Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is this a survival game or does it have real rpg content (quests, npcs, shit to do besides grind and farm, craft shit)? Does it have a good, or any, chardev system?

Could one of you kids use your words like a big boy to answer this instead of your buttons please?

Is this a survival game or does it have real rpg content (quests, npcs, shit to do besides grind and farm, craft shit)? Does it have a good, or any, chardev system?
Nothing of the sort.
Character development is just equipping RNG given "cards" and swapping them out whenever you feel like it while being hardcapped by base stats, which let you choose an amount of cards specific to their stat and how many you can equip/if you can even equip them.

Besides that, otherwise you can either follow shitty audiologs while children scream in your ears, or you either just grind +1 level copy paste mobs that might drop better loot so you can grind said monsters faster.
Crafting is pretty much worthless, the "survival" elements are just a bother similar to every single "survival" game where you have to shove three cows down your throat every day to not have an early death of malnutrition and cooperation is simply not good as the difficulty is laughable and sharing loot is dumb.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the issue, beyond the discussion around the engine, it’s an issue of a practice of
I hate this non-programmer idea that game engines are like real life engines and eventually they just get too old.
The OS you're using has code in it that's decades old, does that mean your OS needs thrown out?
Game engines do get too old. That is why they have to release new versions of the engine every few years.

The thing is, Gamebryo is not Bethesda's engine, Bethesda bought the rights to use it, but they didn't make it. Since Bethesda didn't make the engine, they seem incapable of releasing proper new versions of it. Instead of having a new version, they change a bit here and there. It is not a new version, it is an "update".

It would be the same as trying to use Windows 95 still, even with all the service packs and updates, but it can't compare to any more recent Windows version. Because sooner or later you reach a limit, you can't update anymore, you have to shake the foundations and change too much that it requires a different version. Keeping updating it won't do anymore.

Creation Engine is an updated Gamebryo, but it is updated enough that Bethesda decided to give it a new name (also because like I said, they don't own Gamebryo). They updated quite a few things, but they still left too much of the old foundations. It's still plagued by engine bugs from Morrowind, the first Bethesda game using Gamebryo.
Creation Engine also has another disadvantage compared to other "modern" engines, it's losing it's "charm". It might look good, but it is too buggy internally, and players are getting tired of the same old bugs in every Bethesda game.

The only advantage of Creation Engine is how easy it is to use, and how easy it is for modders to work with it.
But Bethesda seems to be pushing that second advantage to it's limits. Since Fallout 4 already introduced a lot of restrictions for modders.
Luckily the team of F4SE are always hard at work to offer this amazing external tool to facilitate the modders job. Without it, most mods would be reskins or replacers.
Fallout 4 is the Bethesda game with more hardcoded stuff and modding limits since Bethesda started offering Construction Kits with Morrowind.

If Bethesda changed engines now, they would take two or three times more to make a game than they do, it would also cost several times more to make a game. It's not a sound investment in terms of profit. They confirmed that Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls are using Creation Engine. I don't know why the fans seems surprised that they would still use it.

I think that the issue with Bethesda's games, beyond changing of engines or not, is with Bethesda's company culture, especially regarding engineering quality. From my own experience in writing software, to find and fix bugs, you'd need a QA department, someone (like a project manager) to prioritize them, then the issue is passed to the relevant group of devs, then once the fix is done, QA would have to validate the fix and regression testing has to be done later on. And I'd guess that all this process and organisation is broken at Bethesda and the leadership doesn't want or can't fix it.

There's an article by Shamus Young at the Escapist on that, I'll quote the relevant part below

Sadly, it’s not that simple. This isn’t a technology problem. This is a problem with the company culture, and those kinds of problems are a lot harder to correct.

The problem isn’t the bugs. Every game has bugs while it’s being developed. What counts is how you deal with them, and I suspect Bethesda’s bug-fixing machinery is neglected and broken. Either management doesn’t care, or the leadership doesn’t know how to correct their process.

Every company has a slightly different procedure for dealing with software bugs. Some developers like Valve and Blizzard use an iterative process of constant playtesting, which would necessitate continuous bug fixing. Other developers save the debugging for last, which means if they run out of time then the bug-fixing stage gets cut short. (I’ve always suspected that Obsidian Entertainment is the latter kind of developer.) Some development teams have people dedicated to debugging, while others have the entire programming staff share the burden.

Tracking and fixing software bugs is a long and complex process. You need a robust team of dedicated people to exhaustively test the software and identify the problems. These reports go into a database where they can be described, categorized, and prioritized. Then those problems can be investigated by the programmers who will enact a fix. Then the new version of the software is provided to the testers, and they can make sure the problem really is fixed for all known cases. If it isn’t, it gets sent back to the coding staff for another go. This is a complex process that can involve dozens of people.

It’s not like bugs are limited to their engine. The new Bethesda game launcher apparently shows the same lack of stability and penchant for odd behavior that infects their games.

Maybe the Bethesda debugging and testing process is broken and things are getting marked as fixed without being reviewed first. Maybe there’s no discipline and programmers can add features whenever they want, thus creating fresh bugs in areas that have already been tested and approved for release. Maybe programmers are free to select which bugs they want to tackle so you end up with a few that are ignored because nobody wants to deal with them. Maybe the process works fine, but the team isn’t given enough time to do it properly. Maybe their system of organizing bugs is so terrible and confusing that important issues get lost in the shuffle. Maybe they don’t have enough testers, or the testers aren’t thorough enough to find all the problems. Maybe the team just doesn’t care, because management doesn’t care, because the bugs don’t seem to hurt sales.

Whatever the cause of the dysfunction, Bethesda’s janky engine is a symptom of the problem, not the cause. If management put a priority on fixing their development process and was willing to spend money to make sure the software was stable, then it would happen. Bethesda employs smart people. The job could get done. If management isn’t willing to take those steps, then a new engine would turn out exactly like the current one.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Game engines do get too old. That is why they have to release new versions of the engine every few years.

The thing is, Gamebryo is not Bethesda's engine, Bethesda bought the rights to use it, but they didn't make it. Since Bethesda didn't make the engine, they seem incapable of releasing proper new versions of it. Instead of having a new version, they change a bit here and there. It is not a new version, it is an "update".

It would be the same as trying to use Windows 95 still, even with all the service packs and updates, but it can't compare to any more recent Windows version. Because sooner or later you reach a limit, you can't update anymore, you have to shake the foundations and change too much that it requires a different version. Keeping updating it won't do anymore.

Creation Engine is an updated Gamebryo, but it is updated enough that Bethesda decided to give it a new name (also because like I said, they don't own Gamebryo). They updated quite a few things, but they still left too much of the old foundations. It's still plagued by engine bugs from Morrowind, the first Bethesda game using Gamebryo.
Creation Engine also has another disadvantage compared to other "modern" engines, it's losing it's "charm". It might look good, but it is too buggy internally, and players are getting tired of the same old bugs in every Bethesda game.

The only advantage of Creation Engine is how easy it is to use, and how easy it is for modders to work with it.
But Bethesda seems to be pushing that second advantage to it's limits. Since Fallout 4 already introduced a lot of restrictions for modders.
Luckily the team of F4SE are always hard at work to offer this amazing external tool to facilitate the modders job. Without it, most mods would be reskins or replacers.
Fallout 4 is the Bethesda game with more hardcoded stuff and modding limits since Bethesda started offering Construction Kits with Morrowind.

If Bethesda changed engines now, they would take two or three times more to make a game than they do, it would also cost several times more to make a game. It's not a sound investment in terms of profit. They confirmed that Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls are using Creation Engine. I don't know why the fans seems surprised that they would still use it.

This inspired me to point out something. One of the reasons everything suffers in these games is they are trying to compete in the console market while also being cheapasses there too. This is the most devastating aspect to the game and why all the restrictions modders face.

Putting side outsourcing. The devs seem to only get better relative to themselves. This creates a tail chasing effect. Everything gets stalled.

Just as an odd side note, I looked at this video when it was posted in this thread and now it seems like there are a fuckton more "BETHESDA SCREWS UP AGAIN!!! NUKA DARK RUM DISASTER???" videos hopping on the bandwagon. I suppose it's not really that odd of a side note, it's just that I don't usually give a shit or pay much attention to things like that and I'm only vaguely noticing it since Youtube's trying to point me toward similar videos now.

If you’re a player who used mods and got banned, Bethesda assigned you homework to do:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/1...to-write-personal-essays?ch=10&share=e2f90cd2

Bethesda has been banning users for using mods for Fallout 76 has been making the rounds. Banning for mods in general is kind of a strange thing, as some are used just for getting better accessibility or performance out of software. When these modders tried pleading this case to Bethesda's customer service however, the representatives apparently assigned them homework instead.

The video, created by YouTuber JuiceHead, explains that people who were banned received an email back from Bethesda support asking for an essay about why mods are bad. Allegedly, the email sent back says "If you would like to appeal this account closure, we would be willing to accept an essay on ‘Why the use of third party cheat software is detrimental to an online game community’ for our management team to review."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reinhardt

Arcane
If someone tell me Bethesda banned him and forced him to sacrifice kittens IRL if he wants ban to be lifted at this point i will believe.

Beastro

Arcane
PvP in MMOs.

And in case that seems weird to you consider the time. Most of us had 56ks and the rich kids all had cable or dsl.

Playing UO, for example was a mess. Playing DaOC? A mess. Playing anything in a PvP MMO was a mess if ypu had a 56k. I had the most fun in PvE.

Second, I don’t get what people get out of playing a game with griefers. Games like Rust just seem like jerk simulators. If that’s your bag, that’s fine. But it seems mightily retarded. So to me ur just having fun jn a retarded way. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t make it less retarded.

Speaking at someone who's usually terrible at MMO PvP, I still loved it if only for the atmosphere is created it in early MMOs.

Nothing is like the Rallos Zek server and never will be again. You can make a game that completely imitates it and it would still fail because it lacks the server's culture that made it so unique.

tl;dr: Almost no one wants to play an , anti-PK now and all that went along with it.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Those Bethesdards actually did it. They sold Christmast items on "sale" with the price of 1200 atoms, and now they are selling it at it's true full price, which is...1200 atmos.

Scammers bastards.

Beastro

Arcane
Those Bethesdards actually did it. They sold Christmast items on "sale" with the price of 1200 atoms, and now they are selling it at it's true full price, which is...1200 atmos.

Scammers bastards.

I get a feeling more and more that many companies don't understand what a business is and the "game" of playing it. They seem to be devolving into a state on the verge of being organized crime wishing they could just force people to give them money for nothing in return.

Same thing is happening with MMA in the UFC with the endless hype, reinventing of history and ignoring the drug use of the big sellers like on Jon Jones.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Scammers bastards.

But this shill keeps streaming the game, though.

nobre

Cipher
Quirky and opinionated gaming website Daily Stormer has done some investigative journalism on why Fallout 76 sucks.

tl;dr: it was jews

Article under spoiler, direct link -> https://dailystormer.name/the-jews-did-fallout-76/

The Jews Did Fallout 76
Andrew Anglin
Daily Stormer
December 28, 2018

I wrote up a long thing about the drama surrounding the release of Bethesda Game Studio’s Fallout 76 the other day, and did not blame the Jews for it.

I typically do blame the Jews for things, because they typically tend to be responsible for everything that goes wrong on earth.

Most people are blaming game director Todd Howard for the game. It is a confirmed fact that Howard is a deviant individual, without any scruples, and who will lie constantly – pathologically, really – to his own userbase, often when it is completely unnecessary to do so.

However, despite Howard’s deviant and deranged personal nature and lack of anything resembling what we consider to be standard human morality, the fact remains that he produced many games that people actually liked. He did Elder Scrolls 3-5, as well as Fallout 3 and 4. Particularly with the Fallout games, people take issue with the fact that the franchise was destroyed, becoming no longer an RPG but a long shooter game with “RPG elements.” However, these remain enjoyable shooter games (despite the fact that the shooting itself is horrible).

So then, I found myself asking : where is the Jew who is pushing this amoral but nonetheless demonstratively talented goy Howard to destroy his own reputation in the bizarre and vicious cash-grab that is Fallout 76?

Because I know there is one somewhere.

Then I watched this shockingly optimistic review of Fallout 76 by Camelworks.

I said in my last piece that I’ve become fixated with watching these reviews, and Camelworks’ thing is much more sympathetic than most. He goes through and says that the world itself is one of the best he’s seen in a game ever, and also says that he was able to run it on high-res, something that most are saying they can’t do even with $3,000 machines.

He of course condemns it as a completely unplayable game, but everyone is saying that, save a few randos who appear to be trolling. He says the fault of the game is mainly in the fact that it is unfinished, and is so filled with bugs that it is unplayable. Like everyone else, he takes issue with the storyline (which he uniquely claims actually exists) as well as the lack of NPCs and the basic mechanics of the online integration, which involve random servers and your base disappearing every time you start. However, even all of these issues he indicates he believes are a result of releasing an unfinished game – that is to say, they built the world and then were getting ready to figure out the NPCs and storyline, figure out a way to make online play make sense and fix the bugs – but (((someone))) who knows nothing about games but makes these kinds of decisions was like “nah, just release it now – no need for a storyline or a working game, the goyim will pay $60 for anything with our logos on it.”

I had not heard this take, but it actually makes the most sense. Much more sense than the idea that the entire team sat around plotting to ripoff their own users.

Though I certainly have not played it, I have watched many hours of gameplay and many reviews and it makes perfect sense that this was a half-finished game, intended to include many other elements, which was rushed to release by someone other than the game designers and developers.

Again, though not without talent, Todd Howard is a deviant trickster and a beta male who could easily be bullied by a Jew into taking this bizarre action.

So where is the Jew? There isn’t one at Bethesda.

Well, Camelworks happened to mention that he thinks the game was probably rushed by executives at their parent company Zenimax Media.

Let’s see here.

Zenimax Media…

Okay, so let’s check the CEO…

Yeah…

Found him.

Robert Altman is the Jew responsible for Fallout 76.

He is a Jew lawyer who is married to Wonder Woman star Lynda Carter for some reason. That Wonder Woman was not Jewish.

And if you’re wondering why this Jew isn’t working in finance – it’s because he’s banned from working in finance by the government after being called to testify before Congress with regards to an off-shore lending scam he engaged in with wealthy Arab investors.

He founded Zenimax in 1999 with the goyish founder of Bethesda, Christopher Weaver, who he then quickly pushed out of the company. Weaver sued Altman over this move, but ended up settling out of court when it became clear that no goy on earth can defeat an organized army of Jew lawyers.

The Jew Altman is now the supreme leader of Zenimax and thus Bethesda, and I have zero doubt that this is exactly what happened:

• An online Fallout game was pitched and planned.
  • Bethesda went to work on developing an online Fallout game.
  • A little less than halfway through the development process, before the textures were added, before the story was fleshed out, before the NPCs had been added and long before the bug fixing had even began, Altman said “I want this game out for Xmas.”
  • Todd Howard said, “you don’t mean this Christ… uh, Xmas, do you master?” and Altman replied, “indeed I do, my loyal goy servant.”
  • Howard, serving his Jew master like Darth Vader serves the Emperor, went ahead and forced his team to create some kind of possibly releasable version of the game on a vastly shortened timeline, instructing them to cut NPCs and just use a bunch of notes and a few Holotapes to tell the story. I also imagine that they had originally intended to include factions (Brotherhood, Enclave, Supermutants, etc.), and have PvP work in the same way that it works in World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG, but didn’t have time to figure that out either, hence the nonsensical PvP system the game was shipped with.
  • Howard presented the game at E3 in June.
  • The team told Altman that no one would buy the game, and so he instructed them to do the pre-order scam.
  • The game was released in time for Christmas, with the preorder oversold as including a “beta,” and the rest is history.
This narrative makes vastly more sense than the idea that the game was initially designed to simply scam the fanbase.

There is a possibility that it wouldn’t have been very good, and I imagine that it would have included microtransactions, including Lootboxes and all the other typical scams (or maybe a monthly subscription model), but it was surely intended to be a game with a story – including NPCs – and functional mechanics, a functional PvP system, graphical improvements and fewer bugs.

This is really no different than the Jews progressively turning Star Wars into a cash-grab – because Fallout 4 was a cash-grab too, arguably – and like with the Star Wars films, the games have progressively degraded, to the point where they are losing money.

The Jews just cannot help themselves.

So to those confused about the situation with this horrible fake game, I will remind you all of the Daily Stormer official slogan: “Every. Single. Time.”

Turjan

Arcane

Scammers bastards.

Yeah, that was last week. Someone at Bethesda obviously recognized that what they did was illegal and changed this within a day.
Of course, that's still a level of incompetence that is hard to believe from one of the larger players on the gaming market. On the other hand, nobody is surprised anymore at this point.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Quirky and opinionated gaming website Daily Stormer has done some investigative journalism on why Fallout 76 sucks.

tl;dr: it was jews

Article under spoiler, direct link -> https://dailystormer.name/the-jews-did-fallout-76/

The Jews Did Fallout 76
Andrew Anglin
Daily Stormer
December 28, 2018

I wrote up a long thing about the drama surrounding the release of Bethesda Game Studio’s Fallout 76 the other day, and did not blame the Jews for it.

I typically do blame the Jews for things, because they typically tend to be responsible for everything that goes wrong on earth.

Most people are blaming game director Todd Howard for the game. It is a confirmed fact that Howard is a deviant individual, without any scruples, and who will lie constantly – pathologically, really – to his own userbase, often when it is completely unnecessary to do so.

However, despite Howard’s deviant and deranged personal nature and lack of anything resembling what we consider to be standard human morality, the fact remains that he produced many games that people actually liked. He did Elder Scrolls 3-5, as well as Fallout 3 and 4. Particularly with the Fallout games, people take issue with the fact that the franchise was destroyed, becoming no longer an RPG but a long shooter game with “RPG elements.” However, these remain enjoyable shooter games (despite the fact that the shooting itself is horrible).

So then, I found myself asking : where is the Jew who is pushing this amoral but nonetheless demonstratively talented goy Howard to destroy his own reputation in the bizarre and vicious cash-grab that is Fallout 76?

Because I know there is one somewhere.

Then I watched this shockingly optimistic review of Fallout 76 by Camelworks.

I said in my last piece that I’ve become fixated with watching these reviews, and Camelworks’ thing is much more sympathetic than most. He goes through and says that the world itself is one of the best he’s seen in a game ever, and also says that he was able to run it on high-res, something that most are saying they can’t do even with $3,000 machines.

He of course condemns it as a completely unplayable game, but everyone is saying that, save a few randos who appear to be trolling. He says the fault of the game is mainly in the fact that it is unfinished, and is so filled with bugs that it is unplayable. Like everyone else, he takes issue with the storyline (which he uniquely claims actually exists) as well as the lack of NPCs and the basic mechanics of the online integration, which involve random servers and your base disappearing every time you start. However, even all of these issues he indicates he believes are a result of releasing an unfinished game – that is to say, they built the world and then were getting ready to figure out the NPCs and storyline, figure out a way to make online play make sense and fix the bugs – but (((someone))) who knows nothing about games but makes these kinds of decisions was like “nah, just release it now – no need for a storyline or a working game, the goyim will pay $60 for anything with our logos on it.”

I had not heard this take, but it actually makes the most sense. Much more sense than the idea that the entire team sat around plotting to ripoff their own users.

Though I certainly have not played it, I have watched many hours of gameplay and many reviews and it makes perfect sense that this was a half-finished game, intended to include many other elements, which was rushed to release by someone other than the game designers and developers.

Again, though not without talent, Todd Howard is a deviant trickster and a beta male who could easily be bullied by a Jew into taking this bizarre action.

So where is the Jew? There isn’t one at Bethesda.

Well, Camelworks happened to mention that he thinks the game was probably rushed by executives at their parent company Zenimax Media.

Let’s see here.

Zenimax Media…

Okay, so let’s check the CEO…

Yeah…

Found him.

Robert Altman is the Jew responsible for Fallout 76.

He is a Jew lawyer who is married to Wonder Woman star Lynda Carter for some reason. That Wonder Woman was not Jewish.

And if you’re wondering why this Jew isn’t working in finance – it’s because he’s banned from working in finance by the government after being called to testify before Congress with regards to an off-shore lending scam he engaged in with wealthy Arab investors.

He founded Zenimax in 1999 with the goyish founder of Bethesda, Christopher Weaver, who he then quickly pushed out of the company. Weaver sued Altman over this move, but ended up settling out of court when it became clear that no goy on earth can defeat an organized army of Jew lawyers.

The Jew Altman is now the supreme leader of Zenimax and thus Bethesda, and I have zero doubt that this is exactly what happened:

• An online Fallout game was pitched and planned.
  • Bethesda went to work on developing an online Fallout game.
  • A little less than halfway through the development process, before the textures were added, before the story was fleshed out, before the NPCs had been added and long before the bug fixing had even began, Altman said “I want this game out for Xmas.”
  • Todd Howard said, “you don’t mean this Christ… uh, Xmas, do you master?” and Altman replied, “indeed I do, my loyal goy servant.”
  • Howard, serving his Jew master like Darth Vader serves the Emperor, went ahead and forced his team to create some kind of possibly releasable version of the game on a vastly shortened timeline, instructing them to cut NPCs and just use a bunch of notes and a few Holotapes to tell the story. I also imagine that they had originally intended to include factions (Brotherhood, Enclave, Supermutants, etc.), and have PvP work in the same way that it works in World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG, but didn’t have time to figure that out either, hence the nonsensical PvP system the game was shipped with.
  • Howard presented the game at E3 in June.
  • The team told Altman that no one would buy the game, and so he instructed them to do the pre-order scam.
  • The game was released in time for Christmas, with the preorder oversold as including a “beta,” and the rest is history.
This narrative makes vastly more sense than the idea that the game was initially designed to simply scam the fanbase.

There is a possibility that it wouldn’t have been very good, and I imagine that it would have included microtransactions, including Lootboxes and all the other typical scams (or maybe a monthly subscription model), but it was surely intended to be a game with a story – including NPCs – and functional mechanics, a functional PvP system, graphical improvements and fewer bugs.

This is really no different than the Jews progressively turning Star Wars into a cash-grab – because Fallout 4 was a cash-grab too, arguably – and like with the Star Wars films, the games have progressively degraded, to the point where they are losing money.

The Jews just cannot help themselves.

So to those confused about the situation with this horrible fake game, I will remind you all of the Daily Stormer official slogan: “Every. Single. Time.”

So this is basically a huge:

aiEJH.gif

Mortmal

Arcane

Scammers bastards.

Yeah, that was last week. Someone at Bethesda obviously recognized that what they did was illegal and changed this within a day.
Of course, that's still a level of incompetence that is hard to believe from one of the larger players on the gaming market. On the other hand, nobody is surprised anymore at this point.

Nail on the coffin will be introducing lootboxes, something very likely to happen like for ESO. Hope for them they will get away with the judge asking them to write an essay on " Predatory commercial practices and exposing children to gambling"

Turjan

Arcane
Who would have thought. Seems it's time to start "positive" recommendation videos again.

Let's see how long it takes until we are left with only videos that praise the game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Scammers bastards.

Nail on the coffin will be introducing lootboxes, something very likely to happen like for ESO. Hope for them they will get away with the judge asking them to write an essay on " Predatory commercial practices and exposing children to gambling"

to be fair to ESO, I never bought a single lootbox but opened probably over 100 because they give them out like candy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom