Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hanukkah is over and Kwanzaa is a forced meme no one actually cares about, so at this point in December, Christmas is really the only thing to discuss. :M

Codex Year of the Donut
Hanukkah is over and Kwanzaa is a forced meme no one actually cares about, so at this point in December, Christmas is really the only thing to discuss. :M
weird how such a small group of people manages to hold such a sway over western culture to the point of erasing holidays that have been observed for centuries
:updatedmytxt:

Fairfax

Arcane
weird how such a small group of people manages to hold such a sway over western culture to the point of erasing holidays that have been observed for centuries
Are you talking about what christians did to Saturnalia? :M

Codex Year of the Donut
Are you talking about what christians did to Saturnalia? :M
The holiday you're looking for is Yule.

fobia

saying happy holidays is war on christmas and almost as bad as throwing christians to the lions

I was taught that "happy holidays" is a phrase used to encompass several festivities as a generic term. Seeing how there are more than one single celebration in december, it seems appropiate.
To be fair, muricans are way more religious than we are so, fair enough, I guess.

Me too. Here it is thought to encompass new years eve for example. Because you usually don't see anybody that isn't family or close between christmas and the new year.
Religious or not, you have to be a real moron if you make an issue of it.

Happy Holidays everyone! :hug:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:whatho:

It is the 21st of December, it is okay to wish everyone a Merry Fucking Christmas. Jeez.

Who the heck is their social media manager?

Someone who understands that the concept behind the Outer Worlds is that everything has become corporate branding nonsense and decided to play off that by phrasing their holiday tweet appropriately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillon

Arcane
Happy upcoming
mystery.png
deathday
mystery.png

imweasel

It is the 21st of December, it is okay to wish everyone a Merry Fucking Christmas.

Someone who understands that the concept behind the Outer Worlds is that everything has become corporate branding nonsense and decided to play off that by phrasing their holiday tweet appropriately?
Sure. Uh huh. :roll:

The Real Fanboy
That art is soo good! I’m getting legit Norman Rockwell on an alien planet far from home feelings (btw thank you Lana del Rey and ‘Venice Bitch’ for introducing me to the artist so I could even make the reference)

Happy holidays!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:whatho:

It is the 21st of December, it is okay to wish everyone a Merry Fucking Christmas. Jeez.

Who the heck is their social media manager?

Not saying it's not just Obsidian being PC, but that tweet is also supposed to be a fake corporate message, so...

But yeah, christards butthurt about "happy holidays" and their made up "christmas" are hilarious. Yeah, not everyone gives a shit about your made up holidays, cry some more.
I come from a predominantly orthodox eastern-european shithole and even there the term "happy holidays" exists and it's used to cover all the winter holidays, typically used towards people you're not seeing often enough to be able to give them a specific wish for each holiday.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Did Obsidian wish profitable Hanukkkah and jihadious Ramadan when it was their turn, though?

It has very little to do with actual religion just like celebrating Christmas has little to do with Jesus getting his jewish birth certificate and thus not being able to run for president in USA. Huge majority of people who celebrate Christmas in west do it for cultural and culinary reasons. Not respecting your own, domestic culture (Obsidian is american company after all and without west and western cuckstomers they'd go the way of dodo) is in pure power politics terms an act of submission, betrayal and cuckoldry.

And so let me do what Obs is too afraid to do:

santa.png
santa.png
santa.png

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HAPPY NEW INCLINED YEAR!
santa.png
santa.png
santa.png

Sannom

Augur
Chinese, I presume? The "holidays" in "happy holidays" also refer to the New Year. English just happens to be cursed with names that all reference religion for some reason, Christmas, Holidays, Godfather, Godmother, etc.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Christmas is the only relevant holiday at this time of the year.

Even godless heretics celebrate Christmas still because Christ is too top tier to deny the power of. They'll talk shit but they'll be wrestling with their big pine tree in two weeks time when they need to throw it out.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Even godless heretics celebrate Christmas still because Christ is too top tier to deny the power of. They'll talk shit but they'll be wrestling with their big pine tree in two weeks time when they need to throw it out.

Considering it's an European tradition and predates Christianity it's no wonder. Even the Church figures found it very meaningful and valuable.

Not that this is something against Christianity, bible doesn't exactly shun local traditions.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
People today celebrate neither the winter solstice nor the birth of christ anyway, when they celebrate at all, so who cares.
On ne comprend absolument rien à la civilisation moderne si l'on n'admet pas d'abord qu'elle est une conspiration universelle contre toute espèce de vie intérieure.
Deal with it.
:positive:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm going to wait until I see some real gameplay before I judge on this one. Tim and Leonard have the ability to do really awesome FPS stuff (see Bloodlines). And the fact that they've been working on this for so long says to me that there's a good possibility of it being a good game.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The whole book is about how automatisation & globalized economy turns people into tools and puts the machine in charge. Left without even the time needed for meditation & introspection, the modern slave is cut from God.
Modern christmas customs (or easter, or halloween... yet other calendar celebrations of our cosmos recuperated by the church) is a sheer reflection of this acute analysis.
I'm not saying there's no place for a traditional approach of this special communion that Christmas is (next time I'll add "most" in front of "people" if you want), just like it was still very much possible to celebrate the sun in the Vth century, in Rome, bastion of traditional polytheism.
Still, there's an observable mutation nowadays. It transpires through these celebrations which are, yet again, recuperated by the rising system of beliefs. Or rather absence of beliefs. Whether you accept it or not weighs as much as the intransigeant resistance of the city of Rome towards the amazing popularity of christianism.
Maybe this quote specifically felt unrelated, and it probably is, but I just really like it.
:positive:

Generic-Giant-Spider

New Year is an excuse to get drunk and remind your family why they excommunicated you for five years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom