Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
AV software seems to be more invasive and paranoid every year. Almost any Wiz8-related unoffcial executable has given me a false positive with one AV or another, and AVG 2013 (a horrible monster) even refused to accept an exclusion.

WaltC333

Novice

This only works with 1.24--won't work with Wiz8_v1261+.exe.

did you read #46 on that thread?

This is getting really silly...;) Did you read K's release notes on 1261+? You have to run the + executable in order to see the benefits of the patch--you are not supposed to run 1261.exe by itself, as that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing. #46 talks about running 1261.exe not the + executable. You're supposed to run the + executable to see the benefits of the patch, and the alpha FOV patch doesn't work with it. I mean, it's nothing the author of the patch himself didn't say in *his* release notes...;) He said it runs on 1.24 and it does as I ran it without a problem. It crashes almost immediately when running the 1261+ exe. I really didn't need the widescreen patch anyway as I've been running Winz 8 at a scaled 1920x1200 for quite sometime now. I appreciate his efforts, but it's an alpha patch and possibly when it gets to beta I'll be able to see some difference on *my* 8:5 monitor when I run it, and it may no longer conflict with K's patching, etc.

WaltC333

Novice
I am going to assume that you are trying to be helpful. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Yes, entirely...;) I've been very happy with the AV proggy that I mentioned--no false positives (and also no "fake positives" either--you know, "finding" stuff in the registry that isn't a threat to anything and labeling it a threat nonetheless, as I've seen out of some AV programs.) I simply wanted to mention it, that's all. Merry Christmas!

WaltC333

Novice
AV software seems to be more invasive and paranoid every year. Almost any Wiz8-related unoffcial executable has given me a false positive with one AV or another, and AVG 2013 (a horrible monster) even refused to accept an exclusion.

Have a very merry Christmas, K! I come out here religiously at least once a week to check on the patch status...;) Thanks so much for working on this--it's a worthy game. Completely agree about AVG--it seems nigh as bad/poor/intrusive as McAffee's ...;)

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Thank you and everyone else who contributes here. I won't be working on this for some time, so I figured I'd better release at least the improvements I have already made before starting work on Compound. So here's a quick update:

-fixed the ptorch/x-ray swap
-redone female lizard statue again, now with a head out of vanilla portrait
-new icons for config executables, the first ones I made were atrocious
-60+ moreitem icons
-she-lizard redone again
-edited item strings to prevent red potions showing up as blue etc.
-reverted No-Dachi as 1-handed, as it was pointed out to me to be astupid idea
-Ninja exp progression changed from Elite to Hybrid
-fixed hopefully all reported item stat errors and ommissions
-included the official 1.24 patch in the mod, so the version of your game doesn't matter

The change of samurai armor names was quite controversial so I let the idea go, at least for now.

Download

If you find any items with wrong icon coordinates and want to help fixing them quickly, please post screenshot(s) of all affected occurencies (inventory / equip slot / hand). Best in 640x480. The offset in pixels is all that's needed to correct them in a minute, and in 640x480 the game doesn't scale UI.

Dunno about the widescreen patch compatibility as I don't have a widescreen myself. Might look into it on someone else's PC.

Salk

Novice
Patron
Thank you very much for this update, Kaucukovnik! Sorry to read that this project is being put on hold but very grateful for this release!

paxton676

Novice

This only works with 1.24--won't work with Wiz8_v1261+.exe.

did you read #46 on that thread?

This is getting really silly...;) Did you read K's release notes on 1261+? You have to run the + executable in order to see the benefits of the patch--you are not supposed to run 1261.exe by itself, as that sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing. #46 talks about running 1261.exe not the + executable. You're supposed to run the + executable to see the benefits of the patch, and the alpha FOV patch doesn't work with it. I mean, it's nothing the author of the patch himself didn't say in *his* release notes...;) He said it runs on 1.24 and it does as I ran it without a problem. It crashes almost immediately when running the 1261+ exe. I really didn't need the widescreen patch anyway as I've been running Winz 8 at a scaled 1920x1200 for quite sometime now. I appreciate his efforts, but it's an alpha patch and possibly when it gets to beta I'll be able to see some difference on *my* 8:5 monitor when I run it, and it may no longer conflict with K's patching, etc.

The + exe is not an exe at all, it is similar to the batch file used to launch cosmic forge mods. Yes you need to run the + exe to get the benefits of the mod. If you had kept reading past my post #46 you would see that the issue is between cosmic forge cfagent.dll and the widescreen mod .dll. I have already sent a PM to mad god who is the programmer of the cosmic forge. He already responded that he MIGHT take a look at the issue. I did however find a work around. This enhancement mod uses 4.08 version of cosmic forge. I found that if you use the cfagent.dll from the older 3.78 version of cosmic forge than the enhancement mod + widescreen mod work fine, you can launch from the + EXE.

The 3.78 cosmic forge is about 6 months older than the 4.08 so what I don't know is if the enhancement mod is using some features that were added to cosmic forge during that time. This is why I have asked mad god to update the latest version of cosmic forge, 4.16 with compatibility for the widescreen mod. I will update you guys here if mad god ever decides to take the time to fix it.

FYI, I am not a computer programmer, just a gamer. My background is in hardware, not software.

K, thank you for the .75 update :)

Lastly, I play the game at 1080p and for me the widescreen mod makes all the difference.

Last edited:

paxton676

Novice
My previous post was based on the .7 enhancement. I haven't tested with the .75. For all I know it uses an even newer version of cosmic forge and utilizes more of its features. The 3.78 cfagent.dll might really be limiting enhancement mod features.

I really want to get widescreen mod and enhancement mod working 100% but all I can do is beg since I am not a computer programmer.

Last edited:

paxton676

Novice
For the Enhancement Mod, Widescreen Mod conflict,

This is what I figured out but need a programmer to help figure it out from here.

1.) All exe files work with cfagent.dll
2.) All exe files work with srVP_Wiz8Extender.dll
3.) No exe files work with cfagent.dll + srVP_Wiz8Extender.dll
4.) All exe files work with 3.78 cfagent.dll + srVP_Wiz8Extender.dll

Lastly, the cfagent log isn't reporting the crash, ALWAYS the same under any condition(crash, no crash. different exe) it doesn't matter.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Exactly, it's a compiled .bat, as I like to play around with icons. Also thanks to this I could make the gamedir easier to navigate in the latest version. But the size alone reveals its nature easily.

What the batch does is:
Code:
CFInjector.exe "Wiz8_v1261.exe" "Wiz8_v1261.exe"

And the debug one:
Code:
pause
just to let you read the injector's message before the cmd prompt closes

And I'm pretty sure the CF inluded with v0.75 is version 4.15. Couldn't change Ninja exp rate otherwise.

CFInjector + your extender .dll, that's pretty much 2 injectors at once, right? I can imagine quite a mess this way.

Since 2D graphics still get inevitably stretched, I won't go out of my way to support widescren. Using so old version of CF would mean rolling back several important rebalances. And after all, 2D art is still the major part of my mod, and will remain for some time. Even my newer environment is built to be imported using recent CF builds. And older CF is really the only thing I can figure out, I'm a mere user of mad god's coding miracles. :)

Hopefully mad god will bring some light into this. I like the idea of integration of your patch into CF.

Edit: I'd still suggest 4:3 or 5:4, but for those who just can't stand the sight, why not...

paxton676

Novice
Exactly, it's a compiled .bat, as I like to play around with icons. Also thanks to this I could make the gamedir easier to navigate in the latest version. But the size alone reveals its nature easily.

What the batch does is:
Code:

And the debug one:
Code:
pause

And I'm pretty sure the CF inluded with v0.75 is version 4.15. Couldn't change Ninja exp rate otherwise.

CFInjector + your extender .dll, that's pretty much 2 injectors at once, right? I can imagine quite a mess this way.

Since 2D graphics still get inevitably stretched, I won't go out of my way to support widescren. Using so old version of CF would mean rolling back several important rebalances. And after all, 2D art is still the major part of my mod, and will remain for some time. Even my newer environment is built to be imported using recent CF builds. And older CF is really the only thing I can figure out, I'm a mere user of mad god's coding miracles. :)

Hopefully mad god will bring some light into this. I like the idea of integration of your patch into CF.

Edit: I'd still suggest 4:3 or 5:4, but for those who just can't stand the sight, why not...

Thank you for the reply :)

I don't know if mad god is going to do anything. He did respond once asking for more information about the crash but I haven't heard back since. It could just be because of the holidays. I don't mind the 2d stretching as I play in this http://i.imgur.com/taWmt7G.jpg view mode and it is hardly noticable. I prefer the widescreen 3d world so I am willing to make that small sacrifice. Also, I still enjoy your 2D work and this mod over original wizardry. However, I like the widescreen mod so much that I prefer playing without mods to enjoy widescreen. My monitor is my 65" plasma TV.

If he does ever fix it with cosmic forge, that be the best solution because then all mods will work, not just the enhancement mod. I see that white wolf mod is still being updated and looks to be huge now, but is using latest cosmic forge and utilizing the lua support. I would like to play it in widescreen too.

Do you ever talk to mad god? He doesn't know me at all. Also, if only one person request the fix he is probably less likely to put effort into it. The best thing would be to get all the modders that use cosmic forge to request a fix. We need someone active in the modding community to spread the word.

Last edited:

paxton676

Novice

What the batch does is:
Code:

And the debug one:
Code:
pause

Thank you for the reply :)

I don't know if mad god is going to do anything. He did respond once asking for more information about the crash but I haven't heard back since. It could just be because of the holidays. I don't mind the 2d stretching as I play in this http://i.imgur.com/taWmt7G.jpg view mode and it is hardly noticable. I prefer the widescreen 3d world so I am willing to make that small sacrifice. Also, I still enjoy your 2D work and this mod over original wizardry. However, I like the widescreen mod so much that I prefer playing without mods to enjoy widescreen. My monitor is my 65" plasma TV.

If he does ever fix it with cosmic forge, that be the best solution because then all mods will work, not just the enhancement mod. I see that white wolf mod is still being updated and looks to be huge now, but is using latest cosmic forge and utilizing the lua support. I would like to play it in widescreen too.

Do you ever talk to mad god? He doesn't know me at all. Also, if only one person request the fix he is probably less likely to put effort into it. The best thing would be to get all the modders that use cosmic forge to request a fix. We need someone active in the modding community to spread the word.

Its fixed. The widescreen modder made it compatible with cosmic forge. He verified working with version .75 of this mod. see post #66-67 on steam. I guess all my begging paid off :)

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Good ending, and rather quick!
If he manages to fix the UI stretching, I'll ask him for permission to include the widescreen mod in my mod. This shit is essential for any "unofficial patch" grade thing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'll settle with the non-stretched 3D, I can live with the stretched UI.

Time to unearth those old Wiz8 CDs !

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Could someone post a screenshot of my UI / inventory in widescreen? I'd like to be sure that it isn't broken or plain bad looking.

paxton676

Novice
Could someone post a screenshot of my UI / inventory in widescreen? I'd like to be sure that it isn't broken or plain bad looking.

The widescreen mod doesn't touch the 2D part of the game so it is all normal.

There are some weapons that don't fit right on the character but that is just an issue with enhanced mod. I confirmed without using widescreen mod.

I noticed several spears that fit off center , or invisible, or display a white box when equipped. The dread spear, Beca de corbin(maybe not a spear), and spear of death are the ones that displays a white box on equipping. Mystic and Burning spears are off center, to the right. The Spiked spear is invisible. Valkyrie is the character.

These weapons look like vanilla wizardry, I think? You haven't made alternate pictures for these? Maybe that is a clue as to why they are broken?

Last edited:

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Bloody hell! Just noticed a test version of loot database slipped in. Fixed version is uploading to replace the 0.75 download in the OP. Just extract it and overwrite.
It has also fixed images and image coords for the mentioned items and a few more.

paxton676

Novice
Bloody hell! Just noticed a test version of loot database slipped in. Fixed version is uploading to replace the 0.75 download in the OP. Just extract it and overwrite.
It has also fixed images and image coords for the mentioned items and a few more.

Thank you. I installed and confirmed fixed for me. :)

Registering in these forums has really payed off. My Wizardry 8 experience just gets better all the time.

paxton676

Novice
Will this ever be compatible with the GOG version? No, I am not trying to market plant this but it's nice knowing about useful mods :)

(That and I don't have my original CDs :oops: )

That is strange. I am using mod on steam version, works fine.

I bought wiz 8 when it released back in 2001 so I still have the disks. So much easier to just have it on steam so I bought it again. :)

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Will this ever be compatible with the GOG version?

Just tried and the GoG version seems to work fine. And its data structure is identical to fully installed and patched game from original CDs.
What problems are you having with it?

And does anyone still play using original CDs? Quite a hazard with such a relic. Wish I had preserved mine.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Will this ever be compatible with the GOG version?

Just tried and the GoG version seems to work fine. And its data structure is identical to fully installed and patched game from original CDs.
What problems are you having with it?

And does anyone still play using original CDs? Quite a hazard with such a relic. Wish I had preserved mine.

Oh no problems :) Just wanted to check if it was compatible is all :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom