Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iconic games that haven't had a proper spiritual successor

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of them had been said so I can only contribute with Little Big Adventure. I miss Twinsen :(

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Another one: Mass Effect. These games were really popular before EA and nu-Bioware killed the franchise through sheer incompetence, and there is deffo demand for something similar.

vota DC

Augur
Most of them had been said so I can only contribute with Little Big Adventure. I miss Twinsen :(

I liked very much Little Big Adventure 2. Number 3 would be great.

Now that I think about. We are speaking about ICONIC games. What about Castle of the Winds?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I haven't seen a proper spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2 combat. Specifically, the rock papers scissors element of the mage duels. It is hard to believe how nobody tried to copy that.
I did not understand what do you mean with rock/paper/scissors in BG2, but Fate Extra for the PSP has exactly a turn based rock/paper/scissors combat system.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Freedom Force, or even a proper sequel.

With all the cape stuff being worth billions now, the advent of nostalgia-fueled Kickstarters, and the resurgence of RPG/strategy games' popularity I thought someone would have come out and done it already.

This?
Doesn't really seem to do physics based stuff which was most of the fun in FF.
The X-Men and Ultimate Alliance games are sort of spiritual successors. At least with the physics stuff, but the genre is completely different.

Destroid

Arcane
A lot of games mentioned in this thread have sequels (or two or three of them), can such games really be in this list?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It is shallow and boring but so was the original. Xcom same deal more or less.

I think it's become clear that
possibly_retarded.png
needs an upgrade... or would it be downgrade?

impossibly_retarded.png

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
PSI-5 Trading Company (1985): Assume command of a space freighter, pick crew members to fill the postions of Weapons, Scanning, Navigation, Engineering and Repairs and fly your cargo to its destination while keeping an eye out for pirates and other ne'erdowells. The gimmick is that you as the captain are restricted to issuing orders - everything else is up to the (computer-controlled) crew. Don't let its age and clunky UI fool you - this game can get really hectic at times and calls for considerable micromanagement.

Though technically not 'iconic' this is a game I would love to see remade with modern-day technology. The closest thing to a spiritual successor to this game is Star Trek: Bridge Crew (2017) though there are enough differences to keep them seperate.
You might want to keep an eye on Ostranauts.
Codex thread here:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...sim-set-in-the-neo-scavenger-universe.106224/

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
A lot of games mentioned in this thread have sequels (or two or three of them), can such games really be in this list?
Yes. The first several sentences in the OP address this. It's about under-served markets.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Monday:
"Here's Breakfast, sweetie."

"Wow, this is delicious, Mom. The flakes are crunchy and the raisins are sweet and juicy."

Tuesday:
"Here's Breakfast 2, sweetie."

"This isn't quite as good as yesterday's breakfast, and there's too much of it, but it's still great. Thanks, Mom!"

Two Fridays Later:
"Here's Breakfast 3, sweetie."

"Where are the flakes, Mom?"

"You'll need a season pass to eventually get all of the flakes, honey."

"These raisins look and smell more like little desiccated bits of cat turd that ended up under the radiator."

"IT'S THE FUCKING SEQUEL YOU LITTLE BIGOT, EAT IT, THAT'S ALL YOU'RE GETTING."

"...Uh, why's the milk green?"

"That's cold and refreshing Mountain Dew™. Do the Dew™!"

Today:
"Wow dude, Breakfast 1 and 2 HAD sequels, why does this thread even exist?"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Do you have a reason besides being endlessly butthurt at me calling you out on your childish factorio opinion?

I persist in calling you retarded because you persist in posting retarded, terrible opinions. Calling the original X-COM "boring and shallow" is just the latest example.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It was Elite I was calling boring and shallow. Xcom is better but not much. I completed it but only because I was 13. Also reeee urr retarded! reeee! isn't a legit reason. Also you clearly have no idea what depth is if you think Factorio is 100% perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom