Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ashen - a new Souls-like

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
40 Euro? Only available in Epic's shitty store? How much money the devs got from Epic to make it exclusive?

They pay only 5% to Epic while Steam charges 30%.

That said I'm sure it'll be available on Steam too, probably sooner than later.

SpoilVictor

Educated
It also pays 0$ if no one will buy your game:cool: Not counting sweet Epic dollars they got for exclusivity.

It looks better than I expected tbh, would give it a try but I'm not goin to install another bloatware client just for Ashen.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The problem with these Souls-clones, is that their developers (and even fans of this type of games) don't seem to understand is that the strongest points of Demon's/Dark Souls were the atmosphere, level design, world building and exploration. The combat has always the weakest link of the gameplay - something which is really apparent when compared to other hack & slash games. Even From seems to have forgotten this (or failed to realize it in the first place) - reason why DS3 was by far the weakest game they made since Demons.

If they are really going to make these games more about combat then should look to actually good hack & slash games (Nioh, Severance, DMC, etc...).

Still, I would rather have more Souls-clones than Battle Royales, absurdly broken competive multiplayer or Betheseda/Ubisoft styled Open World game #26457

SpoilVictor

Educated
If you're not willing to sacrifice 300 MB of HD space and one icon space on your desktop you're gonna get the Steam monopoly you deserve.

Rather I'm not willing to spend money in brand new store that will possibly go out of business. I will wait to see if they are trustworthy.

And on Steam monopoly: You are right but that's why I prefer to buy my games on GOG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem with these Souls-clones, is that their developers (and even fans of this type of games) don't seem to understand is that the strongest points of Demon's/Dark Souls were the atmosphere, level design, world building and exploration. The combat has always the weakest link of the gameplay - something which is really apparent when compared to other hack & slash games. Even From seems to have forgotten this (or failed to realize it in the first place) - reason why DS3 was by far the weakest game they made since Demons.

Hundred times this. That's why retards who think DS3 is the best are so infuriating. These people never understood what made Soulsbornes so legendary. They think it's all about akshun. DS3 combat is the most fluid and smooth therefore DS3 is "the best". Fucking Christ.

But I disagree combat has always been the weakest part, I think it's been always one of the strongest. It's just there are 100 other great things about Soulsbornes - the art, atmosphere, narrative, level design, mysteries, itemization, build variety, PvP and many others.

So far the level design in Ashen has been p. good but I haven't visited any vertical structures like castles or towers yet. So the game so far has been a bit like Huntsman's Copse - not completely flat but not exactly a maze either.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rather I'm not willing to spend money in brand new store that will possibly go out of business. I will wait to see if they are trustworthy.

That's a legitimate concern, fair enough. It's just I've read too many comments all over the webz about "waah another client".

And on Steam monopoly: You are right but that's why I prefer to buy my games on GOG.
#MeeToo.

If this game didn't catch my attention so hard and if I wasn't starved for some Souls I'd definitely wait for a possible GoG release.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But I disagree combat has always been the weakest part, I think it's been always one of the strongest. It's just there are 100 other great things about Soulsbornes - the art, atmosphere, narrative, level design, mysteries, itemization, build variety, PvP and many others.

I also wasn't saying it was bad, it certainly is better than Skyrim or AC. But then compared with other hack & slashes, DS isn't really something to write home about. Even a visibility inspired game like NIOH has a much better designed, challenging and satisfying combat system and enemy design.
And like you said there's just many other aspects that were much better realized and made the game an unique and memorable experience.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

starts off kinda :not sure about this: but 15 minutes in you realize this guy knows exactly what he's talking about. I enjoyed this and think it's a good video, if overly long. Good breakdown of game design, specifically the how and why of the design of Souls-shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
aweigh I recomend you to stop watching his videos, or you'll be very misinformed.
That guy rarely knows what's he's talking about. His video are ridiculously and pointlessly long because he just talks and talks and talks, but never gets anywhere. The fact he thinks the nu-God of War is a good game is enough to tell you he really doesn't know what makes a game good.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
So far the level design in Ashen has been p. good but I haven't visited any vertical structures like castles or towers yet. So the game so far has been a bit like Huntsman's Copse - not completely flat but not exactly a maze either.
On third area there starts to be quite lengthy climbs, and on the fourth there's a huge descending dungeon that I've been struggling for the last hour or so. There also start to be less mountains/tall flat walls but more and more climbable sections dividing the gauntlets and bigger areas. In fact that's how it also is in the first area, it's just that there it's just two jumps.

I've actually been quite surprised about the game. It's got a great feeling with only really the weapon movesets being limiting, otherwise the movement, dodging and climbing around feel absolutely fantastic and remind me of Shadow of The Colossus. I wish I could play it with someone, but either way it's really drawing me in. As in general and if I had it to boil it down to a sentence, I'd say "Dragon's Dogma but not Dogmashit".

My niggles so far generally are QoL on things like not being able to lock on on spear throw mode, being able to buy/craft multiples at once, that sort of stuff. And maybe more importantly, the assets and enemies feeling a bit too thinly spread. I wouldn't speak too soon as the aforementioned dungeon had a pretty big twist at a certain level of depth reached and there's a lot of unique stuff to find, but I got the impression I've seen all the building blocks already. It'd be a bigger problem if they weren't an indie studio, really. And well this is pretty run of the mill but there's not even a damn tutorial showing you most of the controls and mechanics, and there's not even the Souls thing of a "Help" button you use exactly oncew to read over all of your inventory/character menu and see what's everything for. I have no clue what the second "Spell">/Talisman is supposed to do, and oh, that's another one, it's really shitty that you have to pay every time you slot something in even if you bought it before. It disencourages experimentation for combos and "builds" and, again, with things being kind of obscure it's punishing for no good reason. And it only really affects the early game as, as big prices they are, they're flat amounts.

The fact he thinks the nu God of War is a good game
My dude something tells me you didn't pay much attention there considering he was lukewarm as fuck- I agree with the overly long, but nothing is really redundant except in occasions like the Mario Oddysey one where he tortuously points to actual examples that you can just skim over when you get the point

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If I had PS4 I'd buy two games - Bloodborne at full price and nu-God of War at a 50% or more discount. Sure it's a bit too tryple Ay and mainstream for my taste but it's also a solid Souls-like without and MTX, DLC or SJW bullshit. Those seem ever rare in this day and age.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ah, didn't know about his thinking GoW 4 was good. That definitely shines a new light on my opinion of his opinions now. That game was objectively bad at being a game.

Sacibengala

Prophet
If I had PS4 I'd buy two games - Bloodborne at full price and nu-God of War at a 50% or more discount. Sure it's a bit too tryple Ay and mainstream for my taste but it's also a solid Souls-like without and MTX, DLC or SJW bullshit. Those seem ever rare in this day and age.

Souls games (demon souls, dark souls 1 and bloodborne, all that matters) respect women/transgender people in a way that not sounds remotely imbecile and forced. Kudos to Myiazaki for doing that kind of stuff, that isn't that hard to do really, but it seems pretty much in the occident.
PS: Bloodborne has one dlc. Some argue that is best than some of the areas and bosses in the main game.

deama

Prophet
40 Euro? Only available in Epic's shitty store? How much money the devs got from Epic to make it exclusive?

They pay only 5% to Epic while Steam charges 30%.

That said I'm sure it'll be available on Steam too, probably sooner than later.
I'm pretty sure epic store's charge rate is 12%, not 5%.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On third area there starts to be quite lengthy climbs, and on the fourth there's a huge descending dungeon that I've been struggling for the last hour or so. There also start to be less mountains/tall flat walls but more and more climbable sections dividing the gauntlets and bigger areas. In fact that's how it also is in the first area, it's just that there it's just two jumps.

I've actually been quite surprised about the game. It's got a great feeling with only really the weapon movesets being limiting, otherwise the movement, dodging and climbing around feel absolutely fantastic and remind me of Shadow of The Colossus. I wish I could play it with someone, but either way it's really drawing me in. As in general and if I had it to boil it down to a sentence, I'd say "Dragon's Dogma but not Dogmashit".

My niggles so far generally are QoL on things like not being able to lock on on spear throw mode, being able to buy/craft multiples at once, that sort of stuff. And maybe more importantly, the assets and enemies feeling a bit too thinly spread. I wouldn't speak too soon as the aforementioned dungeon had a pretty big twist at a certain level of depth reached and there's a lot of unique stuff to find, but I got the impression I've seen all the building blocks already. It'd be a bigger problem if they weren't an indie studio, really. And well this is pretty run of the mill but there's not even a damn tutorial showing you most of the controls and mechanics, and there's not even the Souls thing of a "Help" button you use exactly oncew to read over all of your inventory/character menu and see what's everything for. I have no clue what the second "Spell">/Talisman is supposed to do, and oh, that's another one, it's really shitty that you have to pay every time you slot something in even if you bought it before. It disencourages experimentation for combos and "builds" and, again, with things being kind of obscure it's punishing for no good reason. And it only really affects the early game as, as big prices they are, they're flat amounts.

The fact he thinks the nu God of War is a good game
My dude something tells me you didn't pay much attention there considering he was lukewarm as fuck- I agree with the overly long, but nothing is really redundant except in occasions like the Mario Oddysey one where he tortuously points to actual examples that you can just skim over when you get the point

I
santa.png
the game for like 1 hour and it's nice.

I want to play it but I will wait for Steam release.

Anyway, I think Below is released next week.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
aweigh I recomend you to stop watching his videos, or you'll be very misinformed.
That guy rarely knows what's he's talking about.

I remember his DS3 review, he said it was p. bad and he was disappointed...but he enjoyed the game a lot. He also said many of the levels are recycled from previous Souls....but DS3 has BY FAR the best level design in the series (and I'm not misquoting, a statement like that is impossible to forget).

He seems like a very confused young man.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Ok played a bit more. As far as I can tell there is no complicated stat system just health and you get better weapons. Ashen feels still more like an RPG to me with the amount of dialogue and sidequest you get. There are even rudimentary choices like not giving an item to a ncp. Still really like it the soundtrack is good and stays mostly in the background. The performance is good too with my ancient 960Gtx 4gb.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok played a bit more. As far as I can tell there is no complicated stat system just health and you get better weapons. Ashen feels still more like an RPG to me with the amount of dialogue and sidequest you get. There are even rudimentary choices like not giving an item to a ncp. Still really like it the soundtrack is good and stays mostly in the background. The performance is good too with my ancient 960Gtx 4gb.

I also played a little bit more.

It looks like the companions quests are giving rewards like +15 max health and they unlock special upgrades.
Jokkel -> number of Estus flasks
Vasca -> craft spears
Amara -> upgrade weapons

In other words it's better to do the companions quests asap.

But I also have some issues with the game:
Dodging with KB + mouse is fucked up. Way worse than Dark Souls.
Hitboxes are bad. Really bad. Also the camera has moments of brain farts. In combination they can get you killed fast.
Some enemies are damage sponges but more annoyingly are the aggressive jumping attacks. The devs missed the point of DaS (but it's not a surprise).

Overall, I think 40 potatoes for the game is too much.

Salvo

Arcane
Started playing yesterday and sank around 15 hours in it. Game looks and feels absolutely fantastic, atmosphere is top notch. Combat is hard, sometimes too much so: devs have an enormous fetish towards ambushes, which can get annoying really fast as almost HALF of every corner you turn has an enemy waiting to spear you in the face. The combat itself is average and quite basic, there is no parry ---> reposte like in DS, although you can use a shield to block attacks and/or dodge. There's no carry weight or stats, you only have health and stamina which can be increased through completing quests and collecting plumes scattered around the map. You have equipment in the form of weapons and armors, but the itemization is quite bad. There's only 2-3 different movesets and the weapon themselves, while there's a great amount of them, feel very similar to each other. Armor is a bit better, as the 'heavier' the armor, the slower your stamina regen and the higher your damage resistance. Could have been better though.

You can also equip Talismans, which give you small bonuses such as reducing stamina use while sprinting or increasing your max health by a little, and Artifacts, which give a major bonus under the form of particular mechanics. The earliest you get, to make an example, is something that creates the Pursuer / Homing Soulmass balls from Dark Souls when you hit enemies without getting hit. Those are nifty and fun.

Exploration is AMAZING. There is an INSANE amount of scattered collectibles and hidden nooks containing items and bonuses. The levels are varied and vertical, parkouring feels great and allows you to get around places you initially didn't think were reachable. Unlike Dark Souls, movement is much more free and you can reach pretty much anything you see in the background. The longer you go on, the more ways you unlock to travel around. Getting to high places is really fun.

The game is tailored around a Co-Op experience, that is the reason why you're given an NPC companion incase you're playing offline, although what people didn't mention is that the option to disable the AI Companion is available from the start. Some dungeons require you to have a companion to open the entrance door, although there's a Talisman that allows you to skip that and open them on your own. Basically the game can be completed SOLO if one wishes for it.

Enemy variety is there. It's not extreme, but it's there. Too many spear throwers in my opinion though. Enviroment varies aswell, passing from mountains to forest, to a canyon filled with ash, an old underground ruin, and even an arab-like town sunk in the marshes.

I personally haven't completed the game yet, but I've heard people saying that the avg length you're gonna play for is 20-25 hours. Not great.
As it stands, if you're a fan of Soulslike I would recommend getting the game. Otherwise, if you were interested in it but aren't completely sure, you should probably wait. Game is fun but I wouldn't deem it worthy of 40 bucks, not with its length.

If anyone has questions, do ask. In the meantime, I'll play some more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom