Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Day -1 impressions

Frozen

Arcane
They want cash first but it doesn't differ them in any way from every other gaming company.
The thing they did was so monetary successful that it (unfortunately) become a norm in AAA gaming.
And when everybody is doing your thing (and better than you) while doing things you don't know and never knew then your value sinks.
In short, no they cant make anything decent even if they want to.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yeah nothing says "pure incline" like a mostly empty desert with the odd ruined shack to make you think there's something there.

Except you couldn't walk for longer than 1 minute without hitting a landmark in NV unless you went to the edge of the map. If anything, NV was TOO crowded. Nice try tho.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Another interesting thing is how quickly the player can become invincible with the right stat placement in their initial SPECIAL creation. If the user despises the shitty companions (and they most likely will), they can just grab the Lone Wanderer perk and Toughness perk, instantly granting them 25 DR. at lvl.18 they can have 60 DR completely ass naked, negating over half of every damage source. It's like I'm wearing nothing at all.

WEARING NOTHING AT ALL.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Except you couldn't walk for longer than 1 minute without hitting a landmark in NV unless you went to the edge of the map. If anything, NV was TOO crowded. Nice try tho.

Yes, hitting a "landmark" instead of a full blown dungeon like in Fallout 3, that's my complaint. NV was crowded with many instances of zero content landmarks to make it look crowded. That's my complaint, NV is a digital potemkin village.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Yes, hitting a "landmark" instead of a full blown dungeon like in Fallout 3, that's my complaint. NV was crowded with many instances of zero content landmarks to make it look crowded. That's my complaint, NV is a digital potemkin village.

Except New Vegas has more quests and locations than Fallout 3.

Nice try, again.

Don't know why you need a popamole fetch quest for every single random landmark. imo it's actually really cool to come across an empty church or graveyard that has its own piece of environmental storytelling. Not everything needs to be driven by loot and other cheap endorphin triggers.

Black

Arcane
You act like Bethesda is trying to make the great RPG and failing due to incompetence.
No, I'm saying that they're not trying and even if they tried they still would fail. I see no indication whatsoever that there's any talent at bethesda at all.
Remember when they gave their programmers some time to do "whatever they wanted" for skyrim? The developers of their own game came up with stuff like moving platforms and *gasp* spears. Such talent.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

It's pretty clear why you earned that tag.

Fallout 3 had full blown dungeons all right, void of content. There was no incentive to go into them, nothing to be discovered, nothing of interest. NV had content aplenty. I'll be giving Fallout 4 a big pass. Already got burned by the tards at Bioware and their console popamole SJW DA:I

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
It's pretty clear why you earned that tag.

Fallout 3 had full blown dungeons all right, void of content. There was no incentive to go into them, nothing to be discovered, nothing of interest. NV had content aplenty. I'll be giving Fallout 4 a big pass. Already got burned by the tards at Bioware and their console popamole SJW DA:I

That's a lie, nearly every dungeon had a story to tell (frequently without using any words) and/or some unique item to find, collectible stuff like skill books, etc. And what fucking incentive do you need? Exploration is the whole point of playing bethesda games.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Except New Vegas has more quests and locations than Fallout 3.

Yes, NV has two shacks for every 3 story building in FO3. :roll:

Nice try, again.

Don't know why you need a popamole fetch quest for every single random landmark.

I don't. Where do you see me mentioning quests?

imo it's actually really cool to come across an empty church or graveyard that has its own piece of environmental storytelling. Not everything needs to be driven by loot and other cheap endorphin triggers.

I actually already mentioned environmental storytelling, which Fallout 3 has plenty of.

I barely bothered with the quests in fallout 3, I mostly explored for the sake of exploring, I don't need some asshole to guide me someplace to do something. I tried to do the same in NV and the reality is that the world is mostly empty. There's only a handful of dungeons and the dungeons themselves are, with few exceptions, small and uninteresting. NV has some things going for it but exploration and dungeon crawling isn't one of them.

CrawlingDead

Learned
That's a lie, nearly every dungeon had a story to tell (frequently without using any words) and/or some unique item to find, collectible stuff like skill books, etc. And what fucking incentive do you need? Exploration is the whole point of playing bethesda games.
Nah, it's not. Exploration is important, especially for their flavor of the sandbox experience, but their games have been struggling in other areas for a minute now, especially writing, dialog, and sure incentive to explore. Morrowind made it easier because it was interesting. Fallout 3 on the hand...no. Bethesda games have been going downhill ever since. Instead of improving their formula, they streamlined and gutted it.

Now even the casual players are seeing through their bullshit like I said would happen. Fucking user score of 5.6.

Also, the game looks like shit. Why would I spend $60 on this? I'm taking my ass to GOG for that fall sale. Bethesda fucked up big time. It came and bit them in the ass finally.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not willing to give them another chance. At least not with the crew they have right now. They can fuck off.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Let's face it, both FO3 and FO:NV were both pretty shit.

I can't believe that folks here actually had any hope of FO4 not being shit, too? :?

CrawlingDead

Learned
Let's face it, both FO3 and FO:NV were both pretty shit.

I can't believe that folks here actually had any hope of FO4 not being shit, too? :?
New Vegas was pretty good imho. It's a different game from the originals, but it's similar in a couple ways too. I liked it. In fact, I think it would have made a great Fallout 3, even with the first-person real-time. I certainly would have preferred a legitimate successor made by the original developers, but I'll take what I can get. I can tell the developers for New Vegas put their creativity and energy to work on that title, and I'm not going to blast them for it.

Bethesda on the other hand...don't get me started.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Fallout 3's world was boring as shit. Especially the urban areas with the dull metro tunnels and skyscraper debris. I hated every moment I spent there.

New Vegas' most locations were unique and memorable, patrolling the Mojave at night looking at the distant lights of the strip finding all sorts of weird places on the way was great.

Those were my impressions even when I was a popamoler with little rpg experience and no reason to hate Bethesda. Those two games are like day and night.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Fallout 3's world was boring as shit. Especially the urban areas with the dull metro tunnels and skyscraper debris. I hated every moment I spent there.

New Vegas' most locations were unique and memorable, patrolling the Mojave at night looking at the distant lights of the strip finding all sorts of weird places on the way was great.

Those were my impressions even when I was a popamoler with little rpg experience and no reason to hate Bethesda. Those two games are like day and night.
I played Fallout 3 upon release, and I wasn't impressed. I wasn't impressed with Oblivion either. I played New Vegas for the first time a couple months ago without knowing anything about, borrowed it from a friend. My initial impressions were, "Damn, Bethesda coming back, and they kind of got the Fallout style down this time." And then I realized they didn't make the game. I was fairly impressed with New Vegas. It's a game I wouldn't mind playing again to see the different endings. It's a game I can see spending $60 bucks on.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
For all those people saying "no skill checks" I've come across tons of them all are relating to a bonus reward or alternate, peaceful solutions, as well as possible info.

Lemming42

Arcane
For all those people saying "no skill checks" I've come across tons of them all are relating to a bonus reward or alternate, peaceful solutions, as well as possible info.

Those are all Charisma checks aren't they? The alternate solutions aren't much either - you typically still kill everyone in your path until you get to the last guy, who you can then ask not to kill. I've also only seen a grand total of two peaceful checks.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I think I've watched enough to form an opinion on this thing.

This is not a full game yet so no point playing it yet. Like Skyrim, the modders will finish the game. How good the game will be depends entirely on the willingness of modders and how many things they are allowed to change.

FO3 and FONV suffers from the FPS/RPG problem where if the RPG element is dominant, aim don't matter and enemies can be walking tanks. If FPS element is dominant there is no RPG element. FO4 ditched most of the RPG element save for the perks,
which can be a pretty good system if they ditched SPECIAL system altogether. They should've gone all the way in favor of a STALKER like system with perks for level-up. Dense up the perk tree as well. The levels feels completely meaningless right now.

The reason why there is no science/speech checks is because they didn't think of a way to implement this with perks.

You can probably use a trait system like FO2 to implement that. Say, aim/crafting trade-off, strength-chrisma trade-off and dialogue/action same-sex/op-sex trade-off etc.

Modders will find a way.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
There was nothing in FO3. One town - Megaton - and that was that. I guess there was that tower skyscraper, but it was pretty boring and small. Not a real town.
Skyrim, on the other hand had so many cities that I never even visited all of them. That's content. It also had dungeons that gave you clear and valuable rewards in those dragon points or whatever it was. The FO3 dungeons were boring and lootless.
FO3 was basically a mediocre Fallout-themed shooter with high production values.

Black

Arcane
uhQKI0X.png

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90893.0

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bethesda released a game with bugs? WHAT IN THE FUCK? Are you fucking kidding me?

ONLY Obsidian releases games with bugs. (And Troika RIP). :salute:

buzz

Arcane
No. That's the problem. You are thinking that they don't have the talent or couldn't secure the talent if they wanted it. They can, but they choose not to. You act like Bethesda is trying to make the great RPG and failing due to incompetence. Personally, I don't really think they give a shit about RPG's or any kind of mystique - games are widgets. Their mission is to sell a lot of them.
You really underestimate how shitty and incompetent are most designers,producers and so on. Most of them truly believe that this is the right way to make a good video game.

Oblivion happened 9 years ago. Some kid grew up with that and the CoD games and now he's working at one of the many companies that make video games, and that's his standard of quality. The gaming world has no respect for its history and barely tries to absorb influences from the indie scene (and that's only when the indie stuff gets super mainstream, like Minecraft).

This is different from the movie industry for example, where studios at least fucking try. Even Michael Bay tried to do a Coen bros style movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom