Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Lukifell

Educated
I'm doing some work changing spell effects/sounds. I can post screens later if you want to use them in this mod. Changes so far:

Hypnotic Lure looks/sounds way way better, swirling rainbow effect + unused slow sound
Psionic Fire now has blue flames
Shrill Sound now uses glowing transparent green-blue rings + Screaming Head sound effect
Make Wounds looks/sounds like the "cowers before the Gods" Prayer effect
Terror's sound effect into an unused Death Wish sound
Insanity changed from that silly clown picture/laugh
Wish there was a way we could make Slow not actually affect animations...

Any requests?

Lukifell

Educated
Also, everyone says casters are bad. What about giving all casters 2 schools? So Psionic = Psionics/Wizardry, Mage =Wizardry/Alchemy, Alchemist = Alchemy/Divinity, Priest = Divinity/Psionics, Bishop = Wizardry/Divinity. This would give all casters a much wider range of spells yet still give each class a unique flavor. Bishop would still be one of the strongest casters with access to all relevant buffs, fulll healing and damage. Also, you could reduce the hybrid classes caster penalty from -4 to -2 since they only have access to a single school. this would put all classes more in line with Fighter/Rogue which are god-tier at the moment

You could also have each caster class have a magic element as their bonus skill. Mage = Fire. Alchemist = Earth. Psionic = Mental. Priest = Water? Bishop = Divine? This would further contribute to all casters having their own unique flavor, increase the overall relevance of pure casters late game and increase their power overall, and slightly nerf Bishop which right now is too weak early game and too OP if grinded (which is lame anyway).

TigerKnee

Arcane
When I was screwing around with my own mod for this game, that was actually one of the changes I made for the pure caster classes. What can I say... it's like how I usually play Bishops, except with better class features.

I wouldn't recommend it for this mod though, because I was intentionally trying to rip everything apart and build new class archetypes in the original Wiz 8 classes place when I was doing my stuff. This mod is trying to make an "improved version of Wiz 8 that still feels very true to the original design concepts", so double spell school caster classes may be too much of an upheaval.

townltu

Novice
many of the suggestions made, and also the evaluations of professions or races strength/weaknesses,
appear to be based on personal playstile/utilization of the available combinations,
and most will have negative impact on players with other playstiles/preferences.

"drunken Umps at Helis"
Nice idea, thanks, hope i will have some free NPC slots and time to add something like that.

"headaching Lure anim"
i use the lure "by default" before initiating combat (and stepping out of cover)
and agree 100% regarding the sound, already changed that here "some" time ago,
the visual anim imo must be visible on the map,
as it offers some nice tactical options (let me know if i have to explain to you:p)

Izuela

Literate
Something odd is going on with the stun rod. It might be draining the wielders stamina.

Harakiri23

Barely Literate
Not sure if right thread, so sorry for hijacking =) but on the steam forums only 2 people were interested. Im working on a widescreen patch since the game supports higher resolutions but stretches everything from 4:3.

This is the normal 4:3 aspect:

http://i.imgur.com/tK1VIjc.jpg

This happends when you play in a 16:10 resolution, its stretched:

http://i.imgur.com/jX1pDWV.jpg

Anyway, i took a deeper look into the binary and its graphic engine and i might have stumbled on the right thing:

http://i.imgur.com/taWmt7G.jpg

Here is a video sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVE2RqH2JE

- the full party view still contains the 4:3 so you easily see the difference.

WaltC333

Novice
Not sure if right thread, so sorry for hijacking =) but on the steam forums only 2 people were interested. Im working on a widescreen patch since the game supports higher resolutions but stretches everything from 4:3.

This is the normal 4:3 aspect:

http://i.imgur.com/tK1VIjc.jpg

This happends when you play in a 16:10 resolution, its stretched:

http://i.imgur.com/jX1pDWV.jpg

Anyway, i took a deeper look into the binary and its graphic engine and i might have stumbled on the right thing:

http://i.imgur.com/taWmt7G.jpg

Here is a video sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVE2RqH2JE

- the full party view still contains the 4:3 so you easily see the difference.

Sounds good--I run the game at 1920x1200 (scaled of course but full screen) and really honestly hadn't noticed. I suppose you could run the game at 19x12 and maintain the original aspect ratio for the same 4:3 effect, right? You'd have empty space to the left and right edges, but the effect should be what you're looking for. Or, am I way off here...?....;)

Harakiri23

Barely Literate
No, you dont have any empty space - just compare the screenshots or see the video - you actually see more from the 3D world (wider horizontal FOV). Just imagine an NPC standing on the far right side when using 16:10- not yet in your field of view in 4:3 - but on widescreen visible since you have a wider field of view.

Here an overlay in the center is your 4:3 aspect
http://i.imgur.com/Ay7XqRP.jpg

16:10

http://i.imgur.com/UoPaq5E.jpg

Last edited:

Izuela

Literate
Is the x-ray chip in Arnika gone, or just moved? In my game it was replaced with a PTorch. Hoping that the original PTorch was replaced by a chip, I went to the umpani caves and looked, but no. I now have TWO PTorches, but no x-ray chip.

Izuela

Literate
Nevermind. Found the chip hidden inside a box. Guess that just leaves me with an extra PTorch :p

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
That was a mistake on my part. You are lucky you found the random one in the box.

I meant to swap pTorch and X-Ray Chip, but placed two pTorches instead. Fixing.
Might as well remove the random one then.

Izuela

Literate
That was a mistake on my part. You are lucky you found the random one in the box.

I meant to swap pTorch and X-Ray Chip, but placed two pTorches instead. Fixing.
Might as well remove the random one then.
I found the chip inside a wooden box filled with rocket ammo. Didn't seem random.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
You're right, I put it in the box as a fixed drop. So the only thing to fix is remove the spare pTorch.

At first I had the X-Ray Chip in the Gigas Power Station I liked it thematically, but decided against it as it was accessible a little too late. Or is it?

WaltC333

Novice
No, you dont have any empty space - just compare the screenshots or see the video - you actually see more from the 3D world (wider horizontal FOV). Just imagine an NPC standing on the far right side when using 16:10- not yet in your field of view in 4:3 - but on widescreen visible since you have a wider field of view.

Here an overlay in the center is your 4:3 aspect
http://i.imgur.com/Ay7XqRP.jpg

16:10

http://i.imgur.com/UoPaq5E.jpg

OK, yes, thanks, I was looking at the space on either side in the demo video you did...;) Now I see that's simply an artifact of the resolution you chose for the video. I'm already running @1920x1200, full screen, @16:10. That's why I mentioned aspect ratio, etc.

Izuela

Literate
Locket of Reflection is still female only in my game. Is the change in the next update, or something?

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Some progress on new areas, started modelling again and here are some WIP images. The lighting is very provisional and things are likely to change a lot.

Natural cave alcove:
arhfa85imh5gc9a6g.jpg

Grand Square:
youm7s25087eydd6g.jpg

Wiz8 dwarves have to be very advanced, as even in pure fantasy settings they tend to be the most technologically developed. Their signature areas will be metallurgy, geology, paleontology and physics.

Steelyard:
xcp6sq9p5tbyoz06g.jpg

f4ihe730byt2s846g.jpg

Particle accelerator middle part:
sk991rhx4tx5nsa6g.jpg

Particle accelerator block rear view:
5xkhta6rge1j85p6g.jpg

Particle accelerator top part and science lab props:
5k3kb63vuwzz5b56g.jpg

Soon I'll resume work on the base mod as well.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nice, very nice.
Remember not to overdue it in the science tho.
Dwarves might be technologically advanced, but this is Wiz 8 we're talking about.
If the stuff looks too good, it'll stand out as a mod.

Izuela

Literate
Can Vi Dominas pet mace be changed into a spear, or would that alter all those type of maces in the game? It feels so pointless to lug that stupid mace around the whole game. A unique "robotic themed" spear would be cool, with a stamina drain, KO effect and chance of electric(air element) damage. If it can somehow be made to level up along with Vi, like the gadgeteer omni gun, that would be AWESOME!

townltu

Novice
It feels so pointless to lug that stupid mace around the whole game. ...
Assure that Vi and another PC have an empty slot in their personal inventory,
and that the PC also has at least 2 instances of an item in a stack in his invebtory.
Take the mace from Vi and drop it with [rmb] (=right mouse button) on the portrait of that PC,
switch to that PC with [lmb] on his portrait, take a single item from the stack with [shift]+[lmb],
with item from stack at corsor [lmb] on Vi's portrait to enter her inventory and place the item from stack.

DraQ

Arcane
I wonder - would it be possible to give weapons minimum range as well as maximum range?
It would be interesting to have to give your valk an axe or mace for close combat tanking in addition to spear, or to make bows unusable point-blank.

More wishes!
I would like LURE animation and sounds to be changed into something more pleasant. As it is now it's rather headache inducing.
It's meant to be. :smug:

Something silly... An Ornamental Codpiece! One of those big exaggerated things that look like they can poke someones eye out, covered with jewels. Goes in misc slot. Male only, all races. Wish there was a way to make just fairies wear it as a hat, instead (I can just imagine the party going "that's... interesting, while the fairy goes "oooh, nice hat!"). Usable by fighter, lord, bard and thief. The only classes I imagine shallow enough to wear it. Have it give a +1 stamina regen, 1 ac and all elemental resistance bonus. Bonus to communication (it's a conversation starter!). But also a small negative intelligence and piety effect, because it's a vain and silly thing to wear. For added hilarity make it cursed and add this in the description "Is this a codpiece or a chastity belt?". Put it in a chest behind the wheel key door in the monastery. A cursed codpiece sounds like just the thing you would need when facing Al-Sedexus.
I like it.

Way to make it also a hat for faeries? Just let it be converted into a faerie only hat by adding spider silk strap (the same way you make rope to repair that bridge in Trynton).
Solv'd.

Jester hat. A Bard, thief and monk head piece. Suggested stats, 2 ac, 5 int, 10 music and 10 stealth. All races. If adding music skill to items that other classes can wear messes things up, make it bard only, up the ac and drop the stealth.
It doesn't mess anything up but I'd still make it Bard only. With stealth still in.

Cattle Prod. Engineer weapon made by combining a short staff with electrodes. Melee weapon that uses modern weapon skill, if that is possible. If not, keep it as a staff&wand and make it usable by all classes. Keep the base stats the same as short staff and add 20% stamina drain, 10% KO and 1% kill chance.

I'm in favor of making all sorts of stuff for supporting unorthodox builds - electrified, gadgeteer-only rapier (lightning rod + appropriate weapon) for unorthodox melee gadgeteer, small enchanted bow (faerie only, can spawn magic arrows, but works better when you do supply ammo), electric fan in monastery that can be converted into a hover harness allowing a faerie gadgeteer to carry equipment and ammo, etc.

Vi Dominas pet mace
The problem with it is that Vi's model wields mace in combat.

Maybe give here disruptor mace to introduce dilemma between using spears she'll be better with in long term and giving her a pretty powerful mace early on, but forcing suboptimal development?

Last edited:

Izuela

Literate
Nice solution to the fairy codpiece hat. So obvious, duh.

As far as Vi's pet weapon goes, I guess changing it to some kind of a modern weapon laser blaster (batteries included) would be another option. But I like the idea of giving her a unique upgradable spear more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom