Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Mmh. Right. And, just out of curiosity, what do you find so interesting about "bronze age Etruscans"?

OK, fair, technically they were iron age, I meant it more broadly - bronze age and on, until the pre-Roman period.
Before the Etruscans, there was already at least two centuries of Iron Age Villanova Culture in those territories. The latest known Bronze Age culture in the area was the Terramare, which lasted until roughly half twelveth century BC. Regardless of the incertitude about the origins of the Etruscans, we are talking about a four and a half century gap between them and the latest Bronze Age findings in the area (Tuscany/Liguria/Emilia Romagna/Umbria/Northern Lazio).

P.S. I see that "Etruscan bronze age" is already a thing on the Codex, good job :D

Yeah, must've been a brain fart, we've used a bunch of these (mostly the Villanovans and the Nuragi) as inspiration for the Ram cultural look in Six Ages.

Sorry for derailing the thread! I was just amused by "Pyrrhenia".

Brancaleone

Prophet
Mmh. Right. And, just out of curiosity, what do you find so interesting about "bronze age Etruscans"?

OK, fair, technically they were iron age, I meant it more broadly - bronze age and on, until the pre-Roman period.
Before the Etruscans, there was already at least two centuries of Iron Age Villanova Culture in those territories. The latest known Bronze Age culture in the area was the Terramare, which lasted until roughly half twelveth century BC. Regardless of the incertitude about the origins of the Etruscans, we are talking about a four and a half century gap between them and the latest Bronze Age findings in the area (Tuscany/Liguria/Emilia Romagna/Umbria/Northern Lazio).

P.S. I see that "Etruscan bronze age" is already a thing on the Codex, good job :D

Yeah, must've been a brain fart, we've used a bunch of these (mostly the Villanovans and the Nuragi) as inspiration for the Ram cultural look in Six Ages.

Sorry for derailing the thread! I was just amused by "Pyrrhenia".
No problem, I know you guys take your Bronze Age seriously (which is why I was rather suprised by that reference). And in any case, I think it beats talking about ?Nazis? and ?cucks? for scores of pages.
Besides, since you've mentioned the Villanovan and especially the Nuragic inspiration for some of the content of Six Ages, I really do hope there is no delay for the Windows version of Six Ages. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Have I found the fan of Golden Lands and other Russian shovelware from 200x? :troll:

Frankly, your own game have better chances of seeing the light of the day and not being shit. I like how Hobgoblin tries to invoke nostalgia in viewers of his trailer using screenshots of, let's see, from the top of my head:
Bard's Tale
Wizardry 1 or 2 or 3
Phantasie
Ultima 1 or 2 or 3
Might and Magic
Wizard's Crown
Might and Magic 2
Ultima 4
Ultima 5
Bunch of Goldboxes
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Magic Candle
Wizardry 6
Lord of the Rings 2
Wizardry 6
Darklands
Martian Dreams
Savage Empire
Might and Magic 3
Realms of Arkania
Realms of Arkania 2
Magic Candle 3
Wizardry 7
Dark Sun
Betrayal at Krondor
Baldur's Gate
Albion
Planescape: Torment
Wizardry 8
Arcanum
Might and Magic 6
What a bunch of very diverse games! I played almost all of them and do you know what Wizard's Crown and Planescape: Torment have in common? Right, they are both RPGs, that's all.
Then he writes
Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen is inspired by the classic RPGs of the 80s and 90s, taking the best elements of the beloved old classics and reforging them into something new in a powerful modern engine. In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun, the world exploration and camp management of Realms of Arkania, the interactivity and living world of Ultima, the choice-driven quests and reactivity of Fallout and Arcanum, and the rich NPC interaction of Baldur’s Gate and Planescape Torment, along with fresh new features that haven’t been seen before in the genre.
I already see that he fucking lacks focus. Take Pathfinder: Kingmaker (that you don't like for some reason) for example, it tries to be new Baldur's Gate and splendidly succeeds. I doubt that Hobgoblin delivers on even 10% of his promises.
Compare him to VD who gave potential players combat demo first or even Cleve. They knew what were doing. Hobgoblin? Lol, no.

Last edited:
Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Have I found the fan of Golden Lands and other Russian shovelware from 200x?
Did you edit your previous comment? I know that Goldenland is a shovelware, it's only in Russian(that helps coverage :D). I've played many isometric rpgs, for...let's say research purposes.

Edit: oh lol, i didn't notice the "." :D

I already see that he fucking lacks focus. Take Pathfinder: Kingmaker (that you don't like for some reason) for example, it tries to be new Baldur's Gate and splendidly succeeds. I doubt that Hobgoblin delivers on even 10% of his promises.
Honestly, i don't like many games(it's totaly subjective). I'm rooting for this because of their smaller budget and being more indie than others that claim to be too(pillars?).

Btw who is VD?

Last edited:
Posted about it on a french forum, half the people dont like the graphics,but i bet quite a few pledged. People are extremely picky nowadays, absurdly picky. I think the game look is fine expect the portrait closer to something like arcanum than D&d fantasy. Only way to get this funded is by word of mouth, if every codexers post on some small indie forums that will add a few pledges at a time. That's the only way to fight the decline, one pledge at a time.
Btw where can you check backers country percentages? .

What did they say about the graphics?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wait, is Realms using D&D license? What exactly does "OGL license" mean in practical terms for the game?

For whatever reason I thought this was going to use their own rules-system, not an existing one. Is this the true successor to Knights of the Chalice!?

EDIT: Also about people being "picky" and stuff well it probably stems from this new KickStarter/crowd-funding narrative where the consumer feels like, hey it's MY 20 bucks so if I don't like one single little thing about it THEN IT'S TRASH!!!!

Not saying that it's wrong, mind you, just attempting to explain why people "are so picky nowadays". When you start asking people for money like it's a fucking favor or something, people start getting picky.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
OGL is for 3E. It is how Pathfinder was allowed to be created since it is basically D&D with their own additions.

As for this KS. I already stated what it would take for me to back. They refuse to follow through no money from me.

NO DEAL. NO COMPROMISE.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Did you edit your previous comment?
Always look for timestamps and little "Last edited:" in the low left corner. It appears if message was edited later than 5 minutes after posting. Just my honest little advice for the new member.
Honestly, i don't like many games(it's totaly subjective). I'm rooting for this because of their smaller budget and being more indie than others that calim to be too(pillars?).
You will be surprised, then.

Btw who is VD?
Vault Dweller, ex-admin of this site and the head of Iron Tower Studio. Have you heard about the Thursday's Child, the one and only Age of Decadence?

Seriously, man, lurk more.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I'm getting sort of disappointed by 'Dex reception to this incline.

Totally with you there. There should be a fundraiser campaign for this.

Edit: Wth, this has everything the Codex supposedly longs for. TB, reactivity, overworld map, d&d rules, selfmade engine etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm getting sort of disappointed by 'Dex reception to this incline.

Totally with you there. There should be a fundraiser campaign for this.

Edit: Wth, this has everything the Codex supposedly longs for. TB, reactivity, overworld map, d&d rules, selfmade engine etc.
I'd reply with a serious comment but then my comment would be thrown in the gulag.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get the premise behind "wait until the kickstarter has reached its goal before a codex fundraiser." Is it simply because if it fails it would be a pain to refund people? A lot of times I would like to do codex fundraiser instead of kickstarter, but already have backed on a cheaper tier so I can't participate in codex fun without losing money which I'm sure Infinitron would understand as being something undesirable

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pretty sure it's a combination of having to refund if the project fails plus the fact that a fundraiser is more effective when the product is at least real.

i mean why fundraise for a project that hasn't met it's KS goal yet? Just go pledge to it then, it's the same thing, except pledging is better than a pre-KS fundraiser because KickStarter itself garners more PR and publicity.

It looks much better for a game to have a successful KS than for a game to have a successful fundraiser.

vazha

Arcane
Isometric + turn-based + hexgrid + OGL 3.5 + FPC of 6 + toolset + OLM.

The art assets and OST are solid. Looks like the engine will have better performance than Unity, too (loadtimes + framerate).

There is no faggotry or decline in sight here.
Good lord, Lilura has said something reasonable for a change. The end times must be nigh indeed.

Bohr

Arcane
Must... resist... cheap AoD joke.

8irwCKtv_o.png

eMzw6oDV_o.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Must... resist... cheap AoD joke.

8irwCKtv_o.png

eMzw6oDV_o.png
I wonder if you can use teleport to kill enemies. It is a will save to teleport an unwilling person. If they fail teleport them in the middle of an ocean, very high in the air or just anywhere very far away. Or maybe into a Dragon's cave you once found but didn't want to wake a Dragon :)

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I wonder if you can use teleport to kill enemies. It is a will save to teleport an unwilling person. If they fail teleport them in the middle of an ocean, very high in the air or just anywhere very far away. Or maybe into a Dragon's cave you once found but didn't want to wake a Dragon :)
Teleport is definitely a handy spell, it might even be strong enough to summon HobbGoblin to Codex again or send all dissidents to Dark Underlord's administration and fun conversation here to smelly pit of boomer despair and uncontrolled cuckoldry known as RPG Crotch or Watch, whatevs...
:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom