Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks. But, Russia? My mission became two times harder. I will probably have to send a kalashnikov and a bottle vodka instead of the fruit basket.
This is what Russians like, right?

Right now you can't send jackshit due to an embargo. Lol.

Padzi

Arbiter
Thanks. But, Russia? My mission became two times harder. I will probably have to send a kalashnikov and a bottle vodka instead of the fruit basket.
This is what Russians like, right?

Right now you can't send jackshit due to an embargo. Lol.

There's always a way. We Poles have our methods. We wll either smuggle it in a car we stole from the Germans or we send it through Belarus as an apple transport.

OT: I was looking for more of those comics and found this by mistake:

Mass-Effect-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-ME-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%8B-ME-gif-2197246.gif
Anyone else find it disturbing that broads would fantasize about not only romancing a weird bone faced alien, but also marrying him and having a weird alien/human hybrid baby?

As one of those broads that decided to romance Garrus I can only say that he is ok option and that the other romance options suck. Boring Kaidan, cheating Jacob and dying Thane. Hybrids are of course revolting just like the shitesis ending is an abomination.

One True Romance:

Tick Tock Crocodile

As one of those broads that decided to romance Garrus I can only say that he is ok option and that the other romance options suck.

Agreed. If you're going to romance anyone as female Shepard, it should be Garrus. The other male options all suck and Liara somehow managed to make hot lesbian sex an option I had to mull over.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Either make them wear proper armor for the sake of immersion or maid outfits for the sake of realism.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Twitcher devs buy ME rights, create ME4: Milky way vs. degenerate andromeda galaxy sjws in a war of extinction. Would have shit combat because twitcher devs though...

Fuck off with the CDPR worship. I hope it dies a slow death rather than luring more Codexians with the siren song of popamole trash with occasional good writing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck off with the CDPR worship. I hope it dies a slow death rather than luring more Codexians with the siren song of popamole trash with occasional good writing.
Except CDPR makes lovingly crafted good games.
They may be flawed, but so are all codex favorites.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Twitcher devs buy ME rights, create ME4: Milky way vs. degenerate andromeda galaxy sjws in a war of extinction. Would have shit combat because twitcher devs though...

"Would have shit combat because twitcher devs though" = CDPR worship :D

Trying too hard there, man.

Besides, who else should I have picked in my example? We're not exactly spoiled for even just reasonably capable AAA companies.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Except CDPR makes lovingly crafted good games.
They may be flawed, but so are all codex favorites.

I thought twitcher 2 was pretty damn nice esp. for the modern era of gaming. That combat and the "hit me in my weakspot" boss shit though... Witcher 3's open world copy-pasta items and combat (even how often you fought certain monster types that totally killed the special "I need to prepare for this" feeling the fights held at first) and silly progression system (fight huge enemy a few levels higher than you = scaled down dps all of a sudden and if you win you get... Nothing special. Gah) wore me out before I remembered to actually finish the main storyline, oops. Also some combat/control issues.

Even with their games' many flaws I don't quite get the dislike for the company tbh. They're doing better than the stalwarts of old with their kickstarter shovelware...

Drakron

Arcane
I thought twitcher 2 was pretty damn nice esp. for the modern era of gaming. That combat and the "hit me in my weakspot" boss shit though... Witcher 3's open world copy-pasta items and combat (even how often you fought certain monster types that totally killed the special "I need to prepare for this" feeling the fights held at first) and silly progression system (fight huge enemy a few levels higher than you = scaled down dps all of a sudden and if you win you get... Nothing special. Gah) wore me out before I remembered to actually finish the main storyline, oops. Also some combat/control issues.

Even with their games' many flaws I don't quite get the dislike for the company tbh. They're doing better than the stalwarts of old with their kickstarter shovelware...

I think people here like Witcher juts like they like Metro, its despite the combat and not because of it, if we did just judge games because of combat (and we dont) we would always had say Planescape:Torment is shit because I certainly like it despite the combat and not because of it.

Padzi

Arbiter
As one of those broads that decided to romance Garrus I can only say that he is ok option and that the other romance options suck.

Agreed. If you're going to romance anyone as female Shepard, it should be Garrus. The other male options all suck and Liara somehow managed to make hot lesbian sex an option I had to mull over.

Liara was ok in ME1, but when I meet and her in ME2 and she was talking about flailing people with her mind, I was like - Bitch, what is your fucking damage? You should be that shy dork not Aria 0.5. Total character derailment. But this is what you get when the lead writer changes.

Lhynn

Arcane
Liara was ok in ME1, but when I meet and her in ME2 and she was talking about flailing people with her mind, I was like - Bitch, what is your fucking damage? You should be that shy dork not Aria 0.5. Total character derailment. But this is what you get when the lead writer changes.
Yep, they destroyed that character. I really liked the nerdy clumsy liara, it was relatable and a good contrast to shepard and the rest of the crew in the normandy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Exa-fucking-actly. After replaying ME2 and halfway through ME3 I just don't get how can people say ME2 is the best Mass Effect. What a complete failure of judgement.

First off, I completely forgot how utterly retarded the ME2 ending and entire plot is. The shift from ME1 to ME2 feels like a shift from 2001: Space Odyssey to Guardians of the Galaxy (no, ME1 can't compare do 2001, just trying to make a point here). And the Liara transformation from a cute nerdy archeologist into a galactic Vito Corleone is even more imbecilic. The characters are good, sure, but that's about it (oh and the Illusive Man, clearly. The best thing about ME2). The entire structure of "recruit character - go do loyalty mission - rinse&repeat" overstays its welcome after the third iteration and you have 10 more to go. Overall ME2 is by far the worst part of the trilogy and it's not even a contest. No wonder Andromeda ended up the dogshit it is when Mac Walters explicitly said ME2 was their inspiration.

So far ME3 feels much better paced and more mission diverse. Not gonna pass judgements yet, have to see the ending first. I have only played the original unpatched one which was an unbelievably gigantic turd. I wonder if the patch fixed at least some issues I had with it.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
So far ME3 feels much better paced and more mission diverse.

From my point of view, ME2 was a frustrating derailment, forcing me to work with people I wanted to pew pew with my laser cannon, and changing the interesting characters for the worse. But a least the combat was quite fun and the characters were interesting. I can remember virtually nothing about ME3 at all.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Didn't they (partly) fix Liara with The lair of the shadowbroker DLC to better match how she would be in ME3?

I also remember that DLC lampshading the problems with the entire plot of ME 2 if I recall rightly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't they (partly) fix Liara with The lair of the shadowbroker DLC to better match how she would be in ME3?

Not really, she was already a mafia boss when you meet her in vanilla ME2 lol. Whose idiotic idea was that I can't even.

As for the DLC, yeah it was prolly the most entertaining romp of the entire trilogy. The pacing, the encounter design, the set pieces, the final boss, all very juicy. Except for Liara being fucking Carlo Gambino of the Milky Way.

But a least the combat was quite fun

Meh, compared to ME3 combat is kindda lame, especially the biotics. ME3 combat is far superior.

Falksi

Arcane
Exa-fucking-actly. After replaying ME2 and halfway through ME3 I just don't get how can people say ME2 is the best Mass Effect. What a complete failure of judgement.

First off, I completely forgot how utterly retarded the ME2 ending and entire plot is. The shift from ME1 to ME2 feels like a shift from 2001: Space Odyssey to Guardians of the Galaxy (no, ME1 can't compare do 2001, just trying to make a point here). And the Liara transformation from a cute nerdy archeologist into a galactic Vito Corleone is even more imbecilic. The characters are good, sure, but that's about it (oh and the Illusive Man, clearly. The best thing about ME2). The entire structure of "recruit character - go do loyalty mission - rinse&repeat" overstays its welcome after the third iteration and you have 10 more to go. Overall ME2 is by far the worst part of the trilogy and it's not even a contest. No wonder Andromeda ended up the dogshit it is when Mac Walters explicitly said ME2 was their inspiration.

So far ME3 feels much better paced and more mission diverse. Not gonna pass judgements yet, have to see the ending first. I have only played the original unpatched one which was an unbelievably gigantic turd. I wonder if the patch fixed at least some issues I had with it.

Absolute dead on summary of ME2. That said I still kinda enjoyed it. It felt like more of a spin off than a sequel, and fuck knows why the combat gets praised as I actually preferred the first game's, but there was still fun to be had.
What they did with Liara though. Ye gads what a train wreck.
Hope you enjoy ME3 more than I did tho. Worst of the lot by far for me.

Vorark

Erudite
Renegade Shepard, as a Vanguard, was the best thing in ME2. Flying all over the battlefield to shotgun people in the face at point blanc, taking names and shoving thugs through windows. It was edgy as all fuck, but goofy fun.

About ME3, I think it was this game which really started with the "social" undertones. I mean, in ME2 you had Miranda's giant ass shielding your party, Samara's tits, Jack had that nipple cover outfit of hers. Imagine if ME2 was released today? Muh feminism! Considering the amount of people who romanced Garrus, I'm sure a decent amount of women played the game and were not bothered by it.

Anyway, back to ME3, I remember there was a dude who started to talk about how his husband did this and that and I was like: Uhm, yeah, whatever. I don't care if you have a wife/husband/etc. That line felt oddly misplaced and forced at the time. Oh, and the Kaidan/Kaiden/whatshisname being turned into a romance option for MaleShep when he never was back in ME1.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
These seem like fairly unrelated issues, and I have no insider knowledge. I happened to like ME2, although it seemed like all wind up and no pitch, and the boss was obviously ridiculous. My only guess is that they figured they couldn't really rehash ME1's structure without it going downhill, so they tried a different angle. Incidentally, I think ME2 also drew upon a variety of space opera tropes that hadn't really been captured in ME1, so I think they did a pretty good in that respect, too. That said, I didn't like ME2 enough to play ME3.
Now now, don't get me wrong, 2 was a a'ight, but the spirit of 1 was gone. The overall aesthetic was changed from Sci-Fi to Action-Adventure and that cannot be coincidence. I'd be willing to throw the dating sim aspect of 2 in with these overall decisions. In order of importance: music, art style, open environments, romance.

I can't believe Hudson would want to alter what was arguably an atmospheric home run, so I'll blame EA

Problem is nobody gives a shit about the stupid world and you won't either.

is the essence of what RPGWatch is and stands for - a dull site full of middle-of-the-Bell-curve people with mundane taste stolidly recommending middling games to their equally nondescript readers.

You're a fucking linguistic artist. And when I said synth music I didn't mean digitally sampled orchestra, I meant music made from sounds built from the ground up: think Blade Runner, Stargate Universe, Deus Ex, or Star Control 2.

I tell you what, I don't know what kind of music Andromeda has and I don't plan on finding out, but nothing will pull you out of the Andromeda galaxy and back to Earth faster than a string section and a timpani.

Did I just spell timpani right?

pippin

I'm still waiting for someone to describe me the "spirit" of ME1. Some people might think I hated that game, but I didn't. It was... cool, but people treat very menial details of it as if they were the second coming of Christ, and languish about the what ifs and think the game was meant to be some groundbreaking shit.

Newsflash, it's a AAA game, just like KOTOR was. In fact, in some aspects KOTOR was a bit more colorful and diverse than ME, I'd say. But the so called "tactical" combat, the so called "intriguing" and "well paced" story... well, they just aren't there, in my opinion. I guess the thing that makes people say that is how horribly the ME series shat the bed after 1, but that's another thing, although you are really desperate if you thought ME1 was supposed to "save" anything.

In fact, I wonder why people care so much about how ME series declined in comparison to DA, when DA really was supposed to be the pc centric, tactical rpg to "save" the genre. It was very clear from the start that ME was going to be a console centric action game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom