Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God Tier RPGs/Games of the past few years

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Swigen

Arbiter
I can only think of Pathfinder: Kingmaker and the latest Dark Souls for god-tier in the past few years.

And try to calm yourselves while reading this: I want someone to explain to me why ELEX is so popular... I only played it when it came out and while it had amazing worldbuilding, its progression and economy seemed completely arbitraty. I must be missing something.
Gothic 1 was great, Gothic 2 was god-tier for me but ELEX just felt unfinished at Gothic 3 levels of unfinished. Starting out, from what I remember, everything was hard as expected, suddenly I found a random weapon and got a skill and everything became trivial. I never cared for the economy, class or secondary skills - they just seemed more decorative than having practical value. Did they patch it significantly afterwards?

I’m coming from consoles, I’d been used to jrpgs, Bethesda shit, and The Witcher 3 so playing a game like ELEX where stats matter, equipment matters, you’re not king shit right off, all made an impression on me. You’re not gonna experience all the content in one go and choices you make storywise and skill wise effect your play through as well as the ending. I thought the setting/ world building/ atmosphere was unique and the music was the shit.

TL;DR: I like it cuz I haven’t played a lot of cRPGs and ELEX received patches fixing performance, gameplay, difficulty settings, etc http://updatecrazy.com/elex-update-1-03-brings-fixes-and-changes-patch-notes/

Generic-Giant-Spider

GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR

Everything else is just a game.

(I liked Kingmaker/Kingdom Come l0ts)

And try to calm yourselves while reading this: I want someone to explain to me why ELEX is so popular... I only played it when it came out and while it had amazing worldbuilding, its progression and economy seemed completely arbitraty. I must be missing something.
Gothic 1 was great, Gothic 2 was god-tier for me but ELEX just felt unfinished at Gothic 3 levels of unfinished. Starting out, from what I remember, everything was hard as expected, suddenly I found a random weapon and got a skill and everything became trivial. I never cared for the economy, class or secondary skills - they just seemed more decorative than having practical value. Did they patch it significantly afterwards?

Did the weapon/skill you find have to do with guns/ranged/magic? Because this has always been a thing with Piranha Bytes games, even in Gothic 2 you can easily use those to cheese/dominate. But I played ELEX with a melee build (the way PB games are meant to be played) and never had those balance issues.

The reason ELEX is so good is it has most of the magic of a PB game, while bringing new things to the table (vertical exploration with the jet-pack, quantity and quality of quests and C&C). It has something like 500 quests, most of which can be done in different ways, and have different consequences. It also has a unique setting, a really well done and interesting world, great exploration, and non-cookie-cutter factions.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
God Tier:
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
Pool of Radiance
Das Schwarze Auge: Sternenschweif

Honorable mentions but not really that close to God Tier:
The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Fallout
Dungeon Master
Planescape: Torment
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Joking aside, if we define 'few years' as 2 or 3, then the only cRPGs really worth mentioning are Kingmaker and Deadfire. Both are only decent, not God Tier. NB: I have not played Kenshi yet, so I do not have an opinion on it.

Last edited:

user

Savant

Did the weapon/skill you find have to do with guns/ranged/magic? Because this has always been a thing with Piranha Bytes games, even in Gothic 2 you can easily use those to cheese/dominate. But I played ELEX with a melee build (the way PB games are meant to be played) and never had those balance issues.

The reason ELEX is so good is it has most of the magic of a PB game, while bringing new things to the table (vertical exploration with the jet-pack, quantity and quality of quests and C&C). It has something like 500 quests, most of which can be done in different ways, and have different consequences. It also has a unique setting, a really well done and interesting world, great exploration, and non-cookie-cutter factions.

Yes, definitely was magic or ranged. Don't remember which though, but I remember I could spam it and kill anything. Everything about world building was great, quests, factions, exploration, areas etc, I loved these. But I remember having so much stuff/elex I didn't particularly care to get wealth/explore for items. And the other thing that put me off was that I remember that secondary skills, attributes, perks etc weren't impactful/useful. I want to give it another shot at some point.

Oracsbox

Elex,Witcher and Kingdom Come are not God tier yes you might like the world building and writing or whatever but they're clunky as fuck to play.

The economy in them is usually broken in about 5 minutes although that's true for most games. The Witchers inventory is horrific,combat for all of them isn't great or is just straight up crap.Kingdom Come still shits itself with some quests being easily broken.I could go on..

I enjoyed them but they have a lot of flaws and God Tier to me is flawless.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Last few years meaning 2016-18?
Nothing is God tier.

DS3 is very good.
D:OSII is okay.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is okay.

You've inspired me to give Kenshi a shot. I probably won't have time to really delve into it for... oh God, probably a bit over a year at the very least... and I want to do it justice, so I'll wait.

Name a flawless CRPG and I'll eat my own clitoris.

Jason Liang

Arcane
God Tier:
Rance X
Rance 03
Invisible Inc
Dragonfall

Honorabul Mention:
Darkest Dungeon
Path of Exile
Magic the Gathering: Arena
Elminage Gothic
Ultimate General Civil War
Shadow Tactics
EU IV
Age of Decadence (barely)

I consider these recent

Last edited:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
God tier:

Darksouls 3
Prey
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Divinity Original sin 2 (in parts anyway)
Binding of Isaac - Afterbirth (or w/e the final version is called)
Re2 remake (even though people complain it's short, it's polished).
ELEX
Dead Cells

That's all the 'recent' god tier games imo

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Good games from the age of hemi-semi-demi-Incline:

Legend of Grimrock (2012)
Paper Sorceror (2013)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2013/2016)
Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
Underrail (2015)
Age of Decadence (2015)
Salt & Sanctuary (2016)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016)
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018)
Kenshi (2018)

kA3m1cp.png

Modron

Arcane
How recent is recent, would Drakensang: The River of Time not count at 8 years old?

Underrail
Fallout Nevada
Expeditions Viking
Heroine's Quest
Age of Decadence
Fallout Resurrection
ATOM RPG
Blackguards
The Quest
Dragon's Dogma
Shadowrun: Dragonfall maybe

Honorable mentions include Elex and Insomnia the Ark.

*Haven't played Pathfinder yet.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ghost of a Tale
The Nameless Mod
West of Loathing
Trails of something something go play Falcom games they are the best thing to come out of Japan since the California roll
Enderal and Nehrim for the setting
Sabres of Infinity
Sorcery!
Dark Souls 3 was the best Dark Souls

I was going to write Hollow Knight but instead I'll just write the entire genre of indie platformer jumpy things that was started with Braid in 2006 and Cave Story before that and has more or less gone unbaited.

There's so fucking many of the things and they are mostly pretty good because it seems liek as long as you make good looking art it is literally impossible to fuck up those games as a game developer, Ori and the Blind Forest etc

Yakuza 0 was probably the most hilarious shit though but I can't really defend the gameplay, but the stories have me in tears. Most enjoyment I've ever had playing a video game I'll be honest

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Of the most recent titles I'd list these among the god-tier:

Witcher 3, especially with superior expansions
Age of Decadence
Elex (despite many flaws)
Fallout of Nevada (despite unfinished translation).

This year I intend to play Atom and Kingdom Come, so maybe I will add them to the list.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
I'd say Age of Decadence, Underrail and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Honourable mention for Expeditions: Viking.

Black Angel

Arcane
I’m coming from consoles, I’d been used to jrpgs, Bethesda shit, and The Witcher 3 so playing a game like ELEX where stats matter, equipment matters, you’re not king shit right off, all made an impression on me. You’re not gonna experience all the content in one go and choices you make storywise and skill wise effect your play through as well as the ending. I thought the setting/ world building/ atmosphere was unique and the music was the shit.

TL;DR: I like it cuz I haven’t played a lot of cRPGs and ELEX received patches fixing performance, gameplay, difficulty settings, etc http://updatecrazy.com/elex-update-1-03-brings-fixes-and-changes-patch-notes/
Oh boy, you're in for a treat with Gothic 1&2, then. I'm jealous af rn.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Elex,Witcher and Kingdom Come are not God tier yes you might like the world building and writing or whatever but they're clunky as fuck to play.

The economy in them is usually broken in about 5 minutes although that's true for most games. The Witchers inventory is horrific,combat for all of them isn't great or is just straight up crap.Kingdom Come still shits itself with some quests being easily broken.I could go on..

A flawless game can still be mediocre. God tier to me means that it pushes boundaries in atleast one gamedesign element while not completely failing in another, rendering its strengths meaningless. That doesnt mean it may not have any flaws at all.

Cael

Arcane
God tier games of the last few years: *crickets*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom