Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guidance please.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
When I say I’m not a storyfag it just means I don’t need a (supremely) well written story to enjoy a game, I’ll take a story heavy game as long as the story is good. And I’ll check out the top 70’ list didn’t know bout that. For example, I played tha Witcher and I thought it’s Story was good but the gameplay bored me to death so I stopped halfway through

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
When I say I’m not a storyfag it just means I don’t need a (supremely) well written story to enjoy a game, I’ll take a story heavy game as long as the story is good. And I’ll check out the top 70’ list didn’t know bout that. For example, I played tha Witcher and I thought it’s Story was good but the gameplay bored me to death so I stopped halfway through
I will add a vote to Temple of Elemental Evil. It follows the 3.5 rules practically to the T. If you want a game where PnP rules are adapted as accurately as possible into a computer game, ToEE is the game for you.

You will, however, be strongly advised to download the Circle of 8 mod for it. It fixes a lot of the bugs and downright broken stuff (programming-wise; they are too big to be called mere bugs) that the original had.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

:bro:

Don't listen these voices whispering to play anything with the letters BG in it or worse, NWN (combat is a clusterfuck), once you played everything and you want more or you found out Real-Time with Pause and ridiculously stupid villains is your jam, there will be time to get back to them.

I'm not sure anyone mentioned them but if you want to try an action cRPG, KotOR is the way too go and it's really beginner friendly.

But don't bother with beginner's friendly games, and try the best ones out there with the mechanisms you prefer.

If you like blobbers (first person party based cRPG), play Might & Magic 3, 4/5, 6 or 7 even 10 and 8 when you're done and want more and of course Wizardry 8.

Third person turn-based, Knights of the Chalice, Dark Sun Shattered Lands and maybe ToEE but careful about this one, combat mechanism is really good but it's seriously flawed (Main village quests are boring to death).

ToddMcF2002

Educated
If he enjoyed Pathfinder the obvious recommendations are BG1 & 2, NWN2, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2. If the OP is “fresh off the boat” (other than Baldurs) some of these hardcore earlier recommendations are likely to scare him off.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I heard (Both) POE’s are worse than Kingmaker, so it’s not giving me much hope. I’m fine with older games like M&M, I’ve been watching this guy (youtube) review a bunch of wizardries so I’ll pick some of those up to. Age don’t matter to me.

ToddMcF2002

Educated
I haven’t played Kingmaker yet but I’ve played both Baldurs and all the Infinity engine games & NWN2. I’m about 40 hours into POE and it’s excellent. If there is something wrong with it I’m yet to see it.

jungl

Augur
my time in portia is like crack starts off slow but better rpg experience then kingmaker. DnD crpgs are basically popamole shit. Roll your 18/18/17/17/16 or 20stat8dump stat guy. Follow the linear storyline make larp choices that do absolutely nothing but affect a poorly made ending slide. Congratulations you just played a 100 hour game with less player interactivity then Mario.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Have been reading through some threads on here and I've almost choked while eating because I was laughing so hard. I am completely new to CRPGs I have only played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want more. I'm done being a casual gamer faggot. So I have questions, what exactly is a popamole?
Popamole is the shooter equivalent of the venerable arcade game whack-a-mole :popamole:, but the term is more broadly used to refer to games to with poor combat (and other) mechanics.

What is the best D&D adaptation as a video game?
For D&D/AD&D adaptations, try Pool of Radiance (1988), Champions of Krynn (1990), and the rest of SSI's Gold Box games (including the spin-off Neverwinter Nights from 1991). See also The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003).

Can I say anything I want?
As long as you don't anger the Underlord of the Dark.

has this forum been overrun by jap rpg fans?
Rather the opposite, since the Codexers posting in General RPG and its subforums tend to possess no small amount of bias against Japanese-developed games, whether RPGs or otherwise. Though the contingent of Codexers actively posting in the JRPG forum is obviously quite different.

thank you in advance. I hope i like it here.
:brodex:

mushaden

Scholar
Play anything other people have been saying except Neverwinter Nights

troz

Educated
Avoid Neverwinter Nights. That game is specifically built for faggots by faggots and you don't want to be a faggot on my watch.
I'm just letting you know I'm in steady contact with the moderators and if I see you posting Neverwinter Nights shit or other Bioware related faggotry here I will ensure swift justice via unrelenting banhammer.

You want to play Knights of the Chalice instead, son.
Appreciate its genius simplicity while at the same time being a faithful adaption with a beautiful and easy to use in-game wiki where you can actually feel the love poured into.
:love:

ToddMcF2002

Educated
What is the best D&D adaptation as a video game?
Realms of Arkania HD.

Except it’s Dark Eye not DnD
So it's an adaptation of an adaptation.

It’s similar. So is PoE. But they aren’t the same clearly. By this logic all stats based CRPG’s are just adaptation variants and interchangeable but they aren’t. The closest cousins to Pathfinder as DND is probably ToEE, BG2 and NWN2. ToEE is tactically amazing but a fairly single minded tactics adventure. NWN2 is epic story. BG2 is the weakest to me due to its linear nature.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Look fucker, the RPG life isn't some shit you just "get into." It's like joining a gang, you have to prove yourself not just to us but to yo'self. This isn't some suburban whitey boy's little fashion statement, RPGs despite popular belief ARE NOT FUN and are enjoyed by select few that embrace the full extent of what some consider underlying genius or crippling retardation.

You want this? You want the brofists? The funnies? The prestigious'? You want to be that guy the women avoid, that guys stuff in a locker, that even other geeks and nerds look at and jaywalk to dodge? You think you can be hard? Then let's see, kid. Let's see what happens when I lay this one down on you.

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

I look forward to hearing about your progress, small time. You show us your moves, you may just have a place tagging our block. 'Til then, remember who runs these streets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom