Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
Being able to grab a sword out of someone's hand with the silk at a crucial moment is pretty advantageous. Same with traps and tying people up. We wasted 2 points of agility + nearly mastering stealth on this shit. We'd better get something for our trouble.
We did, or did you miss saving Gao Ying's life and being able to pull off the floating emperor thing? But when we're going into combat, it's going to be better to rely on combat moves. If there's even the slightest mishap or error when trying to take a sword right from someone's hands, we're sliced. I'm less willing to trust 4 sleight of hand (you know, mediocre) and fancy web skills for stealing the sword out of a highly trained swordsman's hands than I am to trust 6 sword in countering that, and the 6 sword skill could actually be used to attack, unlike silk. We can develop silk later, but the challenges are happening right after this.

We're not going to match BJ in a swordsmanship contest, no fucking way. It's our unarmed that will win the day, as well as our neiggong.
Absolutely, but we need to survive until the point at which he can be disarmed or we can talk him into using his fists. Somewhat better than the average sword weilder will mean that we get disarmed and sliced to ribbons in minutes, having a better sword skill will prolong our existence.

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, we're at sleight of hand 1 right now. If II wins, we'll be at level 5, which is pretty good.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Being able to grab a sword out of someone's hand with the silk at a crucial moment is pretty advantageous. Same with traps and tying people up. We wasted 2 points of agility + nearly mastering stealth on this shit. We'd better get something for our trouble.
We did, or did you miss saving Gao Ying's life and being able to pull off the floating emperor thing?
2 agility points for that? I don't think so. We can get more.
But when we're going into combat, it's going to be better to rely on combat moves.
Combat moves like ripping off someone's sash? Man Tiger Pig is as much a fighter as he is a trickster and out thinking our opponents and surprising them has saved our asses time and again.

Besides, I'd hardly call disarming or restraining an opponent a non-combat move - and wrap the silk around someone's neck and garote them and then tell me more about how it's non-combat.

Kipeci

Arcane
5 is as good as our sword skill, which means it's still crap with these experienced pugilists. You think BJ won't be able to keep a hand on his sword? I can't believe that the Tiger Adjutant character with the best aptitude out of any of the characters we could have picked for using the sword will be forgoing actually bothering to use it in favor of flashy silk tricks and robbing people. Fucking silk.

Fucking silk.
Hey, I wish we had picked agility too, but we had to make the emperor float and save Gao Ying. :roll:

Point is, we've got it, so let's make the best of it. It can be an awesome addition to our arsenal or it can be a total waste. Adding a slight bonus to our sword skill isn't going to mean we can take on Bai and it isn't worth lossing out on the plethora of options increasing sleight of hand or traps could offer.

Esquilax

Arcane
5 is as good as our sword skill, which means it's still crap with these experienced pugilists. You think BJ won't be able to keep a hand on his sword? I can't believe that the Tiger Adjutant character with the best aptitude out of any of the characters we could have picked for using the sword will be forgoing actually bothering to use it in favor of flashy silk tricks and robbing people. Fucking silk.

Not really, a guy like BJ probably isn't accustomed to the sort of trickery and sleight-of-hand in these sort of techniques. And come on dude, we won't be taking his sword from his fucking hand, that's a terrible idea. We'd probably do something along the lines of distracting him with a lot of quick, flashy movement then firing out the spider silk before he can properly react.

Btw, I fucked up in my vote, I had meant that I wanted IV V (Swords, Unarmed) for the upgrade, not Thrown Weapons. You can change the tally accordingly.

Point is, we've got it, so let's make the best of it. It can be an awesome addition to our arsenal or it can be a total waste. Adding a slight bonus to our sword skill isn't going to mean we can take on Bai and it isn't worth lossing out on the plethora of options increase sleight of hand or traps could offer.

There's lots of types of qinggong out there, some of which are way better than what the Wudu Cult has to offer. I see the spider silk having a lot of opportunity, should we develop it accordingly. The +1 AGI was nice, but I just wasn't wowed by the +1 Stealth that it had, especially considering we got Kagemi.

Anabanana

Augur
Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty used to seeing silk/thread-like moves being used in legit combat situations. Xiaolongnu from Return of the Condor Heroes, Kazuki from Getbackers, Machi from HunterXHunter... it's pretty much similar to having a whip as a weapon. It'll probably be considered unorthodox simply because WUDU CULT but I still think it should be a legit combat technique.

And yeah, I would estimate Bai to be at about a 7 or 8 in swords, and 6 probably isn't going to help that much more compared to 5, but if we can get our silk up to a decent level, we can probably get an advantage on him that we wouldn't have with swords, especially with our lack of sword techniques.

We should cultivate our strengths where our opponent is weak, not attempt to match our opponent's strengths with average skill.

Kipeci

Arcane
2 agility points for that? I don't think so. We can get more.

We do have more, since we already have the ability to use silk in the way you described later in the post. It'll almost certainly come up later in the years that Jing should have left barring retarded Codex decisions that lead to his skull being ripped off by Zhang Jue or getting eaten by Yang Xue in the next update. Why is there a rush to pick up all the silk tricks possible right now, right before we're about to fight the best young pugilists that China has to offer?

Combat moves like ripping off someone's sash? Man Tiger Pig is as much a fighter as he is a trickster and out thinking our opponents and surprising them has saved our asses time and again.

Those trickster moves managed to win us the tournament by making our foes not want to fight us, but they don't convince anyone that Jing has better kung-fu. Trickster victories are fine in the context of needing to win, but needing to win and also demonstrating that your martial arts are superior means that beating someone by disrobing them or tying them up only adds a rematch with less trickery into our schedule. treave has said that somewhere that we might need to face a lot of our tournament foes again because our trolling wins didn't actually prove superiority over Jing's foes.

Besides, I'd hardly call disarming or restraining an opponent a non-combat move, and wrap the silk around someone's neck and garote them and then tell me more about how it's non-combat.

We can already restrain foes and theoretically do the latter, though I'm not sure if you actually want us to kill our foes in our challenges. As for the former, that's just speculation. I don't recall treave ever mentioning anything about us being able to disarm folks with the stuff with just the sleight of hand upgrade.

Point is, we've got it, so let's make the best of it. It can be an awesome addition to our arsenal or it can be a total waste. Adding a slight bonus to our sword skill isn't going to mean we can take on Bai and it isn't worth lossing out on the plethora of options increase sleight of hand or traps could offer.

We already have fantastic bonuses from it. Are there more? Certainly! But the time to go for them is not right now in lieu of picking up actual combat skill right before we're going to jump into a lot of combat. We'll still have the silk ability after we challenge people, what's with the rush right now?

Not really, a guy like BJ probably isn't accustomed to the sort of trickery and sleight-of-hand in these sort of techniques.

He's fought against hundreds of rogues an experienced foes, just because he abhors the unorthodox does not mean that he's ever fought it. From us in particular, he probably expects some sort've bullshit thing.

And come on dude, we won't be taking his sword from his fucking hand, that's a terrible idea.

That's exactly what I'm saying, but some sleigh-of-hand advocates seem to think that this will be possible.
We'd probably do something along the lines of distracting him with a lot of quick, flashy movement then firing out the spider silk before he can properly react.

Firing it out to do what? It's not sticky spiderman stuff, it's not going to achieve much more of anything than tearing off our sleeve and throwing it into his face would.

Tribute

Arbiter
*sigh* I really think you guys need to consider picking a specialty here. We need more than a technique here. We need a skill at or near mastery if we are going to compete with guys like Gao or BJ. BJ has mastery with the sword. Competing with him or a fighter on his level with one technique - albeit one awesome technique - and a low level of skill just isn't going to work out. We've been focusing on unarmed and swords this whole time. Now we've even added the silk to the mix. Let's not fuck ourselves over by being a jack of all trades where weapons are concerned.
That's specifically why I was asking whether "swapping out weapons several times during a fight" is a valid fighting style to compensate for not having godly skill in any one of them. Throwing your opponent off and then capitalizing on that moment of surprise is a very unorthodox style of winning, especially given that "they have better actual skills and techniques" has always been the advantage of being orthodox.

If it's not something that would actually fly then no we shouldn't go for the spear tech even if it is the best spear tech ever, but I don't think anyone but treave can confirm here.

Kipeci

Arcane
it's pretty much similar to having a whip as a weapon
Not without having some sort of crazy technique, it's not. Sleight of hand doesn't make silk a whip. Maybe if we had silk qi going on, but we don't. Alas.

And yeah, I would estimate Bai to be at about a 7 or 8 in swords, and 6 probably isn't going to help that much more compared to 5, but if we can get our silk up to a decent level, we can probably get an advantage on him that we wouldn't have with swords, especially with our lack of sword techniques.
We'd be slaughtered with 5, 6 is still below his level but enough to present something of a challenge during which time we can get Jing to figure out how to taunt him into switching to unarmed. There's no way to do that if we're not good enough at swords to survive against him for a while, and having silk isn't going to make his sword techniques magically worthless. Tell me, where would your advantage come from? I keep hearing that we can 'use silk' against him, but everyone's awfully vague about it.

Tribute

Arbiter
It's as strong as steel. Ensnare his sword arm. Ensnare his weapon. Ensnare his other arm and keep it in front of his weapon.

I keep hearing that we can 'use silk' against him, but everyone's awfully vague about it.
Tying up his legs to trip and/or distract him for example. And arrogant as he is, I do think we could yank the sword from his hands if our sleight of hand is high enough and he didn't know about the silk beforehand.
It's as strong as steel. Ensnare his sword arm. Ensnare his weapon. Ensnare his other arm and keep it in front of his weapon.
Pretty much. Bai may be good great with a sword, but he's still human and any human can be disarmed - especially if caught off-guard. Heck, even grabbing onto the sword could be enough even if we can't fully pull it from his hands.

Absinthe

Arcane
B>A
II>III>V
(So II and III at first, but if either of those choices are eliminated, then switch that vote to V)
A

We need to learn Throwing. 4 Throwing is a respectable level of skill and Jing is still zero at ranged combat. Also if we get throwing skills, we could learn techniques from Cao'er and turn our shoe-throwing trick into a technique of its own. Learning from Cao'er is also going to score points with her, which we will need after ditching her then sleeping with Qilin without her. Also, treave, please tell me we can make the shoe throwing trick a technique.

I'm not too worried about getting IV or V because if we master the leg technique we should be covered for now. We'll have more opportunities to raise those anyway. Ultimately the challenge does not concern us since we do not represent either side (we're mostly showing up 'cause Yunzi), so we still have the rest of the year for ZJ's challenge.

Last edited:

kazgar

Arcane
Silk techniques are un-zhang bullshit, and possibly wouldn't be allowed in tournament style fighting (which is where we'd probably end up fighting people like BJ anyhow)

It also looks like we're gonna be intertwined (hah!) with the wudu cult who can tell us a lot more about silk related things than we can learn in a cave, there's plenty of more opportunity to learn stealth/sneak/rogue kinda stuff from them, especially when we've got the clan heir pregnant.

B

IV, V

B

Jester

Arbiter
A - first tech to fully master. Spear is most powerful, but spreading to thin imo. C possible.
A - i say she got guts i am impressed.
V - must have helping with most of our techs.
IV - sword is our secondary choice and we do have one tech in it for now, we did invest updates in.
I expect that mostly duels will be our biggest concern for now so i prepare accordingly.

By the way, I assume this means if we had taken Cao'er with us this would be a menage-a-trois

I am confirming this.
:rage: indeed.
Well said.:rage:

Kipeci

Arcane
So, your master plan is to stand in front of his as he weilds a sword, while Jing is personally armed with nothing more than a string of silk, and then tie up his arm, his weapon, and his other arm? Just how slow do you think he is? We've be slashed up very badly just trying to ensnare the first arm or the sword, let alone trying to go for all three. This also does nothing to stop him from just pulling his arms back through the silk loops, so he's not even stuck that way if we somehow managed to go through all three. If he's that slow, why not just grab his arms and try to stop him that way? It'd probably work about as well.

Say that Xu Jing does beat BJ with silk by using it to in some way tie him up. I'm not saying 'distraction' like the suggestions about throwing the stuff in his face, tearing off our sleeves for the same purpose would work probably slightly better due to being larger opaque objects and I haven't seen any other distracting moves that we could pull with it aside from tying him up. So we tied him up to some capacity or another and he's lying before us, vanquished. The battle is over, and then he challenges us for a rematch without using the borderline silk to tie him up on grounds that he could beat us if he hadn't been tied up. What could we do? We could try to then win fairly, or else run off and hope that Zhang Jue would make it count.

A victory with silk techniques, if it managed to happen, is not a fundamentally secure one. Trolling has its place, certainly, but it doesn't fit the challenge right now. Any fight that we win with silk if won with sword or fist would be considered much more legitimate.

Pretty much. Bai may be good great with a sword, but he's still human and any human can be disarmed - especially if caught off-guard. Heck, even grabbing onto the sword could be enough even if we can't fully pull it from his hands.

He's faster than us and advancing towards us with the sword to swing. Your response is to attempt to grab the sword from this budding master with an untested technique? What if he sees that we're trying to grab the sword and shifts so that we cut our hand open instead of managing anything, or makes us lose a few fingers?

I strongly recommend learning the Throwing skill. 4 Throwing is a respectable level of skill and Jing is still zero at ranged combat.

4 is described as 'mediocre', not respectable. Furthermore, we don't want Jing engaging in ranged combat, he has a skill that particularly makes him last longer and become stronger during close-quarter combat. Why would we need ranged combat?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tying up your opponent is a legitimate form of martial arts, though not as well looked upon as the more orthodox styles. It's on par with flying daggers and the like in terms of reputation. Also, what's important is how you use it. In a sneak attack in a dark forest? Not so good for rep. In the open, where they can see it coming? Their own fault for not being able to dodge/block/cut it.

As for shoe kicking, perhaps if you do it whenever you can...

Absinthe

Arcane
4 is described as 'mediocre', not respectable. Furthermore, we don't want Jing engaging in ranged combat, he has a skill that particularly makes him last longer and become stronger during close-quarter combat. Why would we need ranged combat?
4 Throwing is still a usable level. This is an "average" level of skill. With Cao'er's help (which she would be happy to give), we can make it much better. Why would we need ranged combat? Because we don't always have the luxury of close combat. Right now if Jing is up against any real ranged combatants, his only options are to take a beating until he closes the distance, gtfo, or hope he's just that amazing at eluding the shit. Even with 4 throwing skill, at the very least we can say "I throw a bunch of stuff at him so he can't aim while I charge his ass" (suppressing fire, y'know?). It gives us important options we're missing.

I'm not saying we should develop throwing skill so that we try to throw stuff at opponents we're better off melee-ing. I'm suggesting we get throwing skill so that we can fight when we're not in position to melee.

Also, I'm not sure why you're worried about fighting Bai Jiutian now. We've still got the year.

As for shoe kicking, perhaps if you do it whenever you can...
We better get started, then. I think this technique has a glorious future awaiting it.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
So, your master plan is to stand in front of his as he weilds a sword, while Jing is personally armed with nothing more than a string of silk, and then tie up his arm, his weapon, and his other arm?
In long term we will develop spider sword techs letting us to capitalise on our sword mastery in ranged combat. At least that is my master plan, but i doubt that 5 thievery will be enough for that so i will concentrate on sword.

A victory with silk techniques, if it managed to happen, is not a fundamentally secure one. Trolling has its place, certainly, but it doesn't fit the challenge right now. Any fight that we win with silk if won with sword or fist would be considered much more legitimate.
Taking into consideration that poison user and serial killer could become great ones i think that usage of throwing weapon would be acceptable. Disliked yes, but valid.
I strongly recommend learning the Throwing skill. 4 Throwing is a respectable level of skill and Jing is still zero at ranged combat.

Emm we got silk for ranged tech and Treave said it is possible to drain through it. Adding something like paralysing pain to neigong could be quite sweet. I would have voted for TS if spider silk would be based on it, but judging from character sheet and lack of points in it thats not the case. Kinda i wonder what is base of it. Sleight-of-Hand or Traps?

Anabanana

Augur
Hmm. 3m is enough for any ranged attacks for now, so we won't need throwing weapons, especially if we get a silk upgrade which might mean bigger range?

Jester

Arbiter
Hmm. 3m is enough for any ranged attacks for now, so we won't need throwing weapons, especially if we get a silk upgrade which might mean bigger range?
There is rumour that on 7 lv you can go swinging Spiderman style with it. On lv 10 you even wont loose fingers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom