanboyism. You are no longer a member, you will give me your membership card back this instance and be forced to exile.

You will only be allowed to return when you will learn to make but-kissing fanatic posts containing only good things about Oblivion or Bethesda

If you fail to comply we will force you to join our Hive Mind, you will be asimilated, resistance is futile
Poor Lumpy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom