Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #37: On Wasteland Survival and Wasteland

hiver

A question: will the frequency or the type of encounters be connected to what we do, C&C of the quests resolutions? For example, if we clear out some bigger Raider location - is that going to change random encounters in that whole area?

There is significant reactivity on the world map. This particular example has been discussed. We know it's something people would enjoy; we would enjoy it. It's going to come down to what we have time to both implement and balance.
Find the time!!!!
Make this a priority - abandon everything else!!!

Seriously though, that kind of reactivity makes a big impact on the player, presenting the effect of his choices on a bigger scale - in a very direct way.
And it can be applied in diverse ways. Not just "remove" or "establish" - depending on the narrative and setup of locations and quests there.

See Brother None comments about this in various places.
Seen it.

Logically diminishing returns. If you're crushing Supaflies and Megamaggots, you're not going to learn a lot from the experience. You'll also be able to avoid these types of low-level encounters when you are sufficiently advanced.

For people who enjoy the grind, there's some grind. For people who don't like it, it's avoidable. The diminishing returns keep it from becoming unbalanced.
Excellent. (do the same for human enemies after some specific threshold, at the least - although i guess looting will always be an incentive, if nothing else then for "parts" and just selling the loot)

If you would manage to achieve the first thing above - then it could automatically play into this issue-mechanic here, as it would remove a specific faction from the random encounters in a specific area - IF the player goes down appropriate route or solution to the problem.
Good thing about it is that it can work in an opposite direction too.
Things could become worse. Or just different.

We've talked about a mechanic that allows you to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. Implementing that mechanic is low priority because we've already got the Run button. That being said, we want to do it if there is time.
YESSS!!! NOOO!!!!

DO IT! DO IIIT! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Redeye

Arcane
2K2j5zT.png

Temaperacl

Erudite
The 2D overland map itself actually looks good in my opinion, I would've liked to show the whole thing but we decided not to because of spoilers, hence the heavy fog of war. The entire thing looks pretty cool, though no doubt some things like icons can still be tweaked as needed.

Personally, I'd like a "Basic" overland map with a very light FOW representing the kind of map a Ranger would be given. Then fill it in with details or things that were previously "unknown" as you go. Basically, FOW but the FOW is a slightly dimmed "originally known" map instead of just blackness. That's just my personal preference, though - I am not a big fan of "There was a river here?" when that is something that already would have been known.

Although if you do go for darkness, you should make it darker - the Pima and to a lesser extent Maricopa county names are pretty visible as are a couple of the landmarks. Makes me wonder if it there are several overland maps for Arizona, or if the navigable world is just smaller on the Arizona side (not a bad thing. The map just makes me curious).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 2D overland map itself actually looks good in my opinion, I would've liked to show the whole thing but we decided not to because of spoilers, hence the heavy fog of war. The entire thing looks pretty cool, though no doubt some things like icons can still be tweaked as needed.

Personally, I'd like a "Basic" overland map with a very light FOW representing the kind of map a Ranger would be given. Then fill it in with details or things that were previously "unknown" as you go. Basically, FOW but the FOW is a slightly dimmed "originally known" map instead of just blackness. That's just my personal preference, though - I am not a big fan of "There was a river here?" when that is something that already would have been known.

This! :thumbsup:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

This! :thumbsup:

Gothics and Risen did this. Where you can get basic maps first just to get a rough idea of what's around. The difference is that you didn't 'paint' the maps, but rather eventually get access to better maps. It was a good way of keeping mystery of exploration while making sense. People who've been around the region for years wouldn't all of a sudden not know anything to tell you about the area.

hiver

There doesnt need to be any FOW at all. Just new things popping up as you discover them.

Direwolf

Arcane
Don't like the 3D map that they showed. Also absolutely hated the map in M&B. I did like the one in Eisenwald, so there is definitely a way to make it 3D and not crap at the same time.

Goegoff

Educated
i've scanned briefly through this and wasteland2 thread, but haven't found the answer that someone asked me:
will wasteland2 with beta access be purchasable through steam as early access title?

Brother None perhaps?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
i've scanned briefly through this and wasteland2 thread, but haven't found the answer that someone asked me:
will wasteland2 with beta access be purchasable through steam as early access title?

Brother None perhaps?
Not right away. We may consider pre-order options like Steam Early Access further down the line.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None, is InXile going to be going to PAX East this year to show off W2 (hopefully finished) and T:ToN (hopefully with something to show)? I ask because I'm going for the full 3 days and would love to meet up and perhaps ask some Codexian questions and have you all go PR on me and avoid answering directly. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom