Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

Zeriel

Arcane
hey, I tried searching for game manual but there doesn't seem to be any in existence...
So I need to ask here, is there any option that changes the game or combat difficulty? Like easy, normal, hard...?

Pk5tFTg.jpg

Klarion

Arcane

I guess that's a "no".
Well, a LOT of people are complaining about the game being too difficult and also that it scares away the casuals(casual players) so the studio ends up making less coins.

Maybe it wouldn't be bad idea to put combat difficulty level in options... if it wouldn't require too much work.

Zeriel

Arcane
If it was going to be added, it would have been added some time in the last 11 years. They experimented with their version of a difficulty toggle and it didn't work out, it's not going to happen.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
hey, I tried searching for game manual but there doesn't seem to be any in existence..

Press F1 while playing.

So I need to ask here, is there any option that changes the game or combat difficulty? Like easy, normal, hard...?

giphy.gif
Seriously, though, the game's combat is deliberately hard, there is no option to change that. Not sure if you're serious, but if you're really interested, there have been multiple discussions on this, I'll let VD link to the most complete explanation.

Klarion

Arcane
Press F1 while playing.

giphy.gif
Seriously, though, the game's combat is deliberately hard, there is no option to change that. Not sure if you're serious, but if you're really interested, there have been multiple discussions on this, I'll let VD link to the most complete explanation.

Why the laugh?
Fallout 1&2, the main influence on AoD had combat difficulty option, so what's wrong with it?

Yeah, it can still be hard with the combat difficulty option ya know. It just gives option to those who don't like hard combat...

Fallout 1&2, the main influence on AoD had combat difficulty option, so what's wrong with it?

he's right, and not just about difficulty levels. aod was inspired by fallout yet many (perhaps all?) of the characters, locations and features from fallout are not present in game.

Klarion

Arcane
he's right, and not just about difficulty levels. aod was inspired by fallout yet many (perhaps all?) of the characters, locations and features from fallout are not present in game.
I was talking about game system, not about setting or story you brain-dead imbecile. Think it was pretty obvious.

Mozg

Arcane
Eh, you could make a simple easy mode by taking a couple points off all skillchecks and reducing all enemy skill levels the same. I'd probably use it to do the Thieves' Guild questline...

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh, you could make a simple easy mode by taking a couple points off all skillchecks and reducing all enemy skill levels the same. I'd probably use it to do the Thieves' Guild questline...

Cheat commands are there, give yourself extra SPs. Easy mode.

And then you realise the game becomes entirely trivial, which is why it doesn't exist officially.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Why the laugh?

Yeah, it can still be hard with the combat difficulty option ya know. It just gives option to those who don't like hard combat...

Nothing's wrong with the combat difficulty, nothing at all. It's just that AoD's existing combat difficulty is a design decision, AoD's world is harsh and fights are deadly. That's the message we tried to deliver: if you're not prepared, stay out of combat, or there's a great chance you might end up dead. Terminator and hero characters, pwners of everything do not belong to AoD setting, so easy mode is out. As Miltiades Zeriel mentioned before, we tried introducing easier mode before, it didn't work.

"The laugh" was triggered by seeing your question on Codex, it was kind of unexpected =) But you're right overall, AoD is a niche game, and some players at Steam forums/reviews find the game's difficulty impossible. Some of them want a refund and we "make less coins", as you've put it. We're okay with that, though, we never expected AoD to be a mass-selling gold mine and Diablo-killer. Even if our audience is smaller, they like to experiment with character builds, try different combat tactics and tear the victory from enemies' cold dead fingers with just a couple of HPs left, beating the odds. Or to avoid combat at all, choosing alternative playthrough paths.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He's a newfag with less than a hundred posts... not really a Codexer. We got a ton of people who took a wrong turn at Neogaf here.

Black

Arcane
hey, I tried searching for game manual but there doesn't seem to be any in existence...
At first I thought how could Melcar become such a casual but I see you're only an imposter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I dunno what you're talking about, the game has very clear difficulty levels.

Easy - Talkerfag with 0 combat stuff.
Medium - Brawn over brains full on axe 10 dodge 10.
Hard - Hybrid character.
Ultraviolence - Hybrid character without lore and/or crafting.

Namutree

Savant
This game seems neat. I'll give it a try. Will definitely go the combat route; I want a decent challenge after all.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The final area takes what, 20 seconds to go through? And there's barely anything there (if you have enough lore you get like... 2x half a page of not really important background story?).

I agree with this. I think that empty locations are appropriate for novels, but not for games, even if they have a CYOA aspect.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
At least Irenaeus is fervently defending an RPG that's actually good, this time around. :troll:

"Indie" studios flock to crowdfunding to beg for millions while waving nostalgia in people's faces, eventually producing okay games that are "gud for what it is"; meanwhile, obscure, random dudes no one knows create the two best RPGs of the decade, of which Age of Decadence is the first to be released.

I do my part by gifting AoD and Underrail to dole-scrounging Steam friends. :salute:

Cadmus

Arcane
Irenaeus is a double edged sword, we need to aim him the right way and he shall support our cause. If left unattended he can waste all his energy yelling about stupid shit like PoE. We mustn't let that happen again.

Tigranes

Arcane
VD previously said he wanted final temple to be very Indiana Jonesy, but that it'd be tricky to support all character types. I expect that means talkers. It's silly setting-wise to have living people there, after all, and the only way for persuasion/streetwise/etiquette/impersonate/charisma people to get by would be... what? Talk to terminals?

I do agree that things get sparse in the 'mystery areas', though, and it's too easy to get stuck juggling 8 different artifact pieces wondering which of them go in what order to start tackling any of the various areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom