Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am having issues when running this on Win 10. Mouse and menus are very laggy.

Running with double buffer on an high-res patch on.

When I try to run the game with DDrawcompat wrapper, it will not run at all.

Any obvious fixes I am missing to get it to run smooth?

Try to reinstall the whole thing (First, unistall game and modification/modifications inside the installation directory. Also, get rid of any files that may have stubbornily remained, after the uninstall process).

This is what I did in my machine (Win 10 Pro), and the game is running very well (I'm about to leave Shrouded Hills, after finishing multiple quests, and I had zero crashes, or lag):

- Downloaded, and installed Gog's version (probably the best $3 dollars purchase, in the store, btw).
- Downloaded the AME torrent. Started the .exe file.
- Selected the same folder where "Arcanum.exe" is located, in the option to define where the files will be copied to.
- Changed settings, according to my preference (text language, skip intro or not, etc).
- Disabled the autoupdate feature, because I hate automatic downloads (for the most part, it annoys me).
- Opened the folder "Arcanum Multiverse Edition", then "update_AME".
- Ran the file "update.exe".

Here is my configuration, if you're interested:

I'll probably change the camera scroll speed, next time I play, because I'm not completely satisfied about it. :|

Well, there you have it, I wish you good luck.

Macbeth

Scholar
Ok, step by step...

It is then I realized that the pyro axe was changed. Deemed to be cheaty, not only his dps were nerfed, but also now requires fuel to do its job - basically they gutted the weapon thinking that it was too strong, and as such they nerfed what made tech special.
That's your subjective opinion. Some people prefer easy paths. They want everything to be easy. We are not one of them.
Put up with.

nerfed what made tech special.
Yeah. Cheats make tech special. :salute: (no, they are not)
But well, we can't make everyone be happy.

I also asked to compare Tech with Magic and they said magic was left untouched - so you know, if you're tech, get fucked.
You distorted my words.
That's what I told you:
Power of magic is a systematic issue. Power of some weapons is a specific issue. We can "play" with some items balances in AME, but so great changes as magic will be for a real MOD. SEM - is a mod for AME.
SEM will be the next evolution of AME.

game envisioned by the developers, not touched in some spots to appease the sensivity of people that find some weapons unbalanced.
Play vanilla and be happy! Why do you accept that some things ARE bugs, not features that should be fixed, and another ARE NOT bugs/cheats and that's was Troika deliberate idea?
I know the answer. You WANT some of them being bugs and you DO NOT want another to be bugs. No one knows exactly what Troika thought.
We decided ourselves according to logic and our vision. Find Tim Cain and ask him. We will return the power of the axe if he says that it should be like in original.

Another bug I met was with Bedokaans - telling the poachers their coordinate made them not kill every bedokaan inside the camp, even if you get teleported here... so basically there were bedokaans and poachers all together (a bit far from each other, bedokaans near the elf, and poachers in the spot they should be).
Not even the elf was murdered.
I told you before. That is original bug that happens from time to time. The same scripts used in UAP. We fixed it.
You're trying to find any bug and shout that it's from AME. So everyone may think that AME is full of bugs. Shame on you.

There is another thing too: you can't refuse selling the ring to Gilbert Bates. As such, if you're using the new debug menu by Drog (2.0) you are going to regret every time you talk to GB with the ring, given that the option to not sell it disappeared. So, you'd better drop the ring before talking to Bates.
That is dialogue from original & UAP & AME. All the same. Show me what answer absent in your game?
Bates: {170}{Oh, one more thing ... I would like to purchase my ring back from you. I'd give you 200 coins. It would mean quite a bit to me, my father gave it to me before he died.}{Oh, one more thing ... I would like to purchase my ring back from you. I'd give you 200 coins. It would mean quite a bit to me, my father gave it to me before he died.}{}{180}{}{}
{171}{Certainly. Here it is.}{}{5}{in 2804}{180}{in 2804, $$200, re+10}
{172}{I don't have it here, but I will bring it when I return.}{}{5}{ni2804}{180}{lf 2 1}
{173}{That is not enough.}{}{5}{in 2804, ha -11}{190}{re -10}
{174}{300 would be better for me.}{}{5}{in 2804, ha 12}{220}{}
Bates: {180}{Much obliged. I will speak with you when you return.}{Much obliged. I will speak with you when you return.}{}{14}{}{}

As for Alexander and dark elves, AS I SAID before in Discord, we will test it and let you know whose bug it is.
Maybe you are thinking that 1.0.7.4 or UAP are perfect? They are not. In our logs to any update it is written what is the source of any bug/issue.

You would not find these bugs in UAP
Lying. Did you compare? We did it for you.
You are pissed off only because of the axe. All other claims to AME were created automatically.
Anyway thank you for finding ORIGINAL bugs. Next time if you find a bug, write PM and don't shout on several forums. You may know that story with a boy and wolves...
Now you may play UAP, I'm fine with it.

As always when it comes to Arcanum, Drog was right:
So, you're like a poll-parrot, just repeating the words of the guy who never played. Like you do. Bravo. In this case your opinion costs nothing nor for me, nor for anyone else.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Macbeth, are you able to remove the reaction modifier discount cap? I noticed it caps round 100 reaction; reaction can still go up but the discount you get from shopkeepers does not go down.

Macbeth

Scholar
deama, Discount depends not on the value of reaction, but from its degree. 100 = Love. All what is more - is still Love. The game doesn't assume degree higher than Love.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If your shit crashes on start in win 10 + nvidia. Disable gsync that was added in recent drivers.

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There is another thing too: you can't refuse selling the ring to Gilbert Bates. As such, if you're using the new debug menu by Drog (2.0) you are going to regret every time you talk to GB with the ring, given that the option to not sell it disappeared. So, you'd better drop the ring before talking to Bates.
That is dialogue from original & UAP & AME. All the same. Show me what answer absent in your game?
Bates: {170}{Oh, one more thing ... I would like to purchase my ring back from you. I'd give you 200 coins. It would mean quite a bit to me, my father gave it to me before he died.}{Oh, one more thing ... I would like to purchase my ring back from you. I'd give you 200 coins. It would mean quite a bit to me, my father gave it to me before he died.}{}{180}{}{}
{171}{Certainly. Here it is.}{}{5}{in 2804}{180}{in 2804, $$200, re+10}
{172}{I don't have it here, but I will bring it when I return.}{}{5}{ni2804}{180}{lf 2 1}
{173}{That is not enough.}{}{5}{in 2804, ha -11}{190}{re -10}
{174}{300 would be better for me.}{}{5}{in 2804, ha 12}{220}{}
Bates: {180}{Much obliged. I will speak with you when you return.}{Much obliged. I will speak with you when you return.}{}{14}{}{}
Strange that the options are not appearing, in his game.
I'm doing a playthrough, and I can confirm. I was able to refuse his offer.
You've to pretend the ring is not being carried by you (fortunately he's naive, it's not hard to convince him). So leaving it in a hotel's (for example) dresser / nightstand is not required, to avoid selling it.
If you keep saying his offer isn't good enough, after he admits his hearing deteriorated through the years, he will change his mind and order you to give him the ring (with a penalty to his Reaction score).

Since you're here Macbeth, I have something to report.
Something bizarre happened in Shrouded Hills, while I was playing:

In the quest to help the alchemist, Jongle Dunne, he asked me to destroy the steam engine, because it was affecting his life negatively.
I exploded the machine with dynamite, the dwarf lost his shit and went after me, and Virgil.
Instead of murdering him, I ran to the exit and spared him (I had already cleaned the building from all the rodents, so it was easy to escape).
Then I saved, outdoors.
After loading the game, suddenly all the guards in the town, and other characters, like Owens, had the highest opinion for my character, he was loved by them, and their Reaction score was very high (I can't remember the exact value they had).

I restarted the quest, using an older save, and this time I got rid of both the steam engine, and the dwarf.

The second time the main character's reputation changed like this, was right after I killed the grumpy Archibald (I tried getting the ring peacefully, for the old lady, but my character is not very charismatic, so I had to 'persuade' him, in another way), in Dernholm. I was forced to reload an older save, again.

I had to be very careful about my surroundings, because if someone saw the battle, I'd be so screwed. I asked Virgil to attack him, and ran to the shore (to the right, of The Pit), far from the houses. When we were close to the water, I started my attack. So whatever triggered the reputation problem, it was not due to my character getting caught commiting a crime.

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Since you're here Macbeth
I'm always here ;-)

In what version of the AME do you see such issues?
It is written in the main menu left bottom corner or in the doc-file in game folder.
Was this issue some time ago (before Dec, 15) or currently?

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Dialogues are packed in dat-files (arcanum3.dat). But if you unpack them and put dialogue files in the correct folder (...\Arcanum\data\dlg), the game will take in account files in this folder and will ignore the same files that packed in .dat. Create folder if it is absent.
You may unpack .dat yourself using special soft DATBuilder.exe (in the root of the game), or I can send you .dlg file you need. For every character there is at least one .dlg

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
blessedCoffee, we have reports about reaction issues not very often, but we cannot play back them, unfortunately.
If you have a save with a stable bug with it - let me know.

Anyway, we will try to catch it...

Macbeth

Scholar
This leads to the following scenario: if you tell Alexander the truth about Mannox while being aligned with Dark elves, K'an Hua should come in and actually send you to the void instantly, with a juicy dialogue before.
Alexander in my game was unresponsive, still telling me that I should talk to K'an Hua (I had already talked to him).

Alexander and Kan Hua were tested. There is no problem there. Everything works fine. Save file can be provided.
We suppose that internal game logic was broken somewhere because of player's some unlogic actions.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm always here ;-)

In what version of the AME do you see such issues?
It is written in the main menu left bottom corner or in the doc-file in game folder.
Was this issue some time ago (before Dec, 15) or currently?

Version 1.4.0.0.

And after december, 15 (I installed Arcanum 1/31/2019).

blessedCoffee, we have reports about reaction issues not very often, but we cannot play back them, unfortunately.
If you have a save with a stable bug with it - let me know.

Anyway, we will try to catch it...
I don't have a save file, where the bug is triggered consistently, unfortunately. I took some screenshots, if you're interested. -> https://imgur.com/a/eGROzUb

I noticed that if you quit the game, and start it again, it usually makes things return to normal (the "Reaction" value loads correctly).

So it is an annoyance, as is the occasional crash to desktop. But it's not maddening.

My character is currently lvl 41, and I'm about continue the main quest (after delivering the ring to Bates, I decided to do many side quests, in different towns. And grind, to improve my group).

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I found a problem in the island where Thorvald (a dwarf) lives. The protagonist always gets stuck, inside The Pit:

I included a link to the save, so you can use it, in the end of the post.

Using 'desintegrate' to eliminate the fighters, always makes the game unfinishable, in the second fight (the first battle goes normally, and you're sent back, near Gorrin's location). Saving while there, and reloading, doesn't change a thing (Another save, here. No way out, the crowd merely watches you, doing nothing).
Either disable the 'desintegrate' spell, in The Pit, or allow it to be used against all the fighters. Having inconsistency is a bad thing. Just my 2 cents.

And using 'succour beast' to assist you in the fight, some times get's you stuck in The Pit, forever (it probably happens to other summoning spells, but I haven't tested). Don't ask me why using magic is so problematic, in this specific place.

If you want to test it yourself, here is the save you can use, to talk with Gorrin, the Pit Master.

Macbeth

Scholar
Using 'desintegrate' to eliminate the fighters, always makes the game unfinishable
Original bug. Partially fixed. Some issues may happen with three hobbits if you kill one of them with desintegrate, and others with a melee. We'll think about it more.
Thanks.

I've come across a bug. When I give the camera to Ristezze in Shrouded Hills in exchange for info about the ring, the next dialogue is blank. Clicking on anything returns to the start of the dialogue but the camera is gone from my inventory and Ristezze acts as if I didn't give it to him.

Also, the version is stuck at 1.4.0.0. If I check the auto-update option, the game opens and closes again and again as reported here:
How/where exactly did you install it?
I also have the GOG edition. I installed in it the GOG/Arcanum folder. Installation seemed to go well. But whenever I try to launch the game something weird happens. The launcher seems to continually open and close. And all open programs seem to be alt-tabbing or it might be that my resolution is continually changing or something. Anyone have an idea what's causing this?

Macbeth

Scholar
Maybe you have some problems with OS?
There shouldn't be any troubles during installation. But you should stop AV, as they are too sensitive these days.

And re-install the game.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Macbeth, is there a way to extract all 2D assets from arcanum and replace them with something else? As in, different images?

Master

Arbiter
Hey Macbeth, is there any way to make it for the player to have the first turn in combat? It was mentioned before, dont know if it was answered.

user

Savant
Wanted to replay it, can anyone suggest any mods/overhauls?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom