Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Notch creating a new engine (for a game?)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Or is this a hint how small/granular the cubes are?

Yes the voxels are 1/16th of a meter which means they are around 4000 times smaller than in minecraft, which it makes it look like what we see.

Instead of big blocks that make it look like a cartoon, we see it more realisticaly as it would be a shitty gif.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
fr-minecraft_KC7P_dtrsvrdw0aepb8u.jpg

DTmUuURWAAYJNp2.jpg

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Really reminds me of old dungeon crawlers, but those with nice pixel graphics, like Lands of Lore 1
(and not all these shitty fake-pixel-indie-games)

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I guess his No-Compete clause is over with Microsoft....And he releases THIS shit?

Sad!

Zep--

Jigawatt

Arcane
It's appaling to me that anyone would think this is a filter ROFL.
If you're going to have a go at other people for being stupid...

This is what makes Notch stand a level higher compared to other programmers, shit like this haven't been done before.
Try not to be a retard yourself. Voxel systems/applications have been studied extensively since the first raytracers were developed. Just as one simple example a raymarching algo he's probably using is this one from fucking 1987. Health science people are always looking for ways to visualise massive (10mil+) voxel datasets in real-time, here's a survey of techniques from 6 years ago. Point is, it's fine to go to bat for Notch bringing this sort of tech to a new game, but to suggest he's some savant coder and doing something novel is miles off the mark.

render distance of almost 1000000 voxels
Can't figure at all what this means (furthest voxel can be 1mil grid units away?) but it doesn't really make any sense no matter how you interpret it. As FeelTheRads pointed out, it seems 1 'voxel' projects to one pixel no matter the distance, so at 1080p you can only have 1920x1080 (2mil) voxels in the view at any given time - few will be 1000000 units away as they will be obscured by closer ones. If you have static geometry you can do heaps of optimisations that make this sort of rendering pretty easy, and if it's procedurally generated (which of course it is) then it goes from easy to trivial (this is basically screen-space SDF raymarching with the scene being quantized to a regular grid at the final sampling point - see for example for projects here: https://iquilezles.org/www/articles/raymarchingdf/raymarchingdf.htm - which you'll notice start in 2008).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If those pixels are voxels I'm eating my video card.
And if they're 1/16m that means one of the bricks in the last screenshot is about 4m long. ROFL.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice engine for making fake 90's screenshots.

Seriously though, looks pretty cool. Even if I would prefer him spending his billions on something more grand.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
On one occasion he took up the study of voxels, and appeared at a costume ball as Cutter Slade, explorer of Adelpha, in a dress covered with five hundred and sixty voxels. This taste enthralled him for years, and, indeed, may be said never to have left him. He would often spend a whole day settling and resettling in their cases the various voxels that he had collected, such as the olive-green chrysovoxel that turns red by lamplight, the cymovoxel with its wirelike line of silver, the pistachio-coloured perivoxel, rose-pink and wine-yellow topoxels, carboxels of fiery scarlet with tremulous, four-rayed stars, flame-red cinnamon-stones, orange and violet voxels, and voxelthysts with their alternate layers of ruby and sapphire. He loved the red gold of the sunvoxel, and the moonvoxel’s pearly whiteness, and the broken rainbow of the milky voxel. He procured from Amsterdam three voxels of extraordinary size and richness of colour, 1/16th of a meter each, and had a voxel de la vieille roche that was the envy of all the connoisseurs.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Makabb I see you failed to mention that the tweet was from January this year. And there's also this:

Then a month later

As far as I can tell, that was the end of it. If you have any updated news, feel free to share it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Lazing Dirk, the dungeon screenshot was posted a month or two ago, so he is still working on it.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Lazing Dirk, the dungeon screenshot was posted a month or two ago, so he is still working on it.

Still wrong.

This is an entry for js13kgames. Also, here's an animated version.

That spinning room is literally the entire thing. It's just a demo of some interesting JS programming that - as far as I can tell - uses image compression to compress program data as if it were a picture. A neat trick, but nothing to do with voxels, and at this point not even a game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Last time Notch tried to make something, he eventually gave up and resorted to just depression and watching anime.

I hope there's good 2018 anime, or we might never have a 2020 attempt at an engine.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I like where this is going, another 5 years of hard work and we may have a Duke Nukem 3D-style engine on our hands!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I like where this is going, another 5 years of hard work and we may have a Duke Nukem 3D-style engine on our hands!

There's a similar thing that already exists, .kkrieger, except Notch's one is javascript. It's an entire first-person shooter in a 96kb executable; any screenshot taken of it is likely to be larger than the game itself. This screenshot Makkab posted, for example, is 102kb.

Skip forward about a minute to see it in action. No sounds, sadly. That'd take up too much space (it was for a 96kb compo).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom