Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ciox

Liturgist
Can anyone give some advice on the Balor fight? I'm a level 16 sniper/assault rifle/grenades and getting my ass kicked. Am I approaching it too early?
Pretty sure you want to divide those guys as much as possible, fight them separately, abuse the doorways by keeping stunned or trapped enemies stuck in them, and try to leave combat to recharge/etc before they all pile up on you, so you can come back with a new adrenaline rush and all cooldowns reset, the terrain and difficulty of the fight pretty much encourage all of this.
Eventually I did get through it by abusing the area entering and exiting, but it felt very cheesy.
Like I said, it's one of the few areas where it seems intentional given the layout, and since the 40 AP cost it's not that abusive anymore, you can't even leave if you're fatigued.

Goromorg

Savant
Anyone got some custom portraits for this game? I found some on underrail forum, but choice surprisingly scarce for such nice game.
You can make your own portraits very easily. Something like that
UdBDT97.png

K1MGZ69.png

Can anyone give some advice on the Balor fight? I'm a level 16 sniper/assault rifle/grenades and getting my ass kicked. Am I approaching it too early?
Gas grenades and cave ear caltrops are your best friends in areas with lots of enemies. You put them down in a doorway or around corners that people need to turn to approach you and enemies will take massive damage just getting in range. Half the time they may die just from the gas, and even if they don't they'll be hurt badly and contaminated so they'll be easy to finish. If you want you can throw a molotov too so there's ground fire doing even more damage to them.
Takes 20 biology and 20 chemistry to make gas grenades but they're worth it, even if you won't use bio/chem for anything else. You need 40 bio to make cave ear poison, but if you don't want to go that far you can just buy cave ear caltrops in shops. They're not common but they're not that hard to find either. Or you can skip them if you really want, but that +50% bio damage makes gas grenades a lot better.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's good advice and I have been using this tactic in other fights, but here there were very few bottlenecks, where I could sneak up and place a trap without being seen.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I always did Balor fight using stealth approach, last two times I even didn't eliminatet anyone except him.
What was a surprise for me once that sledgehammer+metal armore producing loud sound. :lol:
So I was need to use all tricks to escape Balor's body in time to not get caught.

Parabalus

Arcane
That's good advice and I have been using this tactic in other fights, but here there were very few bottlenecks, where I could sneak up and place a trap without being seen.

Did you try entering the building from behind?

If you CC someone at a door it works as a great choke, and splits them up since they try to run around.

Parabalus

Arcane
Just a heads up in case you didn't know, recommended levels for going into Expedition seem to be 14-15, so if you were looking to play the expansion in this playthrough you might want halt it in the next couple hours.

If you are on Domination, you may want to go there at lvl 25. :hahano:

How much harder is expeditions on DOM compared to DC DOM?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Did you try entering the building from behind?

If you CC someone at a door it works as a great choke, and splits them up since they try to run around.
I have no options for applying stun people except for flashbangs, and this has been a problem for me for some time. Also, there are *a lot* of people in that area.

What I did in the end was to clear out the two neighboring areas to the one where Balor resided. Then I would pop into his area, take out one or two enemies with snipe and aimed shot, run out of his area, circumvent and attack from a different side.

The Ironheads would waste action points running from one end of the map to the other, abd I would meet them with a couple of sniper shots, and then run. Eventually I thinned them out enough and took down Balor with a Snipe shot, and the last remaining guy ate one sniper shot, and was finished off with the assault rifle.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Just a heads up in case you didn't know, recommended levels for going into Expedition seem to be 14-15, so if you were looking to play the expansion in this playthrough you might want halt it in the next couple hours.

If you are on Domination, you may want to go there at lvl 25. :hahano:

I still never got to DC. But I swear when Expedition will be released, my Psionic will get there.

Black Angel

Arcane
Styg gib expeditions expansion plz.
Why must you do this?! Yet another thousand micro-issues appears :negative:
Cause I am no better than a Desperate Crackwhore; seeking my next fix.

I know better, but cannot resist. :(
ATOM RPG's been released for nearly 2 weeks now, go there and get your fix, you goddamn junkie!
That is like saying:
"Hey buddy, here take a beer and ease off on the crack."

Tygrende

Arbiter
Hard to compare. DC doesn't really have all that much combat if you are neutral to faceless and figure out how to avoid tchortlings. Black Sea on the other hand is pretty much like the rest of the game, full of enemies you can at best stealth by.

Personally I went there at level 16 on DOMINATING. I was doing trips back to the base game areas from time to time and was at level 26 when I was mostly done with Black Sea. Didn't have that much trouble (about as tough as I expected it to be, maybe a bit more, some really hard fights here and there) but it was manageable.

I think the biggest factor is your build, like usual. I recall Fenix's build had trouble with a fight my build didn't have too much trouble with, it just so happens that fight was an early one. I imagine he also had an easy time with some fights I found difficult.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Where can i buy flares?

I'm stuck with crawlers cuz my detection is too low (even with goggles), and for some reason flares disappeared from every merchant. So far i checked merchants at SGS, junkyard, Core city and the foundry.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Where can i buy flares?

I'm stuck with crawlers cuz my detention is too low (even with goggles), and for some reason flares disappeared from every merchant. So far i checked merchants at SGS, junkyard, Core city and the foundry.
Just checked for a bit, Kendrick (one of the 3 vendors at the first section of Junkyard, near the bar) sells some. Weird that literally no one in SGS sells it, despite the guy who keep watch of the double gate to the caves would reminds you to throw flares when surrounded by Rathounds.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Where can i buy flares?

I'm stuck with crawlers cuz my detection is too low (even with goggles), and for some reason flares disappeared from every merchant. So far i checked merchants at SGS, junkyard, Core city and the foundry.
They may also have them at camp Hathor.

Btw, I've been having similar problems with death stalkers, and even flares wouldn't help. But the I was lvl 14 and the death stalkers are 20.

Goromorg

Savant
I have found that the easiest way to deal with death stalkers is to wear riot gear, pig leather boots, lifting belt and low frequency shield. Conditioning and stoicism feats are also good for that.

The BEST way to deal with them is bear traps, particularly via quick tinkering. Tasers are nice too. Anything to get that sweet sweet 95%.

Anyway, off the top of my head, the fat general store merchant in foundry should have some. I never pay too much attention because I'm always drowning in the damn things.

ciox

Liturgist
Also you're often good just running away from them and letting the stun happen, if you got suprised and poisoned, they stay in stealth mode which means their movement is slowed down, if you are squishy you're better off not reducing your HP to 1 by eating an antidote and then ALSO fighting them while dazed...
Only requirement is an ok amount of movement points.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If you have high stealth you could try "box" - set traps around yourself, all 8 tiles and unstealth. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom