Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

krisman87

Literate
After 124 hours, I have finished it. That was quite something. I think I'll give it some time before eventually restarting and trying out another build. Thanks for the help everyone.
what build did You made ?

Jezal_k23

I focused on guns/stealth/traps. I used a plasma pistol (occasionally acid blob) and an SMG or assault rifle (Steyr Auch in the late game, SMGs in the early game). I don't remember my attribute spread from the early game, but I ended the game like this:

7ZyFqLH.png

I don't know if you're intending to start it right now or something, so avoiding spoilers I can say it was not a good enough build to defeat the final boss on his full strength (I relied too much on aimed shot which has a long cooldown), so luckily you can weaken him in other ways.

krisman87

Literate
I don't know if you're intending to start it right now or something, so avoiding spoilers I can say it was not a good enough build to defeat the final boss on his full strength (I relied too much on aimed shot which has a long cooldown), so luckily you can weaken him in other ways.

Exactly, I was going to play a similar character, but instead of pistols I would choose SMG or Sniper rifle combined with throwing and sneak. Speaking about final boos, at least it was challenging for You and this is what I'm hoping for when playing :)

What kind of exp system did You played ?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I'm gonna leave this here, all low-key like. Check this out if Expedition closed alpha testing sounds like something you'd want to participate in: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3526.0
Just a reminder for those interested - please post in the thread on our forums as the issuing of invites and bug reporting will be taking place there. If your username is not the same as the Codex one, let me know in the post who you are so I know that you are a respectable member of this prestigious community and not some newfag. Invites will be going out soon.

:shredder::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Trashos

Arcane
That's my pistolero.

I am kinda hooked to Unarmed or Psi at this point (2 builds, not combined), but I am entertaining the thought of trying a pistol build some day. I know it is not one of the best builds, but is it fun? I have briefly tried it once, and I didn't quite get it. Excellent Initiative, but that's all I was enjoying. Admittedly, I dropped it while still with firearms.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Trashos it's absolutely fun, with lot of tactical thinking, because acid one is makes enemies to stop, but they can act, incendiary one makes them to run in panic, freezing one completely shut down them.
Also you have Electroshock Pistol who stun, and deal huge damage.
For some fights it's freezing+acifd, acid+burning or EP+some of them.
I liked it, before switching to Unrmed. )

Jezal_k23

Acid pistol and acid blob traps are a bit nightmare fuel-ish. Imagine having your feet covered with acid in such a manner that you can't move while it eats through your flesh.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The problem with pistols is usually I use EP for damage to outright eliminat someone, but with Aimed Shot on cd is absolutely useless with it's lol20 damage, so I only left with what I have in different hand.
And in different hand it's usually napalm pistol, because it can disable organics realy fast because has doubled chances to proc effect on hit.
BUT! Some of them wearing these suits, protecting from burning and fire... also, acid lock them in placebut they still can shoot...

I need third arm!

epeli

Arcane
How are the gameplay improvements? What of veteran levels?

Some general impressions:
I can't comment on the new weapons/skills as I wasn't testing them over the weekend, but there's tons of new stuff for everyone - armors, weapons, food, drugs, new components for old blueprints, miscellanea from belts to grenades and entirely new gadgets. Lots of new ways to temporarily boost everything from skills to base abilities to various combat stats. Will take time to discover all the new stuff and assess the possibilities they offer... you're thinking of power creep? Me too, but so far the expansion has some of the hardest fights of Underrail. Noobs rushing to Black Sea will get rekt for sure.

One thing I like in particular is increased number of small details in the new areas. Not graphically (although there's that too), but there are plenty of points to observe in the environment when exploring on foot. Probably not a big deal for most players, but I just like that kind of extra interactivity. There are other kinds of new environmental interactivity as well, like fire burning overgrown plants to cinders. Most of the new areas are in Black Sea and the southern waterways, but there are a few small side areas in the south. Unlike the countless "somewhere in Lower Underrail" areas, all the major geographical features of the south waterways are named and referenced in dialogs, not just in the global map. A nice worldbuilding touch. They also feel really alive, there's plenty of traffic going through the main routes. For an enterprising murderhobo this means opportunities for piracy. Which brings me to...

The jetski system. It's pretty much as explained in the devlog, and it's great. Jet customization is full of meaningful tradeoffs between weight, speed, power drain, and stability. Jetski frames differ in number and size of part slots, base stability, hydrodynamicity (speed modifier depending on engine power and loaded weight), special abilities like turbos or built-in weapons, and defensive stats of durability, cover (chance of attacks hitting the jet instead of rider) and resistances. The jetski models range from speeders with gaudy flame paintjobs to lumbering AlFabet-boats that can easily move your weekly junk haul and tow your hard-earned stolen jetskis. Of course there are also heavily armored combat jets with rocket launchers or various energy weapons, if hand-held weapons don't fit your idea of naval combat.

As for the Black Sea campaign... nobody has gotten far yet, but it's more dynamic than anything you've seen in Underrail. That's about all I can say without spoilers.

Veteran levels are pretty much as you read from devlogs. People didn't like veteran feats, so that idea took a backseat to feat specializations - a whole new layer of character building, speccing into some aspect of your favorite feats to further improve them. That's the good stuff. Veteran feats are still there, but they're pretty niche - not a part of every character, unlike feat specializations. There's a bunch of new normal feats as well, and not just for the expansion weapons.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm currently reading Dark Tower's book 3 (The Waste Lands) right now, and can't stop thinking about making a Roland-inspired, firearm pistol-based gunslinger character in Underrail

What'd you guys think http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUOBgMKAwXChwAAAMKHwocAADcAwodfXwAAXwAAAABkZCQXATkeJjBZWygzSzov

Edit: maybe I'll drop Electronics because I already put no points in Hacking. I'm also considering reducing the points put into Mercantile and reallocate it with the points from Electronics into, I dunno, Throwing? Biology? I can't remember if Roland is good at Throwing, but he definitely had a bit of Biology since he identified some floras enough to warn Susannah not to eat/collect some.

Or maybe I should finish the entire series first to know what Roland truly capable of?

Last edited:
How are the gameplay improvements? What of veteran levels?

Some general impressions:
I can't comment on the new weapons/skills as I wasn't testing them over the weekend, but there's tons of new stuff for everyone - armors, weapons, food, drugs, new components for old blueprints, miscellanea from belts to grenades and entirely new gadgets. Lots of new ways to temporarily boost everything from skills to base abilities to various combat stats. Will take time to discover all the new stuff and assess the possibilities they offer... you're thinking of power creep? Me too, but so far the expansion has some of the hardest fights of Underrail. Noobs rushing to Black Sea will get rekt for sure.

One thing I like in particular is increased number of small details in the new areas. Not graphically (although there's that too), but there are plenty of points to observe in the environment when exploring on foot. Probably not a big deal for most players, but I just like that kind of extra interactivity. There are other kinds of new environmental interactivity as well, like fire burning overgrown plants to cinders. Most of the new areas are in Black Sea and the southern waterways, but there are a few small side areas in the south. Unlike the countless "somewhere in Lower Underrail" areas, all the major geographical features of the south waterways are named and referenced in dialogs, not just in the global map. A nice worldbuilding touch. They also feel really alive, there's plenty of traffic going through the main routes. For an enterprising murderhobo this means opportunities for piracy. Which brings me to...

The jetski system. It's pretty much as explained in the devlog, and it's great. Jet customization is full of meaningful tradeoffs between weight, speed, power drain, and stability. Jetski frames differ in number and size of part slots, base stability, hydrodynamicity (speed modifier depending on engine power and loaded weight), special abilities like turbos or built-in weapons, and defensive stats of durability, cover (chance of attacks hitting the jet instead of rider) and resistances. The jetski models range from speeders with gaudy flame paintjobs to lumbering AlFabet-boats that can easily move your weekly junk haul and tow your hard-earned stolen jetskis. Of course there are also heavily armored combat jets with rocket launchers or various energy weapons, if hand-held weapons don't fit your idea of naval combat.

As for the Black Sea campaign... nobody has gotten far yet, but it's more dynamic than anything you've seen in Underrail. That's about all I can say without spoilers.

Veteran levels are pretty much as you read from devlogs. People didn't like veteran feats, so that idea took a backseat to feat specializations - a whole new layer of character building, speccing into some aspect of your favorite feats to further improve them. That's the good stuff. Veteran feats are still there, but they're pretty niche - not a part of every character, unlike feat specializations. There's a bunch of new normal feats as well, and not just for the expansion weapons.

wait are veteran levels out in the main branch or are you guys talking about the alpha?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom