Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Mayday

Augur
Good writing? Maybe.
Good quest? No.
Getting IN is a no-quest- smuggling stuff, organizing the distraction- there's absolutely no challenge to that.
And then? You pretty much CAN'T sneak past them and have to kill the guards, even if you're a thief. That's ok- it's a thalmor embassy after all, it's obvious that it should be difficult to infiltrate. But then why put it so early in the game?

Gord

Arcane
Mayday said:
Good writing? Maybe.
Good quest? No.
Getting IN is a no-quest- smuggling stuff, organizing the distraction- there's absolutely no challenge to that.
And then? You pretty much CAN'T sneak past them and have to kill the guards, even if you're a thief. That's ok- it's a thalmor embassy after all, it's obvious that it should be difficult to infiltrate. But then why put it so early in the game?

Oh, you can, you just have to employ some creativity.

The first level is somewhat easy. The two guards on the floor where you enter can easily be avoided.
The mage on the next floor is more of a problem, as he seems to be alerted pretty easily.
I used a muffle spell to sneak past him (very convenient, if derpy that he is facing the wall), but I guess high enough sneak skill or invisibility might work, too.
Outside is a bit more problematic, as there is another mage in front of the door you have to pass through and two guards patroling. After several unsuccessful attempts I fired an arrow across the yard to lure them away and entered while they were searching the other side of the yard (this might work with the mage on the first map, too). You need some luck and timing, though.
Inside the prison is relatively easy again, find the documents and a key and go down to the cells.
Here it's up to you if you want to save the prisoners, in which case you have to kill the guards, or sneak out, but you need the key of one of the guards, so that might be pretty hard.

attackfighter

Magister
i slaughtered them all and stole a bunch of their shit. i ddint even know why i was breaking into the place since i skipped through all the terribad dialogue as fast as it would let me

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I got tired of Skyrim and it don't find it interesting anymore. Perhaps one day I will start a warrior/rogue but playing with a mage is extremely boring, not to mention the lack of equipment. The quests and dungeons are quite boring as well. I found myself spending an hour saearching for and installing mods and not being able to play for more than 10 minutes.
So Skyrim is little less shitty than Oblivion, but that's not good enough for me. Still better than 2witcher, though.

attackfighter said:
i slaughtered them all and stole a bunch of their shit. i ddint even know why i was breaking into the place since i skipped through all the terribad dialogue as fast as it would let me

So you are running around mashing left mouse button hoping it ends soon? Why are you even playing this thing then? Just play something you like :/

fucking masochists, I swear to God

attackfighter

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
attackfighter said:

So you are running around mashing left mouse button hoping it ends soon? Why are you even playing this thing then? Just play something you like :/

fucking masochists, I swear to God

never said i didn't like it, and anyways it's an agreed upon fact that dialogue is shit so my opinion isn't new or anything

p.s. i stopped playing right after thalmor embassy

p.p.s i mash both left AND right mouse button at the same time for your information (mage) :smug:

Eyeball

Arcane
That is ineed the Codexian way to play any newly released game. Speed through 90% of the game as fast as possible to get to the shitty parts, then post several threads about how much it sucked based on those six minutes of shittiness.

Some people appear to spend a lot of time and effort in making games as boring for them as possible, such as the autistic dicklickers who abused the fuck out of the crafting system to level smithing to 100 at level 1 and then declared the game to be broken. Just play the fucking game already.

Teepo

Scholar
Is it just me or are the graphics... rather underwhelming?

The black dragon looked nice though.

I think my problem is I never liked Elder Scrolls so I will have trouble liking this game.

Would rather play divinity 2.

Obviously, the controls are completely fucked for PC.

Edwin

Scholar
Majestic47 said:
fizzelopeguss said:
some dark elf wanted me to retrieve his shitty bow.

"Thank you friend, i can't offer much but please accept this as a reward"

he proceeds to hand me fucking rubies, emeralds and even a fucking diamond...

:what:

That's nothing.
One evening, in a tavern in some little known place in Skyrim...
'Can you deliver this letter to a friend of mine?'

Sure.

I turn around, ready to exit the tavern when I noticed the arrow pointing to the guy sitting literally one table away from him. I hand over the letter and got 500 gold out of it.

Thats the Falkreath inn,I just completed the quest it was hilarious.The priest was on the other side of the table

Neeshka

Educated
"A cornered rat" in the MAIN fucking quest is bugged....

You go to a city called Riften and get to an npc that will talk to you and progress the main quest. The quest dialog entirely bugs out with no sound and then nothing happens and the door to him remains shut.

This is apparently a "known issue" from bethesda.

How on earth did a main quest bug this severe get through QA....

Markath quest in MAJORLY bugged.

Guards confront you about the murder investigation.
You can :

1. Accept and go to jail.
2. Resist arrest and kill them.

Choosing (2) completely bugs out the quest; similarly even after doing the full escape from jail subquest; killing guards will turn the entire markath guard/jarl hostile.

This is actually a known issue and a huge bug in a very big questline.

The more I play this game the shittier it seems. And the flaws become more and more irritating.

Also levelling smithing has got to be the gayest thing ever; coupled with how annoying it is to quickly use up all inventory weight limits.

Gord

Arcane
Eyeball said:
That is ineed the Codexian way to play any newly released game. Speed through 90% of the game as fast as possible to get to the shitty parts, then post several threads about how much it sucked based on those six minutes of shittiness.

Some people appear to spend a lot of time and effort in making games as boring for them as possible, such as the autistic dicklickers who abused the fuck out of the crafting system to level smithing to 100 at level 1 and then declared the game to be broken. Just play the fucking game already.

Pretty accurate.

That being said, I think about putting of a second walkthrough until CK is out and a few decent mods have appeared. Still, I have been able to play it for much longer without mods than with any other Beth game already.

Gerrard

Arcane
Neeshka said:
Markath quest in MAJORLY bugged.

Guards confront you about the murder investigation.
You can :

1. Accept and go to jail.
2. Resist arrest and kill them.

Choosing (2) completely bugs out the quest
Nah, I'm pretty sure "that's not a bug, it's a feature". Considering how pretty much every fucking quest is railroaded.

Gord

Arcane
There are some quests that are pretty bugged, but many problems with the Markath quest are simply caused by people not paying a minimum of attention at what's going on.

During the investigation part you are sticking your nose in things the people in charge don't want you to know. You get warned multiple times to stop.
If you continue you will be declared a criminal, so the guards want to arrest you. If you resist and flee, you keep your criminal status in Markath, what else should happen?

The way the quest is finaly resolved is somewhat stupid though.

Doesn't make much sense to me that you are completely freed of all charges by helping the Forsworn leader escape, even if he takes the responsibility for the murders. After all you helped one of the most wanted people in Skyrim flee...

Neeshka

Educated
Well I killed every single guard in markath; but the jarl and his followers in that room are now hostile.

So I can't turn in any quest that involves the jarl; and the forsworn quest is just stuck.

The bug is quite severe in that even console command cheats that clear infamy or pay off bounty won't work.

Similarly the riften part of the main quest is completely screwed up so I can't even finish it since the door to the npc (esbern) is just stuck.

Minor bugs are quite forgivable but how are these ?

Edit:

The esbern main quest bug is quite well documented here http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Esbern

Project: Eternity
Ed123 said:
Freelance Henchman said:
This is probably one of the best hiking simulators ever made. :thumbsup:

At higher levels it's actually a worse hiking simulator than Oblivious, as they throw goddamn Dragons at you every five minutes. I literally roll my eyes and say "for fuck's sake" every time I hear a Dragon roar, now.

Dammit, they really went that way? I just restarted after my first character reached level 15 or such so I didn't experiences that yet. What is it with Bethesda and flying annoyances.

Q4ho5.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
It took 82 hours of play time before I found a flawless sapphire (where 2 are needed for a quest).
What the fuck? I had tons of other flawless gems before it.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I took about 30 hours to find a flawless ruby for Peryite. Actually, I eventually gave up and consoled one in. And then they started appearing fucking everywhere. Fucking. Everywhere. I collected them all to prove my point. I now have 143 at 58 hours. Fuck.

Satan

Educated
Skyrim is a great, flawless game, definitely GOTY, Bethesda once again proved they are the last fortress of true RPG developers.

Project: Eternity
A nice little combat situation I got into today, think I was level 10 around that time:

- Wandered into the mountains to reach another town, encounter a frost troll and kill it using charges from a paralyze staff and peppering it with arrows while it's out.

- Further on there's a big, ruined structure, nobody seems to be around. I wander into a door that leads into a crypt of some sort.

- Inside is a majorly powerful undead that uses dragon shouts. I have to reload several times, eventually I manage to kill him with the paralyze and repeat "tactic", and it nets me an ebony warhammer. Pity I use bows and one-handed only, but it's worth a lot. During the battle the guy also disarmed me and I'm searching frantically for my bow, which was a nice dwarven one I found randomly. It had fallen into a crack behind a brazier, nicely hidden.

- I check the small tomb, and there's a big shaft in the ceiling. As I look up, another of those uber undead shoots an arrow at me, which nearly kills me. I decide to get the hell out.

- Outside I run into another ice troll, but I am completely out of charges for the paralyze staff after the undead battle earlier. I am also dangerously low on potions, despite focusing a lot on alchemy and making them regularly. I think my chanches are OK though and try to take him on, but one of his homeboys turns up as well and I'm like FUUUUU- and run like hell, pretty much jumping down the mountain.

- On the bottom I try and sneak and hopefully lose the trolls, but meanwhile a dragon has turned up which seems to be thankfully just grilling itself some deer or something. I decide to avoid it completely, which works thankfully. After a bit I finally reach the town.

I'm only playing on the standard difficulty (Adept or what it was) but I like that sometimes you really do need to run. Well, or maybe I just built this character badly or I just suck at teh vidya gaems.

Gerrard

Arcane
I love when I use the sprint attack, bump into an enemy, and they go "Hey, watch out!" while dropping dead.

Radiant dialogue!

Also
25qgj7s.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
To be fair, townsfolk will all crowd around and comment on it when you do kill a dragon. I thought that was a nice touch.

I don't see dragons that often. I'm playing the main quest, level 38 or so, and one pops up every couple of hours, and often they aren't even hostile. That said, their AI is kinda weird and I've seen them do dumb shit like stop fighting me and chase after mudcrabs on the other side of the map. I'm also not sure if them not attacking is a bug or not, but I haven't found a way to reliably trigger it every time.

Gord

Arcane
sea said:
To be fair, townsfolk will all crowd around and comment on it when you do kill a dragon. I thought that was a nice touch.

I don't see dragons that often. I'm playing the main quest, level 38 or so, and one pops up every couple of hours, and often they aren't even hostile. That said, their AI is kinda weird and I've seen them do dumb shit like stop fighting me and chase after mudcrabs on the other side of the map. I'm also not sure if them not attacking is a bug or not, but I haven't found a way to reliably trigger it every time.

There's a very short period between the end of a dragon fight and when they gather around the killed dragon when the AI switches to standard city behaviour, which is what caused the line in the screenshot. It's really just a second or two.

Also interestingly most dragon fights for me started because some npc attacked them (sometimes because they had attacked npcs, sometimes not), not because I tried to attack them.

Luzur

Good Sir
i often encounter dragon while they are being pummeled by bears.

and badly pummeled too, like a rag.

strangely enough ive never seen one do a pick up and drop move, like in that gif.

nor have ive seen any NPC's pick up anything i thrown on the town square either.

what gives Bethesda? was it all lies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom