Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Latelistener

Arcane
From the looks of it, the mass audience is willing to forget how RPG games should look like, rather than stop calling Zenithesda games like that.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
^
Feeling strong Gothic vibes. So far only exploration, combat revealed. World seems harmonious:incline: Waiting for new NPC, quest design related information.

Latelistener

Arcane
Looks better than Risen 2 and 3, but by how much remains to be seen.

7:53 - boobies.
10:55 - 0451, audio logs.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's a slight chance that the game will be ok to goodish, at least that's my conclusion from the Gamescom reports so far.

Jinn

Arcane
If they can bring back even a little of the magic, I would get this for $5 or in a bundle some day. If they bring back a lot of that magic, I'd buy it for $20.

Tigranes

Arcane
God, what the hell is with the setting? Generic Scifi FPS #26 and Risen reskin spliced together by a random algorithm?

Looks so far like another Later PB game, possibly closer to Risen 1, but we'll need to see the faction stuff as well as how combat really plays out.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
my god, combat looks like the same shit we had in Gothic 2. Very little progress has happened for these guys.

Piranha Bytes has made too much 'progress' since Gothic 2, I'd prefer it if they turned back the progress a bit. A different, 'retro' style of combat would be a huge selling point in this age of Dark Souls and Twitcher. (Love both those games, Dark Souls combat is tight, but I wouldn't want it in my Gothic-like).

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Animations are like same bad ones from Risen, especially combat animations. But I still wanna play this game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I actually liek the swords and lazers mix because it reminds me of corny 80s sci-fi :M

Also, the inventory etc interface looks considerably less carcinogenic than in risen 2/3, and it looks to me like accessing it doesn't pause the game anymore, which is huge incline.

Dat melee combat tho looks exactly like risen 2/3 on first glance, and ho boy I don't like that at all

Oh, also, that you can go berserk again on bystanders is +++inclination, as well as the fact that minorly important NPCs no longer seem to have IDDQD ("the death of the hunter will change the story")

I want to believe.

Durwyn

Prophet
Some of You people still honestly believe that Piranha is capable of doing something akin to G2 or first Risen? After Risen 2 and 3? After seeing this shovelware, uninspired crap that Elex is? Those gameplay vids are pathetic. Boring, cliched and utterly idiotic setting (sci-fi meets fantasy means pew pew lazor guns and vs chain mail and swords), the oh-so-original drug that gives people power for a terrible price and the obligatory jetpack gimmick. And don't even get me started on laughable ranged and melee combat presented in those videos.

After this bombs, they're heading straight to planet mobile with "Heroes of Elex" and "Risen Crush"

Goblino

Savant
Finally watched the video to the end. I can understand just enough german to get the gist of about half of what they're saying, so the end got really surreal when I thought I heard them say they were gonna play Jenga. Then Bam! Cue camera and whaddaya know? Them krauts had a giant fucking jenga tower.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Dat melee combat tho looks exactly like risen 2/3 on first glance, and ho boy I don't like that at all.

They said that they threw everything R3 out and basically started from scratch, so if it's R3 again, then they probably cannot into combat. (I never played R2/R3)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
They said that they threw everything R3 out and basically started from scratch, so if it's R3 again, then they probably cannot into combat. (I never played R2/R3)

I guess we'll see for ourselves eventually. But I just see those weirdly-animated slow attacks that make the character travel 10 metres ahead (and, from the looks of it, which can just be LMB spammed, but who knows) and I'm getting a bad case of ris3nitis. Still, it seems the auto-lock on is gone, since the dude tends to miss every now and again? Well, shruggerino.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Auto-lock is a toggleable option in the settings.

The animations were target of questions / complaints during many of the interviews and while they said, they'll polish them until release, I get the impression, that what we see now won't be too different from what we'll get at release, I don't think their polishing will result in much better animations.

The animations were target of questions / complaints during many of the interviews and while they said, they'll polish them until release, I get the impression, that what we see now won't be too different from what we'll get at release, I don't think their polishing will result in much better animations.

Apparently, given enough time, it is possible, and so here's hoping the release date gets pushed to 2025.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom