Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
By the way, is there a 10 stat check for every stat?

Because if there's not, there should be.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well then this concludes playthru number 2 of 7

the more i play this game, the less sense everything in it makes

likaq

Arcane
remember deadsanta from steam forum?
he is back:

One of the worst "RPG"s I've ever played. Incoherent, muddled and punitive. By that last one, I mean that the game doesn't actually reward you for learning how to play it over time, it just punishes you with failure in each new situation until you figure out the correct sequence to achieve a positive or non-fatal result. So it's an RPG only in the sense that you are free to fail any way you like until you find the one optimal solution that the devs have scripted.

It reminds me of the old arcade game Dragon's Lair, where there were several moves you could make in a scene, but all of them but one lead to a colorful death.

That's not "hardcore"-style, as the devs would have you believe, that's "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style.

http://www.metacritic.com/user/deadsanta

btw:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-age-of-decadence -> user score droped to 81, upvote codex!

hivemind

well then this concludes playthru number 2 of 7

the more i play this game, the less sense everything in it makes
7 playthroughs aren't actually enough to truly enjoy this gem
You also need to get all of the cheevos to be qualified for reviewing it

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
He's wrong because you only need to memorize the "correct sequence" and skill levels if you're trying to play a master of all trades. Yes, the game is heavily scripted which is neither a bonus nor a flaw.

Cadmus

Arcane
He's wrong because you only need to memorize the "correct sequence" and skill levels if you're trying to play a master of all trades. Yes, the game is heavily scripted which is neither a bonus nor a flaw.
It's another skyrim retard who thinks he's being railroaded because he can't do whatever he wants to.
Some people confuse being free to do anything with having lots of valid gameplay options.
I'm free to roll on the floor in my own shit, doesn't make it a worthwhile endeavor.
And he's wrong that AoD is mostly just a script-fest?

Oh, right, no, it's actually a SPESHUL UNIQUE GAEM and NOT EVERYONE WILL GET IT!!!
only retarded idiot edgy shitposters won't get it

valcik

Arcane
deadsanta said:
One of the worst "RPG"s I've ever played. Incoherent, muddled and punitive. By that last one, I mean that the game doesn't actually reward you for learning how to play it over time, it just punishes you with failure in each new situation until you figure out the correct sequence to achieve a positive or non-fatal result.
The Rage of Decadence.
:greatjob:

JoKa

Cipher
Ok, just bought the game on GOG. No idea when I'll be able to sink my teeth into it but wanted to show my support now. :salute:

MrMarbles

Cipher
Ok, just bought the game on GOG. No idea when I'll be able to sink my teeth into it but wanted to show my support now. :salute:

Here's how to go about it:

1. Load up the game.
2. Go in blind and make a hybrid character that you think can handle himself. Get absolutely trashed at the first taste of combat.
3. Make a new character. Skip the first combat. Run around, accept goodies from the very friendly npcs and get wrecked again.
4. Lean back in your chair.
5. Reload. Run around some more. Play it safe. Buy a fucking snack and see your character get absolutely destroyed, again.

:fuuyeah:
Apologies to VD for criticizing his obviously masochistic hardcore tendencies in BG threads. This game nails it and I'm glad I got around to purchasing it:salute:

The game is nowhere that difficult. I don't think that I've ever gotten killed in the first encounter with a combat character.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I've been playing with this game for a good 7-8 hours now, and it is amazing how different it feels than other cRPGs. I'm running with a full talky-talky loremaster, with alchemy and crafting skills, so I'm not doing any fights. It's strange, like I'm playing an adventure game. Talking to people, finding stuff to use on machines, avoiding any confrontation. Also it has one of the best examples of doing skillcheck in games ever. When I fail a persuasion check for example, most of the time the conversations continue and there are other opportunities to pass the checks with different skills, trading, or streetwise etc.

Good stuff so far.

One question: when I see dialogue options which have 2 skills attached to them (persuasion-trading for example). Does that mean that I have to beat a skill check for either of them or I have to beat the combined value for the 2 skills?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I must admit, playing a full combat hammer guy is absolutely hilarious.

I yell IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! each time I enter a fight.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combined value.

Example: a skill check may be [lore] + [crafting] = 16
It may sometimes require a minimum in one or both though. I vaguely recall making an impersonate/streetwise check by increasing impersonate by 1 when increasing streetwise by 2 did not work. Do not know for sure though, could very well be misremembering
(It was for either the abandoned gold village raiders or the guy who took over the house in maadoran).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I must admit, playing a full combat hammer guy is absolutely hilarious.

I yell IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! each time I enter a fight.
Hammer+dodge is beautiful. Beautiful, I tell you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom