Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guidance please.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Have been reading through some threads on here and I've almost choked while eating because I was laughing so hard. I am completely new to CRPGs I have only played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want more. I'm done being a casual gamer faggot. So I have questions, what exactly is a popamole? What is the best D&D adaptation as a video game? Can I say anything I want? has this forum been overrun by jap rpg fans? thank you in advance. I hope i like it here.

deama

Prophet
In terms of combat and accuracy, the best adaptation would be TOEE (temple of elemental evil). But it isn't very long and the story isn't much. I recommend you get in-touch with your inner story faggotry, should make things more enjoyable. Also, don't forget to get some unofficial patches for TOEE.

I think right now the best adaptations that have decent story's/narratives etc... would be Baldur's gate 2(I didn't like 1st one much), Icewind dale 1/2 and neverwinter nights.

If you want to be taken as a "serious RPG gamer", I would say these are the essential games to play:
Arcanum
Baldur's gate 2
Icewind dale 1 and 2
Gothic 1 or 2
Fallout 1 or 2
Neverwinter nights (I wouldn't bother with the original campaign, not many people liked it, start with shadows of untrentide and then continue with hordes of the underdark).
Planescape torment

Once you're done with the essentials, you can then decide what you actually like in RPGs, whether you're a story faggot, or only get a hard on from combat. Once you reach this point come back here and elaborate on your "experiences".

I donnno what you mean by it's been overrun by jap fans, jap fans have their own section and it isn't nearly as active as this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, several years ago we here compiled a list of our top RPGs, see if that helps for you:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-crpgs-results-and-reviews.89680/

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have questions, what exactly is a popamole?
The term originates from cover shooters, in which enemies periodically pop their heads out of chest-high cover, reminiscent of the "whack-a-mole" arcade game.
What is the best D&D adaptation as a video game?
The most faithful one is probably Temple of Elemental Evil. The most fun, however, is IMO Pool of Radiance (from 1988, NOT 2001 or whatever), or Knights of the Chalice if you want something more modern.
Can I say anything I want?
Yes. Here we go again...

And yes, Fallout should be your next stop.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you want something like RUS)))finder Kangmaker just play Baldurs Gates.
So I have questions, what exactly is a popamole?
20171129_Thwack-Ye-Mole.jpg

Don't say anything you wouldn't say to your mother.

Black Angel

Arcane
I think right now the best adaptations that have decent story's/narratives etc... would be Baldur's gate 2(I didn't like 1st one much), Icewind dale 1/2 and neverwinter nights.

If you want to be taken as a "serious RPG gamer", I would say these are the essential games to play:
Arcanum
Baldur's gate 2
Icewind dale 1 and 2
Gothic 1 and 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Neverwinter nights (I wouldn't bother with the original campaign, not many people liked it, start with shadows of untrentide and then continue with hordes of the underdark).
Planescape torment
Fixed.

Once you're done with the essentials, you can then decide what you actually like in RPGs, whether you're a story faggot, or only get a hard on from combat. Once you reach this point come back here and elaborate on your "experiences" shit on games that's just not your cup of tea.
Fixed this too.

deama

Prophet

Arcanum
Baldur's gate 2
Icewind dale 1 and 2
Gothic 1 and 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Planescape torment
Fixed.

Once you're done with the essentials, you can then decide what you actually like in RPGs, whether you're a story faggot, or only get a hard on from combat. Once you reach this point come back here and elaborate on your "experiences" shit on games that's just not your cup of tea.
Fixed this too.
Oh woops, I was supposed to swap the ands with the ors.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have been reading through some threads on here and I've almost choked while eating because I was laughing so hard.

Just wait until your account is old enough to access Retardo Land stickies. You can't completely avoid combat in Fallout 1 and 2!!!

I am completely new to CRPGs I have only played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want more. I'm done being a casual gamer faggot.

Good. Play Arcanum, it's the best RPG ever made.

Ok, it's rough around the edges. Very rough. But it's absolutely amazing in the things it does right. Maybe not the best to start out with, but still great.

Start with Fallout 1 and 2 maybe. Then play New Vegas. Skip the ones made by Bethesda.

Baldur's Gate 1 (I find it to be very bland and boring but many people like it for some reason) and 2 (the second game is genuinely great and a true classic).

Planescape Torment. Absolute classic. Great story.

If you want more games from the current era, try Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Pillars of Eternity 2 (skip the first one it's even more bland and boring than Baldur's Gate 1).

As for contemporary indie RPGs: ATOM RPG is great, Age of Decadence is... well, interesting is the best way to put it. I enjoyed it but it does things quite a bit differently to most other RPGs, and it feels strangely linear despite being highly non-linear. Definitely worth playing though.
Underrail is great, especially if you played and enjoyed Fallout. Serpent in the Staglands is decent, but a little rough around the edges.

If you're up for some action in your RPG, play Gothic 1 and 2. Also play Morrowind, the only Elder Scrolls game that's truly relevant (Daggerfall is decent too).

If you want to get into the true classics, try out Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld. Might and Magic: World of Xeen. And one of the most overlooked RPGs of all time - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Thank me later.

So I have questions, what exactly is a popamole?

A term originally coined by BLOBERT, it refers to games with cover systems where you hide behind waist-high cover and shoot at enemies when they pop out of their cover. Mass Effect is an RPG that uses this kind of cover system.

In time it came to cover more than just cover systems. These days, "popamole" is used to refer to any game using modern casualized design sensibilities.

Temple of Elemental Evil.

Knights of the Chalice.

Baldur's Gate 2.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

The Gold Box series.

A couple of Neverwinter Nights user modules, even though the game itself and its engine are utter shit and it has the worst combat of any game in RPG history.

Yes. Hitler did nothing wrong. Go fuck yourself, you gargantuan faggot. Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game, Oblivion the best Elder Scrolls game. Bioware really improved after it was bought by EA. Go suck tranny dick you floating turd.

There is nothing too controversial* to be said on the Codex.

*the things I said about Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Bioware are actually more offensive here than the other things I said, so take care what you say about RPGs

has this forum been overrun by jap rpg fans?

No.

thank you in advance. I hope i like it here.

Go play in traffic faggot.

deama

Prophet
Oh yeah, while we're at it, you should download a program called "cheat engine", it has a speedhack feature which works in all the games I know of. Speedhacking will make playing RPGs, especially the older ones, much more enjoyable.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
You hipsters should stop recommending broken stuff like Arcanum to noobs.

Noob friendly recs:
Try Baldurs Gate or (god beware) Pillars of Eternity if you want more in the P:K vein. Try Fallout 1 if you feel like getting into turn-based RPGs.

Or try Isles of Terra if you feel like proving your superior taste by getting into blobbers.

Swigen

Arbiter
And after you’ve tried all the above recs and have amassed a hard drive full of cRPGs you’ve put like 4 hours in to, you ‘aughtta try one of the best RPG’s of ALL TIME: Final Fantasy 7. This gaem? Lemme tell you about this game. This game has levels, skills, magic, up the wazoo, but there are no “builds” you can fuck up or abilities that you find out 40 hours later are completely useless. Everything you gain is the right thing, everything you say is the right thing AND if you get bored there’s mini games. If yore anything like me, you might play a “classic” cRPG and think to yourself, “Is this it? I jus fight and talk? Where’s the snowboarding.” Well, I’ll tell you where the snowboarding is, it’s in Final Fantasy 7, THAT’S where!

Don’t write off jrpgs. In many ways the Japanese saved the RPG games genre from itself.

Trashos

Arcane
I started playing RPGs (a few years ago) with Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, and Planescape Torment. That was a great introduction to the genre, and I recommend the same route to others. Of course, it mostly goes downhill from there. The Top 70 list that has been presented to you helped me find the rest of great RPGs, although it naturally misses some recent productions, like Age of Decadence and Underrail.

I haven't played Kingmaker yet (it's on my to-do list), but like others have mentioned you should defo check Baldur's Gate 2 and ToEE based on your OP.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Another good way to pick out games is to go through our top 70 list and read the reviews for each game. There is enough hours on that list to last you the next 3 years.

ToddMcF2002

Educated
Pillars of Eternity is an excellent game. If you want to really enjoy it don’t read about all the bitching, whining and complaining before you try it. Especially here at Codex.

deama

Prophet
Oh yeah, while we're at it, you should download a program called "cheat engine", it has a speedhack feature which works in all the games I know of. Speedhacking will make playing RPGs, especially Underrail, much more enjoyable.

Yes.
Because of underrail, I became a speedhacking addict, now I have to speedhack everything! Even dark souls!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Have been reading through some threads on here and I've almost choked while eating because I was laughing so hard. I am completely new to CRPGs I have only played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want more.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-the-must-play-games.55367/
Pick one game and if you don't like it - move to next. CRPGs have several subgenres so don't despair, eventually you will understand that you love in them.
Pool of Radiance from 1988.
As long is it not "Fallout 3 is a best Fallout game'. My last signature was "all fucking niggers must fucking hang", for example.

Mightmagic

Augur
Baldur's gate 1 and 2
Ravenloft stradh's possession
TOEE
Planescape torment
NWN 2

Covenant

Savant
He says he's not a storyfag and people are recommending Arcanum and Planescape:Torment? I wouldn't want to see what you'd be suggesting he play if he said he was one.

OP: For someone just getting into the genre, I'd say Baldur's Gate 2, Might and Magic: World of Xeen, and Stonekeep are some of the more fun and accessible ones for beginners. Also the Etrian Odyssey games, if you have a 3DS.

Don't feel under any pressure to stick with games you're not enjoying - there are plenty of games that people here will swear are some sort of godly RPG ambrosia that can't be disliked by anyone who isn't a complete retard, but it's totally bullshit. Whatever you like, there's probably enough of it around that you can fill your boots without having to force yourself through somebody else's favourite meme game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom