Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave I've got a question. Do skill choices also have a minor effect on the storyline?

Say if we had picked trap skills near the beginning, would we have ran into more situations where we could have potentially made use of it? I'd really like to spread the skillset some more, but so far we mostely ran into problems Jing would try to solve by force or trickery. Is it because that's Jings nature, or because of the skill choices?

Partially, yes, but there have been situations where a respectable traps skill would have given you more options too.

But treave also said it won't work if our enemy is too powerful or we are too weak, it might be worthwhile to have more mundane tools (sword/spear) for situations where we can not easily suck qi out of our enemies. At the very least we can use weapons to wear them down and then move in to drain them. Also I wonder if it would be possible to channel the effect through our weapon given practice, if some warriors can channel their qi into their weapons perhaps we can learn to draw the qi of others out through ours.

For now you'd have to physically contact their weapons with your body to draw the qi, yes. Part of the full training curriculum Yang Xue would have offered taught you to use your weapon or spider silk to absorb energy. On your own that's going to take a lot more time to figure out.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I read the section you linked to, Nevill but I don't see what you were talking about. We jumped on a sword and grabbed at her while she was attempting to draw our sword from its hilt, neither seems like it really fits what you were saying.
This is what I am talking about:
A. You utilize the Shouwang Claws. Instead of using your fingers to rend flesh, you will use it to grasp weapons and wrest them from the enemy. You would have to devise a new form of movement to intercept the Qingcheng Stab successfully, but as the weapon is blunted at least you won’t be losing your fingers if you fail.
We never attempted it, but I believe it was a winning choice.

SirArvedeth

Novice
Tribute said:
On the other other hand, that whole "take responsibility" part might lock us into one-wife route.
Two-wives route.
Are we really that keen on harem ending? I mean, Qilin as a character is quite awesome, and, well, she is an heiress to one of the biggest sects, so it should be fine to go for Qilin's route (or at least some coitus with her). That being considered, I'm fine with pregnancy being a risk while going for some banging.

Tribute

Arbiter
Are we really that keen on harem ending?
Me personally? I don't really care either way, but enough people have been gunning for harem ending for the entire quest that I'm going to assume it's a goal we're working towards.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Flopping to.

A.
IV
V
A

Mastering kick techinique will serve us well in near future., if we didn't have to worry about zhangs challenge then I would have sticked with spear. Same thing with skill choices, because for now we must optimaze our combat strenght.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Elfberserker said:
Same thing with skill choices, because for now we must optimaze our combat strenght.
That would be V, unarmed. Both II and IV qualify as supporting skills for our primary, though, so this choice is less clear-cut.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
We never attempted it, but I believe it was a winning choice.

I don't remember anyone saying we would win with it (though I don't doubt that something saying that might be in there somewhere) but I don't think that it'll be time to start practicing when we go up against actual sharpened blades. Many of those folks are blindingly fast with their techniques, I think it's more efficient to try to match them in sword skill through improving it rather than introducing sword catching silk against real blades as a first test. Silk skills are probably fine used in that capacity, but this doesn't really contribute anything to our offense while being better with the blade works out for both.

Baltika9

Arcane
Where do we stand on the second choice, anyway? Is sword or sleight of hand winning?
As much as I'm butthurt, I'll probably vote on whatever has better synergy with our techniques. If we're going for 1B, I'd rather we pick up swords for a full military arsenal of unarmed, swords and spears. If we're going for 1A, I'd rather go down the trickery fighter with shortswords+unarmed and webbing+sleight of hand (5 points is nothing to sneeze at) so we can entrap our enemies and make our devastating techniques harder to doge. I'm thinking specifically of Yunzi and BJ here, I doubt those puny things would work on Guo Fu, we'll need to armor up to be ready for him.

treave, about how many skill points would we get from 1B? I know you said it'd be a "hefty bonus," but that's rather vague.
Tribute said:
Let alone getting Qilin pregnant down here.
You think we'll be spending nine more months here? Why does it make a difference where we make anyone pregnant?

Tribute said:
I imagine the question is whether or not we can perfect the spear tech later, after we get out of here.
Not before the challenge timer is up, I am afraid. We really should be thinking in terms of half a year we have left.

Tribute said:
On the other other hand, that whole "take responsibility" part might lock us into one-wife route.
Two-wives route. At the very least.
“Well then, good. Anyway, I am not averse to sharing, you know. I don’t mind being second or even third.”
Besides you, you hear Cao’er murmur quietly, slightly sulkily, “…Jing is a lecher… but it’s okay. I don’t mind being second… or third.”
Hopefully she understands that Jing isn't the sharing type.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's kinda meh. Really meh right now, it would be good if we weren't on a timetable of six months.

Anabanana

Augur
I might be remembering wrongly, but I think Yunzi wouldn't be pleased that we're sleeping around? I know that Qilin and Cao'er are fine with it, though.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm thinking specifically of Yunzi and BJ here

How do you think we'll get to the point of binding him with silk? He's too fast, he'd just carve us up with his sword before we get near him. Yunzi can eventually just burn up the web, anyway.

Kayerts

Arcane
Diversifying our skillset to spears and becoming The Amazing Unorthodox Weapons Master sounds cool. I like the idea of Jing being this nutcase who throws an array of bullshit techniques at his opponents, hoping that they can't defend against spears, swords, hands, feet, AND silk. However, while this seems like it'd be flashy against mid-level enemies, higher-level wuxia opponents like BJ or the Firebro seem like they'd learn counters to most low-level techniques, and would only be at risk from master-level enemies. Also, the skill cap imposed by our missing eye makes spears something of a dead end.

Also, it doesn't really make sense given that we already have an artifact sword and an iron dick and tricks with silk. Even focusing on those, we still don't have enough skill points to go around. Also also, do you really think we're going to find our way out of this pit while lugging around two swords and a spear? Seems like a lot.

1 A
2 V, IV but will flop to II
3 B

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's kinda meh. Really meh right now, it would be good if we weren't on a timetable of six months.

The technique could be powerful enough that even with a rather mediocre level you can bust a hole in other people with less than supreme thrusting power. :troll:

But I make no promises.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm thinking specifically of Yunzi and BJ here

How do you think we'll get to the point of binding him with silk? He's too fast, he'd just carve us up with his sword before we get near him. Yunzi can eventually just burn up the web, anyway.
All we need is one second, one tiny moment of hesitation, one stumble...and they're completely and utterly fucked. With the power we put into our hits, all we need is one good shot to injure them.
Spear skill will go up by 3 in one shot.
Yeah, not the best option right now, even if it is the technique that made all of his enemies tremble. We have six months to accomplish Zhang Jue's challenge so we need some heavy hitters now. Would it be possible to come here with him later, on a pilgrimage of sorts? I'm sure LORD Zhang would be thrilled to meet Yang Xue.

Anyway, flopped my original post. Going for kicks+sleight of hand+unarmed.

Kipeci

Arcane
All we need is one second, one tiny moment of hesitation, one stumble...and they're completely and utterly fucked. With the power we put into our hits, all we need is one good shot to injure them.
Uh, what? Is this in reference to the silk or something else? I don't care if you're talking about spear moves, I'm saying that there's no way you're going to be able to tie BJ up. Even if we managed it, we'd have to kill him in the following entrapment to be sure that he wouldn't call for a rematch and force us to fight him without the use of silk in such a manner. Against BJ, I think it's absolutely necessary to devote our all to both unarmed and sword moves.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yes, that's in reference to our spider silk. We don't need to tie BJ up completely, all we need is to impair his mobility and funnel him into a position we want him to be in, and that's it. He can bitch and moan all he wants when he loses, he wills till have lost. We're unorthodox, we are not obliged to fight with Orthodox HONOR or some such nonsense. We just need to kick his ass so completely that there is no question on who is the better fighter.

The technique could be powerful enough that even with a rather mediocre level you can bust a hole in other people with less than supreme thrusting power. :troll:

But I make no promises.
Since this is the "Undefeated Manly Conqueror's Spear" that never was defeated and made the whole nation tremble in fear of him then, yeah, this is the best shit there is for spears. Problem is, at level 3, I don't think someone of BJ's or Yunzi's caliber will be broken by our mediocre technique. If it were at level four or five, yeah, maybe. As it stands right now, we'll just have to entice LORD Zhang to come with us here on another training trip after this year is through. Hopefully nothing happens in the next update that kills the old man or destroys his cave paintings.

I'll be so very butthurt if we'll never get the chance to learn this technique again. The Frathouses's reaction would be priceless.
"Hey, Wang, is that the-"
"Yep."
"From the-"
"Yep."
"...we owe him some answers, don't we?"
"Yeeep."

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*sigh* I really think you guys need to consider picking a specialty here. We need more than a technique here. We need a skill at or near mastery if we are going to compete with guys like Gao or BJ. BJ has mastery with the sword. Competing with him or a fighter on his level with one technique - albeit one awesome technique - and a low level of skill just isn't going to work out. We've been focusing on unarmed and swords this whole time. Now we've even added the silk to the mix. Let's not fuck ourselves over by being a jack of all trades where weapons are concerned.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WalkingArmory
Dissidia_Frioniel_Walking_Armory__8793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
Hey, treave, would you mind putting the most recent with the others on the first page when you get some time to do so? The update's on page 445.

Anyway, vote tally! If you don't see yours or I have it down wrong, just tell me.

Baltika9 - A II V A
Kipeci - A IV V A
Lambchop 19 - A I II A
Anabanana - A II V A
TOME - A I V A
Esquilax - A IV V A
Fangshi - B II IV>V B
GreyViper - B I II A
Azira - B III V A
Elfberserker - A IV V A
asxetos - A IV V A
ERYFKRAD - X(Intended to be a C?) II IV/V (maybe IV>V?) B
profreshional - A II V A
Rex Feral - B IV V A
RealDDc - I think voted for 2A? I don't know exactly how to interpret 2B -> 2A with the context.
Zero Credibility - C>A II IV>V A
ScubaV - A II V A
SirArvedeth - A II V A
Kashmir Slippers - B I IV A
Kayerts - A V (Currently IV but will possibly flop to II I think) B
Ganymede - B II V A

Initial voting:

12 A - 6 B - 2C
14(V) - 10(IV) - 11(II) - 4(I) - 1(III)
18 A - 3 B

I'm not putting up a post flop tally because I'm not exactly sure where some of the flops would go. For example, there's Fangshi's one. Do I flop that IV vote to a V vote so that II will make it in solidly, or do I leave it in to allow for more of a hope for IV? This stuff's confusing.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
We don't need to tie BJ up completely, all we need is to impair his mobility and funnel him into a position we want him to be in, and that's it. He can bitch and moan all he wants when he loses, he wills till have lost. We're unorthodox, we are not obliged to fight with Orthodox HONOR or some such nonsense. We just need to kick his ass so completely that there is no question on who is the better fighter.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's trivially easy to beat up a fighter who's been bound, if your entire strategy is to tie him up so that he can't fight then it raises some pretty big questions about whether or not he would really be the better fighter, and you know that he'd be willing to capitalize on it. It's not a matter of honor, it's just that if we're trying to prove ourselves the strongest, tying up others so that they can't use their strength against us doesn't show anything. That's provided that we even get close enough to launch such a "strategy"-- if your II option wins out, he'll be a vastly superior swordsman and can simply carve us up from sword range since we certainly won't have the skill with swords to properly defend from that. It won't be easy even if we get the sword upgrade, but 'slightly better than the average swordsman' is not going to cut it against Bai Juitian.

Also, this doesn't change that Yunzi could potentially just burn up the silk.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Being able to grab a sword out of someone's hand with the silk at a crucial moment is pretty advantageous. Same with traps and tying people up. We passed 1 point of agility + nearly mastering stealth for this shit. We'd better get something for our trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
We're not going to match BJ in a swordsmanship contest, no fucking way. It's our unarmed that will win the day, as well as our neiggong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom